PDA

View Full Version : Do you find yourself 'staring' at knitting clothing that others are wearing?

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-10-2007, 07:06 AM
I ask because.. I do this and today while I was out shopping- I saw so many really cute 'machine knit' sweater coats. I did see a handknit sweater like vesty thing yesterday that was adorable.

It's awkward sometimes-- because, I'm staring at the knitted items and if I'm caught by the 'knitted item wearer' they think that I'm staring at them with a dazed look on my face. cloud9

CountryKitty
11-10-2007, 07:49 AM
LOL, absolutely--for better than 20 years now. My instructors at school have been wearing sweaters and such, so of course I wind up standing close to listen to the Q&A after lecture...and I study the stitching as well.

I also can't help admiring yarn in someone else's grocery basket and asking what project it is intended for!

mdog182
11-10-2007, 06:30 PM
yes, i do this all the time. a lot of the time you can find me staring at my own sweaters just looking at the stitches....wondering how the ribbing or colorwork is so perfect. i try not to be so obvious when staring at what others are wearing....people at work already think i'm weird. haha

jennylozano
11-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes, all the time!! I look at other people's sweaters, hats, mittens, scarves, etc. :teehee: and wonder if it was hand knitted or machine knitted and tend to "study" the cables that seem to be so in this season!

knitgal
11-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I do this a lot too! I've also noticed there are a lot of cables this season, which is fine by me, since I LOVE cables. I usually stare at people's store bought sweater thinking "I could knit that", or "they have no idea that they have 2x2 ribbing on their cuffs and collar and intertwined cables running down their sleeves, do they?"

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I did just today! We were wandering around the mall and went into Ross. Saw a yoked cardi that I had to stop and study the pattern. Got it, now I can apply it to one of my `sweaters in progress that I'm not sure is going to come out the way I want' or to another batch of yarn that was bought for a sweater...

punk knitter
11-10-2007, 09:28 PM
yeah i'll admit it. and then you sit there and try to figure out how to make one!! and then spend the whole day trying to find a pattern that looks similar, atleast im not the only one:)

trollgirl
11-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Yes! I do this. My friend had a really cute green sweater on from Gap and I was staring at the cables and the neckline and trying to figure out if I could make one.

She totally was onto me though. After about ten seconds of that she asked if I was trying to figure out how to knit her sweater. :teehee:

drummerboi202
11-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Absolutely. All the time. I've even been known to walk up to strangers just to tell them I like their coat or sweater, which is really me studying the stitches. Just today I was in Ikea and I found a basket that was knitted out of this stiff yarn (which I suspect was hemp). I stood there just critizing this basket and muttering about the pattern and these people were just staring at me like I was some type of oddball! The nerve! lol

AnnaT
11-11-2007, 01:33 AM
I usually stare at people's store bought sweater thinking "I could knit that", or "they have no idea that they have 2x2 ribbing on their cuffs and collar and intertwined cables running down their sleeves, do they?"

I do this, too!

I have been looking in the last couple of weeks as people slowly start to wear sweaters. I think I've seen one hand knit vest. The other day I saw a sweater in a store, and passed it up because I knew how easy it would be to knit!! :teehee:

knitncook
11-11-2007, 11:08 AM
The sad thing is how many times I've actualy asked someone if they knit what they were wearing. OY! And sadder still is the number of times I've been told no. It's not just you. It's a knitting thing.