PDA

View Full Version : Christmas List

MAmaDawn
11-07-2007, 11:06 PM
So dh asked today what Knitting stuff I wanted for Christmas... and I have 2 questions for you all...

Do any of you belong to the yarn of the month club? The one that send 4 types of yarn to make a swatch and see if you like...

And what all does EZ's DVDs cover? I'm just wondering how much it will help me.

Thanks so much...

Ingrid
11-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I do belong to the yarn of the month club. Each month you get 4 little baggies of yarn of different types. I swatched a bunch of them one weekend, and it was fun to play with all the yarns, and found a few that I ended up buying.

I haven't seen the EZ DVD's, but I believe they are of her knitting show from the 60's or so.

Do you already have the Options needle set from KnitPicks? Can't pass up that opportunity if you don't.

Ballwinder and swift?

blocking board?

gift certificates?:lol:

MAmaDawn
11-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't have a LYS to go to that's close enough that I can go often, so I thought that getting the different yarn would be good cuz I don't like buying yarn without knowing how it feels first. So I've just gotten stuff at Walmart, Michaels, and AC Moore.

I ball all my yarn (too many bad skeins) and I've gotten quick (thanks to Amy's GREAT video), does a ball winder really help? And does a swift get small? Are there some that fold up. There are 5 of us (with the kids) in a 2 bedroom single wide trailer right now, so space is VERY limited.

I did tell him a bigger blocking board (I can easier put that in my closet).

Oh and I have the Boye NeedleMaster set and I LOVE them. But hey I could always use more cables... of course that just means I can have more WIP.... :teehee:

But I did go to Knit Picks and show him some stuff there (other than yarn) that I want.

Thanks so much Ingrid!!!!

The.Knitter
11-08-2007, 01:07 AM
I do belong to the yarn of the month club. Each month you get 4 little baggies of yarn of different types. I swatched a bunch of them one weekend, and it was fun to play with all the yarns, and found a few that I ended up buying.

I haven't seen the EZ DVD's, but I believe they are of her knitting show from the 60's or so.

Do you already have the Options needle set from KnitPicks? Can't pass up that opportunity if you don't.

Ballwinder and swift?

blocking board?

gift certificates?:lol:

Ok, so what is a ball winder and swift? Does that mean I would not have to sit on a straight chair with a plastic bag hung over one of the top posts and pull and wind at the same time? Please, do tell BEFORE my arm falls off from winding!!!

Duckling326
11-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I belong to the Yarn of the Month club at my LYS. She hand dyes DK weight wool at 250 a skein. Enough to make one pair of socks. I love her yarn! They make great socks!

The.Knitter
11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Ok, so what is a ball winder and swift? Does that mean I would not have to sit on a straight chair with a plastic bag hung over one of the top posts and pull and wind at the same time? Please, do tell BEFORE my arm falls off from winding!!!

Can anyone tell me please what a ball winder and a swift are?

Ingrid
11-08-2007, 03:55 PM
A swift is a device that holds the hanks of yarn. The top part expands to accommodate different size hanks, and as you pull the yarn, it spins.

A ball winder winds the yarn into a center-pull cylinder--I can't really say ball, because it's flat at the top and bottom.

I have a swift that clamps on the table and collapses down to the size of a closed umbrella.

Here is a picture.

The.Knitter
11-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks so much for the information. This might be just the thing I need for making balls of yarn, so that my arm does not fall off from winding, and winding, and winding, and winding, and winding.................

cindygster
11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Do any of you belong to the yarn of the month club? The one that send 4 types of yarn to make a swatch and see if you like...

I DO NOW!!!!!
:muah: :cheering: :muah: :cheering: :muah: :cheering: :muah:

I had no idea that such a wonderful club existed!!! I just signed up for it. Told my boyf and now he's convinced that my knitting addiction has reached new levels of scariness. Lol!!!

The.Knitter
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Cindygster:

Tell the BF that you have "only just begun".

Happy Knitting!

MAmaDawn
11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
OK so I have another question...

I want to get stitch pattern books too.. they might be fore my bday, but it's in Jan so he usually just gets them with Christmas presents...

What book(s) would you recommend for cable stitch patterns and lace/ eyelet stitch patterns?

Thanks so much

Oh and I told him about the swift and ball winder too.

The.Knitter
11-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I was given a knitting book one year for my birthday. It is called "The Knitting Stitch Bible". It has, and I quote "over 250 traditional and comtemporary stitches, photographed with easy to follow charts. It is written by Maria Parry-Jones. It is great. I have used it quite a lot.