PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Ashford Traditional

ctmax
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I bought an older used spinning wheel. I set it together and spent an afternoon oiling, adjusting screws and just about trying everything to get the wheel to spin easier. The wheel is hard to treadle and I have tried everything that I know of to help. I did get it to go a little better. Does anyone have any suggestions I could try? Is this wheel normally harder to treadle? I was using a louet s10 and it is a breeze to treadle compared to the ashford.

mullerslanefarm
11-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Did you oil everything that turns? Is the big wheel straight and spin true?
I have a mid-70's Single Treadle, single drive Ashford Traddie. It definitely has a different treadle pattern than the Traveller or the late 1700's ST, SD Irish style saxony wheel, but not a harder treadle, just different.
Make sure your brake band isn't too tight and that the footman is adjusted for the treadle correctly.

ctmax
11-10-2007, 01:44 AM
I have a mid-70's Single Treadle, single drive Ashford Traddie

Sound just like my traddie. I have oiled everything twice, I have not adjusted the footman, I'm not even sure I know how? I took the drive belt off and it says on the Ashford website that with one spin it should spin 20+ times by itself. Mine does maybe 10.

hocns
11-12-2007, 08:01 AM
I have an old ashford, and it needs an overhaul. The metal things that hold the flyer (round, on the maidens) sort of loosen up, and I frequently push them back into place. Sometimes I push too hard, then they are at an angle, everything is too tight, and the wheel becomes hard to treadle. Does any of this make sense? Also maybe the drive band is too tight. There are, I'm sure, a ton of reasons, it's just a matter of finding the right one. Mine is easy to treadle.

Leah22b
11-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I also have an Ashford (Traditional). The last few days its been really hard to treadle. Last night I finally figured out what was wrong. The bolt that connects the wheel to the treadle was rubbing against the washer/pole that leads to the treadle. The friction was makeing the bolt very hot and stoping its free movement. When you check this piece make sure you have some space between the 2 pieces. If not loosen the bolts and try it again. I hope this helps.

Leah22b
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
This link also has some good ideas and info about Ashford Wheels.

http://www.straw.com/cpy/wisdom/trad_old.html