PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Superwash?

mommyto2presidents
11-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Anyone know where I can get some relatively inexpensively? It would be even better (but highly unlikely) if someone knows if anywhere does yarn co-ops or wholesale bulk orders...

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

brittyknits
11-10-2007, 10:47 PM
This is for your little hats, right? There are the more expensive options, which are Brown Sheep Superwash, which is something like $8 a skein, I think, and I don't know the yardage. Then there's Mission Falls 1824 wool, and that's about 85 yards per skein, for around $7. But for the 1/2 that price and twice the yarn-- so 1/4 the cost!-- you can use Lion Brand Woolease, a wool/acryllic mix, which is machine washable, and it has the exact same gauge-- 18 sts by 24 rows per 4" square. If you want pure wool, then you would need to go with the Brown Sheep or Mission Falls, I think. But if you would go with acryllic, then the Red Heart stuff would work well and is of course washable. And I wouldn't be surprised if you DON'T have questions for these!:) After doing pants, you'll be able to do these hats in your sleep! By the way, the patterns calls for 2 different size needles, but I ignore that and just use the larger ones, the ones you use for the "crown".

phisch
11-10-2007, 10:52 PM
You can look up Knitpicks site (http://knitpicks.com/machine+washable+knitting+yarn_YL300104.html). I linked to their machine washable yarns page.

redwitch
11-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Remember that many wools do not have the word Superwash! on the label, look at the washing instructions and if they say machine-washable, that's superwash.

knittingrookie
11-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Take a look at Cascade 200 Superwash as well. Great yardage and relatively inexpensive superwash yarn.