PDA

View Full Version : Who will you NOT knit for?

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Since many of us are doing holiday knitting.. it got me to thinking. Knitting someone a gift.. is an investment of time- much less $ spent on the yarn/s.

AND, it seems that those that 'don't knit' (generally) don't really realize the cost or time involved in a knitted gift.
So, have you had an experience in an unappreciated knitted gift and as a result- you decided not to knit for that person again?
I haven't had any 'horrible, rude, etc.' experiences.. however, I did handknit a lovely soft Italian mohair scarf in a lace stitch.. and mailed it off in honor of someone's milestone birthday.
This person doesn't knit- nor does anyone in their immediate famliy- and I'm sure that this is the first hand-knitted gift that they had ever received. I included a ball band of the fiber, told her that I had purchased the yarn when I had lived in Italy, explained that it was 'handknit' and how to care for it. I also wrote a nice card and told her that for 'special' birthdays.. someone deserved something as special as they were. (THIS person is much older than I am.)
I NEVER HEARD ONE WORD.. not a thank you.. not a mention of it. They don't live where I do- so, I wouldn't just run into them to jog their memory or to see them actually wearing it/etc.
I'm not just saying it-- but, it was a lovely scarf.
SO, do you have any stories?

BillSpace
11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Handknit or not, lovely or not, the bottom issue here is rudeness. It is wrong for your friend to not acknowledge your gift.
Or: possibly it never arrived. It is OK to send a follow-up note or e-mail asking if it did arrive. If it did, the person will probably slap her forehead (assuming she's a good person who just forgot to send you the thank-you); if it never arrived, you'll be sad to know you lost the scarf but can keep the friend.

Sanibelle
11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
One of the gals that worked for me was at a birthday party for the 1 year old daughter for another person that works for me. I had made the little girl a beautiful poncho as a birthday gift. I used Shaeffer Elaine yarn to make the poncho and it was really pretty. One the other gal saw it she asked me how much I would charge to make 2 more her her little girls. I told her that the yarn cost about $25.00 but I would not charge her for my time - she just needed to buy the yarn. She said that they had little girl's ponchos at Old Navy for $9.99 - I told her to buy it at Old Navy.

Every year at Christmas I knit scarves or something for a lot of the people that report to me, but since then, I usually get her a bottle of wine or something - I will not knit for her.

I have my "knitworthy" list so unless I know that someone really appreciates hand knit items, I will not spend the money or my time knitting for them. Some people love it and some people just don't appreciate it, so rather than letting my feelings get hurt, I do not knit for them.

brittyknits
11-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a friend who made a beautiful sweater for her MIL for her 70th birthday-- who is a bit difficult to begin with. The woman opened the package in front of anyone and kind of shrugged and said, "it's not really my color". My friend's SIL said, "ah, Mom, I think she MADE that", and the MIL said, "oh, well, could you do it again in another color for me?" It's not just knitting that she won't do for her anymore:).

msmelody
11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I refuse to knit for people who treat store bought stuff shabbily. If they are not willing to take care of the things they buy themselves, then how can I be sure they will take care of the things I make for them.

Sharly
11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
My policy is that I only knit for people who ask me to. Right now I'm going bonkers making cell phone cozies because people keep seeing them and wanting one. When someone asks, I am so flattered I can't say no. And, because they are anxiously awaiting their gift, I'm assured my knitting to going to someone who appreciates it!

Becky Morgan
11-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Most of my husband's family despises anything homemade. He used to try to sneak my yarn into the trash when I wasn't looking (and used half a ball of silk yarn to tie up garbage bags...) so you get the idea. I did make my niece and her daughters Mobius shawls this year. We don't exchange presents, but we do send each other neat little things when we find them.

knitncook
11-07-2007, 10:16 AM
My grandmother or anyone on that side of the family. The last time I knit something for one of them (my cousin who had a baby and made her matching baby socks and hats that were just OH so cute) all I heard was, "You know it is Granny's job to make those things. Why did you go and take away Granny's special thing?" (My grandmother crochets with RHSS, although before she had arthritis she did fine thread lace crocheting) They equate anything made with yarn to something Granny does and I suppose only Granny can make anything with yarn.

I also hesitate to make things for my mom because she is very critical of my knitting. She will find every flaw I make before she compliments me. :( I also have several friends I would never knit for because they just wouldn't get it. Other friends I *love* to knit for because they totally get it and appreciate it. And then I have my one friend who I just find patterns for because she knits (and spins and weaves) herself.

sinistral_needler
11-07-2007, 10:26 AM
My policy is that I only knit for people who ask me to. Right now I'm going bonkers making cell phone cozies because people keep seeing them and wanting one. When someone asks, I am so flattered I can't say no. And, because they are anxiously awaiting their gift, I'm assured my knitting to going to someone who appreciates it!

That is a very good guideline. I wanted to knit something for my brother and asked him if he would like a scarf and pretty much said, "well, that would be nice of you but I would never wear it." Be safe and ask the person first! As much as people love giving a surprise gift, the receivers often don't know how to react!

Jitendra
11-07-2007, 10:31 AM
yesterday a guy in class saw me knitting my scarf and asked how much I'd charge for a custom knit job. Then he told me about a scarf his mom had made for his roommate, which had the roommate's nickname stitched into it. The roommate took one look and said "I don't wear scarves." and didn't take it. So rude!

The.Knitter
11-07-2007, 10:33 AM
When my beautiful granddaughter was born, I knit her a lace dress. I had never knit lace before and I was so excited when it turned out well. I even knit it in the colour I was TOLD to knit it in when my DD found out I was knitting it. Well I anxiously finished this dress, put on the buttons, strung the ribbon through the waist holes, washed it and sealed it into a baggie. This was to be a Christmas gift (my first for Gramma's precious). The BIG day came and my DD opened the dress package. She seemed receptive but said it was too big and she would take a picture of the baby in it when it fit her. A year later when I was at their house one day, I found the dress, still in it's baggie, the ribbon not even wrinkled. I knew she had never put this on the baby. Soooo I swiped the dress and put it into my tote bag, swiped the baby and took her to Wallie World, where I dressed her in her little dress and had her picture taken in it. I kept some of the pictures the package provided, but gave the rest to my daughter for Mother's Day. She never even hung the pictures up. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?

This same woman (my DD) asked me to knit my granddaughter a "fweater" for her several weeks ago, one that matched the one I made my grandson the same year the baby got her lace dress, which I did. I then made a ribs and ruffles scarf to go with said "fweater". I knit a palindrome scarf for my grandson. I got told the scarfs were too short, but that the baby's was "usable", where the grandson's was not. I think it's time I started thinking about NOT knitting for that family.

My DS had his first child in July. I knit and knit. I made a blanket, a sweater, a hat, and booties. It was a beautiful set. I never even got a phone call thanking me or acknowledging that they received the package. I'll send gift cards from now on.

Both of these adult children of mine grew up knowing about knitting and crafts. They know the time it takes to make these things. They understand because they grew up watching it. The items I've been making don't have mistakes in them, they don't look bad, they fit, they are the colours I am TOLD to knit for the children. What am I doing wrong?

I will NOT be discouraged. I will keep on knitting! I enjoy it and if those people don't want my gifts, someone else surely will!

I think this topic touched off a sore spot. Sorry to vent!

janettle
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
I tell people that, generally, I don't knit surprise gifts. If I have an idea for a gift someone might like, I show them the pattern and ask if they would like it, and then get them to help me select the yarn and color. Too much of me goes into my knitting to risk an unwanted gift.

mhansen
11-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I used to knit things for my DD and she would never wear anything that I knit or crocheted for her. So I told myself that I would not knit anything for her ever again. In June I had surgery and spent a couple of days at her house to recuperate. I was knitting a blanket for a friend to take to CT with her. My granddaughter asked me to make her some scarves. So I bought a bunch of yarn and made her 6 scarves. My daughter liked them and asked me to knit some for her and I did. Then her friends liked them and asked me to knit some for them which I did. Get this I have never seen anyone wearing the scarves that I knit for them and they asked for them. I'm back to not knitting for them.

msoebel
11-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Hmmn....I will knit for anyone in my family, and for close friends. People who I believe are worth the extra time and love I pour into the gifts. If they treat my gifts like crap...well, they don't need any more knitted items, I will find something they will like more.

I made my mom a scarf and a cell phone holder. She lost the cell phone holder. I don't think she loved the color of the scarf (it was one of my very first projects, so I made it in stockinette and it curls horribly!!!!:aww: ), but she still wears it when it is cold. So I will still make her things. I also made a hat for my dad...it was awful...way tooo short for his head. But he still wears it all the time, because I made it.

My dd will wear anything I make for her and gets terribly excited when I make her something. So I will always knit for her.

I won't knit for my brother in laws (because they are putzes and don't get it) and I won't knit for my aunt. Because she is one of those mistakes finders. I've been knitting for a year! She's been knitting for 50! Give me a break!

holamiis
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Ya'll are making me nervous about my upcoming christmas gifts!!! With the exception of one, they are all surprise gifts. Yikes. Oh well, everyone in my family is incredibly crafty and have been exchanging homemade crafts for gifts for years!

boo1
11-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm probably going to knit my Mom a scarf for Christmas. I do know that if it has errors in it, or just doesn't look professional, she'll wear it anyway and love it. My MIL would be the same way.

But as a beginning knitter, there aren't many people I would knit for! I'm too prone to errors and I'm still too slow. I can whip out some crocheted stuff, but I prefer to knit.

Laura

Sunny_Singer
11-07-2007, 11:22 AM
My mother.
She doesn't really appreciate anything at all.
I can't seem to find anything ever that she "likes" no matter where I buy it, how special I try to make it, it simply isn't "good enough" in her eyes.
There is no way I will try to knit something for her.

When I was a child, we would make special gifts for our parents in school and in Girl Scouts, sometimes in Sunday School. Every one of those gifts landed in the trash on the day they were presented.

Take all that time to knit her something? No way.

janettle
11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
I also made a hat for my dad...it was awful...way tooo short for his head. But he still wears it all the time, because I made it.

that's so sweet, a real tear-jerker, sounds like my dad. thanks.

Jeremy
11-07-2007, 11:48 AM
I feel the pain in every single one of these stories. The chutzpah of some of these recipients! I knit a shawl for a friend of mine struggling with breast cancer. Its made with felted yarn that is fuscia (kind of really dark pink-purple), soft and really beautiful. I did it as a begining knitter and so many times I had to rip back and start again. I finally finished it and it was beautiful and warm. I gave it to her and every time I come to her house its in a crumpled heap by her fire place. It literally hasn't moved in months.:grrr: When I see it, I want to leave and not come back.

newknitter44102
11-07-2007, 11:53 AM
I refuse to knit for my kids because they lose EVERYTHING! It's either lost, or torn up. They can't handle anything, they're rough little boys and always manage to put holes in things or rip something when they are playing. I'd really like to knit alot of gifts this year, not because of the lack of money but because Christmas is so comericalized and I really want it to be about giving so I'm making up handmade stuff for my family and friends.

iwfinley
11-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Anyone in my husband's family. I am SAHM by choice but it requires a financial sacrifice that I think our five kids are worth. . . . I spent a lot of time doing some very nice beaded items (seed beads, very tedious work) for my SIL's and then one of my brother in laws got mad over something else and made a crack about how some members of our family "cheap out" and send homemade gifts and compared them to getting popcorn balls at Christmas. . . . . It was like a big slap in the face, so now that I'm knitting, I know who is on my "NOTty" list. . . . You can just tell a lot of times which people will appreciate your time and effort and THOUGHT because when you knit, you spend time thinking about the recipient of what you're knitting, at least I do. . .

chie96
11-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Right now I'm going bonkers making cell phone cozies because people keep seeing them and wanting one.
Could you please tell me where you got your pattern? I really wanted to make them for Christmas, but the pattern I found on the Lion Brand site is not working for me. I am a new knitter and it has me picking up stitches to add Fun Fur. It looks great on the site, but I have tried three so far and they are all very u-g-l-y, LOL!

marykz
11-07-2007, 11:59 AM
my sister in law. I made her a cute handbag (wristlet) and sewed a tissue cover to go in the purse. I got a lukewarm thanks, then she proceeded to tell me how her mother (my MIL) said nasty things about both of them. (like, the tissue cover looks like its only good for sanitary products, and no one would ever use a purse like that because it only fits a credit card, cell phone and lipstick.) Why my sil felt she had to pass along those mean comments is beyond me.

No one on that side of the family gets anything hand made. I also won't knit for one o fmy friends who is waaaaay too picky.

I have several friends who ARE knit-worthy, who appreciate the time, effort, creativity and $$ (value) of a hand made gift. they get all my projects! my mom is a knitter, so I don't feel I can make anything knit for her. I did make a crochet pillow for her birthday.

my hubby is hot-blooded and never wears sweaters, hats, gloves or scarves, so nothing for him either! lol- but I'm sure he'd be nice about it.

as an aside- I think the thank you note (even an email) has fallen by the wayside. People seem shocked when I send a handwritten thank you note. I dunno..... but I was raised to know that such things are important.

Lisa1216
11-07-2007, 12:07 PM
When I was a child, we would make special gifts for our parents in school and in Girl Scouts, sometimes in Sunday School. Every one of those gifts landed in the trash on the day they were presented.
Wow...this is so sad.:sad: I can't imagine doing this to one of my dds. :hug:
I only knit for those who have taken an interest in what I am knitting and seem excited when I show them something I've finished.

Luvmyrottnboy
11-07-2007, 12:09 PM
The only folks I ever knit/crocheted for are family members in South Africa. Most of the women knit and crochet themselves and I know they really enjoy getting handmade gifts.

I have not and will not knit anything for anyone here in the states because, even though my friends and family are all wonderful people, they equate handmade with thrift. In that the only reason one would make something rather than buy it is to save money.

Well, we all know better than THAT don't we!:)

Cyrus, my dog has gotten neck scarves though. he loves everything I do!

Songbirdy
11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Generally speaking I don't knit for others.

So for me the better way would be to say whom I do knit for.

I knit for my mother... but I think she's got enough now!

I knit slippers for my brother and Aunt. They really, really appreciate them.

I knit socks for my husband (does 2 pairs count?).

I knit for my children but they are very included in the process.

Then I knit for myself... but so far... every single thing I've knitted for myself has been gifted while I've been out and about.

I count it as "random acts of kindness."

I've gifted children on the school yard. Store clerks... Those boxes for children in other countries.

Once I gifted a boucle sweater to a woman in a mall. She was too precious about her awe and desire for my sweater... it was too much and I just had to give her the sweater... :teehee:

That's what makes me happy.

Now... I am going to knit for my SIL for Christmas. I am doing EXACTLY what she told me to do, colours, pattern, size... and fully expect them to be rejected gifts.

But that is her... and I still love my niece and nephew. I'll snag a photo and one day... when hopefully they come to find me... when Momma isn't old enough to prevent them... I can show them that I wasn't a horrid Aunt, that I loved them to pieces but that I wasn't going to give the the Wii I was told to... because I can't even give that to my children!

marykz
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I can show them that I wasn't a horrid Aunt, that I loved them to pieces but that I wasn't going to give the the Wii I was told to... because I can't even give that to my children!

whoa- she wants you to buy them a Wii?!! that's expensive! even for a favorite aunt! that is an unrealistic request in almost any family. my friend is buying one as the group X-mas gift for ALL 4 kids, and they aren't getting much else.

families are such strange animals......

threesmom
11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
It amazes me the complete and utter rudeness some of these recipients have showed! :hug: to you all who have experienced this! I can't even think of not thanking someone ...

As far as who I won't knit for, I can say with complete and utter confidence I will NEVER knit for my MIL. I mentioned something about knitting gifts for folks last Christmas, and she said something like "Oh please not for me! I have given so many handmade gifts myself ..." She knits, but doesn't particularily seem to enjoy it - I think it's a carryover from making things because it was cheaper than buying -, and she crochets and quilts. We have all gotten her handmades, and appropriatelly ooohed and aahed ... I don't get it. She only knits with acrylics, so I entertained teh thought of knitting her something in something wonderful, but I wont bother now - I'd just give her the yarn. I guess I just expected her to understand the care that goes into our handknits, and that THAT is the gift, but I guess not.

I do knit for my mom - she doesn't get it, but she appreciates it. I'm doing socks for her this year -the woman loves socks, and would appreciate them. My dh is huge, and if I knit for him I'd be here forever, so I stick with the kids - who appreciate it as much as 4,3, and 1.5 year olds can:teehee: .

cando
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
It's not a tragedy that some people don't appreciate hand-made gifts - it's their taste, but it is a tragedy that they don't know how to gracefully accept it all the same.

I've been knitting about a year and as my first project I made a garter stitch scarf out of Lion Homespun (yep). That was mainly practice and there was one dropped st in it. Next I made a throw for my sis (which is one of the reasons I learned to knit) out of yarn that cost me over $100 - I just didn't know better about substitutions at that time. It was pretty, but not very practical (lacy stitch with bulky yarn). I gave it to my sis and she was absolutely thrilled. But I know for a fact she hasn't and won't use it. The lace is holey and catches on toes and fingers. It's heavy. It's handwash. But I don't really mind because she's still in awe at the sentiment and effort I put in and treasures the gift. She then swiped the garter scarf and wore it everyday of winter :)
Since then I've knit her a tank and a couple of hats. She is ultra excited about everything I knit for her and tells our mom that her "little" sister is making her clothes now (my mom used to sew when we were children). I will always knit for her :hug:

sinistral_needler
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
It's easy to want to have the 'giftee' just ooze over the hand-made things that we make them, only because each of us puts love into each item we make. Even thought knitting is a reasonably popular past-time these days, I am not sure that people who don't .. will ever, dare I say, 'get it' - re: the time, care and effort that goes into the items that we make.

I think I will stick to making stuff for my mom and for charity. The two places that I KNOW that will appreciate what I make.

MrsDavis3
11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
one of my brother in laws got mad over something else and made a crack about how some members of our family "cheap out" and send homemade gifts and compared them to getting popcorn balls at Christmas. . . . .

There are several names for people like this, none of which I will list here, however, I think they get that way IN PART from
-their upbringing and lack of aesthetic education;
-their total lack of familiarity with the talent and effort involved in making something by hand, (and the price of yarn!) and
-the enormous volume of manipulative commercial advertisement which seeks to create a population of acquisitive consumers who don't recognize the true VALUE of anything unless it involves $$$ handed over to the business establishment;
-ignorance and/or stupidity.

Riss
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I have people I won't knit/crochet for. I made my best friend a gorgeous ripple afghan. When I gave it to her, she didn't even pull it out of the bag to see it. She just gave it to her kids (5 and 7) and continued on with telling me the dramas in her world. I'm not even sure she thanked me for it. Due to horrid circumstances, she got evicted, so that blanket is now back at my house for safe keeping. It looks well loved by the children, but I don't think she ever really appreciated what went into it. So, I'm going to enter it into a county fair next fall. :)

I also won't knit for people i've known for a short time, like new friends, unless they show a huge interest in something i'm wearing. I made a friend a scarf, to which she told me it was gorgeous, and would wear it every day. I never saw her wear it once.

But the people I AM knitting for this holiday would be my ex boyfriend, my little brother, my two bosses, and my mom. Thats it though.

Jax3303
11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I refuse to knit for my MIL, simply because she's a spiteful bitch.

I don't knit much for my sons, but that's because they're 8 and 6 and rough on ALL their things. I'll knit for them more when they get older.

but I LOVE to knit for everyone else :) I'm fortunate to have family and friends who all appreciate and love homemade gifts. I consider myself lucky to have been raised in a family that values the time and love put into a gift above the monetary cost of the gift .

I do, however, have a favorite person to knit for. My Mom. Every thing I've made for her, she has been SOOOO excited to recieve. Every time I'm out with her, she'll strike up a conversation with complete strangers and end up showing off the handknit socks, sweater or purse one of us happens to be wearing, just to brag about me. I get cals from her sisters and friends telling me how they were visiting with my mom and mom just HAD to show them a blanket or something I'd made. I love my Mom.

I also enjoy knitting for my oldest sister/her kids. She and I don't get along very well, but she loves my knit gifts. Back when her youngest turned 2, I was planning on knitting a cardigan for my niece's birthday. But the yarn pissed me off (and is actually *still* in time-out) so the cardigan didn't get finished and I went out and bought a gift for my niece. After the Birthday party, my sister and I were chatting for a bit and I asked if the outfit I bought would fit my niece well, and my sister said "Yes, It'll fit great, but I do have to admit something, and I hope I don't sound like an ungrateful bitch, but when she opened her gift from you and pulled out the outfit, I was kind of dissapointed that it wasn't something you've knitted." It made me smile :)

yarnrainbow
11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
I don't like to think about those I won't knit (or craft) anything for because it makes me sad. I've had good and bad experiences with handmade gifts.

I've been knitting for about 1.5 years now (thanks to the vids on this website) so I'm still in my knitfancy but I did find the courage to make scarves for my mom, brother, and SIL last year and their responses were really gratifying. They called me when they opened their gifts on Christmas and oohed and aahed, even commenting how "professional" the scarves looked. Of course, that may be because I'd prepared them ahead of time to expect the worst. I think my exact words were "you will be the recipients of my first attempts at knitting so remember that it is the thought that counts". My momma, bless her heart :muah: told me she was soooo proud of me 'cause I'm always willing to try something new and I'm always successful at it. Aren't momma's wonderful?!! :cheering: My brother works outdoors and since I didn't "put any of that fringy stuff on it", he can wear it while he works and he swears he wore it every day last year. Good thing I made it machine-washable! :rofl:

I also made a scarf for my other brother and he too was gracious about it. Said it was beautiful and a couple of weeks after Christmas called and asked me if I could make one for a friend of his if he bought the yarn. Apparently he was wearing it to work and a guy there saw it and asked if I'd make one for him if he provided the yarn. Kinda made me :aww: .

As for those I won't knit for...most co-workers, unless they specifically ask. I made a beautiful had crocheted layette set for a guy and his wife who were having their first baby. Let's just say the response was underwhelming to say the least. Lesson learned...not everyone appreciates the effort and love you put into your creations.

Oh well, their loss!

MrsDavis3
11-07-2007, 01:51 PM
This might sound self-centered, but the fact is, the person who most appreciates the things I knit is ME. I don't knit for anyone who really knows what goes into handmade stuff.

laikabear
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I must say that until I started to knit, I didn't really appreciate the time that went into a handknit gift either. The only such thing I have received before was a scarf for Xmas last year from my best friend's Mom. It is very cute and SOFT (novelty yarn) and I wrote her a thank you note as is my custom, but I feel very guilty now that I knit and realize that many hours go into even a simple scarf.

Plus it seems kind of silly, but I spend the whole time that I am knitting a gift thinking about the recipient and how much I like them, and what our relationship means to me, which can be a LOT of time. That's a lot of good thoughts and positive vibes!

I am a very new knitter (knitfancy :teehee: ), but I made a little washcloth set for my mom. She wasn't as impressed as I thought she would be, and my mom is usually great about stuff like that (I'm an only child, so everything I do is pure genius, LOL). I was a little disappointed but then I made myself recall my response to the scarf. Sure I was gracious, but it means a hell of a lot more to me now that I knit. So knowing that non-knitters probably will never appreciate what a knitted gift really means, I guess I will probably still knit for those I think will appreciate it in their own way and be gracious.

Some of the stories above make me so sad. Especially the moms who were rude about gifts. I mean, come on, it's your MOM. They are supposed to love everything you do. :mrgreen: I mean, appreciation for homemade or not, when someone gives you a gift, you should thank them, and with a card and not just an email.

Rorshach
11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
The one person who I will absolutely not knit for is my SIL. She has pointed to several things that she wants made, and because she has pointed it out to me, she expects it to be done. Have told her time and again that if she wanted something made, she would need to buy the yarn and the pattern, since I could afford neither. Plus, anytime I'm knitting something for myself, or for my wife or whatever, I always hear her chime in, "Oh well my mom can do a better job than that." I always smile back at her and say "That's nice, perhaps you'll have your mom make you one someday."

AnnaT
11-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Since many of us are doing holiday knitting.. it got me to thinking. Knitting someone a gift.. is an investment of time- much less $ spent on the yarn/s.

AND, it seems that those that 'don't knit' (generally) don't really realize the cost or time involved in a gift....

SO, do you have any stories?

I haven't had time to read all the responses (35 at this point) but wanted to participate. I am such a new knitter I don't really have any horror stories yet!

This is my first Christmas as a knitter, and I have knitted my mother, father, and grandmother a scarf. That probably doesn't look like much to a non-knitter, but my mother and grandmother are crocheters and will know the effort and time you mentioned. The three scarves took me six weeks to knit. I know these gifts will be loved by their recipents, if only because I made them! :mrgreen:

It is an added bonus, however, that my mother and grandmother will understand.

On the other hand!! When I took up knitting, my MIL told me that it was a waste of time and money. I swore I'd never knit her anything. When I was more confident in my skills, I knitted her sister a pretty scarf because she'd made all our curtains for us. Nothing for my MIL. When I was knitting my cat a wool blanket she asked me if it was a lap blanket for her. I said no, it's for my cat. :out: But recently she asked me to make her a gray, all wool, v-neck cardigan vest. I agreed and am almost finished with the left front. It's cabled and I plan to find some fancy pewter buttons for it. I prepared myself mentally before I started that she WILL find fault with it and I decided I won't be hurt or get mad. But I am enjoying knitting it and will be proud of it when it's finished. I think that's what matters.

psquidy
11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I made a wonderful hat for my best friend. It was the Santa Cruz hat from knittingpatterncentral.com. It was just beautiful. She said she really loved it and two days later i got into her car to go out with her and lo and behold under my feet on the floor of her car was my hat.
UGGGG!!! I just wanted to take it back.

sinistral_needler
11-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I made a wonderful hat for my best friend. It was the Santa Cruz hat from knittingpatterncentral.com. It was just beautiful. She said she really loved it and two days later i got into her car to go out with her and lo and behold under my feet on the floor of her car was my hat.
UGGGG!!! I just wanted to take it back.
I would have taken it back just to see if she would have missed it!

lelvsdgs
11-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Right now the only person I wouldn't knit for would be my dad's girlfriend. My mom passed about 5 years ago and my dad has found this usually lovely woman and is on cloud nine. The reason I won't knit or do anything else hand made for her is from past experience.

My daughter and I stayed with her during my brother's wedding (one night). It was the first time we all met and I wanted to say thank you for letting us stay and welcome to the fold. I noticed that she had lots of really beautiful earrings and decided that I would make her a pair.

I made her a pair of really nice beaded earrings, made her a thank you card and sent it off. I've never recieved a word about either and I have seen her many times since then. So, I'll knit for my dad but not for her.

I know we are supposed to give gifts without thought to getting back, but I think it's only the polite thing to do to acknowlege a gift when it is given. She really is the only person I absolutely won't knit for but I do tend to give knitted gifts to close friends. I knit quite a bit for charity and I know that is always needed and appreciated.

lelvsdgs
11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Another thought about all of this... I grew up in a crafty household. My Mom was always doing something crafty, mostly knitting. I think sometimes when that happens we can become jaded about it and not realize the skill that it takes. We just think, oh that, yeah, my Mom used to do that all the time. I think this especially if that person doesn't take up the craft themselves. Just a thought...

ladyjessica
11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
I have a story. When I first learned to knit, my first project was a sampler scarf, 2nd was a felted bag, and 3rd was a gorgeous cable-knit sweater I made for my nephew, who was about a year old at the time. It had regular cables, horseshoe cables, popcorn stitch, moss stitch, etc. I did it in a nice sunny yellow yarn for him, as well as a matching hat. Well, his mom, my sister, asked me to make one for HER nephew (belonging to her SIL). So, I did, along w/ the hat, for my sis to give her SIL as a Christmas gift. I knit feverishly for several weeks and stayed up until about 4 am on Christmas morning sewing it up. Well, sis takes it to her sil, who apparently went nuts over it, loved it, etc. But, I never heard a word. She kept saying she was going to send me a picture of the kid in the sweater, but she never did. No picture, no thank you, no nothing. Needless to say I won't ever be making anything for her again. The best part is that I did finally get a picture a few months ago, only of her 2nd child wearing the sweater, not the one it was made for. So, now I tend to only make things for me. hehe. :whistle:

Mirl56
11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
This is starting to drive me nuts: Back in August DH realizes he needs a birthday gift for his Mom - in 2 days. He asks me if I have any extra socks he might give her. My first reaction is to say no, I've worn all the socks I've made, I have no unworrn ones. I say this not because it's true (it isn't) but because I have no plans to ever knit her anything. But after stewing over this a while, I realize I do have a pair of lion-ease socks that I'd recently finished and are really too small for me. MIL is a tiny little thing so they will likely fit her better then me. So I let him know I can accommodate him afterall, here, give her these. I never really get a thank you from her, but ok, I was really giving them to DH so I don't let it bother me. too much.

Ths week, DH realzies he forgot his sister's b-day - Mirl, you got some extra socks I can give her? So, I don't care much for this SIL either, but I do happen to have just finished a pair that had originally been for me (who else!) then at DH's request they were going to be for my sister for x-mas but since we don't need them for her afterall, I relent that they can be his sister's b-day gift. But they were originally knit for me and halfway thru for my sister - we both wear the same size 9.5 shoe size. DH's sister is a little thing and only wears a 7 shoe if that. These socks really will not fit her. Well, I made a booga bag last year that is nice, not really something I'll use (I want to make me a bigger one and different colors) so I suppose I will offer that to him to give her.

So I feel like DH thinks I'm the Walmart of sock knitting, one size fits all, always a pair in stock. I am not so sure that HE appreaciates the time and investment involved.

debinoz
11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I made a baby blanket for one of my great neices when she was born, then a dress for her 1st birthday. I never got a thank you, but my sister reported that the baby blanket was in the dog's basket and the dress is still in the bag/box it was sent in. My family does not like homemade gifts, but I'm knitting every one of them something small for Christmas anyway. Why?? Because I LOVE to knit. Whether they appreciate it or not, I don't really care. It fills my time and is less expensive. I used to have a $10 rule, which got rather expensive since they keep having babies, now I can knit hats and scarves and mittens for half that... so I'm happy as can be, even if they all end up in the garbage, because I had fun doing it!

Becky Morgan
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Cell phone cozies: I used the pattern from Red Heart's site. It's #LW1539. Nice way to practice cables and seed stitch if you're new, and it only takes three-quarters of an ounce of yarn. Oh, I just looked--there's another one.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Coats/Templates/Crafts%20-%20Projects%20List.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b82D88B89-43E4-4333-97B2-FC77B47DB323%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fCrafts%2fKnitting%2fProjects%2fAc cessories%2fCrafts%2bProject%2bList%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

wanderess
11-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I would be more than happy to be adopted by any of you!! I find it sad that homemade gifts are not accepted by so many people, including my inlaws.

Samsam
11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Some of these posts make me feel so sad. It's such a shame many of you have people in your lives that are unappreciative toward your craft and ultimately..you.
right now I'm making little things for people..they still take time and such but they're not time consuming stuff...I think the only person who I will knit something that I'll really spend a long time making would be my mom. She's so worth it and chokes herself up when I do. I think when you're knitting something for someone you are sending love and you should receive some from them too :heart:

lelvsdgs
11-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I would be more than happy to be adopted by any of you!! I find it sad that homemade gifts are not accepted by so many people, including my inlaws.
Hmmm...I'm getting ready to have an empty nest in about 6 months...:)

Ironlung21
11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
After nearly ruining one Christmas due to many late nights trying to finish long fingerless gloves (with a thumb of course) for all the ladies of my inner circle, countless matching socks for couples, scarves, shrugs and numerous baby clothes that last six months - and naff all back in return to match the hours of dedication and love.... the answer to this question is that this is the year of me. All knitted goods for yours truly and no swine else.

iwfinley
11-07-2007, 05:29 PM
My family does not like homemade gifts, but I'm knitting every one of them something small for Christmas anyway. Why?? Because I LOVE to knit. Whether they appreciate it or not, I don't really care., because I had fun doing it!

Excellent attitude -- hard to maintain, but certainly a goal to emulate your thought. . . . . You are awesome!:cheering:

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
WOW! I go to bed (17 hour time zone difference from the states) and wake up to 5 pages of messages. Thanks for responding.

Sunny-singer.. I'm a teacher and I've helped many a child make adorable, and worthy of keeping Christmas ornaments.. (I'm also an art teacher- along w/ being a classroom teacher) No thank you's. You story makes me sad to hear...

Every year, that I've taught in the elementary as a classroom teacher.. I've collected 2 family recipes from each child, added recipes from the school's specialists/principals/etc, typed them, had each child illustrate their own recipe, (and also the guest recipes) xeroxed them, put them in a into a book.. purchased quality card stock paper for the front and backs in bright colors, had a specially designed and colored front and back cover 'laminated' on the colored card stock..
PUT this all together with the 'binder rings' (like purchased cookbooks have) and then we all the xeroxing was done.. the children would spend the week prior to Mother's Day using crayons to color each black and white illustration for each recipe.
They are a treasured addition to my cookbook collection. HAVE I EVER, EVER RECIEVED A THANK YOU? IN about 10 years? NO.. And, these are 'real cookbooks'.. I've sent additional copies to my own personal friends and they have also loved them.
Such a large amount of time and money went into each gift and not a thank you. It's sad.

On another note--
I remembered another 'unappreciated' knitted gift. A good friend in the states had told me that her 'very young' son had gotten married and had their first baby a boy.. so, when this child (who I had never met.. nor had I met the mother of the child) was about 2. I knitted a great 'crayon multi-colored tweedy' yarn into a hat.. and I knitted out of primary colors.. icord snakes that I hand stitched here and there around the hat.. so, the snakes were attached and not attached at the same time-- like they were crawling around the hat. Keep in mind-- the kid liked snakes, I hate snakes.. but, this was a cute, cute hat.

I had made this prior to the movie: Snakes on a plane. I never ever received a thank you note from the family of the boy.. (it was not the grandmother's place to send me a thank you card- she had let me know by email that the kid did wear the hat and was the only one he would wear.)
I guess I shouldn't have expected one anyway-- when they had gotten married a couple of years prior.. I had sent a handpainted 'Christmas cookie/dessert' platter to them from Italy (where I was living) and not a thank you for that nice gift either.

Continue sharing your posts.. it's a good place to vent and others do understand here-- since we are knitters.

tasknitter
11-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I just think that so much time and effort goes into making a knitted gift and i want the person who recieves it to know, so my knitted gifts are never surprises. Had an awful experience recently when I knitted my first pair of bootees for my sister in law's baby, sent them along with a couple of other handmade things, from Aus to the UK they weren't there when the postman knocked, the little calling card sat on the hall stand for 6 weeks before she went to pick it up, by which time it was gone (presumably returned to sender, although it hasn't turned up here yet!) biggest problem is I am almost finished a lovely soft jumper for the baby for christmas and all work has ceased on that!!! I think I'll give it to one of my local friends who's seen me working on it at bitch and stitch group!

iwfinley
11-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Got the cell phone cozy pattern -- it's cute -- thanks for posting the link!!!

MellieThePooh
11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
So far I've only knitted for DH, who's always thrilled, and my grandmother who will also be thrilled. She's like that.
But I'm remembering sitting at my bridal shower, surrounded by my mom's friends (don't ask where mine were, long story) and opening package after package of wall hangings and decorations and whatnot that just were. not. my. style. It's one thing for somebody to be unappreciative of a gift they commissioned, or outright rude to your face, but darnit all, what do you do with the perfectly ugly, unwanted, two-generations before your time candy dish with poinsetta leaves all over it? Say Thank You very much and hope your mom has a use for it.

lostchyld
11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't have many people so far who I won't knit for ever. I do know I won't make anything for my last boyfriend's SIL. I took knitting to a family event and every two sentences she was calling me Granny and being insanely disrespectful. It's a shame because she's got the most adorable little girl who I would love to make something for, but I don't want my knitting anywhere near the demon woman.

As for why I'd consider knitting for anyone in his family, we're still best friends, and I really love his mum and sister. Z is also the kind of person who understands why I knit if not exactly how the knitting works, it's about the same reason he loves his job. I know the mutual understanding guarantees appreciation from him for anything I make him.

I have a couple other friends that I'm hesitant to knit for simply because I can't really afford to. They see stuff that I've made, like armwarmers and they immediately want something similar. I don't think I'd make much for them without requiring compensation for the time.

MrsDavis3
11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
This might sound self-centered, but the fact is, the person who most appreciates the things I knit is ME. I don't knit for anyone who really knows what goes into handmade stuff.

I'm quoting myself because I see that what I wrote is ambiguous.
What I mean to say is, I knit things for others, but no one of them actually knows what it is to knit something, so it's hard for them to fully appreciate it.

Samsam
11-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm quoting myself because I see that what I wrote is ambiguous.
What I mean to say is, I knit things for others, but no one of them actually knows what it is to knit something, so it's hard for them to fully appreciate it.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from.

Sharly
11-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Could you please tell me where you got your pattern? I really wanted to make them for Christmas, but the pattern I found on the Lion Brand site is not working for me. I am a new knitter and it has me picking up stitches to add Fun Fur. It looks great on the site, but I have tried three so far and they are all very u-g-l-y, LOL!

Hi Laura - this cozy was my maiden voyage into cables. If you haven't done them, this is a perfect pattern to learn on, it is small and simple! I made the first one with the flap,per the pattern, but subsequent ones, I have left the flap off and I like them much better. I'm making a Christmas one now out of red wool with white fun fur (yep, the dreaded fun fur) trim. But, you can omit that. With the changes I made, it might look too much like the pattern you have, so be sure to look at their version!! Here's (http://www.coatsandclark.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=246&page_id=2163968&query=cell&hiword=cell+) a link to the pattern. I hope you like it as much as I do. I feel like a cable queen now!!
This is the first Christmas one I did:

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh and I just recently got an email from my friend.. that the 'daughter-in-law' and her only child (the son) is having another baby this spring.. a girl...

Now, do you think that I'll be knitting a hand-knit gift for this baby? Nope, I'll mail something lightweight.. (postage costs- mind you) that is store-bought.

SabrinaJL
11-07-2007, 06:07 PM
So far I've only knit things for charity and family. My family sees me knit and knows how much time and effort goes into my gifts so they appreciate it. I did knit for a friend once but that was because she saw a pair of Fetching I had made and begged me to knit her a pair too.

For me, it's not about the money that goes into it (although that can be considerable too), it's about my precious time. There's so much stuff that I want to knit, I wouldn't waste my time on knitting something for someone who doesn't appreciate it.

I can understand how some people think it's cheap. Before I started knitting, I figured that all yarn was the same and it was a way to save money. Now I know better.

NancyO
11-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't knit for most of the knitters I know. They wouldn't appreciate an article they themselves could knit far better than my learning.

I like the ideas of asking others if they would accept knitting, or knitting for those who ask. It's best to know, with as much effort as is given to an item, if it will be accepted or not.

This post reminds me of a time I baked bread and took a loaf around to all the neighbors... one lady said, "No, thank you." I was really shocked... even if it was white flour and they didn't eat it... she could have still taken the loaf and given it to a 'white bread eater' whom she knew needed bread. Was strange to be told no. Needless to say I never tried to give her anything else. I didn't believe she would have taken it. (She missed out on some great cookie days... but they were made with white flour too, so maybe it wasn't that much of a loss for her and her family heheh)

Nancy

lelvsdgs
11-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Excellent attitude -- hard to maintain, but certainly a goal to emulate your thought. . . . . You are awesome!:cheering:

You are so right... need to remember this. Why am I knitting anyway? For enjoyment... Thanks for the words of wisdom...:notworthy: :figureditout:

geekgolightly
11-07-2007, 08:32 PM
I am very lucky, I think. My husband's family all love the effort of handmade items. I want to be able to knit for everyone, but I get so little time to knit in the first place, that the pieces I do knit are for husband and son and myself. This Christmas I am doing a lace scarf made of mohair for one MIL and for the other MIL (step mother who is very sweet) a cabled scarf in sportweight alpaca and cashmere. I hope they actually get use out of them.

I do have parents of my own, but I removed myself from their lives about twenty years ago. I imagine that they wouldn't really appreciate my hand knitted items.

annomalley
11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't have much to add to this thread other than I'm just absolutely floored by the rudeness of some people. :noway: Even if someone gave me something I didn't necessarily like, I can still appreciate the effort and time that was put into it as well as the person's intention behind it.

I haven't knit much for other people, but those people who've gotten something I've knitted seemed to appreciate what I gave them. My DH still wears the first too short stockinette stitch scarf I made for him.

drummerboi202
11-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I absolutely will not knit for my best friend or my best guy friend. I once knit a cell phone cozy for my best friend and she never used it and last time I was over, I saw it in her dogs bed, underneath the sleeping dog. And my best guy friend likes to play with fire and I'm too scared that he'll be wearing one of my scarves when he lets off a flint bomb and it'll get burned or something. It makes me shudder to think of one of my precious scarves being singed.

scout52
11-07-2007, 11:04 PM
. And my best guy friend likes to play with fire and I'm too scared that he'll be wearing one of my scarves when he lets off a flint bomb and it'll get burned or something. It makes me shudder to think of one of my precious scarves being singed.

:roflhard: :roflhard: I"m sorry but i just found that soo funny. Not worried about your best guy friend just worried about the scarf. and what reallllly funny is that I feel EXACTLY the same. when i read that i was aww hell no i would never knit for him either.

I wont knit for my father. He will be like its nice and then put it away never to be seen again. though he likes to watch me knit. weird.

I won't knit for my new "aunt" my uncle is a year older than me, and his wife (my new aunt is 7 years younger than me) she is so crappy to my uncle that i won't knit for her. that bitch dont deserve it. She actually said in front of my uncle and the WHOLE FAMILY that if she met my brother first she would have gone after my brother and never have dated my uncle.

I won't knit for my BF's sil or his nephews. they wouldn't appreciate it. they are very materialistic. I usually buy them learning gifts which they love so if i "cheap" out with a knitted gift I know it will go on the dog bed.

My lil sister is the best person in my family because she makes requests. and she USES THEM!!! and then tells everyone that her big little sister made it for. (she's taller than me). She specifically called me in October and said she wanted a knitted gift and I said great cuz you were getting one, I was thinking of a shrug, she said But she really loved the scarf from last xmas and requested 2 more in 2 different colors.

My twin loved the sweater that i knitted her so much that she pimped my skills out and I have my first commissioned knitted request. But she is my twin, she is forced to like whatever I give her . And she will wear it because she knows that i worked hard on it.

My bf loved the scarves that i knitted him and used them all the time but then I made this beautiful aran sweater for him that I sweated over for 3 months. never wore it. He picked out the yarn and everything. even picked the pattern. I even reseamed it when i learned a better seaming techinque. but nope never wore it. Requested a hat. called it his muslim prayer hat and he is not muslim. granted it was my first hat attempt and it wasn't that great.

my brother just made his first request and lets see how he does. My mother is great. she makes a bunch of requests and will use them and or give them to her families that she counsels.

But surprisingly enough the person who was the most grateful of my knitted gifts is my Best friends 4 year old daughter Gloria. My best friend is about to have another baby. Gloria was happy about the new baby until Gloria found out that I am knitting the new baby a blanket and COMPLETELY FLIPPED OUT!! She was like NOOOO Auntie Christie makes ME knitted things because she LOVES me enough to work at my presents. Auntie Christie made my blanket so Auntie Christie needs to buy the baby a blanket. I actually had to get on the phone with her (long distance) to calm her down. and take a request for what would she like as well.

I was freakin stunned that a 4 year old somehow understood the time it took and the love that went into a handmade gift. Gloria put her foot down though and told me I could not put the baby's name on the blanket like I did hers.

drummerboi202
11-07-2007, 11:21 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: I"m sorry but i just found that soo funny. Not worried about your best guy friend just worried about the scarf. and what reallllly funny is that I feel EXACTLY the same. when i read that i was aww hell no i would never knit for him either.

lol Yeah, I could care less if he got burned. lol, Maybe it would teach him something. I just think that if he wants to play with fire, then he doesnt get my knitting. Its like if somebody gave you a cake, baked with love, and you accidentally dropped it in a campfire. I do not think so, sir.

mommydearest
11-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I've only been Knitting for about 6 months and I'm planning several easy gifts as Christmas presents - hopefully they will all be happy with them: dishrags, beer cozy's, etc. My kids see me knit and I have gift items that I better start soon for them socks and beanie. I'm having a hard time with the provisional stich for the beanie, even after watching the video 20 times. I'll get it but at least I know they want them and will use them.

I'll have to wait until after the holidays to see if I will knit again for friends and/or family. I have knit slippers for my son and he loves them although he hasn't had much need for them yet. It is finally starting to cool off in Southern Florida. It finally feels like fall.

Thank you to all you gave your comments so I'll know what to and not to expect.

Mary

dustinac
11-08-2007, 11:45 AM
It makes me sad to read the replies below...I couldn't even imagine...

I also tend to knit for just the enjoyment of it... I don't really keep things for myself...except socks :oo: ...but most of the time even in Ravelry when asks who for you will see a ? :teehee: ...

My family has always dabbled in something...someone either crochets, quilts, does hand work, or something...dad is our builder...so they really do understand the time it takes... they don't expect me to knit for them but when I do they are very pleased and I've never heard a bad word...well my dad puts in requests of what I should knit him next soooo ya know :teehee: ...mom is knitting herself now so I don't find myself knitting for her as much...but getting her notions or yarn...

My dh's family well let's just say that my husband is so proud of my knitting that when I knit for them...I do it for him cause I can tell when I'm asked it's cause he loves my knitting and is very proud of my work...I'm not sure if my items are used or not...we don't live close to them...my FIL says he wears the scarf I knit for him but even if for some reason they don't...that's ok...I enjoyed the process of knitting it and have a very proud dh who tells them all she made that... she really did :teehee:

Ok I did think of one person I don't want to knit for and I'm having trouble being positive about this year... My SIL... I made Christmas ornaments for the families but I can't seem to make her one... to much pain and hurt over the last few months...but right now she is still my SIL and it is the Christmas season...*sigh* so that is my inside battle right now :teehee:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
i will never again make ANYTHING for my MIL. i made her an afghan, i've seen her use it once (crocheted). I made her a doily (crochet) that has gone "missing", i made her hot pads and pot holders (again crochet) that she LEFT BEHIND when they moved out of their house. She would never use them... dh and i went in to get the last bits with BIL (BIL lives with them still) and there they were, still hanging on the wall... i grabbed them, i'm still livid. FIL will use them (his mom used to crochet and knit) and i told him i can always make more.

I think i'm going to knit him a hat in the buffalo sabres colors (maybe a matching striped scarf as well). I know he'll use it.

I will also never make anything for my side of the family either. they're very cruel when it comes to homemade gifts and vindictive (very nasty bunch actually regardless of the subject once you go and show any independence).

Who will i make things for? my two kids... i crocheted them afghans, they've worn them out (holes in them now), i stayed up late for 2 nights a couple years ago crocheting mittens from a pattern that i severely modified for my youngest son's school play (they had to do the mitten song... the teachers waited until MAY to tell us and my kids are glove kids). he STILL has those mittens and STILL wears them.. they're actually getting too short so i need to make him some new ones... I also need to make my dh the Dr. Who scarf he's been asking for, but i'm worried he won't wear it once i do make it because he's always so afraid of the things i make getting ruined (you should have seen how livid he was when some of the christmas ornaments i'd made got ruined or when the cats peed on the front of that harry potter sweater i'd done!)

I will also go and knit for the Lady of our tribe (the wife of the head of the tribe). I crocheted them an afghan (simple ripple design) last year and didn't sleep for a week i was working on it so hard... they ended up using it the night i gave it to them (it was cold) AND she has it displayed on her couch, said she uses it every night and keeps getting compliments on how snuggly it looks (i made it with red heart super saver LOL). I think that for yule 2009 i'm going to go and make them one with lion brand wool using this norweigan star pattern i found (knit). It's something i know they'll appreciate and use (most of the women in our tribe are crafty... most of them knit, a few crochet, some embroider, almost all sew.. to give a handmade gift is a major deal because everyone knows the time and effort that goes into it. I'm making socks for my adopted mom right now that i know she'll love and appreciate)

SteveDallas
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow.. I'm appalled at some of the responses!! I hope I've never been that rude over a gift.. tho nobody's perfect of course!! I've received my share of white elephant/"what were they thinking??" gifts (aftershave from my cousin... 2 years after I started growing a full beard... comes to mind :zombie: ) but you have to at least try to be gracious in accepting it.

Anyway. I'm just starting out so no knitting gifts this year I think. (I may try Amy's headband with pocket, which I think my daughter would love for her ipod. But we'll see.) My mom was, for whatever reason, never a fan of knitting, but she has always crocheted up a storm. When I was a kid she made each of us crocheted afghans. I still have mine--different colored squares joined together with black borders--and my kids have used it. One day my son, I think 4 at the time, took a pair of scissors to one edge and cut into it about 3" (it was on his bed at the time). I was livid--I would have been worked up over any blanket, but I was extra hot because my mom had made it for me! (To his credit, he did feel bad when I explained this to him.)

Well, I worked up the nerve to tell my mom about it, and she reacted more calmly than I had expected. (I suppose between three children, seven grandchildren, and 35+ years worth of elementary school students, she's seen just about everything a kid can throw at you.) But she gave me a new one with a similar but not identical pattern the following Christmas, along with new afghans for each of my kids (which they both always sleep with during the winter). And THEN she took the old one home next time she visited (they live about 600 miles away) and brought it back the following trip with the sliced-up panel replaced, good as new. The afghan is at the moment in our living room and I often use it when my feet get cold while I'm watching TV. I hope Mom has never felt we've been ungrateful for any stuff she's made for us.

cookworm
11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
These stories are sad and frustrating!!! :waah: There's nothing more frustrating than to make something for somebody and have them not appreciate it.

I've had that happen myself a couple of times, even by people who were "crafty" in other things. I don't think non-knitters really realize that each one of those "v's" is an actual stitch that you had to make by a specific maneuver, many times over and over. When you sew a garment, at least the fabric is already made; you cut out the pattern pieces and assemble them together. But with knitting (and crocheting), you have to start by making the fabric first. It's much more labor intensive (and I say that as a person who sews, too, so I know the work involved there).

Sometimes I think that people do realize the effort you put into the finished product, and they may want to save it "for good", so they never use it, fearing that it will get ruined or something just by careful use. It's not spun pure gold thread, it's YARN, for goodness sake!--use it and enjoy it! :teehee:

I've made myself a promise when I decide I might want to knit for somebody. I ask myself if I will get upset if the person doesn't seem to appreciate what I did. If the answer is "yes", I know I should probably not knit something for them. Believe it or not, there are times that despite the time and effort I will be putting into something--when I've asked myself if I will be upset if they don't appreciate it--the answer is "no", so I will knit whatever it is for that person anyway.

What can it hurt to drape an afghan over a couch that you made for somebody when you're going to come over for a visit to their home, even if in reality, the person may never uses it? What can it hurt to put on that scarf or sweater or an adorable little lace dress a new grandmother made for her new granddaughter on for visits that you're going to see that person so they can see how it looks being worn? You were thinking enough of the recipient to spend LOTS to time to knit/crochet it, perhaps even a sleepless night or two. Even if the recipient doesn't like it, it truly is the thought that counts with handmade items. It's just ungrateful.:grrr:

jpenguin
11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Okay, after reading all the post last night & today I am really getting nervous about what few gifts I have made for Christmas gifts for a few family members.

I have made two pairs of socks for my MIL using Step yarn cause she has to keep socks on at all times due to her diabetes and complains that store bought are not always soft enough. She has really sensitive feet now & they scratch as she says. I have also made her some knitted dish cloths but not as much worried about these cause she does crochet & has made her own but there again due to some problems with her diabetes she doesn't crochet as much & last trip down noticed that her dish cloths were in need of replacing but she just didn't feel up to making herself more so I knitted some for her.

I am more worried though about the 17 yr old DD and some of the things that I am making for her this year since things are very very tight for us, thanks to the gasoline prices, this year and trying to at least give them some kind of christmas. Being self employed and our business profits relect the gas prices going up our profit is going down! UGH, I will get off that soap box before I get into trouble. Anyway, she has seen a few things that my Monday Knitting group was working on & made a comment about likeing something someone else was doing so I got the pattern and working on those for her. I have made her afghans over the years, each time we redo the room have to have a matching afghan:teehee:, so off I go & get yarn to crochet a new one for her. I know that she does appreciate those cause now that the weather is getting colder here in Ga she drags them out to the couch to cover up with. I am also making her some ankle socks with Tofutsies yarn. Those she did ask for earlier in the year when I was learning to make socks & made her a pair that was to be a surprise for her bday but she found them & took them right away. I have to peel them off her feet just to wash them!:roflhard:

I am even more worried, if that is possible, about a Kertzer cable sweater that I am knitting for my DH. I have never made anything for him other than a crochet scarf a few years back that he usually wears if we can find the time to get away for skiing every few years. I am using the Kertzer Marble yarn for it & hope that he will appreciate & like it.

I keep thinking of who I won't knit or crochet for and cannot come up with anyone but maybe my three sisters unless they ask me to do something for them & that is just because they aren't into the crafty stuff. The didn't get that gene from our mom like I did. :aww: Although they do like the few things that I have knitted for my nephews and do thank me when I send something for the boys out of the blue. My one nephew has out grown a stocking cap I made for him & told his mother to call me, he needed a new one before it got cold.:roflhard: This was nice.

I will leave it with this that I would hope that even if I give someone something handmade they would at least say Thank you even if they don't use it or wear it. I sometimes don't make them something just to get a great reaction from them but make it for them just because I enjoy knitting or crocheting for myself to give away.

hocns
11-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I tend to make a lot of my gifts, and I do a lot of stuff, so people get soap, candles, sewn stuff, whatever. I don't give a lot of knitted gifts, as they usually take too much time, and I live far from my family, so don't really know what sort of stuff/colours they wear at present. When I do make something, I try to make something that is useful (mittens that clash with your coat are fine for shovelling snow) or consumable (candles or soap), and hope that if the recipient has no use for it, that they will pass it on to someone else.

I can also see the other point of view. There are so many people giving handmade gifts, and if I hear "it's not the gift, it's the thought that counts", one more time, I'm going to be sick. I usually hear this said by someone who is unloading a piece of crap on someone else. If THAT is what they think of me, WELL...!!! A friend of my daughter's often gives her homemade gifts, and these are pretty scary, seeing that the kid is in her late teens. When I make something for someone, I try to at the very least give something that is attractive and well made. A friend of mine also pointed out, after hearing all sorts of older women complaining that theit children and grandchildren never wore anything that was knitted for them, "Well, maybe if she used a decent yarn and a pattern that wasn't completely outdated, the sweaters would be worn". She has a point. I know a lot of women who churn out the same old stuff out of the cheapest yarn they can find, and then are horrified when the recipients are not ecstatic. If a gift has been made with some effort or care, I don't care how ugly or holey or cheaply made it is, I will usually use and enjoy it. But when someone who has been knitting for thirty years, and has a fair amount of money, comes up with lumpy bulgy mittens out of dollar store yarn, then I am not impressed.

There are knitters of all skill levels, and since we all started at the bottom, I have trouble criticizing stuff which is not perfect just because it was made by a novice. But then again, there are so many people who will give anything (for example, acrylic mittens made for a yard sale which didn't sell), as a gift because they happened to have it lying around the house.

stitchwitch
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I won't knit for my mom, even the lousy dishcloth she threw away. When I've bought store bought gifts they are never right and then are pawned off back to me a few months later with the surprise of "did you buy that for me? Oh I'm sorry I didn't know how I got that." Yeah, BS.
I knit for my husband, that man will wear anything with appreciation. He still has the first swatch I ever made in his nightstand drawer from the first time I ever picked up knitting needles.

On a simlar note, my grandmother used to make me handmade gifts for Christmas each year. Footies, socks, etc. I loved them and always looked forward to them because it wasn't something I could buy. Many times I wore out my slippers before a new pair was knitted up. I wish my grandma could see that I've taken on her craft, she'd be tickled.

mdog182
11-08-2007, 05:34 PM
i've pretty much given up on knitting things for other people....more for me!! i'm the only person i've noticed who truly appreciates the time and effort i put into my work. i made scarves for everyone last year for christmas and i was non-stop knitting up until christmas morning.....i have not seen ANYONE (besides my mom) wear their scarf. i will be making my boyfriend a pair of socks for snowboarding because he specifically asked for them and he sees all the time and effort i put into knitting.

sorantes123
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
I will not knit for my daughter. :sad: I knit two sweaters for her four children every year and even one for her husband last year. I had one OTN for her and she said I don't like the yarn or the pattern so I'll give it to my MIL as we're the same size. My DH does not wear the one I made him so he's out of the loop too. My EX still wears the one I made for him in 1993 and he has been married twice since!? Go figure. :wink: My adult sons will wear theirs as long as I don't make them out of Wool Eaze..to make a long story short..the necks kept getting bigger and bigger and everyone made fun of them (they were in their teens). :aww:

Sandi
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I only knit for myself, and baby things for friends. My two grown sons occasionallky ask me to make them a hat or a new pair of mitts.
But only if they ask, and they do wear them.
I have recently started knitting for the local children's hospital. It helps me get my knitting time quota in....
:knitting:

KnittingNat
11-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I won't be knitting for people who don't appreciate the time and effort, I guess. I knit baby stuff for a co-worker's baby and they are very appreciated (and i'm talking about her husband dropping by to our office thanking me for 5 minutes), because she herself crochets and does know how much it takes. I won't be knitting for another co-worker's baby, as I know that they are use-it-once-throw-it-away kind of consumers. For his babies i bought clothes and his wife loved them. I won't knit for certain members of my family, such as second degree uncle who had a baby 4 months ago, lives 1/2 hour drive from us and never invited us or answered the congrats message i left him. No booties for them :fingerwag:. I'm going to knit gifts for New Year (long story) for my FIL and MIL and i know that they will appreciate it. My FIL is always excited about my knitting :cheering:! I also decided to knit for my sister, who had refused knit items, but we picked the yarn and the pattern and i think she's going to love the gift!
I think it is generally lack of many things, as manners, tolerance etc., to throw a gift away or treat it as trash in front of the person that made it or gave it. I recently received a huge bag of new towels and i already have tons and tons, but i won't give it away or throw it. I'll keep it for future kids or myself.

hob
11-10-2007, 12:18 AM
my only sad gift story is a few weeks back i made my mom some slipers and my sister (who still lives at home) took them one day and lost them she didnt even ask my mom! so i keep going on at her to find them they were handmade not for her ect but she justs says so make another pair. and i am but thats sooo not the point! i have made my sister a cardi for her baby on the way but i know she wont be thankfull as shes had knitted gifts of one of her kids nanna before and left it to get mold on it. i once took her two girls to a photorgphy shoot and mounted and framed the photos they were left on the flour and then trown away never mind eh?(@HY&^(GGDF***K)$**^JF COST TIME EFORT)i am at this very moment makeing slipers for a woman i never met (my taxi drivers wife) and i bet she loves them more then my 2 sisters love anything i ever gave them(even the jewled cross i got my sister for her 16th that i took a extra job to pay for was lost ina week grrrrrrr) id still make them gifts tho but not ones that took forever like a jumper.

Sunny_Singer
11-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Hmmm...I'm getting ready to have an empty nest in about 6 months...:)

I have an empty nest. Our younger daughter flew the coop 6+ months ago. Freedom! We love it :)

Sunny

noejusti
11-10-2007, 04:09 AM
I feel really bad about some of these stories I've read. Some of the gift recipients mentioned in the stories are real jerks.

I have been making things for people's babies. And I was afraid that they didn't like them at first, until more of my friends got pregnant and then started hinting that they hoped they would get a handmade gift from me. I have a general rule- I don't make standard blue and pink baby stuff. My friend Grace is having a baby shower in about two months, she knows she is most likely to get something from me that won't be pale pink (actually, I found a really cool looking fuschia yarn I am going to use- and that is the closest thing to pink that I will allow.)

I do "screen" my friends to see who wants something and let them pick things out like the colors. But if anyone is not wearing something I made or if they make a negative comment, I will tell them to give it back because I always make things that I like as well. I'll wear it if they won't. But they won't get another handmade thing from me, I can promise you that.

And for those people who have the friends who keep asking for you to make something for them, and then when you do make them something, they don't wear it: tell them NO. Tell them that it hurts your feelings that they don't appreciate what you have done for them. Just like those people who don't write thank you notes (or emails) anymore because they have forgotten proper etiquette- it is OK to remind them that they are being rude. Just do it nicely. Besides, what are friends (or family) for? :)

V.

annomalley
11-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I can also see the other point of view. There are so many people giving handmade gifts, and if I hear "it's not the gift, it's the thought that counts", one more time, I'm going to be sick. I usually hear this said by someone who is unloading a piece of crap on someone else. If THAT is what they think of me, WELL...!!! A friend of my daughter's often gives her homemade gifts, and these are pretty scary, seeing that the kid is in her late teens. When I make something for someone, I try to at the very least give something that is attractive and well made. A friend of mine also pointed out, after hearing all sorts of older women complaining that theit children and grandchildren never wore anything that was knitted for them, "Well, maybe if she used a decent yarn and a pattern that wasn't completely outdated, the sweaters would be worn". She has a point. I know a lot of women who churn out the same old stuff out of the cheapest yarn they can find, and then are horrified when the recipients are not ecstatic. If a gift has been made with some effort or care, I don't care how ugly or holey or cheaply made it is, I will usually use and enjoy it. But when someone who has been knitting for thirty years, and has a fair amount of money, comes up with lumpy bulgy mittens out of dollar store yarn, then I am not impressed.

My DH is a big fan of Doctor Who and has been since he was a kid. Ever since he was a kid, he's wanted a scarf like Tom Baker. His mother took it upon herself to make one for him. I guess to put it politely, she looked at the one on TV and crocheted DH something that doesn't even look like a Doctor Who Scarf. The scarf is very long, consists of seven colors in a very random stripe sequence, with the stripes being random heights, knit in garter stitch.

This scarf was crocheted using double crochet and it looks more like a knitted drop stitch than garter stitch, there is not one single color in it that's even close to what's in the actual scarf, the size of the stripes don't even look like the stripes in the actual scarf. My DH hates it. He doesn't come right out and say it, but I can tell that he hates the thing. He won't wear it out in public because he's so embarrassed by it. And yet, he hangs onto it, because, as he puts it, it's the only thing he has that's even close to an actual Doctor Who Tom Baker scarf he's got. And it's not even close at all. There is nothing in it that would make it somewhat recognizable as a Tom Baker Doctor Who Scarf. I have this feeling that this scarf is why he doesn't like anything that's crocheted. I wish he would at least give the scarf away to charity or Goodwill or something like that, so someone can get some use out of it and he can stop being so miserable. Knowing my MIL, she probably took one look at the scarf on TV, thought, "It's stripes, what's the difference" and crocheted this scarf for DH without taking the time to find out what it's actually supposed to look like. It makes her look like she doesn't really care enough to take the time to make it properly. Granted, this is a replica of something from a television show, so there is proper a way it's supposed to look like. For other things that aren't replicas from TV and the movies, it's probably more of a size or color issue.

I guess there isn't much point to this story, other than to back up hocns point. But even if someone makes you something and it's "wrong", it still doesn't give a person the right to be rude if they don't like it. I'm not insinuating at all that anyone here makes "crap" when they made a gift for another person that wasn't appreciated. (I've seen your FO's in the other forum. :)) In this case, and knowing my MIL, it was more of trying to make herself look like the Coolest Mom in the World in DH's eyes, than caring enough to take the time to make him a replica of something that means a lot to him and to make it properly. That scarf is something that means so much to him and that show is something that means so much to him. I know that's why he hates the scarf he got from MIL. It goes down to deeper issues than a scarf and I'm not a psychiatrist, and I won't bore you all with the details.

As soon as the rest of my yarn comes in, I'm going to knit DH that Doctor Who Scarf he's been wanting for years.

Mommy22alyns
11-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I will not knit for MIL. Not happening. The woman barely uses any of the Christmas gifts we've bought for her, so I'm sure as heck not going to knit her something. I made a Clapotis (just because I wanted to knit one) and asked DH if she might actually wear it, as she's perpetually cold in restaurants & such. He said he'd have to ask her and I told him not to bother. If he has to ask, then it won't be appreciated.
I enjoy the knitting, but if I give to someone then it darn well better be appreciated!!
Now my DH truly does appreciate things, and he's only received practice washcloths and my hideous first pair of socks. He's worn the socks constantly since it got cold enough to wear them. :heart: He can see first-hand and knows how hard I work on knitting things.

Mommy22alyns
11-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I refuse to knit for my MIL, simply because she's a spiteful bitch.

Oh gosh... it's terrible of me, but I LOLed when I read that!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't knit for most of the knitters I know. They wouldn't appreciate an article they themselves could knit far better than my learning.

Nancy

not always true....
Sometimes they make nasty remarks out of jelousy that they're too intimidated to attempt to make what you have made :)

and as for keeping things... i STILL have, in my keepsake box, two tangles of yarn with a crochet hook in one and knitting needles in the other... :heart:

One, in verigated red heart with the crochet hook is my "pokemon" that my now 9 year old "crocheted" for me (while i was pregnant with his younger brother and working on an afghan) when he was two.

The tangle of red heart in blue (leftovers from his sweater) with the two plastic red heart knitting needles in it is from my youngest.. he's still deciding what it is...

redwitch
11-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Ann maybe rather than not putting in the effort to do a scarf properly your MIL did not realise that getting the exact shades used in the scarf and making the stripes all the right size was important to it being a Dr. Who scarf? Maybe she thought that a Dr. Who scarf was just a striped scarf and she wasn't being lazy.

Whay does hub find it embarrassing? Is it badly made or a combination of really bad colours? I don't see how the fact that it is different colours alone would make it embarrassing. Also, from her point of view, hub has done what everyone here is empathising over... said he really wanted something, was given something as a gift that was made by hand with thought and care, and it was never worn at all. Maybe that's why some of you are experiencing the same thing is that possible?
Expressing gratitude for a gift is one thing but using/needing/wearing something unsuitable or something you don't like is another.

miss_molly
11-11-2007, 06:33 AM
When my daughter-in-law was pregnant with my first grandchild, now 3, I knitted a big rug. A lot of love, effort and excitement went into it, plus the yarn cost the earth - not that that mattered, as it was for MY granddaughter! I also knitted some little cardigans and beanies, all cute, all modern. I was so excited when I gave them to her but she barely looked at them. She'd just had the baby, she was in hospital, there was lots happening... I made excuses for her... I thought that surely she'd mention them later.

She never did, nor did I ever see them being used, and I was hurt. Didn't say so, just decided never to knit for her again.

She recently gave birth to my 3rd grandchild and commented on how cold it had been at night. I asked if she would like me to knit her a rug for him. YES!!! So I went like mad, sat up to all hours for 3 days and posted it off to her. She loves it, and she uses it. I've also noticed that the first unused blanket I made, for my granddaughter, is now also being used for my new grandson.

What a difference a thank you and some feedback on how much a gift is appreciated would make. Who knows, perhaps all this time she DID like what I knitted 3 years ago and if only she'd told me I would have avoided a lot of hurt and she would have received many more knitted gifts.

The good thing is that knitting for her got me back into knitting... hadn't done it for about 30 years... and now I knit baby items constantly for friends who appreciate it, or for selling on eBay. All modern in style and colour as I know that that is what young mothers appreciate these days. And I can't wait till my two daughters have babies as I know they DO take pride in what their mum makes and will be very happy to have things made for their babies.

annomalley
11-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Ann maybe rather than not putting in the effort to do a scarf properly your MIL did not realise that getting the exact shades used in the scarf and making the stripes all the right size was important to it being a Dr. Who scarf? Maybe she thought that a Dr. Who scarf was just a striped scarf and she wasn't being lazy.

Whay does hub find it embarrassing? Is it badly made or a combination of really bad colours? I don't see how the fact that it is different colours alone would make it embarrassing. Also, from her point of view, hub has done what everyone here is empathising over... said he really wanted something, was given something as a gift that was made by hand with thought and care, and it was never worn at all. Maybe that's why some of you are experiencing the same thing is that possible?
Expressing gratitude for a gift is one thing but using/needing/wearing something unsuitable or something you don't like is another.

This isn't a matter of colors being a shade or two off what was in the scarf. These were colors that aren't even in the scarf at all. As I said in my previous post, this is a replica of something from a television show, so size and color do matter. There's geek cred involved in this, too. That scarf is something from that show that is very recognizable. You shouldn't have to go into a room full of fellow fans and have to explain what it is.

That aside, though, DH told her what it was supposed to look like, and she ignored him completely and did her own thing. She has a pattern of doing this sort of thing to him throughout his entire life.

miccisue
11-11-2007, 02:23 PM
This isn't a matter of colors being a shade or two off what was in the scarf. These were colors that aren't even in the scarf at all. As I said in my previous post, this is a replica of something from a television show, so size and color do matter. There's geek cred involved in this, too. That scarf is something from that show that is very recognizable. You shouldn't have to go into a room full of fellow fans and have to explain what it is.

That aside, though, DH told her what it was supposed to look like, and she ignored him completely and did her own thing. She has a pattern of doing this sort of thing to him throughout his entire life.
Dumb question.....this Dr. Who scarf thing had me scratching my head, so I went to drwhoscarf.com to see what it looked like. According to the "history" section, there have been a few versions of the scarf - are any of them considered passable, or is only one version acceptible? Just curious.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-11-2007, 02:45 PM
it depends on the season... dh wants the "original" tom baker one (season 14)... it's a matter of how much they've embraced their inner geek :)

hummingbird
11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't have that many people that I won't knit for.

This thread got me thinking about people who appreciate handmade gifts, and my Dad is at the top of the list. I made a bunch of scarves in 7th grade and some of them were pretty short. They ended up in the family scarf/mitten/golve/hat etc box by the front door and I still see Dad wearing one every once in a while. I made a tool box for him in 8th grade shop class and he was so excited that I made it. He kept it in his trunk and I think he still uses it.
My family has been pretty appreciative of the things I made them.

NancyO
11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Mirl,

Wow what an incredible and amazing compliment your husband is giving you about your craft. Some husbands don't even notice, yet yours did! If you have a concern with saying no to him that you can't and don't have something to offer, that's something else. But he is complimenting you very highly. You'r very lucky to have such a nice husband.

Nancy

NancyO
11-11-2007, 08:17 PM
To number 87... You're right it's hard to say if it's jealousy or just out right bad manners.

I do have a good story though... my mother in law is a supreme knitter, chrocheter, quilter, lace maker... and I made her an afgan without thought that it might not be wanted! It was a varigation of pinks, lovely to my taste. She has it out laying on the ottoman, always in sight, always being used even if for feet. It does NOT go with her living room... but she has it there any way... I love the compliment.

So I must amend... most knitters I know I might not knit for.... don't want to make them 'jealous' ehhehehehhe Thanks for your encouragement... it's nice to have the little mental push to keep knitting and be supported that my effort and time DO have value... with my poor brain it's a wonder I can hold a needle without poking my eye out! Sometimes it's an extreme effort just to concentrate on a pattern... so it's HUGE effort sometimes to knit. Thanks for your support with that.

Nancy

NancyO
11-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Cookworm typed: "What can it hurt to drape an afghan over a couch that you made for somebody when you're going to come over for a visit to their home, even if in reality, the person may never uses it? What can it hurt to put on that scarf or sweater or an adorable little lace dress a new grandmother made for her new granddaughter on for visits that you're going to see that person so they can see how it looks being worn?"

This is a very good point even if there were no hurt feelings out there. I've a brother in law who taught me a great great lesson. When he is given a gift especially of clothing he makes a point to wear it in front of the person who gave it. So a new shirt even of colours he would never wear he would put the shirt on when visiting that person on Christmas day... or whenever, but as soon as possible as he could. (Of course long distances excepted.)

But why not wear the thing? Even if it's lopsided and ill coloured, and whatever. Sure if it's immodest or too small... but has that been mentioned at all? No... no one has been hurt by people not wearing belly shirts cuz it was knitted too short by mistake. What does it hurt to wear colours that are geeky.... as if our lives are run by what others judge. I suppose if a person is shallow enough to be humiliated by the colours of a sweater... then no they are not a person to knit for. So maybe the maturity of the recipient is the factor more than the waste of time and effort AND money of an unappreciated, or literally stepped on gift.

Maturity doesn't cost that much pride to in the end give appreciation appropriately for a gift. I think a wise man said... -A lack of appreciation is the worse thing to do... it is to return evil for a good act.- And that's just wrong.

Why not just wear the funky thing? Who does it hurt? Certainly not the giver for whom MANY kindnesses is deserved and hello! will be appreciated in most cases.

Nancy

The.Knitter
11-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks Nancy, now can you tell my daughter that? PLEASE??? That dress looked soooo good on the baby, but it only got worn twice and then it was too small. What a waste of time and energy. It wasn't ugly. It was nicely made. It fit nicely. It looked wonderful on her. It sat in a closet for a year. That HURT! It's ok, I have a picture of her wearing it and carry it with me always. She can't take that away from me. No one can....

The.Knitter
11-11-2007, 11:13 PM
This is my little angel wearing "that dress" just so that you can see it was pretty. It looked good on her. Oh well, at least I thought it did.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
she looks absolutely adorable and good job on the dress grandma!

NancyO
11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
This is going to be really really really spiteful and bitchy like another poster said about her mother in law... hehehehehhe. But it's no wonder you want to give your home made gifts! I get it now! lol

If your daughter and other's family members are dim witted like me... and just brain dead (like me) then it's likely that's the cause rather than poor mothering, and or shoddy character of the recipient. But if not, and there are NOT extenuating circumstances like the package went awry... or the person LOVED the article and wore it and put it on their car seat so they COULD wear it again and someone else made it go on the car floor... or some other unforseen catastrophe... but that the person was JUST an ungrateful, mean, shallow, bitchy, cruel wretch... then shame on them for returning a kind deed with a cruel one. Ingratitude is worse than many things in this world not all of them... but a lot!

Give me your knitting, your unwanted and downtrodden. Send them to me.... I may giggle at a colour but believe me if it will go over my head... or even sit on it at least I'll wear it... oh and it must be able to go around the rest of me too preferably... but mayby not even that now that I've written such a passionate post. I'll wear it no matter what! hehehheheh

Nancy

The.Knitter
11-11-2007, 11:47 PM
This is going to be really really really spiteful and bitchy like another poster said about her mother in law... hehehehehhe. But it's no wonder you want to give your home made gifts! I get it now! lol

Yes, that IS why that comment is on my signature. I also have that same bumper sticker on my car. It offended both my adult children terribly when I put that bumper sticker there, but oh well, that's life. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. Nice to know that someone finally understands!!! Thanks Nancy.

P.S. At least my knitting does not ignore me unless it needs something or ignore my signs of affection and think them unworthy. It is always there for me, always ready to be picked up, always does what I tell it to do, never talks back and is dependable and reliable.

Soooooooooooo which one of my kids DO you want? LMAO

NancyO
11-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Well since I have 3 angels... can I have the nice twin ... you know NOT the evil twin? Got another angel under there somewhere?

And are you even going to talk to me on chat? ahahhahah Just kidding... nice way to get me out of there so you could save all those with questions on 'how to'..

Oh by the by... you mentioned being well I don't remember the word... handicapped? You ok? What's happened?

Oh and I was totally brain dead about the beautiful job you did on that dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a nice grandma not to steal such an angel away along with the dress! ahahhahahah Ok I won't break up families. But honestly it's a lovely lovely job on the dress... way to go... what a nice mommy you are, and such a nice grandma. I loved knitted things for my babies... I always thought they were in high end stuff, and ALL my stuff was second hand ahahahhahah. People really don't get it. And with the knitted things I KNEW my babies were warm and would stay that way come sleet or snow. Oh and by the by too... what a very adorable granddaughter... you sure you didn't make her too? hehehhe

Nancy

SnarfyCat
11-12-2007, 12:27 AM
When my beautiful granddaughter was born, I knit her a lace dress. I had never knit lace before and I was so excited when it turned out well. I even knit it in the colour I was TOLD to knit it in when my DD found out I was knitting it. Well I anxiously finished this dress, put on the buttons, strung the ribbon through the waist holes, washed it and sealed it into a baggie. This was to be a Christmas gift (my first for Gramma's precious). The BIG day came and my DD opened the dress package. She seemed receptive but said it was too big and she would take a picture of the baby in it when it fit her. A year later when I was at their house one day, I found the dress, still in it's baggie, the ribbon not even wrinkled. I knew she had never put this on the baby. Soooo I swiped the dress and put it into my tote bag, swiped the baby and took her to Wallie World, where I dressed her in her little dress and had her picture taken in it. I kept some of the pictures the package provided, but gave the rest to my daughter for Mother's Day. She never even hung the pictures up. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?

This same woman (my DD) asked me to knit my granddaughter a "fweater" for her several weeks ago, one that matched the one I made my grandson the same year the baby got her lace dress, which I did. I then made a ribs and ruffles scarf to go with said "fweater". I knit a palindrome scarf for my grandson. I got told the scarfs were too short, but that the baby's was "usable", where the grandson's was not. I think it's time I started thinking about NOT knitting for that family.

My DS had his first child in July. I knit and knit. I made a blanket, a sweater, a hat, and booties. It was a beautiful set. I never even got a phone call thanking me or acknowledging that they received the package. I'll send gift cards from now on.

Both of these adult children of mine grew up knowing about knitting and crafts. They know the time it takes to make these things. They understand because they grew up watching it. The items I've been making don't have mistakes in them, they don't look bad, they fit, they are the colours I am TOLD to knit for the children. What am I doing wrong?

I will NOT be discouraged. I will keep on knitting! I enjoy it and if those people don't want my gifts, someone else surely will!

I think this topic touched off a sore spot. Sorry to vent!

It is so sad to hear how unappreciated such wonderful gifts are. My grandmother is getting on in years (the one who taught me to knit et do Hardanger embroidery) et has been asking what I want from her when she dies. As hard as it is to think of something like that, the things that I treasure the most are the beautiful garments et artwork that she has created with her skills. I have a couple of pieces that I have had framed et will pass on to my kids so they will learn to appreciate the skill that is rapidly disappearing because store-bought is cheaper et easier. Keep making these amazing gifts, but definitely find someone who will truely appreciate all that you have done for them!!

SnarfyCat
11-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Ya'll are making me nervous about my upcoming christmas gifts!!! With the exception of one, they are all surprise gifts. Yikes. Oh well, everyone in my family is incredibly crafty and have been exchanging homemade crafts for gifts for years!

GOOD FOR YOU! Don't be nervous, if they don't _get it_ then forget them but be proud of what you did!

SnarfyCat
11-12-2007, 12:54 AM
After nearly ruining one Christmas due to many late nights trying to finish long fingerless gloves (with a thumb of course) for all the ladies of my inner circle, countless matching socks for couples, scarves, shrugs and numerous baby clothes that last six months - and naff all back in return to match the hours of dedication and love.... the answer to this question is that this is the year of me. All knitted goods for yours truly and no swine else.

*falls off her chair laughing* Good for you!

SnarfyCat
11-12-2007, 01:03 AM
But surprisingly enough the person who was the most grateful of my knitted gifts is my Best friends 4 year old daughter Gloria. My best friend is about to have another baby. Gloria was happy about the new baby until Gloria found out that I am knitting the new baby a blanket and COMPLETELY FLIPPED OUT!! She was like NOOOO Auntie Christie makes ME knitted things because she LOVES me enough to work at my presents. Auntie Christie made my blanket so Auntie Christie needs to buy the baby a blanket. I actually had to get on the phone with her (long distance) to calm her down. and take a request for what would she like as well.

I was freakin stunned that a 4 year old somehow understood the time it took and the love that went into a handmade gift. Gloria put her foot down though and told me I could not put the baby's name on the blanket like I did hers.

That is a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!

sorantes123
11-12-2007, 03:56 AM
What a wonderful dress and on such a cutie! I have yet to get one picture of my grandkids in the sweaters I made them LAST year. What a great treasure you have in that snapshot!! :yay:

Abbily
11-12-2007, 01:21 PM
What a truly beautiful dress that is, I would LOVE to have something like that for my girls! My grandma, who taught me to knit, sent me so many beautiful sweaters and cardis for my daughters, and my girls loved them (as did I!) and wore them every chance they got. Now, sadly, my grandma has passed on, but the tiny sweaters and booties she sent me are in the keepsake boxes so that my girls can use them for their babies, if they have babies.

The.Knitter
11-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks. Sadly, my daughter did not think so. Oh well, that's life. Perhaps I got her from under a cabbage leaf, because she sure is NOT like me! She likes things bought from fancy stores for her children. She calls herself a "label whore" (whatever that means) and laughs when she says it, as if it won't hurt then that she doesn't want or like the pretty pink dress you made the baby.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-12-2007, 01:58 PM
"label whore" is the same thing as a brand name snob. when she buys the clothing, it's more important to her what company made it (gap, old navy, etc) than what it costs and whether or not she can find it cheaper elsewhere. certain brand names give kids status in the schools... it implies that their parents are well off and well to do.

downthestream
11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Whoa, what a lot of responses to this thread. It seems to have really hit a nerve. So far, I have only gifted things to my new niece (and her mom seems to love the blankets and sweaters I made) and to my own 21 year old daughter who thinks it's amazing that I have embraced a new hobby! My closet is filled with more scarves and hats than I can wear, but I was always hesitant to give them away. Now I know why!!! And if it is any consolation, these ungrateful people in your lives probably don't love store bought gifts either. Sometimes it helps to keep things less personal in the gift giving so that the receiving part isn't so painful. Happy knitting everyone.:knitting:

Jan in CA
11-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I am in shock... she didn't want this gorgeous dress??! There is simply no explaining some people is there.. :(

This is my little angel wearing "that dress" just so that you can see it was pretty. It looked good on her. Oh well, at least I thought it did.

marykz
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
And if it is any consolation, these ungrateful people in your lives probably don't love store bought gifts either.

that is SOOOO true. some people just can't be grateful or happy, and nothing I do or try will change it. I just have to keep remembering that it isn't about me.......

The.Knitter
11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Whoa, what a lot of responses to this thread. It seems to have really hit a nerve. So far, I have only gifted things to my new niece (and her mom seems to love the blankets and sweaters I made) and to my own 21 year old daughter who thinks it's amazing that I have embraced a new hobby! My closet is filled with more scarves and hats than I can wear, but I was always hesitant to give them away. Now I know why!!! And if it is any consolation, these ungrateful people in your lives probably don't love store bought gifts either. Sometimes it helps to keep things less personal in the gift giving so that the receiving part isn't so painful. Happy knitting everyone.:knitting:

But the best part about holiday seasons is the giving and the anticipation of how those gifts will be received (at least it is for me). Each gift, made with love and the happiness of knowing you can create something for someone you love, is a part of you. These people just don't understand that because they have no inclination to learn a skill like this, so have no idea how it feels to put your heart and soul into a project. Oh well, life goes on....

The.Knitter
11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
I am in shock... she didn't want this gorgeous dress??! There is simply no explaining some people is there.. :(

If you think you are in shock Jan, you should see how I felt when I found it hidden in the bottom of a box still in it's original wrapping and the plastic bag I had lovingly sealed it in. There IS not explaining some people, even ones you thought you knew inside out and backwards.

I moved on. I knit on. I learned to harden my heart (but never ever against my grandchildren).

Debkcs
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Whether they appreciate it or not, I don't really care., because I had fun doing it!

Absolutely right! I consider the gift for the giver, not the receiver. We take a lot of care to make sure what we buy or make is something they will like, but if it's not that's OK, we did what we could. I made a crocheted sweater for my mother, who was still smoking, found it with a burn hole. It was so beautiful, after that I decided I just couldn't care. Happily, most of my friends and family would rather have something handcrafted rather than bought. Love my family! :grphug:

The.Knitter - I CANNOT believe that beautiful dress just sat inside a closet. What a boorish person that mom must be.

Ironlung21
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Funny how these things can fester.
Having said out loud (well typed) ages back in this very long thread that I was being really selfish and just knitting for me - I immediately regretted it. Low and behold - I found myself in a not so LYS this weekend and have now got a few projects lining up for Christmas gifts. And its nearly the middle of November. I foresee more late nights ahead. Plus agreed to knit an ipod cover for someone at work's boyfriend today.... must be something in the air....maybe its time to put the ghosts of Christmas past (gifts) behind and move on. Apart of course for the lady with the dress still in its box... shame on them!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
the more i think about the dress the more i want to cry. I would hope that either I had the ability to make such a gorgeous item (should we ever have a daughter) so that she could wear it home from the hospital and for her first pictures! THEN go and have it preserved in a box so she could use it for HER babies.

twowackykids
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
I knit for those who appreciate it. My husband and I have this couple that we are friends with who love the fact that I knit. I made them hats and scarves last year, and when the weather first started to get chilly, they had their hats on. I was so stoked. We were out at a bar and someone asked them where they got their hats; it felt good. They are getting really nice hat and scarf sets this year in "good" yarn.
I will never knit anything for my husband. He gets that I love to knit and thinks it's cool, but he has already told me that he wouldn't wear anything I would make him. At first I was offended, then I realized he was doing me a favor by not wasting my time. He just doesn't wear hats and scarves and the few sweaters he owns rarely get work because "sweaters are too hot". He was given a crochet scarf for his birthday last year from one of his scouting cohorts, and it's still folded with the rest of his scout stuff. He'll just never wear it even though he thought it was awesome that someone would make something for him.

WildMountainHoney
11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
:grphug:

One thought I had, while reading this big thread, was about familys, and ILs and how complicated the relationships can be.

First ILs, I know many mentioned their MILs, and MissMolly her DIL - In-law relationships alone can be difficult. Add in handmade items, and it just seems it could be very easy to get lost in translation. I often assume that if I gush to my husband about something his mother made for the children, that he is passing that along (especially as the gifts aren't for ME, they are for OUR children, and it is HIS MOM!).

Then there is the immediate family. The sisters you know are careless. The history between mother and son that make a "wrong" scarf dredge up all the past history of hurt between them.

For who I won't knit for? So far no one, but we'll have to see. My mother did terribly hurt my feelings already - when I was describing how my baby will immediately yank off the hat I knit for him, and toss it on the ground, laughing as I pick it up, brush it off, and put it back on his head only to start all over again, she said "well of course he won't wear it! I'm sure it's terribly scratchy. Why don't you let me go buy him a REAL hat?!" I think I had smoking coming out of my ears. She had even SEEN the hat, yet alone touched it, how dare she!! Yet, when I told of her of the fingerless gloves I was giving to MIL, and the wrap for step-mom, and the dishclothes for everyone......she was suddenly very obviously jealous that her only item on the list was a dish cloth. I asked what she'd like "oh, anything you make dear!" ~sigh~ So I have a bamboo shrug OTN. We'll see.

The.Knitter
11-12-2007, 11:18 PM
the more i think about the dress the more i want to cry. I would hope that either I had the ability to make such a gorgeous item (should we ever have a daughter) so that she could wear it home from the hospital and for her first pictures! THEN go and have it preserved in a box so she could use it for HER babies.

I have typed the pattern in Word on my computer. If anyone would like a copy of it to make for their favourite little girl, just PM me the e-mail address and I will send it to you. Thanks!

msmelody
11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
The.Knitter, you gave the baby back? I would have kept the dress and the baby.

Ungrateful people do not deserve such loveliness. None of my family or friends do "crafty" things, so I rarely give them knitted things unless I ask first.

Made my MIL a hat since she lost all her hair to chemo. Mailed it around the 15th of October, should have arrived by now. But no one in the house has let me know that it has arrived. I do not expect anything from her since she is on lots of pain medicine and is not expected to last to the new year, but something telling me that it has arrived would be nice.

mommydearest
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
If my daughter was little (she's 14) I would have loved to be given that dress. I used to love dressing her up. My dh would buy these beautiful Mexican dresses and I would always be sad when she grew out of them. I haven't tried knitting clothing yet except for slippers but it will be a New Years Resolution for 2008.

I have been on a knitting frenzy the last few days getting Christmas gifts done - nothing fancy but I am really hoping the receivers will appreciate them.

I have a question: Would you willingly knit a scarf for someone you KNOW (my dh), who wants one but would NEVER wear it? We live in Southwest Florida.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-13-2007, 10:33 AM
thanks The.Knitter... i'll PM you my e-mail addy...

to give you ladies an idea of something appreciated: my 7 year old went off to school in tears this morning... why? because he couldn't find the mittens that I'd made him (he had them last night, I'd washed them for him... they're a bit small but he insists on wearing them!) and his older brother (the 9 yo) wouldn't help him look for them. I told him that if i didn't find them today (i think theyr'e up in the disaster zone that is their bedroom) then i'd make him a new pair.

Lisa1216
11-13-2007, 10:45 AM
On another appreciative note (I found this out the other day)....I had knit a bunch of dishcloths about 6 months ago and had a stack of them just sitting in my kitchen. Good friends of ours were over and I gave some to my friend. When her 6 yo dd saw them, she wanted one too. I had one in varigated pastel colors, so she picked that one. I never gave it another thought, but my friend told me the other day that her dd sleeps with that dishcloth on her pillow every night! :heart: I did make this same girl a felted purse for her birthday last month, and she carries it everywhere.

sboehm1977
11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
This is for Becky....Does you husband not understand the cost of yarn?
It should not matter to him if it is hand made as long as it makes you happy.
Example...he is a golfer, you hate golf..Would you throw away his clubs?

snowbear
11-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I can attest to the thoughtfullness of Cando.. I still carry her thank you gift of her lavender sachet every day. She is awesome!

noejusti
11-13-2007, 08:15 PM
If my daughter was little (she's 14) I would have loved to be given that dress. I used to love dressing her up. My dh would buy these beautiful Mexican dresses and I would always be sad when she grew out of them. I haven't tried knitting clothing yet except for slippers but it will be a New Years Resolution for 2008.

I have been on a knitting frenzy the last few days getting Christmas gifts done - nothing fancy but I am really hoping the receivers will appreciate them.

I have a question: Would you willingly knit a scarf for someone you KNOW (my dh), who wants one but would NEVER wear it? We live in Southwest Florida.
Mommy dearest, I would defintely knit something for my DH even in a warm weather state. I live in Southern California and I am making a sweater for my DH in cotton right now. There is a really nice scarf pattern on knitty.com called Henry which is meant to be done in a fingering or sock-weight yarn so it shouldn't be too heavy and may be nice for going out in the evening.

Happy knitting,

V.

Arielluria
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I can think of some people that I know really well that I KNOW wouldn't appreciate it. It's mostly people who have no appreciation for anything hand made and in some cases wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything that didn't have a designer label. I won't waste time knitting for them!

pregodego2
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
nothing much to add but im taking notes! lol

AnnaT
11-14-2007, 01:31 AM
I never gave it another thought, but my friend told me the other day that her dd sleeps with that dishcloth on her pillow every night! :heart: I did make this same girl a felted purse for her birthday last month, and she carries it everywhere.

There's just something special about knitted things! :heart:

Is she old enough to learn to knit? :)

amy
11-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Oh my goodness, what stories! Heart wrenching, in both directions.

I'm all for making small knits as gifts. Good way to test the waters the first time, at least! In my opinion, people should be effusive over anything handmade, however small. If they're not possitively effusive, they definitely get ruled out for future hand knits!

The gifts that have been most satisfying for me as small gift knits, are delicate Christmas ornaments (stars, tiny mittens, lots of ideas here), and custom-sized camera cozies. Cozies are a lot of fun for making up fair isle patterns, practicing cables, etc, so I always enjoy those. But retrospectively, I think the best part for me is that when I see my friends/family at holidays, I often get to see these gifts in use! Nothing beats that, for sure.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 02:47 AM
I guess the answer is to live and learn. Always ask before planning a big knitted gift, just in case the person wants the opportunity to tell you they would prefer not to receive something of this nature as a gift for themselves or their family.

ArtLady1981
11-14-2007, 03:59 AM
There are a couple of people I would never knit for again, but I don't regret having knitted for them in the first place. The knitted items were gifts of love. I gave them freely, with no strings. However, my feelings got hurt by the lack of outward appreciation. It takes away some of the joy. 'Nuff said.

amberof2
11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
After I knit or give any hand-made gift I tell the person. If you don't like or don't think you will ever use it, please pass it on to someone who you think will really love it.
I risk being considered rude by some, but at least I can hope that the gift won't just be callously thrown away if it's unappreciated.

miccisue
11-14-2007, 08:48 AM
I guess the answer is to live and learn. Always ask before planning a big knitted gift, just in case the person wants the opportunity to tell you they would prefer not to receive something of this nature as a gift for themselves or their family.
You're right, of course, but I had to admit I got a chuckle (OK, kind of an evil one) last Christmas when I'd knitted lapghans for my SILs and nieces that were married. One step-niece has kids that were probably 6 and 4 last year (can you tell these are the ones we never see?), and although they got presents of their own, when she opened the box with the lapghan the oldest one grabbled it and said "oh, a blanket!!! And it's so soft!!!" and ran away with it. So, even though she didn't seem to appreciate it, I'm betting the kids put it to good use.
And yes, that was another gift I never even got a "thank you" for..........

Lisa1216
11-14-2007, 09:03 AM
There's just something special about knitted things! :heart:

Is she old enough to learn to knit? :)

She just turned 7 and loves to sit next to me and help "sew" things with my yarn. :knitting: I help her hold the needles and she wraps the yarn around for the stitches. I should dig up a pair of needles for her and see how she does on her own. :)

Quiara
11-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I know one person I *will* knit for, constantly: my 6 year old nephew, Dylan (or Doodlebritches, as I've called him since he was born). He loves my "sewing." He begged me for a hat and I didn't have much time, so I triple stranded worsted weight acrylic on sz 15 needles and made him a hat in one evening about a year ago. That thing goes EVERYWHERE with him and he tells people, "My aunt Qui made this. For ME." <3

There are people I won't knit for, sure, but I don't waste my energy thinking about them - there are people like Doodle in my life who make it all worthwhile. ^_^

lostchyld
11-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but have any of you knit something for someone who you're pretty sure won't appreciate it as much as you'd like, but the knitting makes you feel closer to them so you do it anyways?

I don't see my sisters often, so I picked out yarn in colors that remind me of them but are also colors that should remind them of me. I'm making scarves for Christmas, and the further I get, the more I realize I don't really care if they like the scarves or not because I needed to make them more than I need for them to be appreciated.

It's a balance, I think. Sometimes you just have to make something for someone to show that you're thinking about them, even if you aren't sure they'll understand or appreciate the gesture.

Songbirdy
11-15-2007, 01:36 AM
I do knit for some one whom... I know will likely not use the gift. That is my nephew. It is because I know how his mother reacts to these kinds of gifts.

But I am sick and tired of seeing nearly every single gift I buy being returned. Even when I do my best to buy the exact thing asked for. Sometimes I refuse to buy a particular brand or at a particular store.

I choose to knit this time because to me... at least the love that I put into my gift will remain in their house this time.

Its a psychological thing... but... there you have it!

miccisue
11-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Not completely off-topic here, just a little side tracked.
It appears that most of the stuff that we as knitters love to give are given because WE know the love that goes into each stitch, and it means so much more to us than going out and grabbing just any old thing.
Is there anyone here who is clever with words that could come up with a little card we could include with our gifts that state that in a more poetic fashion? It might not make the gifts be worn, displayed, or whatever, but it just might make the recipient realize that the gift was made with just them in mind and with a tremendous amount of love.
Something like, "some needles, some yarn, some warm thoughts too; each stitch made with love for someone as special as you"
Yeah, that one stinks, but I'm no poet. Still, with the right words, it might make the little light bulb go off above some people's heads.

SherKnit
11-15-2007, 09:38 AM

I do the same thing. When people ask, I have to say yes. I made a promise to myself in October that I would stop knitting for others for about 3 months and knit ONLY FOR MYSELF....hmmmm....maybe in January. :blush:

I have a few friends that seem to love the stuff I have made them and continue to ask for more items. So for them, I can't say no.

jenlee
11-15-2007, 11:02 AM
In my family at xmas we draw names for presents I got my one sister
that year I decided to make her a booga bag out of noro, I loved it,
I have never seen her use it or has she said anything about. I'd rather she would 've given it back if she didnt want it. Even so, if I get her name again this year I'll probabaly throw a couple washcloths
in maybe she'll use those.But I 'll never make something costly / time consuming again for her. My other sis I would for her bday
I made her a little sock for her ipod nano and she loves it and uses
it her only request was she wishes I put a button ,so maybe Ill make her a new at least she'll appriciate it.

mommydearest
11-15-2007, 11:05 AM
I think your poem sounds great. I am not a poet in any way but I will ask my dd who is awesome with poetry and she what she thinks.

Mary

stitchwitch
11-15-2007, 11:40 AM
How about "I gave my time and my money and lots of love to knit you this gift my special friend. If you don't like it, it's ok, sadness will pass, instead of tossing it stick it up your *ss!". :teehee:

The.Knitter
11-15-2007, 11:44 AM
How about "I gave my time and my money and lots of love to knit you this gift my special friend. If you don't like it, it's ok, sadness will pass, instead of tossing it stick it up your *ss!". :teehee:

don't think that is gonna do! LMAO (although it sure is tempting)

MellieThePooh
11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Stitchwitch...

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard: :rofl:

That's all.

mommydearest
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
OMG!!!! Love that one... still LMAO, although I don't think it's gonna fly...

SnarfyCat
11-16-2007, 02:37 PM

I bet everyone who knits out there will be frantically writing this down so that maybe, just maybe, they will be able to use it. If not use it, it will at least be running through our heads as we smile et hand over our gifts to our MIL that we know will never appreciate what we've done, but at least we are _trying_ to like them!! Thanks for the laugh!

sparkei49
11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I PRETTY MUCH ONLY KNIT FOR THOSE I KNOW WILL APPRECIATE IT. MY NEIGHBORS ARE HUGE PACKER FANS AND THEY ALL WANT SCARVES IN THEIR COLORS. I JUST FINISHED MY THIRD OUT OF FIVE FOR THEM. I'M THRILLED TO DO IT FOR THEM AND WOULDN'T CHARGE THEM A DIME. I'VE GIVEN KNITTED AND CROCHET BABY BLANKETS AT SHOWERS AND FOUND SOME UNDERSTAND THE MEANING WHILE OTHERS DON'T SEE THE VALUE. TO BAD FOR THE ONES THAT DON'T!!!

Arielluria
11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I PRETTY MUCH ONLY KNIT FOR THOSE I KNOW WILL APPRECIATE IT........DON'T SEE THE VALUE. TO BAD FOR THE ONES THAT DON'T!!!My feelings exactly. I'd be thrilled to give a scarf to a total stranger if they appreciated it, but I'll be a fool to make it for a close family member if they don't appreciate hand made things. ;)

tropicallie
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Talk about timing! Halfway through reading this very long thread, I was thinking about the things I've made for people and the reasons why SOME people just won't be the recipients of my talents when I received a call from my step-daughter. Before she left for college, she asked me to make her an afghan for her dorm room. She wanted me to know that every night she snuggles under the afghan I made her. Sweet, huh?
Prior to that call, I was remembering how my feelings about giving handmade items changed this year. It started with my MIL actually. She was admiring an afghan I had made years ago for my husband so I offered to make her one. She immediately politely declined. I took this to mean she was just really giving lip service to my afghan and didn't think it was all that great. Fast forward a couple months. She was planning a cruise to Alaska and mentioned that she needed to buy some warm items to wear. DH suggested she have ME make her some sweaters. MIL then started gushing about how she would LOVE that and saying how she LOVES that blue sweater I made and when could we go shopping for yarn. I was stunned. I just sat there like I was at a tennis match watching DH and his mother talking about various tops and sweaters I'd made and which styles she liked. I ended up making her 4 or 5 sweaters (machine knitted) and heard her recently tell a good friend of hers that I had supplied her entire wardrobe for her cruise. THEN I learned that the reason she did not want me to make her an afghan is that she is always hot in the house and doesn't even have blankets on her bed in the winter. My feelings would have been hurt had I just gone ahead and made her an afghan without asking and never saw it in use. I would have mistaken it for a personal slight.
Fast forward another couple months. I have a long history of giving unappreciated gifts to my sisters. I THOUGHT it was because they were hand made. I was showing my oldest sister a sweater I had just completed. It is a gorgeous (if I do say so myself) cotton cable and lace sweater. She grabbed it and asked if she could have it! I said no, it was 2 sizes too big for her but that I would gladly make her one. We went out that day and she picked out the yarn - a color I would have NEVER chose for her, BTW. This was also a machine knitted item so it was finished in just a couple days. When I presented the finished item, she started grabbing things out of her closet that she could wear with it. Once again, had I just made her the sweater, it probably would have been in a color she didn't like or/and didn't have anything in her closet to match. She is THRILLED with the sweater and assures me it's getting a lot of use and compliments.
So. In the future, I will only make things for those that express an interest and make them pick out the yarn. I'm obviously really bad at picking out things for other people.
Except for DH. He and I are the only ones I will actually spend the time to hand knit anything and he thinks everything I make him is just fabulous.

aineepooh1
11-21-2007, 09:42 PM
I knit and crochet for people who ASK me to make them something... I usually will get around to it for them depending on how hectic my life is:thumbsup: ... I DETEST people who DEMAND I make them something.... :noway: I look at them like ... are you CRAZY????? didn't your momma ever teach you how to say PLEASE~! and yes it REALLY happens.. .people DO demand that you make them something~:passedout:

Cougar1
11-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I've been sitting here reading this whole loooong thread...I've had dealings with people along these same lines, and not just with knitted items. I was raised up under Please and Thank You and that is how I raised my four sons. For some reason it seems that my oldest son has not deemed it necessary to raise his two girls the same way...two years in a row I sent them Christmas gifts (the first one handmade, the second I bought), and neither time did I ever hear whether they liked them, thank you for this gift, nothing...so last year I sent nothing. If after two years they can't acknowledge a gift or say thanks for it, they obviously don't need anything from me. I make things for my second and third son's kids, and always get a prompt thank you from them. I don't have time for rude people, related or not. I made a shawl for my best girlfriend that I hardly ever get to see anymore (we have both moved and are 3 hours apart...I told her how much she was missed and when she was feeling lonely and needed a hug, to wrap herself in this "hug" I made for her...she just loved it. She will be getting more things made from me.

Miccisue, I liked your poem...I did tweek it just a tad...
Took some needles,
then took some yarn,
and added some warm thoughts too.
Each stitch of this was made with love
for someone as special as you"

Hope you don't mind. ~Tricia

The.Knitter
11-21-2007, 10:58 PM
That's a good poem Cougar1, can we use it? Are you going to copyright it? Will it blow up upon delivery to an unappreciative recipient?

Actually all joking aside, this is a really nice poem. I think I'd like to put that on the little cards that my sister is making for me to put in with my knitted gifts. Thanks!

Indygirl
11-21-2007, 11:02 PM
She looks like a doll! The dress is just beautiful.

The.Knitter
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
She looks like a doll! The dress is just beautiful.

Is that my DGD you are talking about? If so thanks so much. The "dress" did look wonderful on her, or so I thought.

:aww:

Indygirl
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Is that my DGD you are talking about? If so thanks so much. The "dress" did look wonderful on her, or so I thought.

:aww:
Yes, I was talking about your DGD. I think the only reason anyone would not love that dress on her is jealousy. Your work is excellent.

mommydearest
11-21-2007, 11:28 PM
I've been sitting here reading this whole loooong thread...I've had dealings with people along these same lines, and not just with knitted items. I was raised up under Please and Thank You and that is how I raised my four sons. For some reason it seems that my oldest son has not deemed it necessary to raise his two girls the same way...two years in a row I sent them Christmas gifts (the first one handmade, the second I bought), and neither time did I ever hear whether they liked them, thank you for this gift, nothing...so last year I sent nothing. If after two years they can't acknowledge a gift or say thanks for it, they obviously don't need anything from me. I make things for my second and third son's kids, and always get a prompt thank you from them. I don't have time for rude people, related or not. I made a shawl for my best girlfriend that I hardly ever get to see anymore (we have both moved and are 3 hours apart...I told her how much she was missed and when she was feeling lonely and needed a hug, to wrap herself in this "hug" I made for her...she just loved it. She will be getting more things made from me.

Took some needles,
then took some yarn,

I like the poem too.

Thank you

The.Knitter
11-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Yes, I was talking about your DGD. I think the only reason anyone would not love that dress on her is jealousy. Your work is excellent.

Thank you so very much. You have restored a bit of my faith in my judgement and my skills. I had begun to wonder what was wrong with the "little lace dress", or better yet, what I had done wrong with "the little lace dress". It was the colour she asked for, it was a "not too fussy pattern", just like she wanted, and it DID work up nicely. I was flummoxed about the whole thing. Perhaps you may be right. She has no inclination to knit, although she did try it once upon a time for about ohhhh 2 hours. She actually made me a scarf, which I still have, and I wear it each time I see her in the cold weather, just to prove to her that it meant more to me that she made it than I cared about the little personalities within the scarf. She continually says to me "what are you doing today, as if I have to guess?"

I've had people say "she looks just like you when you were young, she sounds like you when you were young, but she IS SURE NOT YOU when you were young or otherwise." Did that woman come from me?

OK my rant is over now and I thank you so much for the compliments over "that little lace dress". In fact I thank all the people who were kind enough to compliment my work, either on here or in a PM. It is very much appreciated!

:hug:

eladine
11-22-2007, 12:10 PM
It can be a bit sad can't it... I'm "off on one" over christmas this year - It's all got so commercialised.

I knitted an afghan for my sister/neice when my neice was born. My sister loved it, and used to curl up under it when my neice eventually went down for naps when she was first born. However, Since then, I'm not sure it's seen light of day - and, i'm sure, it's because she doesn't want it to get damaged/dirty... bless her, I must have a word with her and let her know I made it for her to use it!!!!

My Nanna taught me to crochet, and so whenever I crochet something, I'm invariably thinking of the person the item is for, or, thinking about the good times with my Nanna, remembering watching her crochet, and the times we'd be sat doing it together.

It's the very same with knitting - the hours I spent watching my Gran knit whilst staying with her on holiday... and when she came to visit, I used to desperately hope she'd brought it with her, so i could watch her knit!!!

My beloved is desperately after a scarf... I've had so many hints dropped I can't move for them. He's on a course all next week, so I will be a frantic-knitter with sparks a flying trying to get it done whilst he's away - big surprise!

Having said that... I've recently comleted a "supposedly" 6 hour throw for my mum... all worked in stocking stitch and you guess it - it's turned into a rolypoly sausage type thing! I thing it's going to get frogged and "tweaked" slightly!! Even if I didn't, I think mum would love it whatever shape it was in.

I still have in my coat pocket some blue fingerless gloves my gran knitted for me about 4 years or so ago. I was working in a freezing cold "office" with no central heating, and my hands used to get frozen. I happened to mention this to her in a telephone call, and lo and behold, about a week later a little parcel turned up for me- with these gloves in!!! I wore them constantly.. and still do!

I have an aran knitted hat (actually, I think I ended up with two for some reason...) that she also knitted me, and one or two other bits knocking around that she made.

I love these things, and even more so now. Nanna died about 12 or so years ago, and Gran died a couple of years ago, and wearing these things now remind me of her, and watching her knit for hours and hours on end whilst staying on holidays, and - as a bonus, it feels like I get a hug from her whilst wearing them!

On a side note - I have to say that I have tried knitting on and off over the years, but it's only since Gran died, that I've actually had any success at it. Maybe that was her parting gift to me? I like to think so. :)

Love ya Gran!

PS - My sister wrote a poem for my Gran, it's a really really good word picture of her, and makes me either cry or start manically smiling each time I read it! Its on my blog (http://www.diary.pipkinliveshere.com/?page_id=26), as a tribute to both my sis and my gran.

Abbily
11-22-2007, 12:46 PM
On a side note - I have to say that I have tried knitting on and off over the years, but it's only since Gran died, that I've actually had any success at it. Maybe that was her parting gift to me? I like to think so. :)

My grandma taught me to knit ages ago, but I didn't really start knitting for real until January when she was diagnosed with kidney disease and given a few months to live. I would sit with her and knit, even though she couldn't knit anymore at that point. She passed away in June, but I think she's still near me, helping me with my knitting. :)

sorantes123
11-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Eladine, thank you for including your blog site. The poem(s) were inspiring and wonderful, sad and just every emotion imaginable! What cherished memories from those that real poetry flows! Thank you again.

eladine
11-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow... Thank you Sharon :aww:

I always consider myself to just muck about with words as and when the mood takes me, I'm glad you appreciated the sentiment behind them.

But as your tome implied... "What cherished memories from those that real poetry flows!" When I am writing, the words do just flow.

But it's really nice to know that someone else appreciates the sentiments.

#goes away with a warm fuzzy glow...#

Avinony
11-22-2007, 06:01 PM
(you should have seen how livid he was when some of the christmas ornaments i'd made got ruined or when the cats peed on the front of that harry potter sweater i'd done!)

Wow... I'd be pretty mad at that too. I only started knitting in late July early August so I'm a REAL newbie here. I'm still too terrified to do a sweater as I have no one to sit there and guide me and correct me when I'm wrong. And especially a super special Weasley Sweater?! The cat would be chased around the house a couple of times. ^_^

Being so new to it though, I don't really have a no knit list. I can generally tell who will like my presents. I've had a few friends request stuff specifically. We're all in college and I find it so amusing that everybody gets so excited when they find out that I'm teaching myself to knit. You just don't expect such enthusiasm for it in our age group. They all want hats and gloves and stuff. I actually haven't had any time to knit anything for myself yet.

I guess that kind of makes it easier for me though, because we're goofy college kids I can pretty much choose patterns they'll like based on how goofy they are. There is this wonderful hat I found that is done like an old fashioned nightcap and it just keeps going and going and going and it has this obnoxious tassle on the end. They call it a Hat-scarf. And it just looks so silly, I have to knit it for my best friend. She will absolutely adore it. Maybe I'll do it in stripes. YES! ^_^

I don't think I'll knit clothing for my Granny just because she's so sweet that she would wear it even if she didn't like it and I just don't want to do that to her. Haha. But I think she would love a nice soft Afghan. I should knit her one soon.

I can understand the people who just don't understand how much labor there is in knitting. I figured when I picked up knitting that it would be a breeze, just follow the instructions. And I guess in a way it is, but you mess up so much along the way and fixing those mistakes is what is hardest for me. Not to mention counting stitches (I'm dyscalculaic, which is dyslexia w/ numbers). I never thought it would really be easy, but I never imagined it would be this hard.

But the straight up rudeness that so many of you have mentioned. I hope I never mistake anyone like that and make them something. *shakes head*

This is kinda random, but I was afraid when I started knitting that people would think I was doing it just as a female thing. Like, falling into the feminine mystique, but after learning, it is so hard, I will have plenty of ammo for anyone who ever tries to tell me that it's "woman's work." So far, people are very understanding though that it is a very creative and cathartic activity. But yeah, that relates I guess because I was afraid people would react to my work that way instead of positively.

hainangel2000
11-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I started the tradition in our family to knit "gowns" when a baby girl is born. The gowns are usually awed over and people have gotten excited knowing when they were having a baby girl they would get a gown. Mind you a gown is suppose to be larger because its suppost to be long not short like a dress. (like a christening gown). Anyway I go to make a gown for my baby sister who was having a baby girl. I spent lots of money on this yarn and the gown turned out so beautiful I must say! Wish I took pictures it was heirloom quility. Anyway she didn't get the concept of gown versus dress so didn't have her daughter put it on until she was way older. :?? I tried to explain the purpose of the longer gown on it but nope she didn't get it!! If I knew she was needed a dress I would have changed it huh?

One other time that happened but the gown ended up being used in a wedding and was awed over!!! So I guess that was ok. Its just trying to explain it to someone who doesn't "get it" is hard. I agree with the other posters who say do not give a gift unless they ask for it. One time I gave a toy I had made to a nephew of mine and he ended up using it like a weapon to beat his cousins with lolol ;) Sometimes its better to just NOT... :teehee:

Point of why I brought that up is the gown had a newborn bodice top, so won't fit an older baby or child.

Mary

miccisue
11-23-2007, 09:20 PM

Took some needles,
then took some yarn,

Absolutely I don't mind - I know I'm not a poet. (But if you do copyright it, send me some royalties, OK?:teehee: )

Quiltlady
11-24-2007, 02:52 AM
This xmas I'm knitting a pretty scarf for my dd's step daugther who is 12. My dd told me that she likes the color orange. I bought a pretty shade of pumpkin orange and it's a very soft yarn. I found an easy yet pretty pattern and I'm busy knitting a scarf. I can only hope she will like it.
I also quilt and I recently gave my brand new grandson (4 days old) a quilt. This same girl was in the room when I gave him the quilt. So I asked her if she'd like a quilt of her own? She doesn't show much emotion but she said "yes". So I took her into my sewing room and I showed her three quilt tops and had her choose one. She chose a floral flannel quilt. So now I am working on the batting and the backing and will give it to her for xmas. I didn't want her to feel left out since my gd who is 4yrs. old also has a quilt from me.:hug:

redwitch
11-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Avinony, being difficult doesn't exclude a task from being women's work! (you could say that stereotypical women's work is harder... 'men's work' usually requires more strength which men are born with, 'women's work' requires brains which you have to work at! but I won't, because that's just negative stereotyping of men and women hate when men do it to us...) I can't believe there are people out there who think that female knitters are repressing women by their knitting!

laikabear
11-24-2007, 11:39 AM
This thread just seems to go on and onandon... I have been working on a baby blanket for my ex-husband's new baby (he and I are still friends) and now I am so stressed about it I think I'm going to just get them a store-bought gift and give the blanket to my dogs!!! :hair:

I wanted to make them something because I wanted it to be really special but now I am paranoid they will think it is dumb or ugly and I will be crushed as it's taking me a long time to make. I think a visit to Baby Gap is in order... :out:

mommydearest
11-24-2007, 11:53 AM
This thread just seems to go on and onandon... I have been working on a baby blanket for my ex-husband's new baby (he and I are still friends) and now I am so stressed about it I think I'm going to just get them a store-bought gift and give the blanket to my dogs!!! :hair:

I wanted to make them something because I wanted it to be really special but now I am paranoid they will think it is dumb or ugly and I will be crushed as it's taking me a long time to make. I think a visit to Baby Gap is in order... :out:
I think you should give the knitted gift (in my opinion). Did you knit when you were married? If so, I think he will appreciate the thought and effort you put into it, especially since you are still friends.

Mary

hainangel2000
11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Maureen, I am not sure about you, but when I made handmade knitted afghans they were always loved at a baby shower! I think you should give the afghan! :) You can always buy an extra gift for just in case lol but I think your afghan will also be great!!!

kitkat
11-25-2007, 10:18 AM
My step mom. Never ever again.

She is notorious for not understanding the value of hand-made items - although her mother was truly a master of the needle arts.

A few years ago, she asked me to make a queen size quilt for our cottage. Told me roses and blues. I bought all the fabric, washed and ironed it (i no longer do that, btws), and then showed her. NO NO NO she had changed her mind. She wanted aquas, turqouise and green. OK. Went through the same drill, except this time I went so far to actually CUT the fabric. Next thing I know she had purchased a bed in the bag and was so proud of it. I was like - what do you want me to do with all this stuff? I had spent well over $200 and countless hours. As you can still I am still not over it.

Knitting wise - I made her a few scarves - but never saw them. Last year she saw Kyle's clogs and was like eeeew don't bother to make me a pair of those. I very sweetly said DON'T WORRY! I won't!

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Oh, I agree with the others-- give the new baby his/her blankie.. the baby will love it. It was knitted w/ love... and be proud of your handiwork.

KnittingNat
11-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Today I've added another person i won't knit for anymore! A co-worker and his wife had a baby girl 3 months ago. So before the date i knit this lovely babysack (you can see it through my signature) and recently added booties to the gift. It was all given on a party they threw for the baby last Thursday. So today he comes in and says "Thanks everyone for your gifts, I'll put a general thank you note on the board to everyone in the office". Man, he knew i was knitting especially for his baby. Did his wife hate it that much? I don't have money now to throw as a party gift (it was done in an expensive reataurant as private event), but do people have to be so rude???
On the other hand, another co-worker appreciates my work so much, every time i bring her something she's so excited. Well, she's a crocheter, so she knows what goes into it :teehee:

Firey Vixxen
11-27-2007, 12:33 AM
My mom was on my do not receive list, but she has grovelled so nicely she's getting a second chance.
The gift that got her is trouble was a lavender bag. she said that she needed to get one at the next school fete and I had just seen and orchid pattern in a cross stitch and was wondering what I could put it on for her (Orchids are her favourites), so I was certain It was going to be well recieved. I was sewing at school and at home when mom was out and the rest of the family could see what a big effort was going into it and into keeping it a secret.
Xmas day comes. she opens the present.
"what is it?"
Then,
"Why does it have a fat lady on it? Are you trying to say I'm fat?"
although she did get the idea when I burst into tears and even Dad and my Brothers ripped into her.
However, my sister is on my Knitting vengance List. she a "look at me, aren't I wonderful" knitter rather than "I made this especially for you" knitter. Too short scarves (and we're talking about by a foot or so) teeny weany handbags with short straps (This girl goes shopping with me. I like bigger bags and ALWAYS long straps for over my shoulder). The Icing was when she asked me if I wanted her to make me anything. "Ok. maybe a scarf." We go to our LYS and I find some nice wool. "Oh, no I'm not paying for that. it's far too expensive."
THREE
NINTY
NINE
$3.99
TWO BALLS.
A GRAND TOTAL OF $7.98.
I told her, you know what, don't bother. so when any of my experiments haven't quiet got the kinks worked out, guess who's going to be on the receiving end.
FV