PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo circs at walmart.

Foxyie
11-10-2007, 05:30 PM
hi there. i wanted to tell everyone about the horrible bamboo needles i recently returned to walmart.

i don't have any and i wanted a pair of circulars for hats.

so i bought a pair and tried to use them.

while i liked the feel of the bamboo and the cable seemed fine, the joins were really bad. i could not move the yarn from the cable onto the needle at all!

the straight ones may be fine to work with but the circs were not!

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 05:35 PM
They were Clovers? Someone mentioned on another board that they may be 2nds and not as well made.

Foxyie
11-10-2007, 05:41 PM
no they were not clovers. thanks for asking , i forgot to add that.. they were just generic brand i guess. i don't remember seeing a name on them at all.

jennylozano
11-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I think I saw them last time I was at Walmart and had a flash back of the time when I bought a pair of US 13 circular (wood ones or some kind of wood imitation) at Joann for less than $2. After two rounds the cable broke form the needles and that was the end of it. The ones at walmart did not look much better to me! Sorry they in fact did not work good for you.

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I bought some of joanns $2 size 17 circs, but in plastic. Didn't last too long, but the cord pulled out of the tips.

Becky Morgan
11-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I haven't had them break, but they are rough at the join. (Which reminds me...I still haven't put the Teflon tape on them, and we just got a new roll when the heater needed fixed.) They're not Clovers; they're darker, rougher and the points are sharper. I haven't tried the straight needles yet, but I would bet they're about like unfinished homemade ones. The only reason I bought mine was that I needed short 8s and the nearest yarn store is 25 miles away. They work *okay*, just not great.

suzeeq
11-10-2007, 10:37 PM
The board where I got the info about the Clovers being 2nds, also had a post which mentioned Lantern Moon needles at walmart. Perhaps these are them and also 2nds?

sinistral_needler
11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I was annoyed when I went there this afternoon and found that my walmart does not stock any sock needles at all. I get more and more peeved at that place all the time!

mrs.hre
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
i see you are making hats, i am looking for a pattern for hats that have a brim like a baseball cap looks like but the brim not so big. do you have any? thanks

debinoz
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
I bought a pair of them and I think they're great. I didn't have any problems with the join, although I did take sandpaper to the tips to make them sharper. I've knit a couple of sleeves and 4 or 5 hats on them.

CountryKitty
11-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I was annoyed when I went there this afternoon and found that my walmart does not stock any sock needles at all. I get more and more peeved at that place all the time!

Last month I was in a WM looking for embroidery thread and they had NONE. It had sold out and they hadn't even reordered (the lady behind the counter had no idea when they would be restocking if at all).

At a different WM last week the clerk said she thought that the fabric and crafts area were going to be downsized.

It really shocked me because I live in a very rural and rather economically depressed area where a lot of people do handicrafts to provide for themselves as well as for enjoyment. We also have an awful lot of Amish and Mennonite here too, who do all of their own sewing and crotchet and knitting.

I don't know what they're thinking!

KnitClickChick
11-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Don't be discouraged from using babmoo circs. I have several pairs of Clover bamboo circs and I love them! Every time I go to WM I get more annoyed with them. Lower prices shouldn't have to mean lower quality. A lot of their stuff is really garbage. I would love to shop elsewhere, but WM has pretty much knocked out all other stores in the area.

Lisa R.
11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
At a different WM last week the clerk said she thought that the fabric and crafts area were going to be downsized.

For a year or so, I've been hearing rumors of Wal-Mart completely closing down all their fabric departments. Apparently some have already closed down. But it seems that folks have been writing to them, and some are saving their fabric departments.

I don't know the whole story, and there are conflicting reports, but it does seem a lot of folks depend on Wal-Mart's fabric dept, and it would seem a shame to lose that entirely.

miccisue
11-11-2007, 09:25 AM
For a year or so, I've been hearing rumors of Wal-Mart completely closing down all their fabric departments. Apparently some have already closed down. But it seems that folks have been writing to them, and some are saving their fabric departments.

I don't know the whole story, and there are conflicting reports, but it does seem a lot of folks depend on Wal-Mart's fabric dept, and it would seem a shame to lose that entirely.
Sad as it is, in my area WalMart is the only "fabric store" in town. It's almost the same way with yarn. We have a LYS, but if you work, it's almost impossible to get there to shop, and their supply is very limited.
JMHO, but it really ticks me off when WalMart comes to town, chases out all the small businesses (we used to have independent fabric stores, but they couldn't compete), and then decides to get rid of the very department that is the only one that carries that type of merchandise in 40-50 miles. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emmaknits
11-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I bought my circs at Hobby Lobby, they work nicely and are made of bamboo.So are my regular needles.

MrsDavis3
11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Lower prices shouldn't have to mean lower quality.

Perhaps not in Utopia, but this is the real world. The only way lower prices can be achieved without lower quality is to cheat someone, somewhere. If WalMart sells something at lower prices with the same quality you might find elsewhere, it's because they are cheating someone somewhere. Usually it's the foreign sweatshop worker who put the thing together.

dustinac
11-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Last month I was in a WM looking for embroidery thread and they had NONE. It had sold out and they hadn't even reordered (the lady behind the counter had no idea when they would be restocking if at all).

I know of 3 wal-marts that put their embroidery thread on clearance...it was going for 10 cents :oo: mom and me may have cleaned out those 3 stores...

Some wal-marts are getting rid of their craft sections just depends on how much they sale... Mom has 2 close to her and one got to keep and one didn't...the one that didn't doesn't have any close crafting stores near it...the one that did has lots near it...we are keeping ours cause they say they sell plenty here...they are cutting back though...that section gets smaller and smaller everytime I go in there...I'm trying to get a bedazzler at the lowest possible price :teehee: it's become a game now...ohh down 3 more dollars let's see how much it is in another week...:oo:

I have seen the circs but haven't tried them...

BlueEyezz
11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
One of our Wal-marts (I live in a community where there are THREE!!!) completely redesigned themselves and got turned into a Super Walmart. And now there is only one VERY small section of arts and crafts. They don't even have any yarn. NONE. Not that I'm going to buy it there, as it sounds like everyone is having issues with their stuff. :p

suzeeq
11-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Our town has 2, the newer one is a Superwm and didn't have a big craft section from the start. The older one is smaller and has a bigger department. It hasn't changed size or inventory in the year plus that I've lived here. There's a Hobby Lobby and Hancocks that are closer to the one with the larger department.

multicrafty
11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Sorry to hear that the circulars didn't work out for you.

I guess my hubby got tired of me complaining about not having any 16" circulars to make hats and got me a big ol' hoopla of 16" bamboo circulars for my birthday back in September. Came in sizes 0-13. I was a little skeptical of using them at first and a few weeks ago I was knitting with the size 6 and it split where the cable meets the needle. So I kindly sent the lady a email saying that it broke and even offering to send her a picture so she knew I wasn't trying to get a free set of needles. They have a lifetime warranty on them and she replaced my needle at no charge to me. I also purchased the DPN set from her that came with the most awesome (sharpest) pair of scissors and a whole other hoopla of things. So far (and I've used the other sizes for various projects) I haven't had any other problems. They are awesome! :thumbsup:

As far as the Walmart, there is an online petition to sign (don't know the link for it or you can call 1-800-WALMART, is what the lady at the craft section told me) and I signed it a while ago but it doesn't seem to do any good because alot of WM are closing and becoming a "Life Celebration" department with things for scrapbooking and what not.

suzeeq
11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Isn't scrapbooking so last year....?

Heeeheheee.. Maybe it's to compete with the Martha Stewart line of scrapbook materials exclusive to Michaels.

sinistral_needler
11-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Heeeheheee.. Maybe it's to compete with the Martha Stewart line of scrapbook materials exclusive to Michaels.

Oh My Gosh Suzeeq~my girlfriends are so completely bonkers over scrapbooking. STILL! I can't believe it. I am the only one in my group that knits, although two of the gals told me that they want to learn and that I should teach them. Ha!

bethany
11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
To Mrs. hre Re: hats...Son of Stitch and Bitch book has one on the cover...is that what you are looking for?

iwfinley
11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Just FYI, this week JoAnn (at least herei n Ohio) has their Clover bamboo needles on sale for 30% off, plus their ad had a 10% your total purchase coupon which was good for sale and regular price stuff. So, I bought two pairs of straights, one circular and one pack of dpns -- 3 of those are all in the same size to make my son's Harry Potter scarf and hat set from Charmed knits on, the larger set of straights was for a throw I'm making my husband.

multicrafty
11-12-2007, 04:57 PM

HA! My cousin scrapbooks and does beautiful work. I'm just not that into. Besides, I figure with knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery, and jewelry making, I have enough crafts on my plate. Plus I'm very septable (sp?) to paper cuts.

Jitendra
11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
I've sort of noticed lately that some other arts-and-crafts stuff has been encroaching on the knitting aisle at my WM, so I hope I'm not about to lose my best source of knitting stuff. You know, in Ottawa there aren't that many knitting stores. Of the two most notable, one of them only stocks the stuff they spin themselves or buy from other independents, and the other one is ridiculously high-priced.
WM is the only place I can get needles cheaply (I don't care how nice they are, I'm not paying more than $10 for some sticks), and the only place I could get red heart or bernat, or the other name-brand yarns.

suzeeq
11-12-2007, 11:13 PM
You can get some good deals on ebay.ca

Foxyie
11-13-2007, 01:15 AM
here is a picture of the needles.. no clear brand and everything was printed in 2 languages

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/foxyie/11-11-07_1314.jpg

MrsDavis3
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM

PITY ME! I have a bin full of scrapbooking supplies and two gorgeous albums, which I bought 3 years ago, with which I have done NOTHING.

Plantgoddess+
11-14-2007, 02:22 PM
I just bought size 13 bamboo circulars at Michaels. They are Clovers and are my first bamboo. I think I like them. They aren't as slippery as metal, but I'm not having any problems with the yarn not sliding onto the needle from the cable. They were $10.99 though, but I had a 50% off coupon. I hadn't realized until I joined KD that Michaels even carried knitting supplies. Thanks to you all for that info.

suzeeq
11-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Yeah, Michael's always tucks it's yarn in the far back corner of their stores.