PDA

View Full Version : Animal quarantine in texas?

vaknitter
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey All
The hubby and I are thinking about moving to Houston, TX and someone has told us there is a mandatory quarantine for domestic animals....is this true? I am searching the goverment webpage and all I can find is info on quarantine if we don't have proof of a rabies vaccination. We have rabies vacs for both dogs and both are altered, spoiled rotten house dogs that sleep on the bed.
Please help...thank you

KnitClickChick
11-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Not sure if this will help

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=25&pt=1&ch=169&rl=34

debinoz
11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Does the official city website have a e-mail address? It couldn't do any harm to drop them a line and ask. Seems to me that that would be a hard law to enforce. People travel through and vacation in Texas all the time with their pets.

AnnaT
11-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Hi,

From the link KnitClickChick provided, it looks like the quarantine is for wild animals like coyotes and raccoons. The problem is that rabies vaccinations for wild animals don't always work and I guess they want to be sure the animal is healthy.

I have never heard of any type of questions like that concerning pets, and I have moved a lot and had pets all my life. Just have your rabies certificate with you when you take your dogs to their new vet for the first time.

When I moved from Tennessee to New York, my cats had to have another rabies vaccination because a Tennessee rabies certificate wasn't valid there; I needed to have a New York-issued certificate on hand.

Sweet_Thang
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey All
The hubby and I are thinking about moving to Houston, TX and someone has told us there is a mandatory quarantine for domestic animals....is this true? I am searching the goverment webpage and all I can find is info on quarantine if we don't have proof of a rabies vaccination. We have rabies vacs for both dogs and both are altered, spoiled rotten house dogs that sleep on the bed.
Please help...thank you

I have lived in Houston for the last 25 yrs and have never heard of such mandatory quarantine for domestic animals. From the link that was provided by the previous poster, it really appears that the quarantine is for those wild animals.
I would only think that you might have to visit a vet to check and make sure that your all your vaccinations from your current state are still valid in Texas.
GL and I hope that helps.

Lexie

jjminarcik
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I just moved to Houston 6 months ago (LOVE it! Move! Great city!) and I had never heard of that with any domestic animals. When first moving to Texas 3 yrs ago, our dog had to be registered with the city with the TX rabies certificate, not the one from Georgia. But if you find out something else, let us know! And let us know if/when you move. I would love to go yarn crawling in Houston with you!