PDA

View Full Version : Noro?????

brittyknits
11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Okay, I know their color ways are beautiful and great fun to work with. But, my God, what dreadful texture!! The wool yarn is just awful-- it seems to have dead grass and small twigs through-out, and you could never wear it within about 5 inches of direct contact with your skin. Even the silk garden isn't much better. I just don't get how they stay in business and why they don't work on their texture! Is this like the emporer's new clothes?

Mulderknitter
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I completely agree with you and have a bunch of Noro that I am using only for felted items. I think that may actually be the purpose of this yarn. Their colorways felt beautifully. You might want to try it for that:muah:

momwolf
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Felting is the only way to use Noro in my opinion. I have noro books with patterns and just can't see wasting my time knitting somthing that I could scrub my pots and pans withhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_219.gif

Ingrid
11-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I've made 2 blankets with Silk Garden, and yes, I had to pick out bits, but I've done that with other yarn, too.

To be honest, when I've touched it and Kuryeon in the past, I wasn't thrilled, even though I was drawn to the colors.

After I got some on sale, I was hooked. It's not the softest in the world, obviously, but I like the feel of the blankets, and plan to knit a sweater with it. I wouldn't want it against my skin, but not all wool is soft, I guess. :shrug:

samm
11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi Ingrid. I just finished the Rainbow Scarf with two colours of Noro, and for some reason this yarn doesn't bother my hands, although wool often does. After I finished it, I put it in very warm water with the same shampoo I use on my dog, Tail and Mane, and then rinsed it and put it in with their brand of conditioner. Then I rolled it up in a towel and later left it out to dry. It's very very soft now, and although I had read that it would soften, I wasn't sure. It's still wool, and to allergic me, maybe not wearable next to skin, but the scarf is beautiful and the feel is lovely. Hope this helps,
samm

hocns
11-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I adore Noro, even though I agree that the quality of the actual yarn sometimes stinks. You'd think for the price they could manage a ball of yarn that doesn't have 3 knots causing sudden colour changes.

Washing will vastly improve the softness of most wool. Lopi is another favourite of mine, and it's amazing how soft it is after washing.

boo1
11-06-2007, 09:45 AM
I just made a really pretty scarf out of it. Yes, I've felt softer wool, but it doesn't bother me, and the colors are gorgeous.

I DO want to felt with it; I think it will be great for that too. But I don't have a problem with it. To each his own! :knitting:

Mommy22alyns
11-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Noro is so gorgeous, but the Kureyon has the texture of steel wool. By the time I finished knitting up a Booga, my hand was sore where I was holding the yarn!
I'm desperately trying to find other patterns to use Noro on because the colorways are drool-worthy.