PDA

View Full Version : Winder and Swift Advice

knitpurlgurl
11-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm a newbie and would like to invest in a winder and swift, but I don't want to break the bank. I don't want to buy cheap items that I'll have to replace, but I don't want to spend a boodle.

Thanks in advance!

Julie
11-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I got both of mine from Joann -- they put out 40% off and 50% off coupons regularly. I did buy them separately so I could use coupons on both. Their wooden swift is really nice and I believe it was $37 shipped after the coupon discount.

If you have another knitter in the family, you could go in on it together...my MIL and I shared the cost of the swift making it an even better deal! :D

Lady Violet
11-09-2007, 12:51 PM
the problem with joanns is that you can't use the coupon if the item is already on sale, and the swift and winder have been on sale for weeks. they used to have two winders, but now they just have the cheap one that has all the complaints. (you can see those on the website.) i don't know if they're just temporarily sold out of the good/more expensive winder, or if they've stopped carrying it. i'm thinking it was probably the Royal winder. they don't list any names for their winding apparatuses, but it's the same price as the Royal and it looks the same.

as far as the swift goes, there are actually a few threads on KH about making your own for about $15 (or less). you could also google "how to make a swift". there are lots of cheap options out there, and some are even made from kids' toys!