PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Knitting KAL

drummerboi202
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I've never done a knit along before, so forgive me if Im doing this wrong. But I propose there be a knit along for Christmas gifts. We can knit all the stuff we have to knit for Christmas together. If theres already one like this or this isnt the way we do things, just tell me and I'll delete the post.

Lady Violet
11-05-2007, 08:38 PM
i was actually thinking we kind of needed something like this. yeah, i'm totally in. :thumbsup:
i am currently working on a rainy day scarf in mmmmalabrigo. (it's my first - for both!) that stuff really does knit like a dream. that's all i've got OTN so far, but i'm knitting everything this year (i know, :eyes:) so i'll have a lot more before too long. i think i'll have a couple going at a time so i don't get tired of one project.

stirsmommy
11-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I am so in for this. I really need to kick into gear. By Christmas I still need to seam 1 and felt both pairs of clogs, finish my pig bag, knit two wraps, two sweaters, 3 scarves and one or two more bags. Oh and one stocking. There that is it. I think. What the heck was I thinking when I made up this list. I have only been knitting six months; stupid, stupid, stupid. Too late now I have most of the yarn. The worst is the wraps. I am really struggling and may have to frog and find a new pattern. Something more feather/ fan like. I think the one I am doing is out of my league.

Lady Violet
11-05-2007, 10:41 PM
:shock:
and i thought my list was long. i guess it helps that my world's pretty small. :roll:

stirsmommy
11-05-2007, 11:47 PM
I just have to kick it in gear. I think that I will be ok if I can just get the wraps done or at least start making some serious progress. Still trying to see if I can find a plan b.

hob
11-06-2007, 12:01 AM
im in, not 100%sure of everything im makeing yet but there will be slipers, and a photo frame hopefully a baby blanket and i have done a cardi all ready.(little baby size one) oh and barbie clothes are on my to do list aswell. all small things so hopefully i will be done in time.

drummerboi202
11-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Great! Thats an extensive list there, stirsmommy. I only commited myself to making stuff for my DGM (dear grandmother), but I think I may make more than that. Im making her a huge yellow and white scarf that I barely have started, plus a matching ear warmer and a bag to put it all in. Then I think I'll try to knit my DSM (dear stepmom) a hat and maybe some gloves if I can. Then I was also thinking of knitting mug cozies to give along with my homemade hot chocolate mix and gingerbread cookies. Im thinking I may start in on a mug cozie or two just so I have something to knit when I get sick of the scarf.

Yarnlady
11-06-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm in....I've gotten most of my Christmas knitting done, but do have a pair of felted Mary Janes, felted slippers, and a pair of socks to do, plus figure out what else I'm going to make for my two eldest sons.... And I just decided I'd like to make a hoodie scarf for my best friend.

Brandy_m
11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
felted mary janes?!! :drool:

can you share the pattern or share who makes it?

knitknut
11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
I second that on the felted Mary Janes!!!!!!!!!

Yarnlady
11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
The Felted Mary Janes (http://kathleen-dakotadreams.blogspot.com/2007/10/freebie-friday-felted-beaded-mary-jane.html) are really easy. Basically it's a sock with no leg and then once it's felted you cut out the toe part and top of foot to make a faux strap!

I had to frog the ones I started (wrong needle size) and got about 35% of one done today. Pics will be on my blog in the morning.

jess_hawk
11-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I think I can join this even though I only currently have one Christmas knitting project planned - my brother's Pirate's hat. I'm doing a headband for a friend but haven't decided if that's for Christmas or what.

MaleKnitter
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
UGH!
I have a big christmas list too and it's nice to know that i am not the only one overwhelmed with knitting.
My list is as follows:
7 felted bags for my sisters(3 are done)

2 cabled baby cardigans w/zippers (1 is finished, other is OTN)

glove, scarf, and hat set

lionbrand homespun cardigan for stepmother (currently OTN, I altered pattern to make it into a long duster)

Bernat Softee Chunky Weekend Raglan for my father (I have been working on that while i read the threads and waited for pages to load, it's in my lap right now)

Interweave Knits Dickensen Pullover for my mother (my mom wants a big cabled sweater and I have been wanting to work on it soooooo bad but I have told myself I need to finish both of the sweaters OTN first)

I have been working since August, and I have made a lot of stuff so far but i have such a long way to go. If I finish a sweater every two weeks with the bags and baby sweater as side projects (when I need a break) then MAYBE, I can do it. The sweaters are all bulky knits so it shouldnt be THAT hard.... :help:
but I have learned my lesson, and next year my christmas knitting will begin in JANUARY.

stirsmommy
11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
UGH!
I have a big christmas list too and it's nice to know that i am not the only one overwhelmed with knitting.
My list is as follows:
7 felted bags for my sisters(3 are done)

2 cabled baby cardigans w/zippers (1 is finished, other is OTN)

glove, scarf, and hat set

lionbrand homespun cardigan for stepmother (currently OTN, I altered pattern to make it into a long duster)

Bernat Softee Chunky Weekend Raglan for my father (I have been working on that while i read the threads and waited for pages to load, it's in my lap right now)

Interweave Knits Dickensen Pullover for my mother (my mom wants a big cabled sweater and I have been wanting to work on it soooooo bad but I have told myself I need to finish both of the sweaters OTN first)

I have been working since August, and I have made a lot of stuff so far but i have such a long way to go. If I finish a sweater every two weeks with the bags and baby sweater as side projects (when I need a break) then MAYBE, I can do it. The sweaters are all bulky knits so it shouldnt be THAT hard.... :help:
but I have learned my lesson, and next year my christmas knitting will begin in JANUARY.

You sound like me. Didn't you make the damask bag for one of your sisters? What did you use for the handle? I am still trying to decide for the I made for my sil.

Sunny_Singer
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I get bored working with one color and upon realizing it, I have started a number of projects at once. When I get bored with one color or color combination, I flip project which means I am changing needle size as well.

Right now, I am working on finishing a 10 foot long scarf, a stole, Christmas star ornaments, hot pads/trivets, coasters, a baby blanket and poncho.

drummerboi202
11-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Wow! You all have absolutey huge lists! I managed to finish another stripe on my Gram's scarf today, as well as knit the test swatch for the mug cozy. :woohoo: And I love those felted Mary Janes. If I could work comfortably with wool, I would add those to my christmas list for my stepmom, but unfortunately, my stupid wool allergy has prevented me from doing so. I never thought being allergic to wool would be a big deal, until I started knitting. I've been thinking of getting a ball of alpaca just to see if Llama wool bothers me as much as Sheep wool does. But of course it would have to be a rather small ball because if it does bother me, then all that wonderful alpaca yarn would go to waste.

Firey Vixxen
11-07-2007, 07:12 AM
I have to join this KAL. I'm making my BFF's Teddy bears (3 total), my floormate a scarf (which I finished today:woot: :woohoo: :woot: )and a shawl, my DLB (Darling little brother) a blanket, and then a family friend has a baby due in early Jan so I've got a cardi and teddy for them as well (What is it with having babies in Jan? don't people know we have Xmas knitting:p )
Anyway patterns for the printer and Knitting in Public is in my future-help me stay motivated.

drummerboi202
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Great! Welcome! Is it really only 48 days? I keep telling myself that I have all of November and most of December to finish up my Gram's gifts but now it doesnt seem like so long. Actually, Im feeling a little panicky right now. And I just had to tell my Grandpa that I was knitting something for him aswell. Now I have a mug cozy to add to the list! When am I ever going to find the time to finish the scarf, start and finish the earwarmer and the gift bag and then knit a mug cozy as well! Thats it, next year, Im just buying eveybody their own knitting needles and they can knit their own stuff. :teehee:

KatieBeee
11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Hello All: I think it is a great idea to do a christmas knit-along. That way when it gets close we can panic togther as we stay up waaaay past bed time trying to finish what is OTN. For Christmas I just finished a stocking for my dad with a nice duplicate stitch pattern of a reindeer on it, from a martha steweart holiday issue. (however, I am not sure if it actually looks like a reindeer, but it took me so long to stitch in all that my spindly legged deer shaped thing will have to do!) I am also knitting a hat with earflaps (from last years holiday issue of Knit Simple) for my mom and I am knitting a scarf for me.
What is a Deathly Hallows wristband? Is there a pattern or are you making one yourself? My mama would probably like one for Christmas. :)

drummerboi202
11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Its an actual pattern. Its a wristband with the Deathly Hallows symbol on it. But it uses either stranding or intarsia, so thats why Im waiting to tackle it after the holidays, because I've never done either one before. But I suppose with a few adjustments, duplicate stitch might work. Heres the link: http://community.livejournal.com/hp_knitting/557945.html

knitwit628
11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey everybody. :waving: I'm going to join this KAL.

48 DAYS?! Wow... I didn't know it was that close!!! Here's my To Knit list:

socks for grandma
set of dishcloths for sister, aunt, other grandma, sister in law
golf club cover set for dad and brother
hat or scarf for other brother
cosmetic purse for BFF
Fiber Trends Huggable Hedgehog for 2 year old cousin
scarf or hat for another brother
basket liners for my mom (to use in her Longerberger baskets)

Yep, so there's my list. I'm pretty sure I won't get to everything on it, but I'll try to do my best to make whatever I can.

ladyjessica
11-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Howdy :waving: I'd like to join this KAL, too. Maybe we can all keep each other motivated! I don't have as much to do as most people on here, but with two jobs it's still a lot! So far I've committed myself to 3, maybe 4, quick-knit afghans, 5 Christmas stockings, a hat, a bag, and maybe a scarf. :eyes: How many days left until Christmas? lol

The.Knitter
11-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Great! Welcome! Is it really only 48 days? I keep telling myself that I have all of November and most of December to finish up my Gram's gifts but now it doesnt seem like so long. Actually, Im feeling a little panicky right now. And I just had to tell my Grandpa that I was knitting something for him aswell. Now I have a mug cozy to add to the list! When am I ever going to find the time to finish the scarf, start and finish the earwarmer and the gift bag and then knit a mug cozy as well! Thats it, next year, Im just buying eveybody their own knitting needles and they can knit their own stuff. :teehee:

Make the scarf and ear warmers and put the gift bag off until after Christmas, just tell her it is coming. Then she will have something to store your lovely knitted items in during the summer. That was you will have more time to make the cup cozies and things. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Good luck!

drummerboi202
11-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Alright! Good Idea! Thanks for the pep talk, err... Knitter? lol I think we need to have names we can call each other, other than the usernames. You guys can call me Christen, or Chris, whchever is easiest for you to remember.

Also, welcome to knitwit and ladyjessica! The more the merrier, and everyones welcome no matter if you have one thing or 50 to knit before Christmas.

knitwit628
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I think we need to have names we can call each other, other than the usernames. You guys can call me Christen, or Chris, whchever is easiest for you to remember.

You can just call me Alexandria :)

scout52
11-08-2007, 12:13 AM
I'd like to join.

Here is my list
For my BFF:
A baby layette from vogueknitting-done

pair of Baby ugg booties -done

Capalet-eve from knitty.com-done

fun fur Scarf-done

Grandmother:
Shawl from vogueknitting-just need to finish embroidery ughh hate embroidery

Grandfather:
Henry Scarf from knitty.com-started

Lil Sis:
2 reversible Cable Scarves-one started

Lil Bro:
Cambridge Jacket from interweave Knits-done

Twin:
??? maybe Ribbed Bolero Jacket-not even on the needles

My Co-worker's new baby brother
pair baby ugg booties-done

Mother:
??? maybe a lacy scarf?

Co-worker:
lacy scarf that she requested

I've been working since august so I've finished a lot of them but that henry scarf is kicking my a$$. but i really don't think i'm going to get to my twin's gift. damn my work for taking away precious knitting time.

MaleKnitter
11-08-2007, 01:29 AM
for the handle on my damask bag I went to walmart and got some of their cord from the sewing section (it's the same stuff they use for curtains or bedspread trim, you know, that silky rayon/cotton curtain tie-back rope) I used the thicker rope to make a 'braid knot' and then i secured it onto the bag with a very tight knot, I also bought some thinner matching rope instead of waxed cord like the pattern calls for. Get a few more yards than you think you need, extra is way better.

stirsmommy
11-08-2007, 02:09 AM
for the handle on my damask bag I went to walmart and got some of their cord from the sewing section (it's the same stuff they use for curtains or bedspread trim, you know, that silky rayon/cotton curtain tie-back rope) I used the thicker rope to make a 'braid knot' and then i secured it onto the bag with a very tight knot, I also bought some thinner matching rope instead of waxed cord like the pattern calls for. Get a few more yards than you think you need, extra is way better.
Thank you that will be a big help

drummerboi202
11-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Welcome, Scout! If you dont mind, what are the baby ugg booties? Do they really look like uggs? If so, they would be great for my niece! Can you share the pattern?

scout52
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I think the booties are too die for and they do look like little ugg boots.

here is the link for the pattern I will be posting my fo's of the two booties that i did soon. i just took the pics but haven't downloaded them yet. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3148516,00.html

hob
11-08-2007, 08:59 PM
i have done a few barbie clothes not much but some i was wondering if u lot had any extra nice but not to hard patterns? im thinking of maybe trying to do some of my owne. i stareted my photo frame made a mistake and had to frog aww dam never mind eh? im gonna try to get some more ideas for gifts by spying on you lot lol.

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 12:56 AM
I dont know how to do Barbie clothes. Sorry, hob.

Scout, I absolutely love those booties. They are just about the cutest booties I've ever seen. I think my niece may be too big for them though. But, I know last time I checked, two of my cousins were pregnant and close to giving birth so I think I may call my Gram and see if either of them had girls. :teehee:

Yarnlady
11-09-2007, 08:27 AM
I never thought being allergic to wool would be a big deal, until I started knitting.Many people that are allergic to wool are actually allergic to the chemicals used in the processing of the wool. (Yes, there are some that are actually allergic to wool itself, but the numbers are much lower than those allergic to the chemicals.) Have you tried washing a skein of wool yarn with shampoo, using cream rinse in the rinse, letting dry and knitting with that?

Buy a skein (not ball) of wool. Run hot water in the sink and add just a small amount of shampoo. Let the yarn soak till luke warm. Remove the yarn, gently squeeze. Refil the sink with hot water and add a little bit of cream rinse. Let the yarn soak again till lukewarm. Remove yarn, gently squeeze, wrap in bath towel, and step on it a few times to get the rest of the excess water out. Hang to drip dry.

Then try and knit. If you still have a reaction, then you have an allergy to the wool, if not, it's the chemicals. And although it's a pain to have to wash your wool before using, at least you can and you'll be able to make fulled items. :-P

ladyjessica
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I think we need to have names we can call each other, other than the usernames.

I'm just Jessica. :thumbsup:

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow, Yarn Lady, I never even considered that. I just know that when I was a child, I had wool sweaters and such that my relatives would buy me for Christmas, and if I ever wore them I had to wear a thermal underneath, because otherwise I would break out in hives and start itching. Plus, my mom and my sister are allergic also. So I've just tried to stay away from the wool yarn also, and if I feel them, I be quick about it so its not in contact for too long. But I think I may try that and knit with it to see if my fingers break out.

Hello, Jessica. :waving:

stirsmommy
11-09-2007, 02:24 PM
:woohoo: The two pairs of clogs are fulled and nearly dry. I finally have reached an accord with the first wrap I started and think I might actually accomplish them. And th pig bag is just needs seaming a face and fulling. Well it will still need lining but that I can do later as it is for my daughter so if it is dry I can do it the night before her b day. I need to work about thirty rows a day on the wraps plus some on the other items as well. I just have to focus on what I am doing.

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Thats fairly good progress, Melissa. Is it okay if I call you that?

Im still on the scarf. I was going to start the earwarmer, until I realized that I was kntting the scarf on the needles I needed for the earwarmer. :doh: And I had started the mug cozy but then I realized that I had measured my swatch wrong and it was actually 5 stitches to an inch, not 6. And then I had to frog it all because it was ten stitches too long and ended up being 12 inches intead of 10 1/2. I really need to invest in a tape measure rather than a ruler I printed off the internet. Im going to look for one today, so then I can measure how long the scarf needs to be and then measure the stripes and calculate how many more stripes I need.

ETA: I just realized that lots of KAL's have little signature icons. Do you guys think we need some? I could probably whip up a couple in photoshop. What would we want on them?

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Okay, because Im terribly impatient I've already made up a few icons. only one of them so far looks good as a small one, so only that one will fit in the signatures. Unless you want a big one in your signature. The others are larger and might fit better somwhere else, like maybe Ravelry or your blog or something. They were just such good pictures, I couldnt pass them up. I've put them on my photobucket so you guys can use them.

The smallest one (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/drummerboi202/KALornamentsblue100.jpg)

The bigger ones below:

Blue (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/drummerboi202/KALornamentsblue.jpg)Ornaments

Gold (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/drummerboi202/KALornament.jpg)Ornaments

Candle-y (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/drummerboi202/KALcandles.jpg)Things

If you need one just a bit smaller or larger, tell me, but I cant guarantee it will look good. Also, if you have a request or have a picture you want as an icon, let me know and I'll try to make it to the best of my photoshopping abilities.

ETA: Here's (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/drummerboi202/KALornamentsblue80.jpg) a even smaller version of the blue.

Sunny_Singer
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
My order from elmore-pisgah - the manufacturers of Peaches and Creme cottons arrived and now I am in the midst of knitting 3 throw rugs. I love this yarn and the cones make it so I won't have a lot of knots.

I am knitting one in "desert colors", one in shaded denim and one in peach, light blue and cream. I only started them on Wednesday and all three are over 12 inches long all ready.

The desert one if for my sil Pam and spouse, the denim is for sil Sandy and spouse, and the other for sil Terry and spouse.

Sunny

scout52
11-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Drummerboi

how big is your niece? i used lionbrand suede and when i used size 4 and 5 needles I had to frog back because they weren't booties but slippers. they were the size of my hand. about 5 1/2 inches long they could have fit a toddler. i had to size down the needles to i think 2 and 3 to get them to be baby size.

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I just counted and realized that my niece is already 22 months! I didnt even realize that. But If they would have fit a toddler then they may fit her. Im not sure. I may see her in a few days so I'll check out her feet, lol. Also Im thinking it might not be too hard to attach a sole so then she can walk about in them. We live in the middle of the desert, so there shouldnt be any problems with snow. And, her birthday is in late January, so I can start them after Christmas.

trollgirl
11-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Oo! I want to join!

I don't have an extensive list, and I've already made one of the gifts and gifted it before Christmas (because it got cold and I wanted her to have it early).

But I need to make:

Branching Out for my bf's mother (maybe I won't give it to her if it's a disaster though)

A pair of socks for bf

Something for bf's dad's partner - I consider this the non-essential gift because I don't yet know how she'll react. But she's a sweet lady so I think she will be quite delighted.

Firey Vixxen
11-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Thats fairly good progress, Melissa. Is it okay if I call you that?

Im still on the scarf. I was going to start the earwarmer, until I realized that I was kntting the scarf on the needles I needed for the earwarmer. :doh: And I had started the mug cozy but then I realized that I had measured my swatch wrong and it was actually 5 stitches to an inch, not 6. And then I had to frog it all because it was ten stitches too long and ended up being 12 inches intead of 10 1/2. I really need to invest in a tape measure rather than a ruler I printed off the internet. Im going to look for one today, so then I can measure how long the scarf needs to be and then measure the stripes and calculate how many more stripes I need.

ETA: I just realized that lots of KAL's have little signature icons. Do you guys think we need some? I could probably whip up a couple in photoshop. What would we want on them?

Whoa Chris, those KAL buttons so much better then what I was going to suggest (holly with yarn instead of berries). I've already saved the blue one and it's about to be added.
On the tape measure, in Oz we had a sale at lincraft where if you spent $30 you got a free tapemeasure. and coz I'm so frequently there they let me have one even though I was a couple of bucks short (ask and you shall receive :) ) Check out if somewhere near you has a freebie offer-it's not adding to your stash, It's stocking up on necessities to get a Freebie ;) :roflhard:
And just to panic-I mean MOTIVATE everyone... 45 days!!! (I need to get my butt into gear)

stirsmommy
11-09-2007, 11:30 PM
AAAgh only 45. I am dying. I have got to start going faster. Perhaps I need to just knit. No housework, no homeschooling, no cooking, no nothing til I catch up. The scarf I am working on is up to 30 inches. What is a good length for a manly scarf? 50? 60? I will probably work on in it the rest of this evening. I at least want to get to where I have to change skeins tonight. Tomorrow I am going to try for at least twenty rows on my wrap. Then I will work on either my stocking or finish the scarf. I really need to start getting somethings actually finished. I have so much to do.
And yes calling me Melissa works for me.

drummerboi202
11-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Squee! Hobs and Firey Vixxen, you guys have no idea how happy it made me to see those icons in your signatures. I was trying to make the icons smaller but I didnt think the words would be big enough. So sorry, hobs, if its a little too big for you. And Vixxen, Im glad you downsized it. It looks rather good. I kept trying to make a mantle with a knit stocking, but my copy and paste tactics werent working. My photoshop skills aren't the greatest. I ended up just image searching christmas and got the pictures and then added the words. So I cant take all the credit. But, if anybody with better photoshop skills than me wants to give it a shot, go ahead. In the meantime, I'll work on trying to make a decent icon with Vixxens idea on it. I may be able to do it.

Also, Vixxen, what is Oz?

Melissa, I usually just end up knitting the scarves to the point where I can hang them around my neck and have the cast on and the needle at my waist. And then I bind off and hope to God the person I making the scarf for has a torso like mine. :teehee: But I would make it 60 to be sure. A little long wouldnt hurt.

hob
11-10-2007, 12:41 AM
AAAgh only 45. I am dying. I have got to start going faster. Perhaps I need to just knit. No housework, no homeschooling, no cooking, no nothing til I catch up. The scarf I am working on is up to 30 inches. What is a good length for a manly scarf? 50? 60? I will probably work on in it the rest of this evening. I at least want to get to where I have to change skeins tonight. Tomorrow I am going to try for at least twenty rows on my wrap. Then I will work on either my stocking or finish the scarf. I really need to start getting somethings actually finished. I have so much to do.
And yes calling me Melissa works for me.
i know thats so right dont do nothing but knit 45days ur jk right -knits faster-

Firey Vixxen
11-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Also, Vixxen, what is Oz?

*Major Aussie/Ozzie Acsent* Oz is Australia, mate. LOL
I have no idea how big the lincraft chain is and if it's in America, but somewhere is bound to have a simular offer
FV

MaleKnitter
11-10-2007, 02:10 AM
Okay, I have finished the back and one sleeve of my DD's Pullover. So, it is halfway finished (unless you count the seaming and such) but I have one more sleeve and the front to finish THEN I have a front right section to finish on a duster, two sleeves and the front ribbed band (I would say that the duster is about half done as well) and then I have a Dickenson Pullover to start and finish, I think that if i finish the two half done sweaters by december then I can do it. I bet the Dickenson Pullover goes by pretty fast, I love to make cabled things and i know that i will WANT to work on it (it's 3 AM and I keep telling myself "just one more row")

Then I still have some felted bags to finish (and some to start)
and a scarf... AAAAH I dread scarves, they take soooooo long and they have to be really long, the scarf is WAAAAAY at the bottom on my list of priorities though, if I dont have the time to finish it then I will buy one and pretend that i made it :p

scout52
11-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Drummerboi I love the KAL designs you made but i don't know how to add it to my sig. How do i do it?

uggg i only have 20" done on my sis' scarf and still haven't added any more to my grandfathers scarf. will be working on that tomorrow. i may have to call in sick to work just to get this done. the problem is i have been working 11 to 12 hr days at work.

i NEED a day off just to catch up on my knitting. especially since i found out i can't go home for thanksgiving and i had been counting on a 6hr plane ride of uninterrupted knitting. which means 12 hrs roundtrip. damnit. so i think a feel the flu coming. yep i think i feel it.

Firey Vixxen
11-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Scout, open the pics and right click on the image. cick save as and save to your computer. go to userCP and edit signiture. in the image box area click browse then find the button. select image and say ok. click upload image. click insert into signiture. check your sig, save your sig.
That's basicly how I did it.
FV

scout52
11-10-2007, 02:16 PM
thanks fireviken.

drummerboi202
11-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Also though, if you want two pics in your sig, (like ravelry button and the kal logo) then just click the spot where you want it to be, and then just copy the url of the logo and put it in img brackets, like so: [img] url here [/ url] except withou tthe space after the slash. Thats what I did to get both the ravelry button andthe kal icon.

KatieBeee
11-10-2007, 06:21 PM
OK, I am still knitting the hat with earflaps for my mom for X-mas. I swear I have been knitting this thing for ages and it never gets any longer. Any body else ever have that happen?
Awesome pics drummerboi, by the way.

drummerboi202
11-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Thank you! And yes, it seems the same with my grams scarf. I've been knitting it for 3 weeks now and its not even a quarter of the way done yet.

hob
11-10-2007, 11:08 PM
i found a knitting club near me this should help me keep motvated. yay!

drummerboi202
11-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Alright, guys. In the time I should have been knitting, I procrastinated and made to more icon. I have larger versions if you guys want them. Just pm me. One of them is based of of a suggestion from Firey Vixxen. Withou furtherado, here they are!

Christmas Holly (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/drummerboi202/KALhollyresize.jpg)

Christmas Tree (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/drummerboi202/christmastreekalresized.jpg)

The holly one was Vixxen's idea. The berries are red yarn balls. The Christmas baubles on the tree are the same yarn ball, just heavily altered by some wicked skills that I didnt know I had. Also, the star on the top is a bunch of knitting needles, again heavily altered. Enjoy. Im now off to knit.

mks22300
11-11-2007, 01:44 AM
I'll join in too. I've already finished 3 hat and scarf sets (fair isle, cable, and my first lace!). Gonna start another set tomorrow, after I find a pattern. :teehee:
I'm also going to make mini Weasley sweater ornaments for my class, with their initials. I really need to get going on those too, I have 16 of them to make! If I have the time, I might make a Ravenclaw and Gryffindor bookscarf for a couple of friends.

Yarnlady
11-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Alright, guys. In the time I should have been knitting, I procrastinated Same here...except I've been recyling yarn from some sweaters I picked up at Good Will. Have to go back to knitting today! Have to! :fingerwag:

drummerboi202
11-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I swear, the past few hours, I've been knitting like a man posessed, lol. I gotta catch up!

Lady Violet
11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
what i've been doing is knitting my rainy day scarf while watching the LOTR trilogy. i've watched those movies so many times, there's nothing new. it's almost more like background noise. plus, the scarf is really easy knitting so it doesn't require 110% of my brain. good thing. :teehee: basically, i'm being entertained while getting a bunch of knitting done. it's actually making it go faster. kind of like doing homework to music as opposed to sheer silence. there's no way i could do that. :shock: no way.

drummerboi202
11-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I once knitted a wole fingerless glove to the movie Holes. I'd already seen it a bunch of times, so I wasnt missing anything. Same for the movie Grease. I started my Gram's scarf with that movie. lol

KatieBeee
11-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I do the same as you guys as far as putting in a movie and knitting. I just did the LOTR trilogy last weekend, and this weekend it is the 6th season of Smallville I netflixed.
What is everyone's favorite movie to knit to?
Mine: Wallace and Gromit: the curse of the were rabbit!! :cool:

hob
11-12-2007, 12:59 AM
im going to knit and watch movies on my day off so hmm ill let u know then? but i do like to hear eragon on mp3 when i knit its such a fab book(i HATE the movie tho)

WandaT
11-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm in ... I've got a lot already done since I've been working on Xmas gifts consistently from about Sept on. But I still have plenty to do. Does anyone else just add more to their list if they have time? I am SO guilty of that. If I finish what I absolutely have to have done, then I start adding more projects to my list. UGH!! Right now I'm working on some felted wine bottle cozies and a pair of fingerless gloves.

KatieBeee
11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Hello Everyone- I keep seeing this logo on folks' signatures so I went to Ravelry.com to check that out. I am on a waiting list...aparently there are 10,000 people ahead of me? What is this? I have never heard of a waiting list on a website before. What is beta also? Will someone please educate me?
Also, Has anyone ever tried to was a 100% merino wool garment with heavy dye? How did it go? My mom's hat with earflaps needs washing with synthrapol but I'm scared to do it!:??

Magaly
11-12-2007, 12:32 PM
WOW. Sounds like fun. I am a newbee knitter. Cant wait till I am able to be at your speed. my list is long dont think it will be finished by xmas. Just happy that we also celebrate january 6th witch give me a little more time.:knitting:

scout52
11-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Well i'm happy to say i knitted like a madman this weekend so i think i'm like 60 to 70 percent done on my lil sis scarf so i think i can finish probably by thurs or friday if no work crisis happen. which is great then i can move on to my grandfathers henry scarf.

drummerboi202
11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Katie, Ravelry is a knitting site that works kind of like a myspace. You have a profile and you can have friends and be in groups, and you can also post all your projects and yarns in your stash. The reason theres a waiting list is because there are only few people who work on the site, and they have put it in beta mode. Beta mode is when they only let a bit of people in at a time, and they work out bugs and such. There are 10,000 people that have to be let in before you. But they let people in hundreds at a time, so it should go by fairly fast. It took me a month to get my invite. This was a crappyexplanation, so if you still have questions, I suggest you pm one of the higher up members who have Ravelry icons. Two that I can think of that are good at explaining things would be Ingrid and JaninCA. You might also try Silver. I think they all have Ravelry's.

I just have to say God Bless Veteran's Day. No school, no work, I have the whole day, just to knit! I've whipped out the basket of DVD's and I think I may start with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Its my favorite movie of the series so far. But then I'll have to start Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. And later, think I might break out the old Disney VHS's. Im thinking maybe the Lion King and Little Mermaid.

KatieBeee
11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks Drummerboi, I read what you wrote and did some more digging around on the site and I think I got it. I can't wait to get the invite.
You and I were probably watching Prizoner of Azkaban at the same time today! I am almost done with the second christmas stocking while watching HP and will be starting on Ron's animal cracker hat next.
Are you still on the scarf?

March_girl16
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
i just finished all my Christmas knitting

drummerboi202
11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Yes, but only 7 more stripes to go! :woohoo: And 7 stripes a 16 rows a stripe would make that 112 rows to go! But now it seems like alot more... But no matter, because as soon as I am finished I will be able to start the earwarmer which wont take long, it only has to be 22 inches. But then I can make the mug cozy and be done with it all and go back to knitting for pleasure! Yay! But Im thinking Im not going to knit the cozy longways like the pattern says. I think it'll go faster if I cast it on height wise and knit it long enough to go around, it might work better for me.

Congrats March girl!

hob
11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
oh wow canwe see?:aww: im no where near done.

scout52
11-12-2007, 11:56 PM

oooh i'm soo jealous!! lucky girl now you can knit just for you!!:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

MaleKnitter
11-13-2007, 03:14 AM
Okay, My father' sweater is almost done, I just have to finish sewing up the seams (I have one side seam and one sleeve seam to go) I will post a picture tomorrow when I finish it. I am sooo happy I finished this so quickly, I had originally scheduled to work on this sweater for 16 days, but I did it in 9. Hooray!:woohoo: I can finish some bags now and then start on my other sweaters.

oooh, guess what! My friend kind of said that I am going to make a bag for her.... um okay? I was originally planning to get her a nice christmas present, but the other day she was talking to me like she expected me to make her a bag. I am flattered that she would want me to make her something, but I had not included it in my christmas knitting schedule *sigh*. Oh well, I have a pattern that I am sure she will love.

About knitting with movies, I used to do that a lot, but now I just turn on Sirius Satellite Radio and listen to broadway musicals WHAT?!?! a Teenage boy who knits and listens to broadway musicals? How very odd... I know it may be strange, but I like it, and in my opinion broadway is about a million times better than Punk Rock... which is what many of my schoolmates listen to.

But I find that If I am knitting something and watching a movie and I do not like the movie or i hate working the pattern stitch then that movie is forever knitted into the fabric of my WIP. All I have to do is look at that scarf or afghan or whatever it is and I just start playing that stupid movie in my brain again.

So now I just go with music. That way, I don't have to switch my focus from the TV to my hands.

Yarnlady
11-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I finished up the Fulled Adult Booties I was working on. Although technically they are a Christmas present, they'll be gifted early as my friend is sick and needs warm things. :star: Pics and info are on my blogs.

I still have the Fulled Mary Janes to do, Hoodie Scarf, and pair of slippers for my oldest grand son. All are started at all at least 50% done. I might get to knit for me soon! :happydance:

I listen to books, watch TV and movies while I knit. I've got the first Dexter book on my next to listen to pile, and my DVRed TV shows to catch up on.... Guess that means lots of knitting time!

drummerboi202
11-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Ooh, I will have to check out those adult booties. 2 stripes down, 5 more to go! And I've already picked out wat I want to knit after Im done with the Christma stuff. Im going to do the Deathly Hallows wristband, except with duplicate stitch instead of intarsia, which means I can finish that in a day or two. Then, I think I want to knit myself the Weasley Sweater. My Charmed Knits should be arriving sometime this week, and I think it would be a perfect first sweater for me.

I sometmes knit to music, mostly fast paced Classic Rock. Stuff like AC/DC, (which is NOT punk rock thankyouverymuch. I dont like punk rock.) Lynyrd Skynyrd, and occasionally some Queen. The quick beat helps me knit faster. But today on my list of movie knitting is the Lion King. I didnt get to watch it yesterday. And, so convieniently, I have a sore throat and a cough, which apparently the nurse found bad enough to send me home this morning. All I wanted was a cough drop. But oh well, more knitting time for me!

drummerboi202
11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
A very dissapointing news update (at least for me, this really has nothing to do with the rest of you): I am really actually allergic to wool itself. Apparently Im allergic to lanolin also, which I knew but never knew it came from wool. How sad, eh? And now im wondering if I can use the plymouth encore yarn I was just thinking of knitting a house scarf out of. Its 25% wool. Hmpph. Do you think acupuncture would work? lol

KatieBeee
11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Drummerboi, That stinks about being allergic to wool. You may already know this but there is a book and I think it is called "No Wool for You" and it is all projects sans wool. I wonder if that might have some yarn options in it.

drummerboi202
11-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Katie, I havent heard of that book. Thank you, I'll defintely have to check it out next time I go to the library.

MaleKnitter
11-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Okay, here is the first of my three sweaters. I made this one for my dad. I started the sweater on Sunday of last week (November 4th) the knitting was complete yesterday and the assembly was complete today. It is the "weekend raglan" sweater from a little BERNAT booklet that I got at Wal-Mart.
The Yarn that I used was Bernat Softee Chunky in "Dark Blue" (clever name). I am so happy to be done with it this fast. Maybe I can get my other sweater and 3 more bags done by December. That would be wonderful.

drummerboi202
11-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Beautiful sweater. And you knit it so fast! It takes me a month just to knit a scarf!

Firey Vixxen
11-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Wow.
Wow.
I kinda feel like I should crawl under my bed and hide till I catch up, except I can't knit there. I've only gotten a Teddy hed "finished". Admittadly, I have had to focus on exams and moving and now work but...
Now I feel Guilty for not having knitted enough :knitting: :knitting: :frog: LOL. and I realised I was counting the 25th so I have one less day to knit.
Chris, come sit next to me on the acrylic train. I'm not allergic, I just don't like hand washing. also consider Angora if it's the lanolin that causes the most trouble. Angora wool comes from rabbits and doesn't get grease waterproofed.
FV
PS. I'm uploading the new button when my net is rehooked to my laptop. they look brill.

drummerboi202
11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Thank you! Dont feel guilty. You have 40 days! Just hop along! What I discovered is that if I knit while I watch all the primetime tv, I get quite a bit done. You might try that. And I've worn angora stuff before, it just didnt occur to me that I could knit with it. So lets pick up some bunnies at the next train stop, lol.

hob
11-14-2007, 06:42 PM
40 days? gulp i defentlay need to knit faster.

scout52
11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
dang it, i worked late last night and could only knit for 1 1/2 last night. now i'm behind schedule. argggh

drummerboi202
11-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Dont get discouraged! You can do it!

Last night, I was re-reading Deathly Hallows, when my ired, half asleep brain decided to start knitting a bookscarf! Why, I do not know. So that has added to the crap I have to get done, because its on the needles I need for the mug cozy! Im thinking of just putting it on a lifelnie and throwing it in the basket until Im done with all my Christmas knitting.

Grandmaknits
11-15-2007, 07:57 PM
A wonderful idea! Thank you! I have two Christmas Projects in progress, and should be doing more. It will be great to share in each other's progress. I know I can use the encouragement. I feel like I need another set of knitting fingers!!!

Fran

drummerboi202
11-16-2007, 12:26 AM
I feel like I need another set of knitting fingers!!!

Dont we all? lol

Firey Vixxen
11-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Yes, I do knit while watching TV. and while listening to the radio. and on public transport. And I have attempted to knit while reading or surfing the net. however that only works if you read a page, knit a row, read a page, Knit a row, which actually slows down your knitting.
So while we're on the subject of extra body parts, I want an extra set of arms so I have one hand for the keyboard, One for the mouse, and two for knitting.
Do you think if I'm Extra good Santa will bring me a pair? :p :roflhard:
And yes, I'm also suffering from "ooh I should make this" syndrome. But so far I have managed to resist temptation.
any bets on how long till I crack?

ladyjessica
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
And yes, I'm also suffering from "ooh I should make this" syndrome. But so far I have managed to resist temptation.
any bets on how long till I crack?

I don't know about you, but if it were me it would take about 3 days. lol.

I'm not making very much progress on my gifts. :sad: I'm almost finished one Christmas stocking, just have to seam it and sew on the bells, and then I have at least 2 more that I HAVE to get done before Christmas. I started one afghan and, I don't care what anybody says, it is NOT "quick knit." Maybe it's just me, I do tend to knit slowly, but I was expecting it to go a little faster.

I don't know, maybe I should just buy gifts this year and keep the afghans for next year? :wall:

drummerboi202
11-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Lol, I would like to place a bet for 6 days! I've been managing to keep my temptation to start new things slightly under control. Instead of starting all these things, I now have an extremely long favorites list, and most of it is patterns I want to do after the holidays. Although I see a few from a couple weeks ago that Im wondering why I favorited them. :?? Also, I think I somehow injured my back helping a guy carry a desk down a flight of stairs. It wasnt very heavy, but now my back is screaming bloody murder at me.

But, on the lighter side, I got an email today fom USPS telling me that my Charmed Knits book has arrived! :woot: I am asking for cash this Christmas so I can go out and buy some circular needles! Think of all the possibilities.... cloud9 And m mom is expecting an over due refund check of $2,000 that shes long since made up for. So it should be in the po box also, and were going to dinner. So today should be better than I expected.

scout52
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I worked until 11 pm last night. I FINALLY GET TO KNIT TONIGHT!!!!!! YEA!!!! after 2 days in a row without knitting. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE!! next time i'm just going to bring my knitting to work. so i can knit while i eat so i can at least get in 15 min.

drummerboi202
11-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, that would mean you are incredibly talented, scout. I cant eat and knit at the same time. I've tried.

Sunny_Singer
11-16-2007, 11:42 PM
The 10 foot long scarf for my son in law is completed. I'll take piccies tomorrow for my camera does best in day light hours.

mks22300
11-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Scarf number four is about half way done, the hat won't take me any time at all. I seriously need to get going on my mini Weasley sweaters for my students. I have one done (well, almost, it doesn't have initials yet) and another one that's awaiting the sleeves, then 14 more after that. Oh, to really have magical needles like Molly Weasley, especially at Christmas time! :teehee:

drummerboi202
11-18-2007, 12:51 AM
Well, I finally finished my Gram's scarf. But, I added another scarf for my sister. So my list is now as follows: 1 earwarmer for my Gram, 1 mug cozy for my Pa, 1 skinny scarf for my sister, and 4 mini Weasley sweater ornaments, if I have time. I think I might forget the ornaments though, because its now to the point where Im dreading making the mug cozy and earwarmer. The scarf isnt really a big deal for me, but I'll be happy when I can finally knit for pleasure when I want, instead of frenzied knitting every spare moment I have. I really dont want to do it, but I know my sister will love her scarf. But the scarf/earwarmer set and mug cozy, Im not entirely sure they will be loved. My Gram will definitely tell me she loves it, but who knows if she'll like the way I made them? And I'm not sure my Pa will ever use his mug cozy, but I told him I would knit him something, and I dont know what else to knit for him. I actually think he may be dissapointed. I'm going to try to find something else, maybe a little easier. Anyway, I'll post pics of the finished scarf either tomorrow or Monday, depending on how much time I'll have tomorrow.

hob
11-18-2007, 09:26 PM
i finaly feel like im geting some place with my xmass knitting and i have tomrow off and i think we are going to have snow...so what better reason to sit inside all snugled up knitting away? so far i have done
for bev+baby = cardi hat botties
mum = sliper(just one so far lol)
jade (nice)= barbie colothes(not many i had more but... )
other= ornaments (6 and i think im poping them in the cards i send out)

Firey Vixxen
11-18-2007, 11:53 PM
The good news. I have finished my Teddy's body. The Bad news. I still have the Arms and Legs to go. And then I have to do it all again.
Twice.
:cry:
and I kinda, sorta, maybe broke-But just a little, and it doesn't really count, coz it's beading and they can be Xmas pressies...
Yes I am Weak. and I have offically renamed my tention into stress (If my Knitting was tight before...)
And I can't find some of my knitting.
And there's not enough days Left.
And.
And!
And-I want a hug:pout: :verysad:
It feels so much better to vent. Back on with the legwork (pun intended)
FV

ladyjessica
11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I finally finished the first Christmas stocking (I'll post some pictures tonight) and I have a good running start on the second one. I really need to get it and the next one done before I get into any other Christmas knitting, so I may be out this year looking for gifts. But, I guess I'd rather wait and give things next year than to hurry through them and not enjoy it.

hob
11-19-2007, 08:08 PM
i just googled hand made gifts for christmas and hear are some more non knitting things im makeing
im going to find a pome or write one if i can aboyt big families and how good they are and full of love ect print or write up and stick in a frame for my sis who is about to have her 7th kid.
im gooing to paint a pic of jack(nightmearbefoe christmass) for my brother who loves him.
and my fave thing! im going to use my mp3 player to record all the kids singing christmass songs or telling storyes and put them on a cd for all the family.
i know there not knitted so maybe i shouldnt post them hear but there with the same spirt.is any one eles doing non knitting hand made gifts?

Lady Violet
11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Firey Vixxen, :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:!!!
no one can ever get enough of those.

drummerboi202
11-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes, hugs to Vixxen. :hug:

Sorry, I havent posted pics yet, because I was extremely sick yesterday, and spent most of the day on the floor next to the toilet. I had a 24 hour stomach bug thing. But now I have a bunch of schoolwork to make up, so I guess pictures will be posted whenever I get around to it. The mug cozy has been started, but since I havent got a mug yet, I'm semi-worried it wont fit. So thats on my to-do list today, to get a mug. Then as soon as Im finished with that (or I find my other size 6's, whichever comes first), Im going to cast on a skinny scarf for my sister, and knit some of that when I go to my Gram's for Thanksgiving (because I cant knit the earwarmer or the mug cozy, because both recipients will be there) and then work on Gram's earwarmer when I go to my sisters the next day for Thanksgiving dinner with my mom and such. Im so brilliant.

I watched Transformers last night. It was unbelievably awesome. I thought it was going to be crappy but I loved it! Im copying it onto my iPod to knit to when I'm on the road. SO far on my iPod I have, School of Rock, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Finding Nemo. They're all on my list of favorite movies of all time. Im just searching for someone with a copy of Lion King on DVD, because I only have it on VHS. Then, my knitting-movie collection shall be complete!

drummerboi202
11-20-2007, 07:00 PM
So, I now have time to post pictures. Here's my finally finished scarf!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2051267476_23b80e19df.jpg?v=0

Yay!

Lady Violet
11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
:woohoo:
looks good!!!

KatieBeee
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Awesome Scarf Drummer. That must have taken a while to do because it is wide and looks long too!
Well I finished the anti x mas stocking for my roommate, and I am about 90% done with Ron's animal crackers hat. I just have a load of I-cord to finish on the earflaps. Does anyone else hate I-cord as much as I do? It makes my fingers hurt.
After that, I am bringing a crochet scarf for me to Thanksgiving so I can crochet without anyone getting a look at their christmas presents.
How many days left now?
As an aside, does anyone have one of those Sweet Life Bags by Amy Butler? If you do please pm me because I would love to see what you think about it.

drummerboi202
11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
32 days...

Thanks guys! The scarf really took less time than I thought. About three weeks I think. I havent measured it, but it hangs at my hips evenly. And my Gram is shorter than I am so Im thinking it should fall just below her hips or maybe mid-thigh. I cant remember her exact height. It has been a year since I last saw her.

MaleKnitter
11-20-2007, 10:37 PM
ooh, nice scarf, good job
.... about the stomach "bug" you had drummerboi, that sucks. But I always look on the bright side when i have the flu or food poisoning or something along those lines. I just think "this is horrible, but think of all the weight I am going to lose... THIS IS JUST LIKE BULEMIA WITHOUT THE GUILT" hee hee

So far I have finished one sleeve on the Dickenson Pullover. My mother is a very.... "busty" woman so I had to make the largest size to.... accomodate her.... "busy-ness", sooo it is taking much longer than my other sweaters. (but to finish one cabled sleeve in 4 days is pretty good) I have started on the back, it has a lot less cabling so I think that it will be easier.

I finished another felted bag but I am very dissapointed with it :wall: so I think I am going to cut this one into a few pieces to make handles and pockets for a better bag

Yarnlady
11-21-2007, 07:32 AM
I finished up knitting a pair of mittens for one of the Grands last night. Simple mittens, Red Heart yarn using the pattern from Needlenook (http://www.needlenook.on.ca/free/nn106.pdf). It's a simple pattern with a thumb gusset, multiple sizes and easy to adjust for more sizes. I alternated a round of variegated with a round of solid and got a pair of tiger striped mittens! Pics and info on my blog(s) and at Ravelry.

scout52
11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
We are supposed to have a mediation meeting for 2 days next week. You all have no idea how bad i want to bring my knitting. the last one i went to I most just sat there for 8 hours. so this will be 16 hours i would be able to knit but can't. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: oh i will occasionally get documents for my boss. but it will mostly be sitting there. I could finish my scarf in those hours.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

drummerboi202
11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
.... about the stomach "bug" you had drummerboi, that sucks. But I always look on the bright side when i have the flu or food poisoning or something along those lines. I just think "this is horrible, but think of all the weight I am going to lose... THIS IS JUST LIKE BULEMIA WITHOUT THE GUILT" hee hee

Yeah that would be nice, if I had been throwing up anything besides lliquids. It was either dry heave, or waste the generic gatorade. I chose the second route.

But I am so sick of christmas knitting right now. I finished the big project, so then I started on the mug cozy, thinking I had another set of size 6's for the other big project, and I then found out that I had left my second pair at my moms. So Im now thinking of just sticking the mug cozy on a lifeline and chucking it back in the knitting bag. But then I have to swatch and make up a pattern for my sisters skinny scarf. It has to be able to go in her hair, around her neck, and also be used as a belt. Because of course, my sister is the fashonista of the family, and cant have an accessory that cant multi task.

Not to mention Im behind in school, its taking me too long to read the chapter on the Romans, Im going to piss off my teacher, and now they've just loaded a new algebra class on top of the workload I had before. I swear, theres just not enough time in the day. I barely have time to shower! Last nights shower was taken at 11:30 because I felt icky and wouldnt have time to do it in the morning. I havent knitted a single row since yesterday at breakfast. And I dipped the mug cozy in my cereal bowl. :gah: :hair: At least I'll get something done tomorrow.

Miley384
11-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't understand how to do knitalogns can you someone explain to me?

KatieBeee
11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Miley, to do a KAL you just basically talk about what you are knitting for christmas (in this instace) and share pictures of what you are working on, and sort of track what other folks are working on too. You can post little updates of your stuff and ask other knitters how their christmas gift lists are shaping up. Is this what you were asking for?

hob
11-21-2007, 08:51 PM
i may have acdently added another baby cardi to my to do list... but its not my falt i was told to 'i want at least 2 for christmass you know that dont you?' -bev so i started another one i dont think she understand that knitting takes time any way its nice to know there wanted gifts. and the one i picked seems to be quite a quick knit so i shouldnt complaine to much
drummer im sorry u were sick and that u now have even more work to do
and scout just wow

Firey Vixxen
11-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Ooh, I got cyber hugs. Yay! :grphug:
And special hugs to Chris for getting better. :hug: Remember, Obay the HappyDance Man :woot: Scream in frustration (or type furiously), get all the carp out of your system, then good things happen and you can dance. And to get that chapter on the romans done, Knit a Row, Read a Page. then you'll be happy (knitting, yay!) your teatcher will be happy (omg, someone actually read the chapter) and you will remember more info because you have taken time to "reflect" on each page:p
Scout, have you asked your boss if you can knit in the Meetings. my boss, who admittiadly is my mom, has allowed me to have knitting as my menial task on phone duty, unless there is something urgent that needs to be done. which usually means I get off phone duty:woot: . Remember, if no-one knows you want it, how can they expect to give it to you.
And good things have happened to me. T1 at work is learning how to knit, my friend T is relearning to knit, and my friend S is thinking of returning to the flock (coz sheep have wool to knit with :roflhard: ). and I've finished a leg and started an arm IN TWO DAYS! WOOWHOO!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :grphug:
FV

drummerboi202
11-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks hob.

Poor Scout. That really sucks. I would wish I could have 16 hours of knitting time.

Good job with the explanation, Katie! Somebody PM'd me awhile ago asking what the KAL was, and I completely muddied it all up. Next time, I'll just refer them to your post, lol.

I've found that if I listen to Christmas music when I do my Christmas knitting, it makes it a little more bearable. Incase any of you do the same thing, I thought I'd give you a heads up on this thing I found. Yahoo music has a radio station like thing that plays nothing but Christmas music. Here's (http://music.yahoo.com/launchcast/stations/default.asp)the link to the main page and if you scroll to the second box it says Happy Holidays and you can choose from different styles, like Traditional Christmas, Rock Christmas, and Jazz Holiday. Now I just need to figure out where to get free Christmas music I can put on my iPod so I can listen to it while waiting for Thanksgiving dinner to get done at my Gram's!

Yay to Vixxen! Thanks for the encouragement and hugs. What I ended up doing was taking the assessment online (I do a combination of normal school and online school) and looking up every question in the book. I know, its cheating slightly, but she didnt actually SAY I couldnt do that! After I realized that the Romans covered more than one chapter, I decided I couldnt get all that reading done with the headache I already had. So I finished it fairly fast, found my 2nd pair of size 6 needles (yay! :woot:) transferred the mug cozy to the shorter size 6's and started my sisters scarf on the longer ones. And my stomach is back to normal, so the smell of meat doesnt make me cringe. Im now craving hot dogs and Mac and cheese.

MaleKnitter
11-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Ugh!
Now I am sick too:achoo:
oh, this is like the worst cold ever. I have missed 72% of my 3-day school week (i did the math) and my throat is so sore and I am coughing (and it HURTS to cough) I was going to go out of town for Thanksgiving but my dad didnt want to take me away from home when I was sick, sooo I am staying home with my mommy. It's actually a good thing, my mom would have been lonely if I wasnt here and my dad is off to see family and friends so everyone has someone on thanksgiving. My mom has been so nice today, she took me out to walmart to get food and cold medicine and now she is cooking (so nice of her. I offered to help, but she doesnt want me to be too close to the food when I am sick... and I don't blame her, it's still really nice of her to make such an effort)
I havent gotten much progress on the back of her sweater, just about 2 inches, I need to keep working.

Firey Vixxen
11-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh you poor people. I'll trade you some cold misrable weather for some hot weather as long as you send along some rain as well. Kay Maleknitter?:grphug:
But there is some good news. I am on the last leg of the purple Bear! :woohoo: litrally! :woot: :yay: cloud9 :yay: :woot:
Now if i can just get him finished and stuffed...
I can start on the pink one.
*sigh* remind me, why am I doing this again? oh yeah, coz I love my friends. at least this one should go faster as I've done the pattern once.

Grandmaknits
11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Am I too late to join? I could really use some inspiration, and motivation to get my projects done. It seems as though I have been frogging so much lately! It's my fault for trying some prettier patterns....for me, that usually means picking a pattern that is just a bit beyond my abilities..:)

The project I am finishing up right now is the baby sweater by Naturally Yours (Fiber Trends), and it has a beautiful flower pattern in the hemline. It is done with set in sleeves, and this is what has been giving me fits. I had it finished, but didn't like the way one of the sleeves appeared from the front, so I decided to take out the stitching and redo it...well, you might know that I decided to speed things up and snip one of the threads...of course it was the wrong thread, and I ended up with a patching job right in front. Ah well, I think I hid it well enough, but now have to sew back the sleeve. I need some mighty positive thoughts sent my way so I can finally call this project finished!

Thank you for starting this thread!

MaleKnitter
11-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I have had a fever of 100 degrees for 2 days now, and I can't stop coughing and I have hardly touched my knitting since i got sick, and I was soooo looking forward to all the knitting time that i had over the thanksgiving weekend.
and to make my weekend even worse, yesterday I picked up the back of my mother's sweater and I realized that I had made a very big mistake: the sweater has a few designs on it, there is a textured rib design on each side of the sweater- it goes 5 textured rib repeats, rope cable, saxon braid, rope cable, 5 textured rib repeats... and I accidentally put 4 textured rib repeats on one side and 6 on the other. It still worked with 146 stitches that i had on the needles so i didnt notice until yesterday when I had about 3 inches done.
I was about ready to cry, and now i really feel rushed because all of that work went down the drain.
I don't think that i can make everything in time anymore.

drummerboi202
11-24-2007, 09:56 PM
No of course its not too late to join! Anybody can join all the way up to Christmas. And thats only because I dont think theres much use for a Christmas knitting KAL after Christmas.

MaleKnitter, you poor thing. If it were me, I would say screw it and just keep knitting. Not everythings perfect. And considering that it is for your mom, I dont think she would mind. I think she would just appreciate that you knit something for her at all.

I havent done a thin gon the earwarmer, because I despise it, but I did get a bit done on the mug cozy and I started my sisters scarf. I completely improvised the pattern, with a bit of help from my mom. I cast on 20 stitches or so on size 6 needles, and Im doing 20 rows of black, 6 rows of white, 6 rows of black, 20 rows of white, and so on and so forth. Im now just debatimng whether to put fringe on the end or not.

scout52
11-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Welcome Grandma knits!!

oh maleknitter i really hope you feel better soon!! :hug:

WOOHOO i finished the reversible cable scarf for my lil sis. so its onto the knitty henry scarf for my grandfather thats been kicking my butt and has been nothing but problems from the start. i'm only on row 15. man do the rows go sloooooooow. there are 452 sts on the needle.

still to go . something for my twin. probably a shrug. and fininshing the embrodiry on the shawl for my grandmother's shawl

hob
11-25-2007, 06:15 AM
im sick 2 lol sick and behind in my knitting so maleknitter u are not alone. we could start on boxing day for next christmass then we would defentlay be done in time and still have use for this KAL, im defentaly gonna start in jan (i say that every year).
rights so now i need to see the scarf and the bear all finished to cheer me up pls lol.

drummerboi202
11-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I havent knitted anything since Friday. I'm a little annoyed with it right now. The center pull ball of yarn that I wound to do the mug cozy has somehow got all tangled up inside and wont pull anymore yarn out. So Im going to have to find the outside end and rewind the whole thing all over again. Plus, the yarn Im using for my sisters scarf is too light to do a russian join with, so I'm going to have to weave in a ton of ends. Im totally dreading it. And Im avoiding the earwarmer. Im annoyed with the needles cuz they seem too big and I think it looks sloppy and crappy. Its all just aggravating.

Grandmaknits
11-25-2007, 03:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I know it seems like everything is going bonkers, but hopefully, you will feel better in a day or two. If you can't finish everything, how about finding a wonderful card, and make it an I.O.U. with a picture of the finished project included. I know your mother would understand, and look forward to having the finished project in the new year.

As for ripping and frogging, I have no excuse, and seem to spend half my knitting time doing just that. I think it just goes along with the territory.

Get well...:)

Grandmaknits
11-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, and double yes, to starting on Jan 1 for Christmas next year! I hope you feel better soon.

Grandmaknits
11-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Thank you for the welcome scout! Congrats on finishing the scarf!

I finally finished the baby sweater from Naturally Yours, and even finished the hat to match, but was not happy with it, or the yarn I chose. I worked it in Dream Baby acryllic, and I am afraid to admit it, but I may becoming a yarn snob. The acryllic is not nearly as forgiving as Baby Ull wool, and I don't think the finished product is as nice. I do love the color, and that is what drew me to the yarn in the first place. I am just very happy it is done!

Firey Vixxen
11-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Chris, a trick to stop having to weave as many ends is to knit with the OLD bal and the NEW ball for several stiches. The new ball acts as an "anchor" for the old ball, so the ends kinda weave themselves. :yay: cloud9
This only can be used if you're joinging the same colour, Otherwise it doesn't look as neat as a "change and weave" join.

Matdredalia
11-25-2007, 09:37 PM
May I join? I'm knitting my poor fingers off for Christmas, though I have to finish DH's scarf before Dec 7th, yikes! (He's British and we don't have his visa yet, so he's going back to England for a time *sigh*)

But, the list goes like this:

DH: Scarf
Mom: Scarf (Big, fuzzy, and will keep her toooasty! Though I may decide to turn this into a shawl, I can't decide)
Brother: "Games" Bag

drummerboi202
11-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Of course you can join! Welcome!

Thanks for the tip Vixxen, but I think 1 ball of each color should be enough. So I'm changing colors after knitting 20 rows, then 6 rows, then 6 rows, then 20 rows, and so on in that pattern. So many ends, so close together. Vixxen, do you have a name I could call you by? Well, of course you have a name, duh, but I meant something other than Vixxen. But if you'd rather I called you that its fine. I just think its a little impersonal to call people by their usernames.

mks22300
11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
I was only able to knit a few rows of my scarf today, had to get some things prepped for the school week. I did manage to wash and block what I have gotten done so far and finished off another mini Weasley sweater the other day...just 12 more to do. :)

MaleKnitter
11-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, this cold/flu is still awful and I am still sure that I am going to die :frog: (<-- there was no 'dead' smiley so i thought "they'll know what I mean") perhaps I am being a little dramatic? but it is nice to know that I am not all alone in my
sick-but-still-determined-to-finish-my-christmas-knitting-by-christmas goals.
I finally got to the part of the back of the sweater where I actually start to work on the big saxon braid in the center. Now I am actually making progress. Before it felt like I would work for hours and only get a few rows in, but now with a pretty cable to work on, I can work on it and enjoy some progress.

hob
11-26-2007, 11:43 AM
still sick. i have done about 1 inch ....we still have a whole year right? lol:knitting: best take my knitting to my baby siting tonight.

Matdredalia
11-26-2007, 02:52 PM
MaleKnitter -- I really, REALLY hope you feel better. I know how it is to be sick during the Holidays (I get sick almost every year on either Thanksgiving or Christmas. I have an immune deficiency, and alas the Holidays are during Flu & Cold Season). Just know you're not alone! We're all rooting for you! And I'm sure there are many of us that would volunteer to bring you some homemade chicken soup if we could (^-^).

Drummerboi -- I noticed you prefer to call others by a better name than their username. What should we call you? (^-^) And just so everyone knows, feel free to call me Amanda or Manda (that's why I have it in my sig, hehe!). Matdredalia is A) ridiculously long to type, B) Impossible to spell, and C) dang weird.

As for me, well, my Christmas knitting list is growing. So far the "To Do List" is:

Hubby - Scarf (About 1/3 done)
Mom - Scarf
Best Friend - Scarf & Fingerless Gloves
Brother - Games Bag
and I'm going to try to weasel in a shawl for my grandmother. OYE.

drummerboi202
11-26-2007, 07:02 PM
MaleKnitter, are you nauseous? If you are, I have to recommend this brilliant product that helped me through my sick bout. It's called Emetrol, its an OTC thing, and you take 1-2 tablespoons every fifteen minutes for an hour, or until your nausea subsides. It works really well for me, and it has a wonderful cherry flavor. Im not sure what does it but it works. And drink some Gatorade to keep yourself hydrated. I like the orange kind. And if you lived near me, or I knew how to make it, I would definitely bring you some chicken soup and a new pattern book to cheer you up, lol.

Manda, I've said in a past post that you guys can call me either Chris or Christen, which is why Vixxen calls me Chris. Its also the first thing in my sig.

Why, why ,why did I agree to making my sister a scarf for Christmas? So many ends, so many switches, and so many tangles in the stupid Lion Brand Microspun! The skein started to fall apart so I started to wind it to find that there were major tangles that I couldnt work out without a left thumb. So I decided to roll it around an empty toilet paper roll. Not my brightest idea. The cardboard started to collapse. I so need a winder.

Matdredalia
11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Gah XD Sorry Chris, leave it to me not to pay attention to signatures :-P I'm terrible about that.

I'm really sorry to hear about your, ah, yarn problem, lol. I had a similar problem with the skein of Lion Brand I bought to make my mom's Christmas Scarf...and well, let's just say, I shall be buying a new skein to replace it. It wound up in a huge pile of knots and tangles on my couch. *sigh*

*shakes head* I love yarn, but it is very frustrating at times!

drummerboi202
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Dont feel bad. I didnt realize you had your name in your sig either, lol.

I love to use lion brand but I hate it so much when it comes to the way they wind their skeins. Theres no center pull, and it starts to fall apart after a while and its just so frustrating. I use Microspun alot because its soft and acrylic, something you dont find every day, but the plies come apart often and easily. And when the plies split like that, it makes it harder to pull apart knots. Im starting to think that this scarf might not get done in time for CHristmas if I have to weave in all those ends and keep untangling knots.

Firey Vixxen
11-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Sorry guys, While I'm quite certain you're all nice people, I've had it drilled into my head never to give out my real name over the net. Plus this is my standard username so if someone reconises me from another forum and they don't like me there... but I know typing Firey Vixxen each time is a pain in the butt so you can just use FV, like I do to sign off.
and maybe this is just me, but i hate center pulls, and unless yarn is literaly falling out of the middle, I don't use them. I can't rewind extra yarn without more falling out, and frogging is a pain because your gaining yarn at both ends:gah:
What's so bad about using the end on the outside?
FV

drummerboi202
11-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Thats okay. I like using center pull ends because its alot easier, at least when you can find them. The skein just sits in one spot and feeds you yarn as you knit, and when I need to rewind yarn I just wind it around the outside and unwind it when its time to use it. When I use the end on the outside, every time I pull for more yarn, it rolls. Which means my yarn is going form bed, counter, or chair to the floor. Then it picks up dog hair and such.

27 days. I know Im never ever going to get my sisters scarf done. I STILL have yet to buy a mug for my Pa, and Grams earwarmer is just sitting in my knitting bag, because I hate it so much. And I think I have like 3-4 inches done on theearwarmer, and her head is 22". I think Im going to slam out some school really fast so I can just knit today. I dont have to go in to school until tomorrow.

bunnyslippers
11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
You guys are all awesome. You have all made me feel like less of a nut for what I would like finish for Christmas.

My goals: A purse for my friend (done), a hat for brother's girlfriend's son, scarf for her daughter, slippers for her, hat/scarf for mom (may be on hold for yet another year), and maybe a mug cozy or two for some instant gratification.

The catch? I am working on 1/3 baby blankets for the upcoming months (I got a little excited when I went yarn shopping) and putting things away (even temporarily) seems to be the kiss of death for my projects--so it needs to be finished before I start anything else. And, like most of you, I don't have a lot of spare time (although I may start shutting myself into my office for lunch and working on something portable).

Anyways, thanks for sharing my delusions *ahem* I mean christmas goals. Your achievements are inspiring me!

drummerboi202
11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Nice to know theres a method for our madness! lol

Pudify
11-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Silly holidays *mutters something rude*. But, if we must ..

Ive just finished 8 hats, a scarf, a pair of fancy lacey arm warmers, a few toys and my sanity. Glad I only have my family to knit for, the joys of not having real life friends, less knitting-stress xD

drummerboi202
11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Yes my sanity is finished also. Dont ask why, but for some reason, I went to the library yesterday and got a few pattern books. But I didnt find anything that I liked in any of them. But I did get Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman, mainly because I've heard so many people talk about it around here. But I havent gotten very far into it, because I need to be knitting Christmas stuff rather than reading.

Matdredalia
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
So, the good news is I found a pattern for the bag my brother wants, a pattern for the shawl for my mum, and finished my first project ever (a garter stitch headband for myself) today.

The bad news? I can't even start on most of this stuff until I get my yarn. And I can't do that until I get money, which won't be for about another week, OYE! *cries*

I have a feeling that the scarf and arm warmers for my best friend are going to be veeery late lol.

By the way guys, I whipped up a little tag for the KAL, since most of my stuff is flat and wouldn't match with the other "vertical" tags there are floating around :) If anyone wants to use it, go right ahead.

drummerboi202
11-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh wow! Thats a great tag! I didnt even think of having the other icons link to the thread! Brilliant job, Manda!

Matdredalia
11-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Oh wow! Thats a great tag! I didnt even think of having the other icons link to the thread! Brilliant job, Manda!

*chuckles* Thanks Chris, but trust me, it's nothing. My old "primary hobby" used to be pixel art, so coming from me, it honestly isn't much. I'm just too busy knitting to sit down and pull off a whole winter wonderland scene XD

Honestly, after 7 years of pixeling, my skills suck. If I put as much effort into pixeling as I do knitting, well, let's just say I'd be much better after 7 freakin' years XD

drummerboi202
11-29-2007, 02:31 AM
I wish I could do really good graphics and such like that. I've tried, but considering I have yet to actually buy Photoshop, it hasnt really worked. Im hoping to get Photoshop Elements for Christmas, but for now I have to get buy on doing 30 day trials, wiping out my photoshop history, and getting another trial. Which resulted in me trying just about every version of Photoshop out there, and I really only like Photoshop Elements.

I still have yet to buy my Pa a mug. Everyday I say, today we have to go get Pa a mug, and everyday, I dont do it. By now its really going to suck if I go out and buy a mug, only to have it not work with my mug cozy and result in having to frog the whole thing. I have about half of it done, and I really dont want to do it again.

WandaT
11-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Well I've pretty much caught up on all the "must haves" for my Xmas gifts. Don't get me wrong, I still have plenty on my "I wanna do" list. I'm still working on the following:

felted purse for DD
slipper socks for DD (from Lion Boucle ... don't know about this but if it works they'll be quick)
a "fidget" for MIL (bought some Bernat Alpaca yesterday and am disappointed b/c it's not working up nearly as soft as I thought it would :( )

and 2 WIM are some fingerless gloves for 2 friends.

Can't wait until January to start working on things for ME!

bunnyslippers
11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Wanda T,
What's a 'fidget'?

WandaT
11-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Wanda T,
What's a 'fidget'?

Here ya go:

http://www.onesheephill.com/fidget.html

Matdredalia
11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
I wish I could do really good graphics and such like that. I've tried, but considering I have yet to actually buy Photoshop, it hasnt really worked. Im hoping to get Photoshop Elements for Christmas, but for now I have to get buy on doing 30 day trials, wiping out my photoshop history, and getting another trial. Which resulted in me trying just about every version of Photoshop out there, and I really only like Photoshop Elements.

I still have yet to buy my Pa a mug. Everyday I say, today we have to go get Pa a mug, and everyday, I dont do it. By now its really going to suck if I go out and buy a mug, only to have it not work with my mug cozy and result in having to frog the whole thing. I have about half of it done, and I really dont want to do it again.

Believe it or not, I actually know people who do graphic design, and do it well, in MS Paint. Personally, I don't know how, and I don't have that much patience! XD

I use Paint Shop Pro 7 and have for years. I'm kind of Anti-Photoshop, as the few times I used it at school and on friends PC's, it made my life miserable. I taught myself PSP 7, and have never looked back. It is a godsend (^-^)

Why don't you take the cozy with you when you go mug shopping? That way you can "test drive" the mugs with the knitting you already have done? :)

madametj
11-29-2007, 10:20 PM
lol, i was in on this one a didn't know it. I have about 3 or 4 dishcloths, a scarf and a mug cozy to make by the 18th of December. Any time for *me* projects? uh, NO! lol.

drummerboi202
11-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Believe it or not, I actually know people who do graphic design, and do it well, in MS Paint. Personally, I don't know how, and I don't have that much patience! XD

I use Paint Shop Pro 7 and have for years. I'm kind of Anti-Photoshop, as the few times I used it at school and on friends PC's, it made my life miserable. I taught myself PSP 7, and have never looked back. It is a godsend (^-^)

Why don't you take the cozy with you when you go mug shopping? That way you can "test drive" the mugs with the knitting you already have done? :)

Really? Just the other day I tried to add text to a pic with MSPaint and couldnt get it to work. I ended up downloading Serif Photo Plus just to add 7 words to a picture I had taken. And then I had to fight with it to get it to transfer to Jpeg. I've now discovered a new version of Photoshop I havent tried and Im going to give it a whirl. I really hate just standard Photoshop CS3 or whatever. It wasnt very flexible at all and required alot of time and effort to do something I could have done in 10 minutes on Elements.

I think I am going to take it. Im already at 7 inches and I only need 10. Im thinking I could probably finish it today or tomorrow.

MaleKnitter
11-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Thank you all so much for caring about me and my sickness. I am pleased to say that I am feeling much better now (although, still a little stuffy) and it helped me a lot knowing that "if I just lived a few hundred miles away, I would have a friend who could come over and make me some chicken soup"
But I did end up making turkey soup with our thanksgiving turkey leftovers and about a gallon of hotsauce (I couldnt taste it otherwise, and it cleared my sinuses) I was glad to miss school that week too, because we had a big food drive, and I WAS going to bring a bunch of chicken broth and ramen noodles, but that ended up being my diet while I was sick, so it all worked out.

As for the sweater, I am almost done with the back. I am doing the raglan decreasing. I am really starting to panic though, I have another sweater to finish (it's half done now) and 3 bags to make and... 25 days?!?! well, one bag can be a little late (thank god)

Yarnlady
12-01-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm finally back on track again after taking a hiatus to knit four pairs of mittens for grands. :star: The weather finally turned here at it's cold in the mornings when they go to school.

I've finished up the fulled Mary Janes (which Youngest Daughter decided she didn't want cut like Mary Janes) and one of the Work Socks for 2nd Son. The second sock should be done in a day or two which leaves a pair of slippers for Eldest Grandson and a few more I haven't figured anything out for yet! :zombie:

drummerboi202
12-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Glad you're feeling better, MaleKnitter.

Unfortunately, I think Im coming down with something again. My throat is sore, my nose is stuffy/runny, I keep coughing and my chest feels congested. It may have been the combination of helping put in fence posts in the rain, and spending half the night in a freezing garage playing basketball and hula hooping, lol. But Im now going heavy on the vitamin C and Echinacea/Goldenseal. I dont want to be sick again!

Glad you're back on track, Yarnlady!

I have been putting off my knitting. I've semi-accepted the fact I probably wont get everything done in time. Namely, my sisters scarf. I have to do the earwarmer because my Gram's already expecting it, and the mug cozy is neccessary for my Pa. I'm thinking I'll just inform my sister on Christmas that Im working on her scarf, and just basically give her an IOU and work on it like mad. It'll give me more time to figure out a faster color change and stuff without feeling so pressured.

MaleKnitter
12-02-2007, 03:48 AM
are colds contagious over the internet? Sorry... hehe.
yes, I am also starting to accept that my knitting will not be done in time, but I am still going at it like crazy. My mom's sweater is now half done, so I have about 1 sweater to finish by christmas (2 half done sweaters) then I have 2 bags to start and finish, another to finish, and another to transform.

I'll do the sweaters first, if the bags are late then I will just blame it on the slow mail. "I sent it out weeks ago, I'm surprised it's not there by now... muhahaha"

Firey Vixxen
12-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Silly, silly people, living in the northern hemisphere. *sigh* I'm having to deal with remembering to apply and reapply sunscreen:cool: :teehee: :violin:
But to help stop those nasty germies coming back try either Tea-tree oil, eucalyptus, lemon, or lavender in a vaporisor, or just add a few drops to diluted white viniger to wipe down surfaces. These oils smell good and are antibactirial. die germies die! :biting: (thats the closest I cloud find to a homicidal smilie)
but on a knitty note, Purple bear is done! and pink bear has been started, and she's going faster as i know what I'm doing! hopefully, I'll be able to get these 2 done in time.
I think i can, i think i can, *Woo-woo*.:guyknitting:

drummerboi202
12-02-2007, 03:15 PM
FV, do you not live in the northern hemisphere? Or is that just a joke that Im missing?

I dont know MaleKnitter, maybe the germ rulers have just decided that they need to send illnesses circling around our knitting group.

But I've been popping vitamin C and Echinacea/Goldenseal like they're going out of style. And I have a large supply of Luden's throat drops in my pocket. I am not going to let this cold defeat me! Plus, my dads best friend, his girlfriend, and his son are all coming to visit today, and I've missed his son like a pea would miss its pod. Therefore, nothing can stop me from having fun today!

Firey Vixxen
12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
No, I ive in the southern hemisphere, in Australia. It's currently summer over here. *Looks out window and yells at rain* Summer, I tell you!
Oh, well, we need the rain desperatly.
Hope everyone starts to feel better soon.
:grphug:
FV

Firey Vixxen
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm changing colors after knitting 20 rows, then 6 rows, then 6 rows, then 20 rows, and so on in that pattern. So many ends, so close together.

Chris, I've been thinking about trying to help you reduce your tails (Mainly because i'm lazy and don't like weaving in myself).
Could you leave BOTH colours attached and when you get to the "yarn end", Hook/wrap the White yarn (If you're knitting the white square, reverse the colours for the Black squares) around the "Dormant" Black yarn before you continue knitting so it gets caught against the scarf instead of hanging slightly off to catch fingers.
The only problem I can see with this is you'll have a border where the contrasting yarn is, but as your 20B,6W,6B,20W pattern are all even, the yarn should stay on the one side, so it should still look neat.
FV

drummerboi202
12-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh, duh, I knew you lived in Australia. What part? One of my friends has family in Alice Springs.

And thats not bad thinking. I may just do that.

I had such great fun today. No knitting, but Im thinking of knitting Danny (aforementioned son) a bookmark with his signature on it. Not his handwritten signature, but he signs everything with his initials plus an 'a'. Im not sure why, but he does. And hes reading Eldest for the zillionth time, and lost his place about a billion times while he was here. I wont see him for Christmas, but probably for New Years, so it will give me a little bit of time, and I actually think that if I start it now, I can have it finished in a couple days. Right? Ah well, even if it is one more object to my knitting list, its well worth it, because I love him so much. So Im off to try to finish the Mug Cozy, so I can use that red to start Danny's bookmark.

scout52
12-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Ok so work went well this week which allowed me to catch up with my knitting which is good because my little sister asked that I knit a rasta hat for her fiance. i was able to knit that up this week. I think it came out pretty good. Its only by third time doing a hat i usually do sweaters. so i am pretty happy with the result. Hopefully Stephan will like it.

Still need to get back to the Henry scarf. I might just have to give that one up. it takes me 1 1/2 hours to finish 1 row and it doesn't seem to look like the picture. I don't know what i am doing wrong as i have done much more difficult patterns. but for some reason this one is kicking my butt. I might just buy him something and give it to him later. or do a whole other different scarf instead.

tonight i am determined to finish the embroidery on my grandmother's shawl. i have put it off long enough. I hate embroidery.

drummerboi202
12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Keep on truckin scout!

My dad finally bought my Grandpa's mug today. Why did he buy it you askk? Well, yesterday, I was walking out of my stepmoms work with a big birthday present and I went to step off a curb that I didnt realize was deeper than a normal curb. So I ended up falling and I hurt my ankle. Im pretty sure I heard a snap, but Im not sure if it just popped or if it broke, but its painful enough that I cant put any weight whatsoever on it, even on my toes. So I sent him to Walgreens to get some crutches, and told him to pick up a mug while he was at it. But, I think the mug is going to be too big for my cozy. I would have already checked it, but I dont want to hobble into the garage to fetch my knitting bag. So lets all pray that its not too small for the mug!

mks22300
12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Ouch! I hope your ankle gets better soon!

Firey Vixxen
12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
You are in the wars, aren't you Chris. I'm sending out lot's of healing vibes :grphug: and the fact that you can't means you have to sit down and knit :p . such a shame, you'll be able to get all your Xmas knitting done...
and that'll make us all look bad :roflhard:
Alice Springs, That's in the northern territory right? (I'm so geographicly challenged it's not funny. but my DS is so geographicly challenged it is. I mean who get's lost walking round the block? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: ) anyway, I live in Victoria, in Melbourne Baby! :woot: And for all those Americans it's MEL-burn, Not mel-BORN (we'll work on the corect pronounciation of Brisbane next week)
LOL
FV

drummerboi202
12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I have to tell you, those crutches are death traps when paired with me. I constantly lose my balance, which cant be good, because I end up needing my hurt ankle to keep myself balanced.

FV, Im not sure where it is. I just know its in Austrailia, lol. For the longest time, I thought that England was in a corner thats actually part of Russia, lol. If it pertains to the states, Im not bad, but anywhere else, and im guaranteed to get us lost.

And I actually only got a couple rows knitted. I know, Im slacking. But I just dont have the will to knit. Not to mention I lost one of my size six needles. But I've been reading instead of knitting. I know for sure that Im not getting my sisters scarf done in time for Christmas. And I probably will get the earwarmer and mug cozy done, simply because I've already told the reciepients that Im knitting them. So one day, when its dangerously close to Christmas, I'll end up taking a day off and knit nonstop. And I hope to get the bookmark done, just because I want to have something to give Danny on Christmas. Duplicate stitch letters cant be that hard, right? *grins feebly*

drummerboi202
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Guess what everybody!!!! I FINISHED THE MUG COZY!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!! All I have to do now is stitch it up. I stayed up late last night, finishing it. And now i can start the bookmark! Yeah! :woohoo:

hob
12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
hi guys sorry i was away i was in hospital, where i was told im not alowed to knit! geez any way im out now and im feeling much better but i have a lot to catch up on. im glad u finaly inished ur mug cozy! yay can we see?

drummerboi202
12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh no! Why were you in the hospital, hob?

I'll post pictures later, maybe tomorrow, because I have a lot of laundry and packing and such to do, because Im leaving for my moms tomorrow. Plus, I just went into the garage where my dirty clothes are, to discover that the cleaning box tipped over, and dripped bleach toilet cleaner onto my favorite jeanss and my AC/DC shirt and bleached big spots. And I'm also baking a trial batch of gingerbread cookies, and Im waiting to get them out of the oven.

knitwit628
12-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey, I haven't posted in awhile. You all are doing such a wonderful job!

Well, I am knitting my sister a Palindrome scarf and am about 1/3 of the way done. I think I'll only have time to make 1 or 2 other presents. *sigh* there's always next year to make more, I guess. After the Palindrome scarf, I will try and focus on gifts for my mom and dad.... I definitely have to make them something.

Sunny_Singer
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Current Christmas WIP:

Rugs : Sandy
Mom R.
Karl
poncho: Felicia
baby blanket: Felicia's baby
stole: Bethlyn
pillow: Mom B
hot pads: Karen
Mom R
Mom B
Laurie
afghan: Joel
kitty litter mat: Tiger Lily
finger puppets: Josephine

completed Christmas Gifts:

bias scarf Morgan
drop stitch scarf Jackie
drop yo scarf Em
drop yo scarf Caitlin
drop yo scarf Amanda
length wise scarf Abigail
10 ft long scarf Brian
throw rug Pam and Scott
coasters set Andy
afghan Sara
throw rug Terry and Rick

I think, I am going to be able to finish these. I was a bit uncertain at first, but I have only 1 rug, the finger puppets and the kitty mat that aren't started, and everything is coming together. I have about 15 days to finish all but the stole, mat and finger puppets for I'll take those with me to NY over the holiday for the recipients won't see me til 2008. :)
I started this list because I was getting confused about what I needed to do, and it helped a lot.

Firey Vixxen
12-09-2007, 07:28 PM
I dont know MaleKnitter, maybe the germ rulers have just decided that they need to send illnesses circling around our knitting group.

Okay, We're cursed. Now I'm Sick!!! DrattedLB going camping in a storm then sharing his germs around! I wasn't silly enough to go camping in the rain, why do I have to share the consquences!
and even worse I'm feeling sick enough to feel really gross but not bad enough to be able to stay in bed all day. :pout:
FV

Matdredalia
12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Okay, We're cursed. Now I'm Sick!!! DrattedLB going camping in a storm then sharing his germs around! I wasn't silly enough to go camping in the rain, why do I have to share the consquences!
and even worse I'm feeling sick enough to feel really gross but not bad enough to be able to stay in bed all day. :pout:
FV

Crimany, everyone got sick while I was gone! :( *hugs* I wish I could ship ya'll frozen containers of homemade soup for ya' to thaw. I just have no idea how to send something like that...:hug:

In other news....I got my "big Christmas Project of Doom" done.....which was a scarf for my British hubby, because he had to leave to go back to England yesterday (the 9th). I finished putting the fringe on it, as we had to leave for the airport, literally. Don't have pics yet, since I didn't have time to take any...and he hasn't gotten back to England yet to take any.

While I've got other projects that are going to be just as big, and possibly even harder, his was the one I was most worried about, for the obvious reasons.

The sad thing was I actually cried on the bloody thing. *sigh*

drummerboi202
12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Oh, poor FV! We need to find a way to get rid of this curse! Well, FV, if knew how to make soup that doesnt come in a can, I would totally send you some soup and a bottle of NyQuil. But the soup may get kinda icky on the long trip from the western United States all the way to Australia.

Yay for Manda! Christmas projects of doom are always the hardest! Unless you have harder projects of doom, of course. lol

I know I said I'd post pictures of the mug cozy, but I havent gotten around to it yet. I was super busy. I had to switch houses again so I had to do all my laundry, and of course missed my favorite jeans and a band tee, so I threw them on the floor of the garage. Well then, the lovely cat knocked the cleaning box over onto my jeans and tee and the clorox toilet bowl cleaner spilled on them and gave me big white splotches on both objects. The tee is un-recoverable, but I decided that I can just squirt bleach on the other side of the jeans and make them look distressed. Then I get to the town where I have to stay for 2 days with my sister until my mom comes to get me. The first night was full of screaming excited nephews and the second I went to a friends house where she made me walk from the movie theater to a coffee shop a mile away in the rain. Then the next day, we went to a tech day for the play at her school, where I was up and down on ladders the whole day, painting sets. Which resulted in paint on my favorite shirt and also on my now bleached jeans. Then I got to my moms where I had to help hang Christmas lights, once again in the cold rain. So I just know now Im going to get sick again, what with all this raininess.

On the bright side, I knitted a few rows on the cursed earwarmer, and I knitted Danny's bookmark, but foolishly in stockinette, so now its curling. And its acrylic so it wont block. But dont think I didnt try. I wet it with hot water, put a hot wet washcloth around it, made sure it was perfectly flat, and stacked a ton of books on it, topping them off with a 50 pound dumbell weight. The next morning I pull it out and its still damp but flat. So I lay it out to dry and what does it do but curl back up again. I did it in stockinette only because I didnt think it was possible to do duplicate stitch on a garter stich object. Which sucks. So now I've decided to avoid stockinette like the plague, unless its in the round, or the curling edges get sewn up.

Firey Vixxen
12-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Try Heating/dampening to loosen the stitches, then roll the oppersite way and paperclip in place. I have no idea if it'll work, but rolling backwards is how you fix curling posters.
Failing that, frog the ends and garter stitch a nice border each end to get rid of the worst of the curl (The midle will flatten in a book easily anyway). A pain, but better than having to frog the whole thing.

Lady Violet
12-10-2007, 10:55 PM
can i cry now? i was 6 rounds into the dashing i'm knitting for my brother's girlfriend, and discovered that i had somehow created a hole 1 round back. i have no idea how. so i ripped the whole thing. trust me. it would be quicker for me to start all over than it would be to figure out how to fix it. the bad news - i have to have them (and a hat for my brother) done and ready to give by saturday. she's leaving to visit him on okinawa next wednesday. i might be able to get the hat to her later before she leaves. here's hoping. the good news - i'm knitting the dashing out of mmmmalabrigo cloud9. that stuff really is heaven to knit with. i can't imagine why anyone would use anything else!

i really don't know how i'm going to get all this done. oh, and i have a whole other round of stuff to finish by next week. then there's nuclear family knitting. i'm knitting FT's felted clogs for my dad and grandfather, so that automatically makes it okay to not "finish" those by the big day. i'm giving them unfelted, then i'll felt them the day of so i'll have their feet there in person. :teehee:

i'm going to go read now for a little bit before i :sleepy:. in case anyone here likes scifi, i just got a war of gifts: an ender story (http://www.amazon.com/War-Gifts-Ender-Story/dp/0765312824/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197341502&sr=8-1) last week. it's great. i read most of it saturday. it really is a quick (but great) read. i have my scifi class in college to thank for all these great new (to me) authors. if you ever have the chance to take a scifi class, do it. it's definitely an experience. :wink:

drummerboi202
12-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Ah, mmmmalabrigo. Indeed, it is heaven, but unfortunately, it makes me itch.

Ah, FV, I've already foiled the last bit of your brilliant plan. I knitted it lengthwise. I was planning on duplicate stitching his intials sideways on to his bookmark. But now I realize I could knitted it normally and just stitched them on in a scrolling type of manner. I swear, this monstrosity they call duplicate stitch is going to be the death of me. But I figure if it doesnt end up flat in the end, I'll just throw it in my completed-but-never-going-to-be-used basket and sew him one out of denim. I have some old jeans that I can use as base fabric and I'll smear some red and orange fabric paint on it and stitch his initials on it using red thread. Voila! flamey denim customized bookmark.

Sanibelle
12-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I do not think I will ever get everything done. Finished so far - hat and scarf for my soon to be SIL. I bought some beautiful yarn at Rhinebeck and they gave me a pattern for the yarn. I wanted to make a hat to go with it and pulled out my books to see if I could find anything close. The first book - One Skein Wonders had a hat with the same stitch (how lucky was that!!!). Just have to get it in the mail. Hat and scarf for Patti - hat done, scarf 90% done. Hat and scarf for Jenine - hat done, scarf 75% done. Hat and scarf for Val - hat and scarf about 75% done. Felt clogs for Patti, Josephine, and Maria - done (I love these). Still need clogs for Jenine, Sally, Michelle, and Val (1 is done). Shawl for Lana - 25% done. Can you tell I have ADD!!!!

OMG - I just scared myself when I read this post... I will never get done!

hob
12-11-2007, 05:54 PM
whi is it when one of us gets better another person gets sick? - its like pass the e- germs on. well i hope u all get better soon. im am working my finngers off trying to finish eveything but my list just keeps geting longer . i still need to do 2 pairs of slipers 1 jack scelington and at least 1 little girl cardi srug thing hopefully 2. well looks like im not in this boat alone someone pass the bucket before we sink!

Yarnlady
12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
:happydance: :happydance: I finished up the last of the fulled slippers I'm giving for gifts this year. Now all the grands and some of the kids have nice warm slippers. I CO on a shawl for myself, the Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl. It's really a nice fun easy knit. Pics and details on my blog(s).

drummerboi202
12-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I am dying to make a hat and slippers for my stepmom, but I want to wait until Mothers Day. Not to mention I think Im getting an interchangeable needle set for Christmas! Squee! That will be so awesome! But I also want to make myself a sweater, a pair of socks, a new scarf that will match all my winter clothing, and some gloves. Sigh. Im off to go work on that wretched earwarmer.

Sunny_Singer
12-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I completed rug 3 (of 5) whee!
My camera isn't cooperating so I'll try taking pics tomorrow when it is day light.

drummerboi202
12-14-2007, 03:15 PM
My gosh.. Do you guys realize we only have 10 DAYS til Christmas Eve? Where did all the time go? Last I checked I had at least 30! *frantically flips through the almighty book of posts* Eek! I still have an earwarmer and a scarf! Can I just cry right now? :waah: If there was a panic button, I would be hitting it frantically right now.

hob
12-14-2007, 08:37 PM
one srug down(that was a quick knit whoo) another 5 million things to go. 10 days!why did u have to tell me!! u can check out my things on my blog as im to lazy to upload hear 2 lol
http://knittingandjunk.blog.com/ (im shameless)

drummerboi202
12-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Nine days... Almost eight.... I can almost hear the funeral march.

MaleKnitter
12-16-2007, 12:44 AM
I have been working frantically for the last few days I started the front of my mother's sweater 3(?) days ago (the days are beginning to melt into each other) it is very close to done, when I am done with the front I have another cabled sleeve to do:gah: , then I have ANOTHER sweater to finish (thank god I thought of starting that in september and finished the bigger pieces)
Ooh I finished a bag the other day and it came out soooo well, I will post a picture very soon
I also have two bags to begin and finish and another one to finish. I have decided that I will finish the half finished bag later... i don't really like that sister (we had a HUGE fight a few years ago and I haven't really talked to her much since then) her gift can be a little late, another bag is going to a school friend and I won't see her until January, so I can be late on her gift and she will never know:teehee:

I have a sinking feeling that I am going to be staying up until 5 AM on Christmas eve trying to finish some of these things

and can you believe we STILL don't have a tree?!?!

drummerboi202
12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Ah, well, real trees die pretty fast. Thats why we like our fake one. We can put it up day after Thanksgiving and it'll last all season! But still, 8 days! 8 days till Christmas Eve! I've realized that if I want to wrap all my knitted objects, I'll have to finish them before Christmas Eve, and plus, I just subtracted a day from my knitting time, because I have to make Christmas goodes, like the Gingerbread cookies and such. Sigh. So much knitting, so little time.

Firey Vixxen
12-17-2007, 02:25 AM
I feel Nice and unpanicky as I told my friends their pressies aren't going to be ready until after Xmas. Just a little guilty though. but last year they didn't get pressies until Australia day (Jan the 25th? 26th?), so they're used to my inepness.
They only problem Is I now crave to finish a long term project (I'm a serial cast-on-er, this was started in 2005). no, Xmas knitting, Xmas Knitting, nearly through bear 2. but I'm finding this is making me put off knitting in general so I'll probally breack tonight.
And on a compleatly random note, does anyone have a blanket square pattern with an X "Raised" through it?

Sunny_Singer
12-17-2007, 08:11 AM
I haven't been able to get on line much the last 9 days, thanks to our "wonderful" weather... ugh.. don't you love sarcasm?
And worse our horrible electric company - grrr. We have been having power outages almost daily, that have lasted 5 to 10 hours each.

Even if I couldn't post, I have been busy.

Current Christmas WIP:

Rugs :
Mom R.
Karl
white scarf for Karen
poncho: Felicia
baby blanket: Felicia's baby
stole: Bethlyn
afghan: Joel
kitty litter mat: Tiger Lily
finger puppets: Josephine

completed Christmas Gifts:

bias scarf Morgan
drop stitch scarf Jackie
drop yo scarf Em
drop yo scarf Caitlin
drop yo scarf Amanda
length wise scarf Abigail
10 ft long scarf Brian
throw rug Pam and Scott
coasters set Andy
afghan Sara
throw rug Terry and Rick
blue rug for Sandy and Ron
all hot pads/trivets are completed including pot holders, hot pads, and mug rug for gifts I didn't know I needed until December 13

I don't need some of these Christmas gifts to be completed until January 1, which helps.

drummerboi202
12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I showed my sister her scarf the other day, and then informed her she wouldnt get it by Christmas. She seemed just fine with it. Her and my nephews were here for the weekend. But I got hardly any knitting done because my oldest nephew (7) would not leave me alone. He wants to learn how to knit, and he bugs me about it everytime I start on one of my projects. I've tried explaining to him that I'll teach him another time, and that I dont have the time right now, but he still bugs me nonetheless. And everytime I knit in his presence its "Oh, yeah, I guess that would be good for me to start on. Will you teach me, Aunt Christen and let me knit it?" It just annoys me to no end. So I finally caved this weekend, just to get him to stop, and he couldnt do it. His hands are too small to hold the needles properly and he insists on trying it his way, which has no chance of even allowing the yarn to wrap around the right needle. I was 10 when I learned and I know I didnt have those problems. I picked it up right away. And then he gives up because he cant do it, which makes me think I've finally heard the end of his nagging, but 2 hours later, hes ready to go at it again. I am so glad I dont live with them anymore.

Sorry, I just realized I as ranting. Ahem. Carry on.

ladyjessica
12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I have finished two Christmas stockings, and I'll finish the afghan for my sister tonight because I still need to wash and dry it and wrap it before she comes on Saturday. Then I need to make another stocking. And a hat. By Sunday. That gives me 4 days. FOUR. DAYS. GAH! :waah: hehe. I really only need to get the stocking done, but I really wanted to give my nephew the hat for Christmas. Next year I'm starting in June. :passedout:

drummerboi202
12-19-2007, 07:21 PM
That sounds like a good plan. Except I think I'll start in July, so Im not as tempted to give the objects away for birthdays instead. Definitely.

MaleKnitter
12-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I am scared now, I have a bag to finish by tomorrow if I want to mail it in time. I never even THOUGHT about mail, pretty dumb of me.
As for next year. I am going to make sweaters again for my mother, father, and stepmother (maybe one for me too) and then I might make quick-knit afghans for my sisters or perhaps scarf and mitten sets. Those shall be my big projects. I have already purchased the yarn for some of the sweaters and I plan to begin work in January. I expect to have 3 of the sweaters finished by July and if I finish them sooner then I will work on my own.

As for the work I have left. I am soooo close to done with my two sweaters but I need time to finish them. Everyone is trying to make plans with me and I just can't do anything with anyone if I intend to finish my christmas knitting.

these are pictures of the sweaters that I want to make for my mother and my stepmother. Tell me what you think, and does anyone know of a good pattern for my father? I was thinking of a nice cabled aran sweater, are there any good patterns around?

Also, what yarn should I use for the sweaters? I have some baby yarn for my stepmother's sweater and some yarn that i *might* use on my moms, but I am not sure about either. Is baby yarn going to be warm enough? Will they wash well? Is there some wonder-yarn that won't shrink in the wash but is still amazingly soft and warm that I should consider instead?

drummerboi202
12-19-2007, 10:38 PM
VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!! MWAHAHA!! I have finally finished my Grandmothers earwarmer! Thats all of my urgent Christmas knitting done! Woot woot! :woohoo: And, I must say, it looks rather cute on me, lol. I think I may make one for myself. I'll post pictures later, if I can find my camera cord.

MaleKnitter, I've always wanted to knit this (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTleo.html) sweater, but I have no males who would wear it. I absolutely love the cabled jacket As for the baby yarn being warm enough, suppose that would depend on your climate. Like Antartica vs. the Sahara desert. It may be too hot for some places, but not warm enough for others. As for the wonder yarn thats amazingly soft, warm, and washes well, let me know when you find it, lol. I think we've all been looking for that one. But Simply Soft is the closest I've come to something soft that Im not allergic to. The upside of not being able to use animal fibers is that I dont have to handwash everything I've ever knitted.

MaleKnitter
12-20-2007, 01:47 AM
ooh, I was considering making that sweater for myself a little while ago. I am a leo and I thought it was cool that the sweater was named leo, but I think that I am going to design my own sweater. I was planning on making a fitted raglan ribbed sweater with a saxon braid on the front, back, and both of the sleeves or berhaps a celtic knot or something. I havent even really started thinking about it but I will surely make a spectacular sweater one day that I can totally brag about "i made it myself" ooh, and maybe in a nice burgundy or maroon (my favorite colors)

And congratulations on the earwarmer

drummerboi202
12-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Really? I'm a Leo also. Are you of the July or August variety? Braids, cabes, knots, they all make my head spin a little. I prefer to stick to good old ribbing. I dont much like that either though. I rather dislike purling, so I try to stick to garter as much as possible. I love burgundy sweaters. I just like them on other people, blue is more my color. Then I go with a deep navy.

Thank you for the congratulations.

Now guess what? Im so brilliant, I found my camera cord, but I cant find the camera! I think I may have left it at my dads. So you may all have to wait until Chrismas to see the magical wonders that is called my knitting.

Sunny_Singer
12-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Remember that huge long list I had about 10 days ago?
Here is what is left:

Current Christmas WIP:

Rug for Karl and Leslie (we won't see them until around January 5, 2008 so I'll still finish this on time.)

baby blanket: Felicia's baby (baby is due in late March)

stole: Bethlyn (going with me to MIL's as we aren't celebrating Christmas at home until Jan 1.)

afghan: Joel (my only true UFO that won't be completed in time for Xmas)

kitty litter mat: Tiger Lily (going with me to MIL's too.)

finger puppets: Josephine (going with me to MIL's as we aren't celebrating Christmas at home until Jan 1.)

I am knitting 2 scarves that were never on my list at the moment. I'll work on the afghan and last rug here, before we go,
and after we return for they are too hard to transport.

I am taking all the smaller projects that are easier to transport with me, and I'll finish the lot while away, none will take that long to complete
at this point.

I am so proud of myself :) Everything else is completed, boxed, wrapped and a lot has been sent on to the homes of the recipients. The rest will come with us
all ready wrapped and ready to slide and hide under the Christmas tree.

mks22300
12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I did it, I finished all the mini Weasley sweaters for my class! I had to take a picture using my old camera since my digital camera battery decided to die, and I had to special order it.
I'm very pleased with how they turned out. They were my first ever sweaters, albeit wee ones that only the Christmas tree can wear. :teehee:

drummerboi202
12-21-2007, 12:49 AM
I think I've finally corrected my curling bookmark problem. I did a little variation on FV's idea. I took some scrap yarn and my tapestry needle, and I basically sewed it together backwards, but with big stitches that I could pull out later. Then I wet it with hot water and left it on a towel to dry like that. I just pulled out the stitches, and it seems to be lying flat. I left it there, with the curling side down, just to make sure it wouldnt change its mind and curl again. And I started knitting a new one, with a garter border, knit non-lengthwise, just incase this doesnt work out. If it does, then I'll just stitch on my Aunt Mattie's initials intead, and give the new one to her. Voila! My brilliant brain has saved the day again! (with a little help from FV, of course)

scout52
12-21-2007, 01:57 AM
work took away precious knitting time last week. Lost 5 days knitting time ARGHHHHH!!!!! and So far this week not so good at letting me knit again. ARGGHH!!! So i gave up on my grandfather's scarf absolutely no way to get it done. I think i will make him a hat instead and give it to him late. I think i will make him a newsboy cap. he loves those. I can probably make one pretty fast. I am almost done with the embroidery of my grandmothers shawl. Its amazing just how slooooow i embroider. I'm jealous of anyone who is fast. I actually took monday off from work just to embroider. I shipped off the some of the finished gifts today. The other finished gifts will get shipped off tomorrow. I did take pics of them. I will post them this weekend when i get the chance.

my ufo's are grandfather's gift-cast on
my grandmothers shawl-80% embroidery done
my secretary's scarf-1/2 done

my fo
best friend new baby blanket
best friend baby uggs
best friends daughter eve shawl
best friends daughter fun fur scarf
lil sister's reversible cable scarf
lil sister fiance rasta hat
Lil brothers cambridge jacket

drummerboi202
12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Scout, Yarnhog knitted a newsboy cap not too long ago, and she included the pattern in her blog. (http://yarnhog-yarnhog.blogspot.com/2007/12/impromptu-fo-newsboy-cap.html) I thought it looked pretty cool, and she knitted it up in a few hours, so it might be a fast knit for you.

I thought I had conquered that stupid bookmark, and I did, but only the ends of it. The sides at the very end have stoped curling, but the inside hasn't. So Im going to try to re-block just that area, because I love the way that bookmark looks compared to the new one.

scout52
12-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks Christian!! that's exactly what i'm looking for!!!:cheering: :cheering:

hob
12-22-2007, 11:02 PM
hi guys, scout isnt it not good when life gets in the way of knitting!? silly work dont they understand.
sunny u have done all that?!! :yay:
drummerboi i hope u can fix your bookmark.
mks i want to see the little jumpers!!!
i havent knitted at all i have bean super busy so i have nothing to report. im not going to get finished in time....maybe if i dont move all christmass eve only sit and watch tv and knit lol i wish. i hope to see pics soon.
oh and happy christmas if i dont log on again

MaleKnitter
12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
HOORAY! I finished the Dickinson pullover. Now I have one more sweater to finish (2 sleeves and a neckband... uh oh) I posted pictures in the Watcha knittin forum but here are some for my special Knitalong Friends to look at... by the way... how's the Christmas Knitting Curse? Is anyone still sick?

scout52
12-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes I hate it when work gets in the way of knitting. ARGGH!!

That sweater came out sooo beautiful. Your stitchwork looks great!! the recepient is surely going to love it!!

drummerboi202
12-24-2007, 01:04 AM
That sweater is beautiful, MaleKnitter. Now that one was for... your mom? As for the knitting curse, I havent heard of anyone being sick for awhile. I do have the sniffles though, but I think it was just because of walking out in the cold with wet hair.

mks22300
12-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Beautiful sweater!

Firey Vixxen
12-24-2007, 03:44 AM
I'll second that. It makes me want to Play around with cables :wall: Must. Finish. Xmas. Knitting!
Speaking of bashing against walls, I remembered Why I'm Handmaking Xmas Pressies. I went Shopping with my DLB and It was HELL.:twisted: knitting destreesses you as you streess about presents. Shopping through the masses (Some of which you wish would stop in the middle of a busy highway the way they stop in the middle of the aisls) is very stressful.
And we went in without a plan.:gah:
on a happier note, our friend has had her baby boy... so half my after xmas knitting is sorted (I'm starting Aug next year too;) :grphug: )

Sanibelle
12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm done - I cannot belive it. Here is my final count - 5 hat and scarf sets, 6 scarves, 7 pairs of felt clogs, 1 cabled clutch purse and 2 felted purses. I took the last pair of clogs out of the washer last night. It feels so good to be done. I am so happy with the way everything turned out. We had our office party of Friday and many of the items were for my staff and everyone was so happy with what I made.

Tonight we are going to Christmas Eve and my husband's cousin. The rest of the items are for his family.

It will be nice to knit for fun again! I swear every year that I will start earlier but I never seem to get my butt in gear until the end of October.

hob
12-24-2007, 06:41 PM
im so glad some people got done..i didnt tho. i love that jumper maybe ill try 4 next year.

drummerboi202
12-24-2007, 07:12 PM
FV, I feel your pain. What about those people who park their baby strollers crossways in the aisle so nobody can get past? I hate that. Me and my Mom were in KB Toys on the 23rd and there were so many kis running and pushing past us and then there was a baby stroller in almost every aisle. I actually got lost. We were looking for something specific, and when we seperated to try and find it, I got trapped in the back half of the aisles and I couldnt get out and then when I did I couldnt find my mom, and I ended up going back to the back half to find her, and its only when Im once again stuck behind little kids jumping around and flinging around toys that I see her in the front half. I was so relieved that I nearly crushed a kid trying to get out of there. It was hell. Never again will I go to a mall 2 days before Christmas, even though I probably will next year.

I cant wait until I gather all my Christmas money together so I can buy that Denise Interchangeable set so I can start on my Weasley sweater.

drummerboi202
12-26-2007, 02:08 AM
$245! I got $245 dollars total! $100 of it is to a place called Hastings, and another $50 is a Visa gift card, but the rest is cash! I can get the Denise interchangeables, some yarn, and still have tons of money left! And my Gram gave me my first set of DPNS. They're size 7 and I sat down and knitted a bracelet, just to get the feel of things. Im pretty excited. Plus, in addition to the Magic Bullet and keyboard I got at my moms, I got another keyboard, an iPod dock, some really comfy slippers, and guitar hero 3 at my dads. So Im pretty happy.

But I just realized, theres no reason to have this KAL anymore, at least until next year. Unless you guys would rather keep it going? Anyway, I'll miss you guys, and I feel like we all got a little closer. Let us know if you got everything done.

ladyjessica
12-27-2007, 12:13 AM
I did not finish everything, but I finished the things that were most important, so I guess that's all that matters. I posted some pics of them on the 'Whatcha Knittin' page. I was going to take a break, but I can't, so now at least I'm making something for ME for a change. hehe.

I kind of like this KAL. Maybe we can keep it going and motivate each other to get started for next year. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

drummerboi202
12-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Well, Im definitely starting it up again next year, but I probably wont until late Ocatober or November, since thats when everybody seems to start. But if you all want to keep it going, then we can.

scout52
12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Yea i didn't finish everything either. i finished most those things but not my grandparents gifts or my timekeepers gift.

Firey Vixxen
12-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Well, Ihaven't even finished yet (Yay, I'm on the last Bear:woot: ) so, I'll be around. I recon we should keep going, but our posts will probally get less regular.
I like all you guys too.
And we need to start the thread earlier next Year! :thumbsup:

Matdredalia
12-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Yikes. I've been missing the past few weeks, I know, but that's 'cuase I was so busy trying to finish, lol. And I still didn't get done! Then, on Christmas, my cousin sees me working on my brothers DS bag, and is like "Oh, could you knit me a hat?"

I was like "Actually, how about I teach you to knit?" So I taught her to cast on and do the knit stitch, gave her a spare skein of yarn, one of my extra sets of size 8 needles, and one of my beginners books and said "Have at thee!" XD

MaleKnitter
12-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Well, I finished two of the three sweaters and MOST of the third. I gave it to my stepmother with a picture of the pattern and an IOU, I just need to put on the big neckband, but since I altered the pattern, the neckband takes a lot of extra math so I have been avoiding it. One bag is close to finished, but it is all in stockinette, and when it is compared to the richly cabled dickinson pullover, it is REALLY boring so I have dreaded working on that too. I just hope that I can finish it by 2008.

Ooh, this was a good Christmas for knitting. I got the KnitPicks Interchangeable needle set:woot: and some KnitPicks Shinesport yarn, which I have decided would be perfect for my stepmothers cabled Jacket that I intend to give her next christmas. I'm going to get some more shinesport in another color.
I also got some knitting books, Scottish Highland Knits, the Elegant Knitter, Men Who Knit and the Dogs Who Love Them, and some magazine subscriptions to Knitting magazine and Vogue Knitting.
I also got an iPod-touch:aww: so that i can listen to music while I knit. This was a Really good Christmas, and everyone loved their sweaters even though my stepmother's sweater was not finished.

scout52
12-31-2007, 05:41 PM
I finished the scarf for shonda at work :woot: :woot: it blocking right now!! I think it came out good. i can see a few mistakes. hopefully she won't notice. but overall i am really very happy with how it came out. it's only my second lace effort.

and my best friend used the blanket she received for christmas in the baby's first pictures!! His name is Alexander Nicholas. He was born December 20 and weighed 8lbs and 8 ounces. She loved the blanket and booties. here is his first pic with the blanket i made. its the baby layette pattern from vogue knitting.

Firey Vixxen
01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Scout, I think I speak for all of us when I say "Aww". Your blanket "aww" not the baby, all babies look the same. :teehee:
And while I was away at the beach, I got over two weeks worth of normal Knitting done, so I've Nearly finished the final blue bear :woot: :woohoo: :woot: :woohoo: :woot: :woohoo: :woot: :woohoo: :woot: you get the picture.
I don't want to have do one of these bears again for at least six months. I'm even not having to check the pattern too much and it's not that constant. *Shudders* that is scary stuff.
FV