PDA

View Full Version : Possible pattern error?

Brookemz
11-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Okay, I found a free pattern for the sweater coat (I have a separate thread about that!:arrow: ) and I think there is an error in the pattern.

You can see the complete pattern here:http://www.mangomoonyarns.com/Fringed_Coat.html (here.)

Here is the problem:
Gauge: 13 rows = 4"

Back: CO 65(73,79) sts. Work 1x1 rib for 5 rows, then 5 rows of st st .Dec 1 st at each end of next row and every 4th row 6(7,8) more times, 51(57,61) sts. Work even until 6 _ (7, 8) inches from beginning.

According to the gauge, the piece should already be about 10.5inches long after the decreases, right? The first 10 rows, plus the 24 rows for the decreases (I am making the smallest size) is 34 rows, which should come to about 10.5 inches....so how are you supposed to continue even if the piece is already longer than six inches. Is this a pattern error, or am I missing something here?:frog: :hair:

I have emailed this question to the contact email address at the website, but have not received a response yet. If/when I do, I will update this post.

Thanks for in advance for any help!!

suzeeq
11-09-2007, 11:58 PM
The gauge is 13 sts = 4"; the rows are 16 = 4". It shouldn't be much more than 8" after 34 rows, so yes that's a bit long. I think the 6_ " is supposed to be 6", it just didn't come out. Maybe you could measure from the end of the ribbing; as long as you do the same thing on the fronts too, it should be okay.

Brookemz
11-10-2007, 12:06 AM
:doh: Ooops!!! Yes, 13 sts. = 4" and 16 rows = 4"

Which is why I am suspecting an error...lol....I know how easy it is to confuse things when you are typing them!

I'm just not very confident in knitting....I have always been a crochet person, but I've gotten bored with it after years and years and decided to give knitting a go, I'm just not familiar with it yet to be able to adjust or predict patterns and what they will look like when finished.

boo1
11-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm just not very confident in knitting....I have always been a crochet person, but I've gotten bored with it after years and years and decided to give knitting a go, I'm just not familiar with it yet to be able to adjust or predict patterns and what they will look like when finished.

I feel the same way. I think crochet is terribly easy for the most part, but knitting is much more challenging (and I know other people feel just the opposite). Sometimes I think I post really stupid questions, but fortunately, someone usually takes pity on me and answers! :teehee:

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 12:24 PM
When you first started to crochet was it easy? You probably had a learning curve and so it is with anything new you try. Just keep it up, it'll come together for you.