PDA

View Full Version : Knit right to left

LuLandymore
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey again!

As I've said in another post, ive just finished first project a headband. One small question I have, I knit the rows from left needle to right needle and then swapped the needles over so knitting was back in left hand. Surely i cant et away with this on all knitting projects???

What do i need to learn now?

sinistral_needler
11-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Knitting right to left - isn't that continental knitting? That's the way I do it and personally, there's nothing wrong with it! :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

LuLandymore
11-07-2007, 12:58 PM
not sure what type of knitting it is, i just presumed it was right handed knitting as the work is done with right hand all the time. But if you keep swapping the needles, wont it ruin some patterns the ave a back and a front?

sinistral_needler
11-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, no because there are "wrong side" rows (the back) and the "right side" rows (the front) that are created when you knit back and forth. Odd rows tend to be the wrong sides and even rows tend to be the right sides. Does this make sense?

LuLandymore
11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
How much would you hate me if I said "no"?

sinistral_needler
11-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't hate you at all, silly! What's confusing you?

CountryKitty
11-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Early on in my knitting, I would knit from left to right, and then from right to left again. This kept the front of the work before me at all times (which make a couple of patterns easier to follow), but I quickly learned that my right to left stitches weren't quite the same as my left to rights. It left a less-smooth appearance to my knitting than I liked so as I became better at pattern knitting I began to turn the work again. Of course, had I continued to do it that way the stitches likely would've become smoother in time.

If your stitches look the same both ways, and you're comfortable working right to left and can interpret the charts and directions sithout too much trouble, there's really no reason to change. This is YOUR art, YOUR leisure...perform/enjoy it in whatever way pleases YOU.

NancyO
11-07-2007, 06:30 PM
The purling stitch is usually done on the wrong side or the odd rows if stocking stitch (American Stockinette) is desired. Purling from the right needle to the left sounds painful to me.

Generally most knitting is done from the left needle to the right. Actually knitting from the right needle to left is 'left hand knitting' which is legal of course... anything you want, like another poster says you get to do!

But generally yes... MOST knitting is done taking stitches off the left needle and putting the new ones on the right.

Nancy

suzeeq
11-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Lu, you might want to take a look at some of the basic knit and purl videos here, both continental and english version and see which is most like the way you knit. I think you just knit regular as most of us have the full needle on the left and work the sts over to the right one. What makes it english/continental is if you hold your yarn in your left or right hand and it doesn't matter which way you do as long as the piece gets knitted up.

Becky Morgan
11-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Work to be done in left hand, empty needle in right at beginning of row, right-handed knitting. Work to be done in right hand, empty needle in left at beginning of row, left handed knitting. Back and forth, no problem as long as your stitches are straight (I started like that because I couldn't purl!) However, probably 99 percent of work is the swap-hands-and-go-on method. How you get the yarn around the needle decided the English/Continental/combined/some other way entirely question. If you don't twist your stitches without meaning to, it doesn't matter if you knit standing on your head and holding the yarn in your toes:D

Do whatever makes you and the pattern happy.

redwitch
11-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Some people like to learn to knit from a full needle in the right hand to an empty needle on the left for short rows, or entrelac, or working a narrow piece - like a belt - if it has only 5 stitches, turning every row gets to be a pain in the arse.
If you are looking for a new technique, check out knitting in the round perhaps?

But the way you are knitting is the way it is normally done.

Sarah