PDA

View Full Version : KAL - Knitty's "Oblique"

knitqueen
11-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Anyone interested in knitting "Oblique (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATToblique.html)" with me?? I just ordered Knitpicks Swish Superwash (http://www.knitpicks.com/Swish+Superwash_YD5420153.html) in "Coast Grey" for it. I fell in love with this sweater the moment I saw it. So whenever I get the yarn, I'll be off and running! :woohoo:

CDKnittingMama
11-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Oh, it looks beautiful! I have never done any lace patterns and I have never done anything that big. I don't think I have the patience although I wish I could.

Hope you find someone to work on it with you.

robynbird
11-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I love it too! Right now I'm finishing up Juliet and then I have Christmas knitting to do. Maybe after the new year...

divagirl
11-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Knitqueen, count me in!! I was just about to post for a KAL for this. I saw it yesterday and cast on immediately. I think this is THE sweater for my MIL for Christmas. I am doing mine in Ultra Alpaca, light blue. I am about halfway thru the ribbing on the back.

knitqueen
11-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Deb, how's it going? I'm still here, but am waiting for my yarn at the moment. Hopefully this week!

divagirl
11-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Knitqueen...Happy thanksgiving!! Other than a little bit of tinking b/c I forgot a yarnover, I am coming along well. I am almost done with the raglan shaping in the back :woot: . It's not as tricky as I thought it would be - once you have the lace patterns established it is very easy to see where you are and what stitch comes next. I am probably going to cast on a sleeve next to break up the monotony a little bit.

heidimonkey
11-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I've got this much done, started the ribbing last night. I love this sweater, can't wait to see how it progresses. I picked up some yarn on sale, it's wool, alpaca and rayon so it has some nice fuzzy but it still shows the lace pattern well. I can't remember what it was, it was on mega sale at my LYS because it was my lucky day.

It's not as orange as the photo shows. It's actually a lovely blue-base red, nice cherry color and so so soft.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2356/2071546399_cd4877ab90_m.jpg

www.heidimonkey.com

divagirl
11-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi Heidi! I have the back and half a sleeve done. I had to put it down for a little to get my son's vest finished for his pictures next week. That will be done by the weekend and i can get back to it. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to post a pic so I can show you guys. I keep trying to make my husband care about my knitting, but he wont. :p

This is a Christmas gift for my MIL. Are you making it for you or for a gift? I'm likng it so much that I see another in my future...for me!

heidimonkey
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
I've got the lower 1/3 of the back done. I've decided to make it about 2" shorter because it seems like it would hit right in the middle of my hips. Hopefully that will work out and I won't have to rip. At least the decreases all seem to be in the moss section so it won't interrupt lace and I won't have to recalculate anything. Did you do anything different on yours yet?

I'm making mine for myself, I've been wanting the "perfect" red sweater forever, also the perfect green sweater and the perfect black sweater. I got this yarn on clearance, classic elite follies. It's really lovely. Also, I'm very surprised how quickly this knits up. I've only worked on it a few hours and it's whizzing right along.

I want to see pictures of yours! :woot:

divagirl
11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey there! I don't think making it shorter would be a problem. It does seem to whiz along, but when you think you're ready to start shaping so you measure and realize you still have another 3" to go ....then it drags. LOL

You will do alot of decreasing in the lace section but it isn't bad at all. As long as you K2tog and SSK at the right spot you'll be fine. One word of caution - DON'T yarnover right before/after a decrease. I did for almost the entire back when I thought it was taking a loooong time to get to the end. I bound off, measured and it was way off. So I ripped and did it over without the yarnovers and the measurement was spot on.

I haven't tweaked mine at all. My MIL likes things that are loose and long so I left it just as it was. When I do mine though I will probably shorten it up a bit. I swear I'm going to get some pics up soon. I am almost ready to start the decreases on the sleeve. :woohoo:

Kintqueen, where are you? Have you gotten your yarn yet?

knitqueen
11-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm here, and I'm glad there's 2 of you working on it because I think I'm out :sad:. I did get my yarn, and got about 1 ball of yarn into a sleeve (I like to get the sleeves over with, this is why I started with one) and realized I'd probably need over 2 balls just for one sleeve and that the amount of yarn I ordered for this project is not going to be NEARLY enough. I substituted Knitpicks Swish and ordered the right yardage but it is just not going to be enough. I was also finding the pattern to be the type that you really have to concentrate on (at first anyways) and my poor little mind can't handle it right now. I still love it though and hope to make it at some point, but for now I've switched to the 3/4 sleeve version of Cece from ChicKnits (http://www.chicknits.com/catalog/cece.html).

Have fun girls, and I'll keep checking on your progress!

divagirl
11-30-2007, 05:38 PM
:pout: I'm sorry it isn't working out for you! I love the sweater you did pick - I've bookmarked the site.

I am probably going to do another one of these - to keep! - after the first of the year...how about then?

knitqueen
11-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Hopefully I'll be ready for it then! I can't wait to see both of yours progress.

divagirl
12-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Good morning Heidi!
:wall: :hair: :grrr: I have no idea what I'm doing wrong b/c the computer won't tell me...I can't post a picture! I've tried 3 times and I just can't do it. any advice on that one would be appreciated, I've never been able to post a pic.
That said, I got the first sleeve almost done while we watched The Departed last night. I actually have hope of finishing this in time! LOL

knitqueen
12-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Could be that your file is too big. Do you know how to resize?

divagirl
12-02-2007, 10:13 AM
The file is too big. I've resized it with Silver's link but it's still too big. I think my husband might be able to do somehting with it and then teach me so I don't have to bug him everytime I want to post a pic! :-P

heidimonkey
12-02-2007, 04:26 PM
So your uploading tool just won't do anything at all? That's strange, have you tried using a different photo hosting service? I use flickr and it seems to work ok.

divagirl
12-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm thinking a flickr account is what I am going to do - not just for this but b/c I have so much family all ove the place and I can share pics of my son and all that good stuff....

How are you coming along? Are your decreases working out ok?

heidimonkey
12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Did you find that there was something amiss with the pattern? I am finding something strange happening in row five of the right slanting decreases. I think I've figured it out, but I'm wondering if I just entered a number or something on the document when I copied it because I was getting the same strange thing on each row 5.

Also, I found that I am just not going to have enough of this lovely yarn. Even though I bought 1 skein more than I should have based on my gauge swatch and everything else, there just isn't enough. Of course this is on super clearance too, so I'm going to search around on ebay and see what I can find.

Might put this one down for a bit, at least rip back the repeats that are strange and see if I can find more yarn. Sad!! I was hoping to finish by new year's eve to have a lovely red sweater for the occasion!

Yarn store today for lunch!!

divagirl
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
running short on yarn is the same thing knitqueen said! I never buy a whole sweater's worth at one time - I get a few skeins and grab more when it runs out. I know, bad habit. I have been lucky so far with dye lots and all that good stuff. Of course on the plus side, yarn store for lunch is never a bad thing, right? :teehee:

I didn't notice my repeats were strange, the only problem I had was adding the yarnovers while decreasing for the raglan section. I had to rip a big chunk of the back and when I got to the decreases for the sleeve I knew not to make the same mistake. I finished the sleeve last night and got started on the left front. I'm a little concerned about the waist/neck shapping at the same time. The pattern looks a little weird, but I am following Ingrid's advice - trust the pattern!

PS, I got myself a flickr account yesterday! I'm feeling all technological and whatnot. I uploaded my pictures but I can't figure out how to post them here. I also finally got around to getting myself on the list for Ravelry - so one way or another I am going to get to show off my stuff! Have a good day...TTYL

heidimonkey
12-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Once you have the photos uploaded to flickr, click on the photo (in flickr) and click the link to the right that says "see different sizes" then scroll down and copy the info under "grab the photo's url".

In the forum (here), click the yellow and gray button to "insert image", paste the url info there and voila. Should be a lovely picture in your post. Let me know if that works for you.

I did rip out because of not enough yarn. Very sad. Now I'm back on the search. I still can't figure out what I keep doing at the same point. I'm going to make a swatch of just that part of the pattern to figure it out because i NEED this sweater!

divagirl
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks! Anything beyond the basics with computers and I am lost. I had some issues with the waist shaping last night but it was a horrible day and I wasn't paying the attention that it probably needed. My dad has to have a medical procedure done so I am going to put it on hold for a day or two and work on something mindless.

Were they able to tell you at the LYS what you bought so that you might be able to find it somewhere else?

heidimonkey
12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I went back and they had no more. I guess it's ebay for me. Or, wait! I could just buy some of the same yarn you got from knitpicks! I love their yarn and it seems to be working for you. That might be an even better solution!

divagirl
12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi Heidi!
Knitqueen was using a KP yarn...I am using Ultra Alpaca. I am just in love with this stuff right now. It's really soft when you're working with it and when you wash it, it gets even softer. I am picking this back up tonight. I needed my size 7's for the other sweater I wanted to get started. Baby sweater, no big deal. I have a little bit of work to do but I am going to try to post a pic - 3rd times the charm, right?

divagirl
12-05-2007, 02:22 PM
ok, here goes!

divagirl
12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woohoo:

divagirl
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
here is the sleeve and another pic of the back.

heidimonkey
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Excellent pictures, gorgeous work!

divagirl
12-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks! Maybe next time I'll figure out how to zoom in...

How is it going for you?

heidimonkey
12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Ugh, I'm still not finding the yarn anywhere. I guess I'm shopping again. How sad! I've just got a few inches on the needles, wishing, waiting, and hoping to become lovely sweater!!

divagirl
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi Heidi!
I haven't been doing too much work on the sweater...we had a death in the family and things have been hectic. So I told my MIL last night that I have been working on something for her for Christmas and I didn't know if I would get it done. She laughed and said a picture would be ok until it was. How are things with you?

heidimonkey
12-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It looks like both of our sweaters are on hold now, as I still haven't found anymore yarn. I'm working on a "Forecast" from Knitty and a "Seaberry Shell" from one of my Interweave Knits magazines. What are you working on to pass the time?

divagirl
12-14-2007, 04:41 PM
I am finishing up a Stackpole pullover - WEBS pattern for Valley yarn but I'm doing it in Berrocco Comfort. It is for my nephew - black and gold for my Steelers! I have 2 things that I am almost done with - a Lucy bag and an Orca tails scarf. I hate blocking scarves! I know my MIL won't freak out if I give her a pic of the seater on Christmas. She makes tons of prayer shawls for the church group and she has never experienced the glory of Addi needles, so that is what I am going to have for her to unwrap on christmas. Being that everything is so chaotic right now it has become the christmas of gift certificates.

divagirl
01-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Oh Heidi! Where are you?

Hope your holidays were absolutely fabulous. I didn't get the sweater done, but I have all the pieces but the right front finished. I am going to be picking it up again now that the Christmas rush is over. I hope to have it finished and on my MIL's body by the end of the month and then on to the CPH or the Arwen cardigan.

heidimonkey
01-03-2008, 12:24 PM
My holidays were great, but I still haven't found more yarn. I've got an order in for the same stuff you used and I'll get started as soon as I finish my "Forecast" from Knitty. Send pictures, I'd love to see it! The CPH and Arwen and really lovely, I think after Oblique I'm going to make a "Rusted Root".

robynbird
01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm in! I finished Juliet so I'm ready to cast on for Oblique. :) I am using Plymouth Encore Worsted in a heatherd gray color. It's stash yarn! :)

divagirl
01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi robynbird! Welcome aboard! I am almost finished with mine, but I am going to do another one - for me this time.

robynbird
01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi robynbird! Welcome aboard! I am almost finished with mine, but I am going to do another one - for me this time.
Did you use more yarn than the pattern said?

divagirl
01-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I didn't use the yarn called for - I used Ultra Alpaca. I am bad with yarn...I never get as much as the pattern calls for at one time, I buy a few skiens and get more as needed. I am figuring that by the time I'm done I will have used about 7 skiens as I started it with a partial that I had in my stash.

robynbird
01-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Well...I panicked and ordered 5 more balls of the yarn I need. THAT should be plenty! I really like the pattern.

Arielluria
01-28-2008, 05:19 PM
I fell in love with this pattern the second I saw it as well. I just started it, having FINALLY finished a couple of Christmas gifts ;). I'm doing it in Paton's Merino, DH showered me with 21 skeins in 3 colors for Christmas. What a guy!

However............that twisted 2x2 ribbing gave me a TON of headaches. Am I just DENSE............(don't answer that!):teehee: but seriously, it was such a pain, and impossible to tink. Did anyone else feel like this????????................:
:passedout:

I've restarted with a plain k2, p2 ribbing, but I'm afraid I might regret it. Any input will be appreciated.

Arielluria
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
That Cece's cuuuuute. That might have to be my NEXT one!

Arielluria
02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Are you guys still in this? I'm curious for more photos :teehee:

I finally got the ribbing. It was easy. I must have been having a yarntard moment!
:flirt:

I've got about 1/4 of my back done.

robynbird
02-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm still working on it. I am at the waist decreases on the back.

divagirl
02-17-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm still here! I didn't quit...I just had to pause for a little while. Things have been insane for me these last couple of months. I just finished weaving in all my ends and am ready to start construction woohoo!! How is everyone else?

Arielluria
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I just BO'd my back piece last night. No pic yet. Can't wait and am surprised how fast it went.

I substituted yarn, so I thought I was going to have to frog the whole arm decrease (about 9") but it seems OK. If anyone can tell me, how long is that diagonal line that makes up your arm decrease on the back? I did a little geometric calculation per the schematics and measured mine and then measured the completed piece on my body. It seems OK, it's about 11" long. What is yours?????????:shock:

divagirl
02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
I didn't measure mine, but now I might...there were many times I called this the neverending sleeve.

Arielluria
04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
RE the sleeves' ribbing. I just started my first sleeve and it seems as if it will be too wide (as it is in the model in the picture, only bigger on my small wrists). It would be great if the ribbing could be 12 stitches smaller at least.

Has anyone made such a modification on theirs? If I do this, I will have to add the 12 again before starting the actual sleeve pattern, as by measuring the pattern (20 st right leaning, 20 left leaning and 3 moss stitch) the rest of the sleeve width should be perfect on me.

Any input from others who have knit Oblique would be GREATLY appreciated.
:flirt:

robynbird
04-30-2008, 03:21 PM
This is hibernating for me right now. I love the pattern but not the yarn I'm using so I am going to knit the CPH and then revisit Oblique.

Arielluria
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
What is "CPH"?:shock:

robynbird
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Central Park Hoodie - there is a KAL for it here on KH.

Arielluria
05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm ready to block mine!!!!!!!!! :woot::woot::woot:
For those of you who have made this, any blocking suggestions? I'm afraid of tugging it too far and making it too large. This is my first cardigan.

robynbird
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Can't wait to see it! As soon as I finish my CPH I'm going to pick this back up. :)

Arielluria
05-31-2008, 11:02 AM
I have found several errors (mostly minor) in the pattern I printed out. If I'm not mistaken it was from the Knitty site. Has anyone else? I'm going to post what I thought were errors here when I'm done, JIC it helps someone in the future.

Arielluria
06-04-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm finishing up and can't wait! On the final collar finish though it says (see rows 3 & 4 below (red emphases mine). What the heck is "W&T"??????

Quote:
Row 1 [WS]: K5[7, 7, 9, 3, 5, 5], k2tog, [k9, k2tog] 14[14, 14, 14, 16, 16, 16] times, k4[6, 6, 8, 2, 4, 4]. 150[154, 154, 158, 166, 170, 170] sts.
Row 2 [RS]: K2 tbl, p2tog, yo, [k2 tbl, p2] to last 6 sts, k2 tbl, yo, p2tog, k2 tbl. This row sets 2x2 Twisted Rib for Collar.
Row 3 [WS]: Work in pattern to last 4 sts, W&T.
Row 4 [RS]: Work in pattern to last 4 sts, W&T.
Row 5 [WS]: Work in pattern to 8 sts before previous wrapped st, W&T.
Row 6 [RS]: Work in pattern to 8 sts before previous wrapped st, W&T.
Rows 7-16: Work as for Rows 5-6. 52 sts remain unworked at each end of Row 16.

robynbird
06-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Wrap and Turn I believe - it sounds like you are doing a few short rows....

Arielluria
06-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Tada! Here it is folks! I need a better picture, will replace when I can. But I couldn't wait to post it! More pics on my FO post (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1120258).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2589955479_d0ec28af2e.jpg

robynbird
06-18-2008, 10:13 PM
It's beautiful!!