PDA

View Full Version : My new knit-on-the-go pouch! - Update pg 4

Silver
11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I was on a mission to find the perfect little drawstring pouch bag for me to carry a small knitting project in. I couldn't find anything that met my needs. Some were cute, but I didn't like the color, others were too big or too small, or just not right.

So I made one. :cheering:

I found this embroidered taffeta at Joanns and fell in love with it. Ugh.. I just luv luv luv it!! It has two pockets inside, a loop to attach it to my purse or belt loop, and a yarn-keeper loop to guide my yarn as I knit. It's modeled after a Go-Knit Pouch, but cuter. ;)

I also bought fabric for a second in a black & silver brocade with a pale pink lining. :heart:

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/image/425/DSC01065.JPG

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/image/425/DSC01063.JPG

http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/image/425/DSC01064.JPG

iwfinley
11-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Ooooh, shiny and pretty and functional all in one little bag!!! Did you use a pattern or just come up with it on your own????? Love it!!

rissa
11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I love it!!! Did you have a pattern or did you just wing it? Simply beautiful...hmmm..another project in the making for me, I'm afraid, lol!

Samsam
11-05-2007, 07:40 PM
So cute!!
The fabrics are really pretty, pink rules!

Silver
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I just winged it. I had been looking at the Go-Knit Pouch and some other pouches online when I decided I'd just make one. So I just fashioned it after those. It was pretty easy, but next time I'll know to sew the button holes for the cording holes BEFORE I sew the two pieces together. I had to do them by hand! LOL

The.Knitter
11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow, you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO talented! Now, are you going to be selling them?

Silver
11-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Hahaha.. that was the first thing DH said.. "make more and sell em!" Always the entrepreneur!

I'm thinking about it... ;)

MAmaDawn
11-05-2007, 08:02 PM
sooooo cute!

lelvsdgs
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
This is absolutely beautiful! I have been wanting something like this only a little bigger to protect my knitting when it is in my work bag and I love the design of this. I have some really beautiful brocade that I also got at JoAnn's that I think will work. Maybe after holiday knitting is done... Thanks for posting this, fabulous job!:notworthy:

Silver
11-05-2007, 08:16 PM
FYI, if you want to make one...

The bottom circle is 6 1/4" diameter (used a salad bowl lol), and the side is approximately a 11.5" x 19.75" rectangle. I wasn't dead on accurate or anything either. I cut the pieces the same size for both the inside and outside, but for the outside piece I sewed a 1/4" seam and the inside piece I sewed about a 3/8" seam to allow it to fit neatly inside the other. But most of it was guess-work and eyeballing and it turned out great. So have fun and go to town. :)

Knitting_Guy
11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Yer a talented lady. :thumbsup:

lelvsdgs
11-05-2007, 08:29 PM
FYI, if you want to make one...

The bottom circle is 6 1/4" diameter (used a salad bowl lol), and the side is approximately a 11.5" x 19.75" rectangle. I wasn't dead on accurate or anything either. I cut the pieces the same size for both the inside and outside, but for the outside piece I sewed a 1/4" seam and the inside piece I sewed about a 3/8" seam to allow it to fit neatly inside the other. But most of it was guess-work and eyeballing and it turned out great. So have fun and go to town. :)
Thanks for the specs... now maybe I'll have to make it just a bit sooner than after the holidays....:drool:

Songbirdy
11-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Very nice!

:thumbsup:

(hmm... need to clear the sewing to do decks to make way for this... do we really need curtains?)

brendajos
11-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I should send you the ridiculous amount of brocade that i have around the house to make me some. Except, of course, i have no use for them since most of my projects are too big. But that is just so pretty! I would have sworn it was a lantern moon bag if you hadn't said you made it. very nice!

jodstr2
11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
:inlove: VERY cute, Kristin! great job! you have good taste! :cheering:

SkyBluePink
11-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I am SO freaking jealous, Silver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks amazing! :passedout:

SabrinaJL
11-06-2007, 12:40 AM
That's really cute. I have a GoKnit pouch, but I wasn't jazzed about the available colors. If I could, I'd make a bunch of different ones. Unfortunately, the extent of my sewing ability is sewing buttons back on shirts. And even that is questionable.

Debkcs
11-06-2007, 03:30 AM
That is adorable, Silver. I carry my 'out of the house' knitting in a blue draw string carpet bag that I bought at a Bon Marche in about 1974. Now that I've seen yours, though, I'm feeling slightly envious and may have to make one. If I could only find my sewing machine. :aww:

In the mean time, your ingenuity continues to amaze me!

starburst
11-06-2007, 05:17 AM
that's so cute! I have one already and I still want yours! haha

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-06-2007, 06:00 AM
You read my mind! This is exactly the way that I was going to make one- I even already have the fabric! :D

It looks great- I'm going to work on mine this weekend.

You did a great job!! Thanks for sharing the photo.

Silver
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone! If I have time, I'm going to make the second one today. :)

You read my mind! This is exactly the way that I was going to make one- I even already have the fabric! :D

It looks great- I'm going to work on mine this weekend.

You did a great job!! Thanks for sharing the photo.
Post pix when yours is finished, I'd love to see! :cheering:

Jaxhil
11-06-2007, 08:38 AM
That is *gorgeous* and you did a beautiful job on it!! I love that you made it up yourself-way to go!! :woohoo:

I am a sewer too (better sewer than knitter acually! ;)) and I have thought about making one of these for a long time. I need to just go ahead and do it!! Thanks for sharing!

Nobones
11-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Good greif girl is there anything you can't do?! I love the fabric you've done a lovely job.

Silver
11-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I am a sewer too (better sewer than knitter acually! ;)) and I have thought about making one of these for a long time. I need to just go ahead and do it!! Thanks for sharing!
I hope I've inspired you to make your own!

Good greif girl is there anything you can't do?! I love the fabric you've done a lovely job.
Thanks Ellie, glad to see you back and feeling better!

As a matter of fact, yes, there are things that I can't do. And you're one to talk, you multi-talented crafter you! :teehee:

dustinac
11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
:happydance: Very very pretty!!! :happydance:

sue in canada
11-06-2007, 09:58 AM
That looks great, will have to try myself. Love your choice of fabric.

The.Knitter
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Hahaha.. that was the first thing DH said.. "make more and sell em!" Always the entrepreneur!

I'm thinking about it... ;)

Think harder (much harder). What a great idea! AND you would then have more money to replenish your stash...

I don't sew. I have a machine somewhere in the back room. I live in a basement apartment. The back room got flooded (fault in the air conditioner). I mentioned to the building owner that my sewing machine was ummm drowned. He looked at me as if I had seventeen heads. Some men just don't understand. No offer of money to have it fixed either. Anyways, the machine is toast now. That is why I don't sew.

It's not been a good year. The only exception was finding this wonderful site and getting motivated to knit more.

I would just LOVE one of those bags, perhaps a nice red one on the outside with black lining. Sounds sooooooooo good to me! Let me know if you decide to manufacture these bags please, please, please!!!

I'd be on cloud9 then....

Silver
11-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Think harder (much harder). What a great idea! AND you would then have more money to replenish your stash...
<snip>
I would just LOVE one of those bags, perhaps a nice red one on the outside with black lining. Sounds sooooooooo good to me! Let me know if you decide to manufacture these bags please, please, please!!!

I'd be on cloud9 then....
Just thought I'd let you know, I'm heading out to pick up more fabric for more bags. I think I'm gonna make a few to sell and see how it goes. One of them will be red on the outside with a black liner. ;)

monzogary
11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
OMG that is the nicest little bag! Kudos to you for making it yourself.

lauraknits
11-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I'd buy one! I'd love a bag made by Silver! Yours is beautiful!

cindygster
11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I love that bag!!!:happydance: Unfortunately I think I'm expending what little creative juice I have on learning the ins and outs of knitting, so I doubt I'd ever be able to replicate that bag. Lol! If you do decide on selling them, I'd like to make a reservation for one!!:woot:

Great job!!:cheering:

lelvsdgs
11-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I'd buy one! I'd love a bag made by Silver! Yours is beautiful!
Ditto!! I'd love to have one as well. Love to sew but right now I'm all about the knitting...:notworthy:

KnittingNat
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
This is FABULOUS! :heart: The moment I'll set up my sewing machine, i think i'll go for it! Thank you for the idea!

mks22300
11-06-2007, 02:32 PM
It's beautiful Silver, I just love the colors you chose! I wish I could sew. :teehee:

REVS
11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Fabulous! Gorgeous! Beautiful!

Sign me up for one if you do decide to make them -- or better yet, sign me up for a full on tutorial on how to machine-sew - lol.
I got an old (70's!!!) machine at a yard sale and have been sewing straight seams with a ton of seam allowance and thought I was doing ok - lol. But when you said "sewing button holes" I realized how much farther I have to learn to attempt such a pretty little bag.

Is there any books or websites that explain how to sew (with a machine)?

In the meantime I am in continuous awe about your talents Silver.
First the socks, then the ambigram knitting tats, and now this... And that's only my limited KH browsing. I'm sure there's plenty more.
:notworthy:

How good that I at least have the scientist excuse for the lack of creative genius...

pmknit
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Silver, please keep me in mind when you decide to sell these bags. I think they are absolutely beautiful! What a lovely way to carry your knitting with you!

DQ
11-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Sooooooooooo pretty!!! I wish I could do things like that!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Silver
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Please Note:

If you seriously would like to buy a bag from me, please email me (not PM) and let me know that you want one. If you have color preferences, let me know, although I can not guarantee that I'll make one in your choices right away.

There's no obligation... just because you email me doesn't mean you have to buy one. I just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into here.

Email me at
kristin at cometosilver dot com
with the subject "Knitting Pouch"

:heart: Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement to make and sell these. I won't get rich, but I'll sure have fun!!

iwfinley
11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
You have me inspired now --even though my knitting project list continues to grow, I have a BUNCH of fabric that I bought at an estate sale and I'm sure there are some pieces that would be wonderful for that, also have a bunch of cute rickrack & trim & cords in the pile as well. . . . .

Thanks so much for sharing your "pattern" (as it were) -- at least it gives us a starting point for our own knit bag adventures!!!
cloud9

starburst
11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
how much do you think you would charge for one?

Jaxhil
11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
You know what, I think I will (make my own that is :mrgreen:) and I think I'll make one (or two!) for my mother who is a wonderful knitter. These would make *such* a great gift for her! She's making me a pair of socks right now-in such a gorgeous color and a cabled pattern too :hug:I have a great Mom :heart:.

Thanks again for the inspiration, Kristin!

Jan in CA
11-11-2007, 02:20 PM
That's a gorgeous little bag, Kristin! :inlove: If I ever get my sewing machine uncovered I'll have to give it a try. The ziploc I use now for small projects just isn't cutting it. :teehee:

samm
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
It's gorgeous! I have the GoKnits one, and it always seemed simple to make. I'll not buy another. I'll make one. Great choice of fabric! samm

JamOKnit
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Beautiful! I could see myself buying one as well as getting one for a gift for a fellow knitter. What price range are you thinking?

Catz
11-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Sent you an email Silver.

ArtLady1981
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
What a beautiful bag! I'm a bagaholic. :eyes: I needed this post! :thumbsup: