PDA

View Full Version : Need help with yarn please!

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
:?? :?? :?? :?? I want to make a baby outfit. The pattern calls for Rowan Designer DK Wool. I can't knit with wool because of allergies. Can anyone suggest a DK yarn for a baby outfit that is acrylic and would be nice and soft for the little one? Does Caron Simply Soft put out an equivalent yarn to the one mentioned above? Thanks in advance for all your help.

drummerboi202
11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Im allergic to wool also. Sucks, doesnt it? Simply Soft has a special baby yarn but its fingering weight. It may work if you do a ton of math to convert it. You can get it on their websie. But I know normal Simply Soft is worsted weight so it may be too thick. Also, in my opinion, I dont find Simply Soft all that soft.

cftwo
11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I've seen a lot of DK weight acryllic yarns - Bernat has a few - particularly in traditional baby colors. Check out the yarn section of Michael's or WalMart. I'm sure you'll find something.

If you'd like a higher end yarn, try some cottons. I've used Little Lehigh yarn (acryllic/cotton blend) and Wildflower DK (100% cotton) and both are nice to work with. The Wildflower has a nice range of colors to consider, too, if you'd like to do something like red.

suzeeq
11-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Simply soft is thin enough you could probably sub that for the yarn in the pattern. Do a sample with the needles suggested and see if that works. The SS Baby is the same weight as the regular. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, their Soft Delight baby yarn is about DK and is as delightfully soft as the name suggests. Paton's has a baby yarn that may be about right.

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Simply soft is thin enough you could probably sub that for the yarn in the pattern. Do a sample with the needles suggested and see if that works. The SS Baby is the same weight as the regular. If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, their Soft Delight baby yarn is about DK and is as delightfully soft as the name suggests. Paton's has a baby yarn that may be about right.

Thanks suzeeq. I am in Canada. I don`t think I have ever seen a Hobby Lobby in Canada but we DO have a Michael`s right down the street from my house. I will venture out tomorrow if the rain stops. I have nothing on the needles right now but the afghan and I don`t want to work on that right now. I have to admit to being tired of cables for the time being. It is time for a little mindless knitting, so baby outfit here I come.

:aww: :hug:

hocns
11-06-2007, 06:59 AM
A friend of mine who knits lots of baby stuff uses Wendy's Peter Pan DK with her fingering weight patterns. All her stuff turns out fine, and she says the slightly heavier yarn gives a lot of body to the garment. And it is really soft.