PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good books

stalo
11-07-2007, 07:21 AM
I am looking to buy at least 2 books on knitting. I need a book with the basics plus how to create neckline, sleeves, armholes, collar, finishing techniques, inspiration etc. I want to knit sweaters, jackets etc, without a pattern and I am doing it right now, but I need some help.

I found some books on Amazon, can you please suggest which ones will be the best?
1. vogue knitting
2. The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask - Margaret Radcliffe;
3. the knitters handy book of sweater patterns
4. sweater design in plain eglish
4. The Knitter's Handbook: Essential Skills & Helpful Hints from Knitter's Magazine - Elaine Rowley; Spiral-bound
5. Big Book of Knitting - Katharina Buss
6. designing knitware
7. Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes - Elizabeth Zimmermann
8. Designing Knitwear by Deborah Newton

or any one that you have and is worth having.

Thanks

losnana
11-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I am looking to buy at least 2 books on knitting. I need a book with the basics plus how to create neckline, sleeves, armholes, collar, finishing techniques, inspiration etc. I want to knit sweaters, jackets etc, without a pattern and I am doing it right now, but I need some help.

I found some books on Amazon, can you please suggest which ones will be the best?
1. vogue knitting
2. The Knitting Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask - Margaret Radcliffe;
3. the knitters handy book of sweater patterns
4. sweater design in plain eglish
4. The Knitter's Handbook: Essential Skills & Helpful Hints from Knitter's Magazine - Elaine Rowley; Spiral-bound
5. Big Book of Knitting - Katharina Buss
6. designing knitware
7. Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes - Elizabeth Zimmermann
8. Designing Knitwear by Deborah Newton

or any one that you have and is worth having.

Thanks
I have #s 4, 5, and 7. I LOVE Knitting Without Tears. Sweater Design in Plain English in great too. I also think that Knitting In Plain Englaish is great when learniing to do lots of things. Makes things that sound complicated simple.

Jaxhil
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I would *highly* recommend Vogue Knitting and Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I have both and they are two of my favorites! Actually Anything by EZ is a good bet-but KWT would be the first of hers to buy if you're a newer knitter.

Also, "the knitters handy book of sweater patterns" is a great choice for designing your own sweaters, I have that as well and it would be an excellent investment too.

Have fun choosing!

knitasha
11-09-2007, 01:19 PM
First batch: #1 and #3, plus Knitter's Handbook by Montse Stanley (different from the one edited by Elaine Rowley).

Second batch: #7 and #8, plus Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti and The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniqes by Nancie Wiseman.

Beyond that, it's all gravy.