PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Increase Holes - Hate em

Knitalia
11-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Why?? I am working on a hat for my 2 year old. The increases look awful because there are plainly visible holes. I used Amy's video for the M1 where you like the strand in between the needles & knit into the back of it. I did it just like the video said to. It's supposed to be virtually invisible. But I still have holes. Does anyone know a better way?

Thanks

brittyknits
11-09-2007, 10:34 AM
That piece of yarn between the stitches that you picked to knit-- are you twisting it before you use it to make the new stitch? If you do, it shouldn't leave a hole. It will feel tight to knit that new stitch from it, if you're doing it right.

Knitalia
11-09-2007, 11:03 AM
No. I just lifted it from the front with my left needle. Then knit right into the back w/ the right needle. I didn't know you were supposed to twist it. Let me try that. Thanks!!!

knitwit
11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I had no idea about the twisting on the M1- thanks for the tip!

suzeeq
11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Knitting into the back of it is what gives it a twist. You can use the one where you knit into the back loop of the stitch below the one on your left needle. That's about the most invisible increase I've come across.

Jan in CA
11-09-2007, 12:51 PM
If you are picking it up from back to front with the left needle you would need to knit into the front (normal stitch) to twist it. If you pick up from front to back you knit into the back of the stitch to twist it.

If you don't like one increase you can always try another, too...although don't do it on the same hat. Always be consistent unless the pattern tells you otherwise. ;)

brittyknits
11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
So, how'd it go, knitalia-- any luck?

debinoz
11-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Mine always leave a hole also. I pick up from front to back and ktbl... I still have a hole. Smaller than a yo, but it's still there.

Just a thought.... maybe I've been picking up the wrong loop. Which one is it exactly??

ETA: I just noticed, too that there is a difference between ss and garter. In ss there is only one strand, but in garter there is 2, yes?

CountryKitty
11-09-2007, 08:10 PM
When I make a knit increase, I insert the tip of my needle through the top of the next stitch except 1 row down, then knit the stitch on top of it. This pretty much eliminates holes for me.

suzeeq
11-09-2007, 11:30 PM
It doesn't matter if it's stockinette or garter, or if you have a knit side or purl side facing you - there's only one strand between stitches.

brittyknits
11-10-2007, 12:01 AM
debinoz-- it's not a stitch you're looking for, it's the strand of yarn which sort of makes a bridge between the 2 stitches you want. And as suzeeq said, there is only one, no matter if it's knit or purl. So you take that bridge of yarn and lift it onto the left needle, twisting it as you do it, so it looks like a "cause" ribbon-- I can't think of what they call them, but there are pink ones for breast cancer and red ones for heart disease and yellow ones for soldiers-- do you know what I mean? Then knit or purl into it, as if it were a regular stitch. It will be little tight. That should do it.

debinoz
11-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the description. I guess my confusion comes from when I'm knitting ss in the round there is most definately one bar between sts, but when I knit flat, there is a bar to the left and a loop to the right. The bar is actually the yarn that goes up and forms the next st on the left needle, the loop is I don't know what. Now which one do I knit into? Bar or loop? I don't really mean to be dense, but I'd like to use the right M1 in a pattern instead of subbing kfb for everything.

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 12:18 AM
The sts look the same whether you're knitting flat or round. :??

debinoz
11-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Okay.... I'm super embarassed. The loop thing? It's actually the top of the stitch below. I think I'll go hide now....

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Hey, don't be emabarrased! Knitting into the loop below is another way to make an increase and it doesn't leave holes. Look at the increase videos for KLL/KRL.

MaleKnitter
11-10-2007, 02:53 AM
I prefer the "Make One Away" which I learned from Amy's Videos. It looks the same as a regular Make One but it is looser so it doesnt tighten the surrounding stitches, and the greatest thing is IT'S TWISTED FOR YOU ON THE NEXT ROW :)... the only confusing part, If I want to match the pattern I have to "Make One Away" on the previous row (usually for sleeves, when they say increase every 6th row, i just increase on the 5th, 11th, 17th, 23rd... etc.) but I think it is much easier.

redwitch
11-10-2007, 07:58 AM
Instead of thinking 'ktbl to close the loop' think 'twist the stitch to close the loop'. Knitting tbl does not necessarily twist/close the stitch, it's this twisting that you need.
The bar you lift is made from the wool used to make the stitches in the row you are currently knitting. So if you tug on the unknitted stitch on your left needle, you will see the tension moves the part of the strand that you need to pick up.
Try using a fingertip to gently poke the ladder between the stitches and stretch it out/down over the tip. You want the top strand (try stretching the fabric down a bit more).

Knitalia
11-10-2007, 12:44 PM
If you are picking it up from back to front with the left needle you would need to knit into the front (normal stitch) to twist it. If you pick up from front to back you knit into the back of the stitch to twist it.
If you don't like one increase you can always try another, too...although don't do it on the same hat. Always be consistent unless the pattern tells you otherwise. ;)
This helps. I'll have to try it. I was actually lifting the stitch w/ my needle, then twisting it (with the needle & my fingers) and knitting through the back of it. It seemed really awkward & wrong, but no hole.

redwitch
11-10-2007, 07:31 PM
You might have been twisting it then with your fingers, and then untwisting it when you ktbl. Just make sure you twist the stitch and it will be closed in the fabric.