View Full Version : Noro?????

11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Okay, I know their color ways are beautiful and great fun to work with. But, my God, what dreadful texture!! The wool yarn is just awful-- it seems to have dead grass and small twigs through-out, and you could never wear it within about 5 inches of direct contact with your skin. Even the silk garden isn't much better. I just don't get how they stay in business and why they don't work on their texture! Is this like the emporer's new clothes?

11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I completely agree with you and have a bunch of Noro that I am using only for felted items. I think that may actually be the purpose of this yarn. Their colorways felt beautifully. You might want to try it for that:muah:

11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Felting is the only way to use Noro in my opinion. I have noro books with patterns and just can't see wasting my time knitting somthing that I could scrub my pots and pans withhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_219.gif

11-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I've made 2 blankets with Silk Garden, and yes, I had to pick out bits, but I've done that with other yarn, too.

To be honest, when I've touched it and Kuryeon in the past, I wasn't thrilled, even though I was drawn to the colors.

After I got some on sale, I was hooked. It's not the softest in the world, obviously, but I like the feel of the blankets, and plan to knit a sweater with it. I wouldn't want it against my skin, but not all wool is soft, I guess. :shrug:

11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi Ingrid. I just finished the Rainbow Scarf with two colours of Noro, and for some reason this yarn doesn't bother my hands, although wool often does. After I finished it, I put it in very warm water with the same shampoo I use on my dog, Tail and Mane, and then rinsed it and put it in with their brand of conditioner. Then I rolled it up in a towel and later left it out to dry. It's very very soft now, and although I had read that it would soften, I wasn't sure. It's still wool, and to allergic me, maybe not wearable next to skin, but the scarf is beautiful and the feel is lovely. Hope this helps,

11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I adore Noro, even though I agree that the quality of the actual yarn sometimes stinks. You'd think for the price they could manage a ball of yarn that doesn't have 3 knots causing sudden colour changes.

Washing will vastly improve the softness of most wool. Lopi is another favourite of mine, and it's amazing how soft it is after washing.

11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I just made a really pretty scarf out of it. Yes, I've felt softer wool, but it doesn't bother me, and the colors are gorgeous.

I DO want to felt with it; I think it will be great for that too. But I don't have a problem with it. To each his own! :knitting:

11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Noro is so gorgeous, but the Kureyon has the texture of steel wool. By the time I finished knitting up a Booga, my hand was sore where I was holding the yarn!
I'm desperately trying to find other patterns to use Noro on because the colorways are drool-worthy.