PDA

View Full Version : Woo, 3 days knitting!

laptop_knitter
11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I've been contracted by my local primary school to teach 3 classes of 7 year olds on 3 seperate days - that's 7 hours knitting per week! :cheering: It's to help me see if teaching is the profession I want to go into, given my anxiety problems, and I'm havingsomuch fun! The kids are so excited to get started, I had 4 lads ask if they could take the kiddie needles and yarn home to practise til the next lesson because they can't wait a whole week to have another go. :cheering:

Ok, happydance over! :teehee: Thanks for reading!

G J
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Whoohoo! Congratulations! Sounds like a great experience! Good luck!:hug:

dustinac
11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
:woot: That's Wonderful!! :woot:

Ironlung21
11-08-2007, 06:39 PM
That sounds marvellous - the next generation of knitting addicts in your hands. Am just a little worried that this might not be the case if you were teaching them maths. Am I being pessimistic - probably - but you did say you wanted to try out teaching....

iwfinley
11-08-2007, 06:40 PM
That is super!!! Hooray for you!!! I do a lot of volunteer work at my sons' school as well and love interacting with the kiddies, too, but I don't think I could do it all day long every day. . . .

But, since you teach kids how to knit, could you give me any tips on teaching my 9 year old son? We had our first "lesson" last night and he's begging for more tonight after supper. We casted on and he managed to knit 2 short rows in knit stitch, but it was still very cumbersome for him -- any tips? I'm using short needles and pretty generic acrylic yarn. Thanks in advance!!!!

laptop_knitter
11-08-2007, 06:43 PM
lol, there is method in my madness, even though maths never was my strong-point! Each class is 2 hours 20mins, on 3 days,which is 7 hours all together! Because they're so young they switch out every half hour or so with another group.

laptop_knitter
11-08-2007, 06:47 PM
What I've found (in my vast 3 day experience lol) is that if you make up a rhyme or song, or have a picture avalible, it seems easier for the child to grasp- we're on 'stab it,wrap it, down,up and off' and pictures from learn2knit.co.uk . That and patience with stitches falling off. Oh,and give him a goal - we're making squares for an anti-bullying wall display , so they can see the project growing as each bit is completed.

Just thought - if he's having trouble holding the needles while he's wrapping the yarn, try putting them flat on the table for a bit,until he can get used to the motions.