View Full Version : colorways? I know this sounds stupid

11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
But I haven't been a knitter long or on this forum long, but when you say "colorways" do you just mean the multi-colored yarn, or is it a brand of yarn? Thanks for helping me understand..


11-06-2007, 03:01 PM
I've seen "colorway" used (mostly) in two ways...

1) a particular colour of a yarn (usually one of the hand-dyed, but possibly other variagated) -

2) the SELECTION of colours for a particular pattern (usually when being sold as a kit)

of troy
11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
usually (for me at least!) it means a multi color yarn.

it can be a self stripping yarn --long expances of color (slow color changes--like Noro, or Paton's SWS)
or what used to be called ombres (from the latin umber=shadow) where you have white/light/medium/dark blue)
or Varigated (red/yellow/green/blue/purple)

or even a hand painted yarn, or a Near solid.. (hand dyed and done so that there is UN EVEN color uptake.. so some parts are darker/lighter than others.

all these different types of NON SOLID colored yarn can be called a 'colorway'!

11-06-2007, 03:34 PM
And I think solid color yarns used together that are in complementary colors.