PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrrr......

cindygster
11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I hate yarn vomit!!! I have no question...just needed to vent. Started a new ball for a scarf I'm working on and there is no center-pull end in sight.:wall: This happens every time...never quite mastered getting that center-pull end out.

Thanks for letting me vent...Lol!!:woohoo:

ladyjessica
11-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I feel your pain. Unless I've just had the yarn wound for me at the yarn store, I can never find the center pull. I usually end up pulling half the skein out through the middle before I find it and then I have to wind it all back around. It certainly is irritating. :gah: lol

Jan in CA
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I almost always get a chunk when pulling out from a skein, but I just detangle it and knit away. ;)

Abbily
11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I read on this board some time ago about putting your two index fingers into the center of the ball (one from each end) and rolling the fingers around each other till you end up with one bit of yarn wound around a finger- pull that out and it is usually the end. It almost always works for me, even if I do get a little yarn vomit that way it's always close to the end. I hope that description made sense... :)

cindygster
11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I read on this board some time ago about putting your two index fingers into the center of the ball (one from each end) and rolling the fingers around each other till you end up with one bit of yarn wound around a finger

Yeah, I've heard that here too, and I've been trying but I can't ever seem to swirl my fingers right or something 'cause it hasn't been working. It seems so trivial, but on the rare occasion I'm able to get the center-pull end out without any problem I'm so excited 'cause the yarn ball is so neat and clean looking while I work...instead of being an unraveled mess

suzeeq
11-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Doesn't bother me if a bunch comes out :?? I was going to knit it anyway...

mhansen
11-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I hate that too.

Jitendra
11-09-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't really like center pull; half the time I end up working out knots in the last few yards of it, that is such a hassle.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-09-2007, 12:17 AM
this is where kitties come in handy :)

They're so "wonderful" at "helping" to find the middle in the yarn vomit.... once i locate the end of the yarn and start working with it they gather round (anywhere from 1 to 5 of them) and "assist" by pouncing on the wad of yarn vomit to "hold" it down for me so that i don't end up with a knot up by my needle....

Course this also involves me chasing them off and having to pluck cat hair off the item periodically.... as well as get them to STOP chewing on it and being careful that they don't mess up my gauge...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/ladykrow/YarnFiends.jpg

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 01:23 AM
I usually dont end up with yarn vomit, untl it really starts getting towards the end of the skein. But that doesnt bother me much. What REALLY bothers me is when I buy certain brands of yarn, and they end up not having a center pull end at all, and if they do, they hid it very well. I would definitely hire them to hide Easter eggs. And then when Im knitting and I pull for more yarn, the ball rolls and ends off falling off the bed, or the counter, or the sofa or wherever I have it. It annoys me greatly.

Debkcs
11-09-2007, 04:06 AM
I get frustrated when I can't find the center pull. It's SUPPOSED to be there~~~

SnarfyCat
11-09-2007, 07:32 AM
I think that every ball of yarn should come with a big PULL HERE sign attached to the end of the ball--kind of like Alice In Wonderland--because sometimes I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole trying to find the stupid thing! grrrr....:hair:

WandaT
11-09-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm with ya ... this is one reason I bought the ball winder and rarely knit directly from a pre-wound ball or skein. I would much rather find and untangle knots while winding than knitting. I almost always end up with a big glob trying to find the center pull too. And like you I'm always so tickled on that rare occasion I do find it! LOL I have a puppy that thinks she's a kitten and LOVES yarn and LOVES to chase it around while I'm winding it if it's rolling all over the floor!

Lisa R.
11-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I have a confession to make. I hope it doesn't get me kicked out of knitting forever. :)

I pull from the outside. The friend who very first taught me to knit said I should always go from the center, but I had so many bad experiences in the first few skeins, that I decided never again. Maybe one day when I get a ball-winder and can make my own. But I'm too afraid of what I might find in there, and would rather just work from what I can see.

PurlyGyrl
11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
O.K. I admit it-I hate vomit of any sort--yarn vomit, cat vomit, dog vomit, kid vomit, etc.

:teehee:

Catz
11-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm usualy not too bad in finding the middle of the ball but it really depends on what blend of yarn I'm using.

I've been knitting a scarf in Jaeger luxury spun with alpaca and every ball I've started ends up vomiting all over me :teehee: .

Also I have a couple of 400g aran weight yarn that I've had to wind into a ball as with me having short fingers I couldn't get them right into the centre to find the end so I ended up pulling nearly half of it out.

walmin22
11-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a confession to make. I hope it doesn't get me kicked out of knitting forever. :)

I pull from the outside.

I'm right there with you Lisa. I'm just so excited to knit something that I just grab the first end I see. :) Most of the time it's the outside.

cheley
11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I hate yarn vomit!!! I have no question...just needed to vent. Started a new ball for a scarf I'm working on and there is no center-pull end in sight.:wall: This happens every time...never quite mastered getting that center-pull end out.

Thanks for letting me vent...Lol!!:woohoo::?? what is "yarn vomt"??? Is that what my cat has???:woot:

Lisa R.
11-09-2007, 09:56 AM
:?? what is "yarn vomt"??? Is that what my cat has???:woot:

Well, I can't say whether your cat has it or not. :) But I believe it's when you try to pull out the end of the ball from the center, but the end isn't nicely placed or wound properly, so when you pull it out, instead of a nice, smooth strand of yarn, you get a big tangled mass coming from the center of the ball, which you then have to untangle, and I'm guessing depending on its size, rewind before using.

WandaT
11-09-2007, 10:31 AM

I pull from the outside.

On occasion I do that too ... I just hate the way the ball rolls all over the place every time I pull it. That's why I usually wind it and pull from the center.

kellyh57
11-09-2007, 02:27 PM

I pull from the outside. The friend who very first taught me to knit said I should always go from the center, but I had so many bad experiences in the first few skeins, that I decided never again. Maybe one day when I get a ball-winder and can make my own. But I'm too afraid of what I might find in there, and would rather just work from what I can see.

Me too....even my own wound cakes. I just think it looks better too; it keeps the outside from getting worn while the inside is all pretty. Yeah, I'm anal like that.

Kelly

cindygster
11-09-2007, 06:10 PM
I think that every ball of yarn should come with a big PULL HERE sign attached to the end of the ball--kind of like Alice In Wonderland--because sometimes I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole trying to find the stupid thing! grrrr....:hair:

Lol!!! I couldn't have described it better

MaleKnitter
11-10-2007, 02:45 AM
HAHA, I have never heard the term "yarn vomit" before but I was laughing sooo hard.
the first yarn I remember using the center pull yarn from was Caron Simply Soft and that is usually very easy, but for some yarns it's like the yarn company was mad at me and wanted to play a CRUEL practical Joke. The one that was the worst was Lion Suede, AAAAH The yarn is very fragile and can break if you are not careful (unlike caron simply soft which will cut off your fingers before you can break it) so i am TRYING to pull the center out of the ball and the yarn vomit is coming out (roughly 80% of the ball?) and it breaks in half... So, I had a big knotted, broken end that i just ended up throwing away, it was too short to really care about, but jeeze, it seems like the more expensive the yarn, the more difficult it is to pull free from the center.