PDA

View Full Version : So when do you decide that you and a pattern aren't clicking?

stirsmommy
11-08-2007, 05:36 PM
I am making the champagne wrap from elann. I decided I didn't like the sort of yarn that they were using so I went with Andean silk. I actually have the yarn for two of these. I am only on row 13 of the first one and I just not getting into it. They are for Christmas and I don't know if it is the color of the one for my mom (black) or the pattern but I am having to force myself to work on it? Should I just soldier on or can someone think of another wrap that might be more fun and uses 990 yds of andean silk? Should I go with a feather fan?

Here is the pattern I am trying? Do you think it is just too hard for me?

http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=250024

DorothyDot
11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't know about you, but when just starting, EVERY pattern/project is fun to knit!

And always there comes a point about half-way through where it gets ho-hum, same-old-thing. That's when I put on an interesting movie and work away. I try not to start a new project until the current one is done.

BTW, that's a LOVELY stole! Really striking - I hope that you can finish it. It'll be a treasure for years to come.

Dot

G J
11-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm making a sweater for my DH and it's SO BORING! :wall: I just finished the back so I have the front, both sleeves and the neck to do yet.:wall::wall: I have a pair of socks OTN so when I get too bored with the sweater, I at least have a change of pace.

Ironlung21
11-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Very tricky one this.
I have to say that I really like that bit when you start something and it seems so hard to follow - there you are pouring over the pattern, saying it out loud (as if that helps), scrunching up your face, writing down things to help you, cursing, ignoring all the things you should be doing and not moving for so long your legs go to sleep. Hopefully it gets easier - and you are not frowning so much and when you are saying skpo 1, C4, k2 - you are nodding along with yourself and there is a bit of momentum. You can hold the work out in front of you, tilt your head about and say - oh that's good. You get excited - and eventually it gets finished.

Its the bit where you are holding it out in front of you and saying oh god this is boring - and there is miles of it left - and I'm not sure about the colour - that you know it will end up in the NTBCWTINWITS
(never to be completed while there is new wool in the shops) box. If you have reached that stage - my advice is stop now.

Songbirdy
11-08-2007, 06:37 PM
That is something that changes with every project? Yes/No?

For example... the scarf I am working on... I was simply not getting the pattern... not one bit... After 4 frogs and over 31 repeats of the 8 row pattern... I finally got it and it is flying off the needles.

I did over 15 inches last night! But the thing is... if I wasn't so determined to have *that* particular scarf... I'd have thrown the whole project in the garbage given my thoughts before it clicked!

dustinac
11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
It's very pretty!!
I'm like this with shawls and baby afghans... I get to a point where it just doesn't seem to be getting any longer... this is when I don't work on anything else and like stated before I put in a movie and just work away on it...If I didn't like the item though I wouldn't continue although I think this in a black would be stunning... I just made a black shawl and I do think they tend to drag on or something...looking at black all the time :teehee: but it's very nice when finished...

I never really give up on a pattern though...that is when my stubborn side kicks in and I hear myself saying "you will not beat me" :teehee: ...however, my mom thinks this is crazy cause knitting should be relaxing and if she and the pattern are not getting along then she just moves on to the next project....

cando
11-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Well, my take on something like that is stop, frog, find a different pattern and try again. Knitting is supposed to be about enjoying it and the only time I would soldier on is if I was kniting the stockinette body of a gorgeous sweater.

I was working on the Vine Stitch Wrap from Vogue Knitting on the Go: Shawls (http://www.knitpicks.com/Vine+Stitch+Wrap_PD30747221.html) earlier this year and it went fairly quickly. Haven't finished it yet, turns out I won't be giving it to my mom until next year so it's on the backburner while I work on other things.

And I love the fan and feather. Can't beat it for a simple yet very pretty shawl.

Good luck!

msmelody
11-09-2007, 03:27 AM
I guess I am different. Once I get the pattern, if the yarn and pattern, and the fabric are not telling me to knit, I frog. This is usually 5 to 10 inches into the work, so it is not like I am giving up early, but I have to have an overwhelming desire to knit it for me to continue. I refuse to knit something that does not "speak" to me. I have to want to knit to continue. To many things to knit to work on a project that makes me miserable.

Debkcs
11-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Since a lot of knitting, for me, is about the process, to make myself better at it, I just soldier on. I may put it down for a day and do a dishcloth, because sooner or later I'll have an 'aha' moment and the problem will clear up.

The wrap you are knitting is truly beautiful!

Sunny_Singer
11-09-2007, 11:26 AM
When do I totally give up?

When I have frogged so many times, that the very idea of starting again is of no interest. Sometimes the pattern is just too hard to follow, and sometimes it simply isn't working up for me like it was supposed to.

Then I usually search for another pattern and usually I'll start with a fresh ball of yarn, even if I am using the same yarn for the new pattern.

It isn't the stitches that bore me - at least not yet.
But I have found working with the same color/colors too long a stretch, I tend to make careless mistakes. So now I change which project I am working on - and make sure I change yarn color - before I slip into that danger zone.

Songbirdy
11-09-2007, 12:02 PM
It isn't the stitches that bore me - at least not yet.
But I have found working with the same color/colors too long a stretch, I tend to make careless mistakes.

This is exactly my problem! I can stocking stitch for ages without it bothering me... I think this is the reason that I always keep different WIP's! I just never thought through the whole thing!

But looking back... I keep the WIPs different colours or textures.

I just noticed I like to keep my yarn types different too... Usually a worsted weight, a fingerling weight and then a fun yarn or sports weight project OTN at the same time!

Jan in CA
11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
My thought is.. life is too short to knit with yarn or a pattern you don't like. Knitting is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable so unless it's a yarn/pattern that someone specifically asks you to do I would move on to one you do like.

stirsmommy
11-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys. I made myself work on the wrap last night and I am not sure what happened but it is finally beginning to speak my language. By the time finished my 10th row for the evening I was pooped but realized I had been saying just one more row for an hour. So I guess we came to an understanding. Probably I just need to see more of it knit up to see that I liked it. Last night I had decided it was do or die. I would try it one more time and if I didn't feel it it was going to be frogged. Needless to say no frogging today!:woohoo:

debinoz
11-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Glad to hear you're getting along better with your pattern! It's not usually the pattern that bugs me, it's the yarn. Someone remind me never to buy any bright and lofty ever again.

Sunny_Singer
11-10-2007, 12:49 AM
This is exactly my problem! I can stocking stitch for ages without it bothering me... I think this is the reason that I always keep different WIP's! I just never thought through the whole thing!

But looking back... I keep the WIPs different colours or textures.

I just noticed I like to keep my yarn types different too... Usually a worsted weight, a fingerling weight and then a fun yarn or sports weight project OTN at the same time!

Type of yarn doesn't bother me.
That is why I am knitting 3 rugs simultaneously.
Each is a different color but all 3 are the same pattern.
Flip color, the pattern is simple, the type you can be watching TV or if you are like me, a movie, or chatting to hubby or someone else and be able to keep going. Each is 4 strands knit together, but they are working up rather quickly and easily.

The only yarn that has kind of irked me is Bernat Super Stripes. I don't know why it is so hard to work with, but it catches onto itself, and tangles itself into knots that do not come out. People have told me they never have trouble with it, so I am not sure why it is so devilish to me :shrug:

I have 14 inches left on a scarf for my son in law. The yarn is gorgeous, just hard for me to work with.

AnnaT
11-10-2007, 03:02 AM
I've only been knitting since January so I don't have a lot of experience. I decided in the spring I wanted to try a sweater, and after lots of research I finally settled on the To Dye For Sweater in SnB. It was an easy pattern, all stockinette and minimal shaping. I altered the gauge a little, choosing 7mm needles instead of 9mm. I learned a lot about gauge and measuring!!!

BUT--after completing the back, I realized I was forcing myself to work on it. The thought of doing the sleeves wasn't a good one. I put it aside in August and started knitting for Christmas.

So I learned that I like slightly more complicated knitting--an interesting stitch pattern or some cables. Right now I'm working on the Cabled Cardigan from Patons. (link: Patons: Pattern Detail - Cabled Cardigan (http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=2193)) I am very interested in the pattern. It's really easy but still enough to keep up with that I don't get bored.

I altered this pattern , too, as I'm making it a little shorter, sleeveless, have a plain V-neck, and no belt. We'll see what happens!!! :mrgreen: