PDA

View Full Version : My husband needs your opinions.....

figaro
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
He is testing the waters in ebay with his flower bulbs. He sells flower bulbs to all sorts of growers, he has a couple in Mexico City and all over here on the east coast (that is why we moved here). We have always been interested in selling the bulbs to people via ebay and he has a crate of them on there right now. I wanted to know if any of you great people would go on over there (http://home.search.ebay.com/tulip-bulbs_Plants-Seeds-Bulbs_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR2QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQftrt Z1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ1509QQsaobfmtsZinsifQ QsbrsrtZd)
and take a look and then give me your opinion on them. Is the price right, the amount of bulbs-is it too much or not enough, does the color affect it? What about the description, does it give you a good idea of what the product is or does it leave you wondering a bit? Anything else you could tell us would really help us in this little adventure.

We really would appreciate this from any of you who can do this! Thank you so much!:muah:

Nobones
11-10-2007, 10:04 AM
When I clicked the link I went to a page with lots of sellers on there, which one are you?

figaro
11-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm so sorry! I was so busy writing that I forgot to tell you which one-it is the "500 Louvre 12/+ tulip bulbs".

figaro
11-10-2007, 11:42 AM
anyone? We only want opinions....

vaknitter
11-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Just my opinion, color would matter to me. More than that I personally don't have anywhere to plant that many bulbs and could not spend $150 on tulip bulbs when I don't know the reputation of the grower and what percentage of the bulbs will grow. When I buy from my local garden store I have assurance that if the bulbs don't come up or my tree dies they will replace it within "x" number of months. I may be more cynical that some e-bayers as I have gotten burned a few times.
Good Luck

Jan in CA
11-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Your average ebay buyer looking for a deal probably doesn't want/can't afford 500 tulips so you are probably marketing to a different group....

However, I think more information would be helpful. Just telling us that they are not "home improvement store" tulips doesn't really tell anyone much. What ARE Louvre Tulips? What makes them special and why should someone buy them over one of the other types available? He needs to sell his product just like he would if he was face to face with someone. ;)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

KnitClickChick
11-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I have to agree with Jan. 500 is a lot of bulbs for your average person. Personally, if I were looking to buy some bulbs, I would want them packaged in smaller quantities -- maybe 20-30 bulbs in a bag. And I think people will want more specifics, i.e. exactly what makes that particular tulip different from other varieties. If you have any pictures of the flower while it is open, I think it would be a plus to put that up as well. Good luck, and don't give up!

debinoz
11-11-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm agreeing with everyone else. I'd want a smaller quantity and to know what color I would be getting, even if it just said "mixed" and included what colors you might get.

figaro
11-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Thank you all so much for your opinions! I am feeling the same way, I think 500 is too much for the average person on ebay. I also think he needs to put a picture of the actual crate of bulbs along with the picture of the flower that is on there already.

This is something that we both want to do and while the price overall is a good one, I think that if he still wants to do this, we need to sell them maybe in bags of 50 or so.

Again, thank you all for you opinions!!:muah::thumbsup:

Silver
11-11-2007, 11:58 AM
I agree with everyone else. A smaller quantity and more pictures would entice even me (who doesn't know much about gardening) to buy some and try planting them. If I could grow "professional florist quality" tulips in my own yard, I would really like that.

Also, maybe some planting/growing info would be nice. More info to let me know if this is something I could even do.

How do tulips do in Florida anyway? :)

Becky Morgan
11-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Sell me 25 or 50 of them, even in mixed colors, and it'
s better.

Oh...tulips and Florida? According to Organic Gardening, they don't bloom well without very cold winters. (I can testify to that; we get great tulips when the weather gets cold and none in warm winters here in Ohio.) This year I'm taking their hint, potting my tulips up and keeping them in the freezer after they cold-root in the fridge for a while. For one thing, the deer won't chow down on them, and for another, they should get cold enough to take off nicely. It worked with a few last year, so I'm fairly confident.

Jan in CA
11-11-2007, 06:00 PM
How do tulips do in Florida anyway? :)

We've tried here in southern CA and I think they bloomed once and it wasn't the best looking flower. The ground doesn't get cold enough here. I've heard you can put them in the refrigerator for x amount of time and the plant them, but it's just too much of a hastle. :shrug: I love them though!

figaro
11-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Yep, thats what happens when you live there. When we were there, I think he planted black (ok, dark dark purple) ones and since the ground does not get cold enough, they only bloom once. Although our old neighbor loves that she proved us wrong with Casa Blanca Lilies, those bloom every year and are getting taller to boot! It was nice to look out our window and see those growing.

figaro
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Well, because of all of your responses, my husband decided that selling 500 bulbs at a time to the general public won't really work:noway:. Hopefully this weekend he will bring home plastic net bags and I get to bag them up 25 to a bag and he will have more colors also. He is one of those guys who at first does not agree with all of it, then 2 days later he says they were right:lol:.

We will also have to work on the description too, anyone know how to get a background on the description part of the page? That may help a little bit. We will make sure we include planting depths and all that too.

Just wanted to thank you all again!:cheering: