PDA

View Full Version : Raved about yarns that you don't "get"?

boo1
11-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Just wondering when you're buying higher end yarns, what are some that you've bought and just really disliked and why?

:knitting:

Mulderknitter
11-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Mohair. Anything with Mohair. it gets everywhere, up your nose, your clothes, everywhere. Its a wonder there's any left on the yarn itself.:??

lelvsdgs
11-07-2007, 03:04 PM
That's good to know as I've been thinking of buying some for a project and all that shedding would irritate the bejesus out of the planned recipient...:muah:

holamiis
11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Plus, in my experience, its almost impossible to frog a mistake when using mohair. I'll never use it again, simply because I am too much of a novice to deal with the hassle. I'm trying to convince myself to finish a project using Colinette mohair lace, its so pretty and I know it'll be worth when I'm finished....if I ever finish it!

dreamsherl
11-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Mohair. Anything with Mohair. it gets everywhere, up your nose, your clothes, everywhere. Its a wonder there's any left on the yarn itself.:??

I have to agree with you about the mohair. I used it once to make the center squared hat from Knitty. I'll never use mohair again.:fingerwag:

msmelody
11-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I made my MIL a hat with cashmerino, and hated every minute it took me to knit the hat. The yarn split almost with every stitch. It looks pretty and very soft, but I will never knit with it again, in fact, trying to figure out what to do with the little bit I have left.

SabrinaJL
11-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Noro Kureyon. I'd heard people going on and on about this yarn and was excited to check it out when I went to a good yarn store for the first time. It's horribly rough and scratchy. I can't imagine using it for anything other than felting.

Jan in CA
11-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Agreed on the mohair and Noro Kureyon. I find them both itchy! The Noro has such beautiful colorways, but I'd only use it for felting.

lauraknits
11-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Noro Silk Garden. I bought some after hearing rave reviews about the colors. Mine are ok but I am not terribly moved. It is rough to the touch and has lots of veggie matter!

Indygirl
11-07-2007, 07:05 PM
I love the feel of malabingo BUT, I find that it does fuzz some when you get it knitted up. I have about 14 or 15 sk's. I will not be buying anymore of it. I'm not sure just what I will do with the stash I have of it :shrug:

cando
11-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I love the feel of malabingo BUT, I find that it does fuzz some when you get it knitted up. I have about 14 or 15 sk's. I will not be buying anymore of it. I'm not sure just what I will do with the stash I have of it :shrug:

Ditto the Malabrigo. Luckily I just bought enough for a scarf and hat. I've found most soft single ply wool is a bit fuzzy. I just got some from 100purewool and I can't say I'm crazy about it. The 3-ply would be much better and just as soft I think. Mohair, Angora, brushed suri all fuzzy fuzzy.

Mulderknitter
11-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Ditto the Malabrigo. Luckily I just bought enough for a scarf and hat. I've found most soft single ply wool is a bit fuzzy. I just got some from 100purewool and I can't say I'm crazy about it. The 3-ply would be much better and just as soft I think. Mohair, Angora, brushed suri all fuzzy fuzzy.
:flirt: I just so happen to LOVE malabrigo. :poke: any donations my way would be appreciated:waving:

MAmaDawn
11-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Thank you all so much.... I know I'll be back here later...

madametj
11-07-2007, 08:32 PM

Hi there Indygirl:waving: . I tried to pm you but it didn't work. anyway, wanted to let you know that I am willing to buy some of that malabrigo from you if you are willing to sell at a reduce price (or you could just give it to me, but i really doubt that:teehee: )

dip's mom
11-07-2007, 08:53 PM
rowan's kid silk haze -- a beautiful and so soft mohair and silk blend that I absolutely can not knit with. I started 4 different projects (2 different shawls and 2 different scarves) with some I got on sale and messed it up each time. I am so disappointed but I will try again some time.

BinkyKat
11-07-2007, 10:22 PM
has lots of veggie matter!

:roflhard:
That's a perfect description! Mind if I use that? :teehee:
I find some bamboo yarns too splitty. I have some black bamboo I used for the Lacy Thong I made for my mom for mother's day (yes, you read that right). I "like" the yarn, but it's like knitting with many loosely bound sewing threads. It needs more twist!

boo1
11-07-2007, 11:44 PM
I made my MIL a hat with cashmerino, and hated every minute it took me to knit the hat. The yarn split almost with every stitch.

I was using this one tonight, trying to make a scarf using a ladder stitch. The stitch was easy but it looked AWFUL when it split because it was really, really obvious on the dropped loops! I don't know what I'm going to do with it, guess I'll put it away for a while.

simplethings
11-08-2007, 01:07 AM
I have a love and hate relationship with 100% pure alpaca. Currently, the main culprit in my stash is Misti Alpaca Chunky. It's like touching a cloud and the colors are quite vibrant but it sheds EVERYWHERE. After knitting it up it seems it's holding together much better, but, the actual knitting left me with fibers in my mouth and nose and all over my clothes.

I'm also interested in helping take some of that Malabrigo off your hands. ;)

cando
11-08-2007, 11:36 AM
LOL I wish I could help, but the stuff I bought for a scarf and hat was knit up last winter and the rest of the skeins I sold on KH couple months ago (color was not what I expected).
It's a nice yarn, no doubt, I guess I just don't "get" what y'all are raving about :)
:flirt: I just so happen to LOVE malabrigo. :poke: any donations my way would be appreciated:waving:

hocns
11-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Love Noro and mohair, and I've knit miles of both. The only time I had issues with mohair was when I tried to wind a huge 500 g skein into 1 ball at one sitting. It took ages, and it got in everywhere...nose, mouth, eyes. I've since bought a swift and a huge ball winder.

The only yarn I've knit with recently that I loathed was some handspun hemp, spun by me. Every stitch was a misery.

Indygirl
11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi there Indygirl:waving: . I tried to pm you but it didn't work. anyway, wanted to let you know that I am willing to buy some of that malabrigo from you if you are willing to sell at a reduce price (or you could just give it to me, but i really doubt that:teehee: )
I have PM'ed you about the malabingo yarn.

MMario
11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
fret,fret,worry,worry,fret.

I must be doing something horribly wrong - I have made entire afghans of KidSilk Haze - and no problems with shedding or anything - and while I don't tink a lot I did have to tink and with no problems.

Ditto with sevral differnet alpaca and alpaca blends.

What am I doing wrong?

mdog182
11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
i agree with the noro kureyon statements.....it's weird to be knitting and finding pieces of straw/grass?? i don't know what it was, but it was weird. i did like the colorway that i chose but it is pretty rough/itchy.
i couldn't agree less with the cashmerino statements though!! i LOVE the stuff....i would sleep in a pile of it if i could afford it.

dustinac
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Mohair drives me crazy...and like stated below it is awful to try and frog...

I was disappointed in Lorna's Laces though...I had heard nothing but good about it and when I finally got my hands on it...I just couldn't see what the big deal was about :shrug:

I was able to get my hands on 100% Cashmere for a test knit and it was awesome!! :passedout:

Plantgoddess+
11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I wasn't fond of working with 100% angora. It is incredibly soft, but it sheds horribly. I still have a sweater I made with it and after a decade of wearing it still sheds. I feel like Pigpen in the Peanuts cartoon.

boo1
11-08-2007, 10:32 PM
I wasn't fond of working with 100% angora. It is incredibly soft, but it sheds horribly. I still have a sweater I made with it and after a decade of wearing it still sheds. I feel like Pigpen in the Peanuts cartoon.

:rofl:

Carla1019
11-09-2007, 01:36 PM
I am knitting a pair of fingerless gloves with the Noro,, I love the color but you are right about the rough/itchy plus finding a surprises. Does any one know if it gets soft after you wash it?
Plus if I pull to tight it will break.

Mulderknitter
11-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Noro felts if you wash it. I am not sure about handwashing in cold though??:??

Carla1019
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I can't find the tag that when with my Noro but it doesn't feel like wool.. But you are telling me that it will felt?

trollgirl
11-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I absolutely agree about the Noro! Everyone seems to like Noro so I was absolutely shocked when I laid hands on Kureyon for the first time at a LYS. I found it coarse and scratchy. I'd liken it to an S.O.S. pad, but maybe that's judging it a little harshly.

I don't like the colourways either. There are just too many colours in one ball for me.

Lorna's Laces I can't make up my mind about. I saw some of the Lorna's Laces sock yarn at the store and it was so beautiful and felt so soft but I looked at the price tag and was like :help: . Maybe one day I will allow myself to splurge but right now I'm sticking with Knit Picks.

hocns
11-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Re Noro and twigs: Noro Kureyon is made from wool, which comes from sheep, who eat grass, etc. I often find grass and twig in different wool yarns, it just means that they haven't been processed to death, and I don't usually have a problem with them.

Sunny_Singer
11-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I have never bought or owned any of these "natural" fibers listed. Thanks for the tips.

I think from reading posts that mohair would frustrate me very quickly.

Sunny