PDA

View Full Version : question about socks....

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm having an issue... i frogged the sock i made... i put it on my foot and it wouldn't stay up... this is the same complaint i have with store bought wool socks...

So i was wondering if anyone here had any experience adding elastic (the thin, thread elastic stuff) to the cuff of the sock and how well it held up?

Catz
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi, I don't have any experience on knitting socks. I'd like to try sometime. Maybe if you knitted the thin thread elastic in with the sock wool while doing the rib. Maybe that would work.

drummerboi202
11-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Yes, knitting it in sounds like it may work, but I would wait and get confimation from one of the more experienced members, since it seems that Catz and I both have never tried it.

Solargirl
11-05-2007, 06:54 PM
While I myself have never had this problem, I do spend an awful lot of time knitting socks. The elastic might work, but I can see it wearing out over time, and not being tough enough to hold up the whole sock. What I would suggest is to pick up your stitches at the top of the sock and knit a very tight rib going up. You can do this either by using much smaller needles (go down at least two sizes), or by decreasing stitches going into your rib, or both.

Since this appears to be an ongoing problem (you probably have wonderfully svelte calves, you lucky girl), if I were you, I'd probably use smaller needles for the top couple inches (or maybe even the whole leg!) of all my future socks. It sounds like your socks need to be tighter in general.

Hope this helps!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-05-2007, 07:07 PM
when i put the sock on, my foot stretched it pretty well... this pair is for someone who does have skinny calves and ankles (my Mom)... i bought some of that thread elastic stuff so i'm going to try putting it in those...

these socks i'm using the size 3 dpns and the sensations wool blend in purple...

Solargirl
11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe when you put on the elastic thread, try using size 1 dpns instead. That will certainly tighten things up. It will also make it easier to thread the stitches.

Songbirdy
11-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I knit elastic thread into my hubbies socks. He wears them in his work boots which are steel toe dairy men boots.

(Think long, really heavy rubber boots)

Anyhow... I tried to get away without doing it and he actually frogged the project for me to show me how serious he was about the lack of elastic thread.

I just buy the kind that is on spools, Dritz was the brand once.

I simply run it along with the yarn and I do knit up the whole spool. Typically this runs about 3 to 4 inches into the sock.

Since these are work socks... they are about 2 inches of ribbing (K2, P2 ribbing) and then stocking sts the rest of the way...

He says they are great and it works well. And the elastic is covered so the elastic part doesn't ever bother him.

It washes up just as well as the socks... His first pair are on 18 months now... and holding fine so...

hope that helps!

redwitch
11-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I think knitting elastic would be a big help for you, but if they are falling down they are likely too big. Try doing the socks in 2x2 ribbing, and smaller, this pulls in the best, and do the top several inches on smaller needles.