PDA

View Full Version : Best yarn for...

Chikky
11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Sorry if there's a thread about this already. I looked as much as my tired eyes could and didn't see one.

I'm looking to make a scarf and hat for a male friend of mine. What is the best yarn for this?

Any ideas? He loves a certain NFL team, so I thought of going that route, but mainly I need to know what a good, kinda fool-proof man-yarn is. ;)

Thanks!

Ingrid
11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Plymouth Encore is a good choice. It has tons of colors so you can probably match his team's colors, and it's machine washable and dryable. Soft, too.

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 01:37 AM
Im rather a fan of the Red Heart Super Saver, because Im usually on a tight budget and its cheap. Its all acrylic, which is good because Im alergic to wool. It may feel scratchy at first, but when you're finished, wash it on gentle cycle and add a little hair conditioner. It softens up considerably. That was a tip I read on here posted by another member whose name I cant remember at the moment. But, if you or your friend doesnt have any issues with animal fibers, or you're not on a tight budget, I would go with Ingrids suggestion. Hers may even be acrylic and cheap for all I know. I havent checked out that particular yarn. Not to mention Ingrid is much more experienced than I.

Jan in CA
11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Plymouth Encore is wool and acrylic..mostly acryclic, but it's nice and comes in a million colors.

I hate RHSS myself because its so rough it hurts my hands to knit with, but if you don't mind that then go for it. If you want acrylic there are also lots of other good choices, too. Red Heart Soft, Vanna's Choice, Caron Simply Soft....

drummerboi202
11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Jan's right, there are tons of other acrylic yarns out there that are much softer. RHSS is just easily available to me, and works with my budget, so I like it. Really, just go to a few sites and look around. Most of the ones I've been to have it categorized by content, which is pretty handy. And if I could think of any beside Knit Picks, I would give you links.

Chikky
11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Awesome; thanks guys!

Now how about the weight? Sport? Worsted? What's the best, in your opinion? I mean, I've used all different sorts, but I can't decide for this project.

wandersfar
11-09-2007, 10:22 PM
What size needles do you own/plan to knit with? 4-6 -- go with sport, 7-9 -- go with worsted.

Unless you have both or are willing to buy a new pair.

The thinner your yarn, the longer it will take to complete your project (unless you double-strand, of course).

So I would choose worsted over sport; it'll knit up faster.

Chikky
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Again, thank you. I got the Vanna's Choice... And I plan of using size 9's? I know it'll take awhile... But it's ok. I plan on using about three colors for his team's colors... I wonder how I can do it simply, but still make it look *nice*, you know?