PDA

View Full Version : I liked it more than the Mmmmmmm!!

Mommy22alyns
11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I went into my so-called LYS (it's not so local!) today to return a skein of the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino and of course pick up something else. What to my wandering hands should appear but Misti Alpaca Chunky!

http://www.paradisefibers.net/v/vspfiles/photos/3795-2.jpg

:passedout: Oh. my. goodness. I could stand there and fondle it all day, but they might look at me funny. This stuff is softer than a cloud but so expensive!! :sad: $15 for a mere 109 yards... what could one make with a reasonable amount of it? Or should I grit my teeth and make myself a sweater to live in? cloud9

ChrissyB
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
MMMM I know!! I have had the same love affair with the plymouth baby alpaca grande and my LYS. I finally caved and bought one skein when they got the painted:passedout: Anyway, I used it to make a cabled hat, and well, it doesn't knit up as nicely as I thought. :shrug:There is actually a good article in IW about alpaca, apperently it is not as springy and wool, so it doesn't keep its shape or stretch as well. And, it is denser I think so the FO tends to feel heavy. It was worth it just to knit with it thought, :knitting: but I am not sure if the hat will be functional, a scarf maybe?

cinnamon_girl
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
That stuff is yummy!!! My girlfriend just finished a scarf with that! omg!!! I couldn't stop fondling it! It's beautiful!!! She used 2 hanks and made a seeded rib scarf.

threesmom
11-08-2007, 10:19 PM
That stuff is yummy!!! My girlfriend just finished a scarf with that! omg!!! I couldn't stop fondling it! It's beautiful!!! She used 2 hanks and made a seeded rib scarf.

That's what I was thinking! Just a few skeins to make a scarf to wrap yourself in lovely softness! I've only fondled it, but I did see a scarf in it - it was lovely.

cinnamon_girl
11-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I shouldn't tell you this, but WEBS has the Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Chunky. The colors are beautiful but for the added beauty of the hand paint it's 21.40 a skein.

I'm trying to justify a $43 scarf. I'm sure I can if I consider all the hours of knitting and wearing pleasure I'll get from that yarn! :heart:

debb
11-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I've made two of these http://www.mistialpaca.com/downloads/ribs_ruffles_scarf.pdf using that scrumptiousness, one for me and one for my mom. I used two hanks cause I like my scarfs long, but you could also take off 4 pattern stitches to make it a bit longer and skinnier. I made matching headbands by doing that.

brendajos
11-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I love the Misti Alpaca yarns! I am always a little resentful of my malabrigo after I use the Misti Alpaca...lol. I find that I have to use something a little rough after the alpaca so that i have a buffer in between! ;)

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Better than malabrigo?? Wow! But $15 dollars a skein? I will have to avoid touching this, because if its as good as you say it is, I wont be able to control myself, and will probably end up blowing my whole paycheck on it. Which is not much to begin with since Im a part time receptionist in high school.

simplethings
11-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Yum! I just knit a scarf out of this. In hank form it was SO soft, seriously like clouds. It feels like it'll just fall apart in your hands. It is true that alpaca is weighter than wool and it is significantly less elastic than wool (if you stretch it chances are it won't return to its original shape, but it'll be close)--I guess the softness makes up for that. Here's a picture:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2248/1895928129_ae426fc64b.jpg

The only thing I didn't like about knitting with it... actually, I hated this aspect of the yarn: it shed like crazy. There were fibers everywhere. On my keyboard, on my clothes, in my nose, in my mouth, floating in the air... it was not cool.

The shedding seems to have significantly decreased though now that the scarf is all knitted up and finished. It's getting a bit fuzzy but it still looks good.
One close up for the road:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/1896779504_31faad7b04.jpg

Even though this yarn is stunning, Malabrigo is still my all-time favorite yarn. ;)

brendajos
11-09-2007, 03:02 AM
i do agree with the shed problem while knitting with it but it really doesn't seem so bad when done. I have splurged on the chunky a few times and have loved every bit of it. I have a long green scarf and hat (well the hat isn't long, that would be weird) ... and i have some pink waiting to be knit up. These are a couple of the scarves that will never ever be given to someone else because i love them SO much (or at least the yarn, in the case of the pink. ;) )

feministmama
11-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Oh you enablers you!!!

walmin22
11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
:passedout: Oh. my. goodness. I could stand there and fondle it all day, but they might look at me funny.

That made me giggle! I needed that today! Have fun knitting with it.

dustinac
11-09-2007, 10:05 AM
:woot: I love Misti Alpaca!! The lace is my favorite to use...it's so soft...I have some hand painted here that needs to become something :teehee:

lilchem
11-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I, too, really :heart: this yarn! I made my Mom a Scrunchable Scarf out of it (2 skeins...I think). It was the softest, fastest knit! I loved every second of knitting it and hated to give it away. My Mom loves that scarf. So, I guess it was good that I gave it up!

mwedzi
11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I love feeling that alpaca, too, but even though it feels softer to my hands it does not feel soft against my sensitive skin. I am in no way allergic to alpaca. I can touch it forever and knit with it and even have the fibers go up my nose and I will not have an allergic reaction (though the fibers may tickle my nose and cause me to sneeze; it does shed way more than Malabrigo or wool in general). But I cannot wear it against my neck. My friend bought me a hank and it felt so luxurious that I thought "I want this right next to me skin. I know, I'll make a neck warmer!" Bad idea. It's more prickly than wool, in the same way that mohair is. Not that it's as extreme as mohair, but it's the same sort of "it pricks and itches" sensation for me. This is not the case for most people, but after reading around the boards I know I'm not the only one who felt this way. So before you buy a sweater's worth, try making something small and keeping it against your most sensitive skin and see how you like it.