PDA

View Full Version : characteristics of different stitches

sayhellotoerin
11-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello! New knitter here.

Does anyone know of a good source of info on the different characteristics of different stitches? Like, which stitches use up more or less yarn...or which stitches are stretchier than others, etc...

An on-line info source would be great, but I'm also looking for a good knitting "encyclopedia" to have on hand (one that's good for beginners).

Thanks for your insight!

Erin

MrsDavis3
11-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Expensive, but all-inclusive is "The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting" by June Hemmons Hiatt for between $150 and $200, I think.

P.S. David Reidy reviewed this book in episode something-or-other of his podcast, "Sticks and Strings".

suzeeq
11-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Garter stitch is stretchier than stockinette, it's rows and sts per inch are just about equal, and it uses up more yarn than stockinette. Lace knitting stretches, so it's wider than stockinette in the same yarn on the same needles. 2x2 ribbing is stretchier than 1x1.

janettle
11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
The book below does discuss, to some degree, the stretchiness of various stitches, but may not get into the depth you want.

Anyway, I keep a copy of this book in my knitting bag. It's 400+ pages, easy to carry around, and it usually answers whatever question I have. I think it could serve as a portable encyclopedia from beginner level to well beyond. Amazon currently has it for $10.17.

The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask by Margaret Radcliffe.