PDA

View Full Version : Adusting sizes

becca081905
11-08-2007, 11:59 AM
I have the book Big Girl Knit. I must have jump right to the pattern and totally over look the being of the book. Where it helps you fit a pattern to your body type. I think it is all the information I need. We'll see soon I hope. If anyone has any other resources or trick or tips please let me know. Thanks so much to the one who have given there suggestions.
:rofl:
Help anyone! I am a big girl who wants to knit a sweater but I am not sure how to adjust the pattern to my sexy size.
I'm new to knitting and don't know everything. Heck, I am scared to death to knit a sock or a cable. They look totally beyond what I could do.
Anyway, I do want to try and knit a sweater but I don't want to be disappointed in the end. So any help would be greatly appreciate.

astonh
11-08-2007, 12:05 PM
There are several sweater patterns that include "sexy sizes". To my knowledge, it has only been somewhat recently that designers are including these larger sizes on their patterns but I'd be happy to go through my bookmarks and find some of the links for you, if interested.

If, however, you have already selected a pattern and need to resize that one... boy, I am currently having the same issue but the other direction. Found a sweater I want to knit for my son but it is way too big. I wish I could advise you on how to do this. I know there are many posts on the "math" to make this happen, but, well... I SUCK at math.

Best wishes to you.. Oh, and don't feel alone. Cables and socks are "beyond" me at this time as well... although I'm getting itchy to attempt socks....a SMALL pair for one of my kids. LOL.

debb
11-08-2007, 12:30 PM
check out the book 'big girl knits' - there's lots of info & patterns in there. and as astonh said, there are quite a few patterns out there. knitty.com usually has a good range of sizes on their offerings.

also, by knitting outside of gauge you can get a larger size without adjusting the pattern.

suzeeq
11-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Yes, if you use needles a couple sizes larger, knit the biggest size in the pattern, you'll get a larger size.

becca081905
11-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Sue,
There is this sweater pattern that is so cute. The largest size it has is 38" and uses 10 and 10.5 needles. I would almost I guess have to double that size. So what needle would I have to use.
Wonder how designers do there sizing?

becca081905
11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Debb,
I don't understand what you mean about knitting outside the gauge. I have the Big Girls Knits book and it just seems to have pattern and talk about what would be the best style for certain bodies. They have a few good pattern but yet I don't fit in that size. I am just a little large than that.

suzeeq
11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Sue,
There is this sweater pattern that is so cute. The largest size it has is 38" and uses 10 and 10.5 needles. I would almost I guess have to double that size. So what needle would I have to use.
Wonder how designers do there sizing?

Okay, you're going to have to do a couple things, doubling the needle size won't work. You can try the yarn with size 11s and see what gauge you get, sts/inch, that could work. Then know how large you need the sweater to be, and multiple that measurement by your sts/inch. Next look at the st increments between sizes - say the difference between 38 and the next smaller size is 12 sts, (total of front and back) you'll figure how many increments you go up to get to the measurement you need. Use that method wherever the pattern has st numbers at various points - the sleeves, across the back or front or around the neck.

Oh yeah.... I think deb meant use larger needles to get a larger gauge and that will be `outside' the gauge given for the pattern.

becca081905
11-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all your help.

debb
11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
yes, listen to sue - she has much more info and experience than I'll ever have.

suzeeq
11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Oh, I'm sure you'll get there, too....

The reason I have a lot of experience in changing patterns is because I will not use small needles, so I've learned to adapt patterns to the needle size I want to use.

debb
11-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh I like the way you think. I'm such a slow knitter, I try to stay at size 8 needles or larger.