PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of junky yarn

Jitendra
11-05-2007, 12:33 AM
I spent all summer in England, and while I was there I suddenly got the strong urge to start knitting again; I found this website and there's no stopping me now. When I came home again, my mom had a big plastic zip bag full of yarn for me, that one of her friends had given her (even though mom doesn't knit much). But I hate the yarn.

The yarn is some really junky, scratchy acrylic worsted weight stuff in all the colors I'm so not into (lavender, cream, dark blue, dark green, cerulean blue, bleh!). I have no way of getting rid of it except to knit it, since I don't know anyone else who knits. I really don't want to knit it though, it's scratchy in a way that makes my teeth hurt when I touch it.

But I really like the bag it came in, which is the sort of bag a bed set comes in. It would be a lot more useful for storing my stash if it wasn't crammed full of this trashy stuff. I mean, what am I supposed to do with 12 50g skeins of navy blue?

stirsmommy
11-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Why not see if there is a preschool around that you can donate it to for crafts. Most will be happy to take it off of your hands. That way you can knit with what you love.

Knitting_Guy
11-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Goodwill.

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Nursing homes would probably take it off your hands as well, for crafting with. Try the local kindergarten as well. They are always on the lookout for items to craft with. Why not offer to teach the children to knit? You never know, one man's garbage is always another man's treasure. Good luck getting rid of the stratchy stash and enjoying the new stash bag.

Jitendra
11-05-2007, 12:43 AM
I didn't think of just donating it somewhere... I guess the CDA would take it. I haven't been thinking about the yarn that much at all, it's just been sort of in the background like an irritating noise you don't notice right away

jdee
11-05-2007, 03:15 AM
I took gave a bunch of yarn to Christians In Action, once. It was given to me by my aunt. I think it originally came from the stash of a friend of my uncle's, who had passed away. There was nothing wrong with the yarn I donated, I just didn't like the colors. Maybe it went to the home of someone who just loves it.:)

iwfinley
11-05-2007, 05:32 PM
eBay . . . . . . .

brendajos
11-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I have craigs listed a bunch of Lion Homespun stuff i came realize i would never use. The guy who got it from me took it to hospice for them to knit into afghans.

I have craigs listed a lot of stuff i don't plan on using anymore. keeps it out of the landfills and i don't have to deal with the hassle of sending stuff off on ebay or whatever. I posted a printer that my mother decided didn't work anymore (it did work crazy lady! ;) ) before i left her house and by the time i got back to my house 2 hours later, it was spoken for and someone met me to pick it up. I never even got on my property with it! I love craigs list! :happydance: The moral of my story is to always consider donating it somewhere before dumping it. Someone will take almost anything you have... even broken stuff sometimes! :muah:

Jan in CA
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm making squares for Sandy with mine.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67442

msmelody
11-06-2007, 06:21 AM
If it is worsted weight and machine washable, you can sell it to me, and I can make charity things with it.:p :roflhard:

monzogary
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
You could always just do some charity knitting with it - maybe pet snugles since they won't care if the blanket is really nice or not.

madametj
11-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Donate it to a charity knitting club if you can find one. if not, salvation army or a thrift store would probably be easiest.:thumbsup:

Jitendra
11-07-2007, 12:19 AM
if I donate it all to the canadian diabetes association, then all I have to do is put it out on my door step; and in a couple of weeks I could go buy it again from Value Village.

Or I could donate it to my old elementary school; I know that when I was ten they taught knitting. I wonder if they still do.