PDA

View Full Version : Only one disliking charts?

losnana
11-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I've been trying to learn to knit from a chart for weeks. I finally ended up writing it down from the chart in words (actually abbreviations) like a regular pattern. That took a lot of time, but I could follow it. Maybe it is because I deal with words all day, not with pictures, but iIjust can't get the chart. Does anyone else prefer the patterns to the charts?
:gah: :gah: :gah: :wall: :wall: :wall: :?? :?? :??
Also, does anyone know of a stitchionary that is NOT in chart form? I understand that the Harmony Guides are both ways, but wonder if there is another.

jeanius80
11-04-2007, 09:59 PM
:psst: i don't like charts either....

I have the Vogue Stitchionary #1, and it has the patterns written, not charted. Not sure about the others though.

Debkcs
11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
You're not alone, they leave me :?? :wall: :eyes: also.

I think that there are some things in knitting that are for the mathmatically inclined. That wouldn't be me.

Knitting_Guy
11-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Charts? We don't need no steenkin Charts!

Jens
11-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Maybe this is even weirder,,I like to crochet from a chart. It's great but knitting from one is totally different. HATE IT. One day maybe I'll take the time to learn but for now I'm liking the patterns.

sinistral_needler
11-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I hate working with charts. I am working on a sweater for my mom and the pattern has a chart for the cabling .. and I had to transcribe it out .. otherwise I would have never gotten it!!

suzeeq
11-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I can read charts but I'd rather not. I usually translate into words.

Songbirdy
11-05-2007, 12:17 AM
I tend to write over charts and avoid them like the plague.

But I decided to knit this scarf... I have to tell you that this is the first time I like the chart. But the chart is very well done...

Its found in the pdf of this scarf, Brooke's column of Leaves Scarf (http://brookenelson.com/leafscarfpattern.html).

But I have to tell you, that even then... I've frogged this several times tonight!

I like the chart better than the written pattern in this... but I still don't like it!

Ingrid
11-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I guess I'm in the minority in this group. I'll take a chart over written directions any day. I just translated a written pattern into charts to make a sweater for my niece. Good thing there are both ways!

Sunny_Singer
11-05-2007, 12:33 AM
I make more mistakes trying to knit from a chart than from written instructions. The charts tend to leave off edging rows. Then it seems I am forever undoing things to get my stitches in line with each other. A lot of times, the symbols for the various stitches are too similar and I twist them as I work.

No, you aren't alone.

gargoylelib
11-05-2007, 01:07 AM
I guess I'm in the minority in this group. I'll take a chart over written directions any day. I just translated a written pattern into charts to make a sweater for my niece. Good thing there are both ways!
Me too!

Libbie :)

redwitch
11-05-2007, 01:18 AM
I like charts. I think they are like DPNs, they seem impossible to everyone when they first start using them, but many eventually get the hang of it and like them after they persist. If you can look at a chart and write down the instructions in the form of text, then you are reading and understanding it just like you would if you knit from it. For anyone who dislikes charts but has only tried using them several times, please persist, there's a good chance you are one of those who will like them and find them easier so try them a few times before you decide you don't like them, just like I would encourage someone new to DPNs to use them for more than 3 rounds before deciding that they are hopelessly fiddly and definitely prefer ML. Both techniques definitely take a while to get used to before one can actually judge whether one likes them or not.

Jan in CA
11-05-2007, 02:15 AM
I agree, Redwitch. I find them confusing now, but I did learn to use DPNs so maybe there is hope for me with charts eventually. :teehee:

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Can't stand charts. I find it so much easier to use the written instructions. This surprises me because my retention is not good. That's life though. I am just strange I guess...

KnittingNat
11-05-2007, 02:44 AM
I :heart::heart: :heart: charts. They help me visualize the look of the finished garment, especially when cables, Fair Isle or intarsia are involved. If you tend to loose your row on a chart, just mark each row you've done with a pencil. On the other hand, i was good in geometry:??

Slim
11-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Charts? We don't need no steenkin Charts!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks, Mason! I feel the same way.

MrsDavis3
11-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I discovered when I was in medical school that I can't readily digest information in tabular (chart) form. For example, when confronted with a large table of characteristics of various forms of leukemia, I had to "translate" it all into linear, or sentence-like bits. Then I would TRANSFER the information back into tabular form (if I had time!)

I use linear thought when I am knitting lace, I don't use the charts. For me it's a running dialogue in my head, and not a spatial thing. In other words, it's more like a poem than a picture. As I knit more and more repeats, the spatial understanding of the pattern slowly develops.

I also have a very poor sense of direction, and I have difficulty translating two dimensional images into three dimensions. I could never be an architect!

MrsDavis3
11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I :heart::heart: :heart: charts. They help me visualize the look of the finished garment, especially when cables, Fair Isle or intarsia are involved. If you tend to loose your row on a chart, just mark each row you've done with a pencil. On the other hand, i was good in geometry:??

Weird...I loved and excelled in geometry...but that was in high school. This might be a case of "Use it or lose it!" and I have lost it!

boo1
11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Maybe this is even weirder,,I like to crochet from a chart. It's great but knitting from one is totally different. HATE IT. One day maybe I'll take the time to learn but for now I'm liking the patterns.

Crocheting from a chart is a cakewalk, but I do a lot of head scratching when trying to knit from a chart. I'll try to get in some more practice with them, but why can't they just be straightforward like crochet charts?

bip
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't mind charts if there are just one or two easily distinguishable symbols. What drives me nuts is when there are many slightly different looking symbols. Each time I come to a symbol, "um, let's see, the line slants this way, and it is a short line, so that means, wait, this one or that one?" etc)

Here is my solution: I have a set of 5 different colored highlighters. I highlight the symbols that occur most often both on the chart and key. My brain just recognizes colors so much more quickly than symbols. Of course, there are often more than 5 symbols. I conserve colors by not color-coding any symbols that only occur a few times throughout the pattern, or those that are wildly different from any of the others and therefore easily recognizable.

This makes charts much less stressful and time consuming!

dustinac
11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I like charts :teehee: ...I find them easier to keep my place with...I can make sure the st below is correct...right now I'm knitting snowflake socks I can tell that I should be knitting a white over a blue st very easily with a chart...

I also color code my charts if I need to...usually if it's a lace pattern...this way I don't have to keep looking at the key... I put a check beside the chart row to mark it done...and magnet boards... I love them for charts...

I think charts take sometime getting used to... I remeber not liking them so much a while ago... Now for the MS3 shawl I follow the written inst. cause the chart is so large I can't fit it on my magnet board :teehee:

msoebel
11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
HATE CHARTS! I pick patterns that don't use charts. I just get all cross eyed trying to follow them, and I got tired of frogging because of stupid mistakes!

lauraknits
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I love charts! I will not do a complicated pattern that's not charted. Trying to read through line by line and not miss anything drives me nuts.

I have a cute pattern for a tank top by Louet which is cables and lace and I will never make it because it is not charted!

I started out hating charts until I simply HAD to make a certain item and the pattern was charted. I spent about an hour reading about how to knit from charts and have never looked back!

kellyh57
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't mind charts if there are just one or two easily distinguishable symbols. What drives me nuts is when there are many slightly different looking symbols. Each time I come to a symbol, "um, let's see, the line slants this way, and it is a short line, so that means, wait, this one or that one?" etc)

Here is my solution: I have a set of 5 different colored highlighters. I highlight the symbols that occur most often both on the chart and key. My brain just recognizes colors so much more quickly than symbols. Of course, there are often more than 5 symbols. I conserve colors by not color-coding any symbols that only occur a few times throughout the pattern, or those that are wildly different from any of the others and therefore easily recognizable.

That's a wonderful idea. I've been putting off some patterns I really like until I grasp charts. I'm doing a pattern now with both and trying to go back and forth, but the symbols are so similar. I'm going to give this a shot.

Kelly

msoebel
11-05-2007, 10:57 AM

I have got to try that! That makes sense to me...I think I could follow that fairly easily.

PurlyGyrl
11-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I've tried to like charts. But I get myself so confused. :zombie: I'm hoping that maybe as I progress as a knitter I'll learn to love charts just like I learned to love DPNs. That was like trying to knit while holding a hedgehog at first. :teehee:

Mommy22alyns
11-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Charts scare me.:hiding:

One day I must conquer my fear... just not yet.

jeanius80
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
my problem isn't following it or losing my place, it that my brain wants to read it like a page in a book, top down, left to right. exactly the opposite as it is supposed to be read :duh:

I wonder if making a copy that has been flipped and rotated would work?

sylvia
11-05-2007, 02:02 PM
thank goodness i am not alone
i wont even try to knit from a chart
knitting is supposed to be fun
i never thought of writing out a chart
might just try
sylvia

lelvsdgs
11-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I haven't tackled charts yet but used to be an avid cross-stitcher so I think I could do it. If it really is like cross-stitching, it might take more concentration than I have right now.:whoosh: But I will someday try something with a chart.

kellyh57
11-05-2007, 02:50 PM
my problem isn't following it or losing my place, it that my brain wants to read it like a page in a book, top down, left to right. exactly the opposite as it is supposed to be read :duh:

I wonder if making a copy that has been flipped and rotated would work?

Me too. I realized that the one I'm working on is the same both ways so I don't have a problem. I wonder though if you could copy the pattern onto a transparent sheet and just flip it for every other row. I suppose it wouldn't work if the symbols aren't reversible and it'd be hard to read letters and numbers, but if it's color coded, it'd be great!

Kelly

debinoz
11-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I have to enlarge everything to be able to see it properly. Some of those squares on charts are sooooo tiny. I also have to look back and forth more on a chart which causes a cramp in my eye muscle.

drummerboi202
11-05-2007, 04:33 PM
I dont like the charts at all. Written patterns I can memorize and repeat as I knit but charts are just too complicated. I have a pattern I want to knit that has a chart, and Im terrified half to death. I've even been putting off the project. lol

bip
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Oh gosh, I've had that problem. I tend to want to go from left to right on all rows, not back and forth. I especially had problems when I took a mosaic knitting class while working on the DNA pattern for my husband's sweater. The DNA was a regular chart where you go across, then up a row, then across the other way. For mosaic knitting, you go across, then back ON THE SAME LINE.

Lemme tell ya how long it took me to stop screwing up when I went back to working on the scarf after the class! My poor little brain didn't know which end was up for days!

To keep myself on the right line, I put a post-it ABOVE it (so I can only see work I've already done and the line I'm working on and nothing above it. I don't press it down hard so that it is easy to move at the end of the row. I hate charts that are longer than my post-its, but it keeps my place even if it doesn't run the entire length of the chart.

losnana
11-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I discovered when I was in medical school that I can't readily digest information in tabular (chart) form. For example, when confronted with a large table of characteristics of various forms of leukemia, I had to "translate" it all into linear, or sentence-like bits. Then I would TRANSFER the information back into tabular form (if I had time!)

I use linear thought when I am knitting lace, I don't use the charts. For me it's a running dialogue in my head, and not a spatial thing. In other words, it's more like a poem than a picture. As I knit more and more repeats, the spatial understanding of the pattern slowly develops.
I also have a very poor sense of direction, and I have difficulty translating two dimensional images into three dimensions. I could never be an architect!
That is me exactly, except it was law school, not med school. I had to translate all the charts or graphs into words before they made sense. Fortunately there weren't many. It is actually like translating from a foreign language! I can do that, but to actually learn (or knit) from it, it must be translated first. I also have NO sense of diredction. Glad I'm not alone.

feministmama
11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I :!!!:hate charts!!!!

redwitch
11-05-2007, 11:08 PM
The colouring is a good idea, when I knitted Print of the Wave I sometimes got mixed up between decreases, I would look at the ssk symbols and think 'decrease' which I would sometimes do as a k2tog, so I coloured in all the ssks orange and the k2togs blue. That was really helpful, but now I think I don't even look at the colours, they are just background noise.

tasknitter
11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
cannot get the hang of charts either, glad I am not alone!! I've got vogue stitchionary 1 aswell, it's lovely, also one of the harmony guides which is in written form, also just bought Nicky epstein (sorry if spelling wrong, cannot be bothered walking to bedroom to check!) knitting over the edge, as title suggests it is about edgings but am sure they could be adapted, which is also written. I spent a long time writing even basic sleeve increases out, until I could see how they worked, it was really helpful but very very time consuming!:woohoo:

monzogary
11-06-2007, 12:38 PM
I also don't like charts. I can use one if I have to, but I do better if the instructions are written out. That's the way I learned 22 years ago, and teaching this old dog new tricks is a pain LOL!