PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cat vs stash problem!

CountryKitty
11-11-2007, 08:16 PM
:waah:

I was given 2 large bags of yarn--nothing fancy, probably all came from Wallyworld or target.

When I opened up the bags and started sorting It all smelled like cat pee!

Please tell me that if I make something with this stuff the smell will wash out!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-11-2007, 08:22 PM
depends.

what i'd do for now is put in an arm and hammer dryer sheet and tie the bags back up tightly. that'll take care of most of the smell. I'd also go and wash it before using it (yarn with cat pee on it is HORRIBLE... i threw away 2 skeins from my son's sweater because one of our cats decided to be a vindictive wench).

Now, TIde will take out mildew, but to me, tide doesn't make things smell clean... I use the ALL with stainlifter and it takes it all out nicely (odor, dirt, etc... i have 7 and 9 year old boys so it does get tested on a regular basis).

vaknitter
11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Personally, as someone who is allergic to cats I would say the yarn is not useable. My only experiene with cat urine is the apt I moved into that despite a carpet change still smelled like cat pee and my cousins comforter that had to be chucked b/c after washing/drying 2x it still smelled.

Becky Morgan
11-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Bag it, wash it, spray it down with either Urine Gone, Nature's Miracle or Febreze, let it dry, and see if it needs washed again, using any softener you think it needs. . It should be fine after that. (I have used Oxi Clean on a lot of acrylic yarn my cats have kidnapped. It works, too.) Usually, if I find one of them has taken off with a skein and --ahem--marked it, I rinse it in cold water until the water runs clear, then wash and spray it.

Bonus: stiff acrylic loses all the sizing when you do that. Much softer to work with if that's important to you.

hocns
11-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Personally, if it's not good yarn, I wouldn't bother. Cat pee is hell to get out. Even though I am not in favour of throwing stuff out if it's usable, even I have my limits. Good yarn I would rescue.

CountryKitty
11-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Y'all are AWESOME! I never thought of 'bagging' it to wash BEFORE it had been knitted!

*scampers off, giggling insanely while gathering up pillo cases from the closets*

knitncook
11-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Depends on what the fiber content is and how long the cat pee has been on the yarn. You could try doing a bath of the yarn and then reball it and see if it helps. I know I couldn't knit with yarn that smelled of cat pee (or any other strong odor.)

Becky Morgan
11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
It also might depend on whether the cats actually peed on the yarn or whether it was just stored in a closet where the litter box happened to be. If it's the latter, it's almost certainly salvageable (and it may only be the bag it's in that stinks. I had that happen once!)

Next time you're in a dollar store, buy yourself a couple of lingerie wash bags. They're zippered nylon netting. I usually hank the yarn, stuff it into the bag and put a couple of big rubber bands around it to keep it from escaping into a tangle. You *can* wash whole skeins, too, although you'll probably have to re-roll them afterward. It helps with all unpleasant smells, not just cat pee. Babies leak. Stuff gets spilled. Lately, it seems Great-grandma was right: fresh air and sunlight help a *lot*, whether the newly washed item was really dirty or just musty. Vinegar really does neutralize the ammonia in old urine, be it cat or human.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
what i do to wash whole skeins is put them in a nylon stocking and put a knot in the top... works really well.

GinnyG
11-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Cat pee is FOREVER:whoosh:

nanacanada
11-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Unfortuneatly,I think you are right

tootie44
11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
If it is not good yarn anyway I would throw it out! Cat pee is the WORST!

luvmeowers
11-12-2007, 06:52 PM
White vinegar is the cat pee cure-all. Toss some in the wash in addition to whatever detergent you prefer. For items that can't go in the washer (don't ask me how I know this works on car upholstery), just use a spray bottle to spritz it. This has always worked for me. It even saved my down comforter. I have never had anything continue to stink after the vinegar treatment.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

AnnaT
11-12-2007, 11:53 PM
White vinegar is the cat pee cure-all. Toss some in the wash in addition to whatever detergent you prefer. For items that can't go in the washer (don't ask me how I know this works on car upholstery), just use a spray bottle to spritz it. This has always worked for me. It even saved my down comforter. I have never had anything continue to stink after the vinegar treatment.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

This works on carpet, too. My cat Miki loves to go on cloth (I have never understood why). I can't leave anything on the floor where he can reach it. Once he went on a towel my husband had left on the floor and it soaked through to the carpet. So I know the vinegar works. However, the urine had only been there a couple of minutes, which is critical, IMHO. But it looks like several members here have given you some ideas to try.

My worst cat pee story is how one time, I had a box of books I planned to take to the used bookstore for trade-in credit. One of my cats (don't know which one, I had two then, but I suspected Miki!!) decided to go in the box. I didn't notice and a couple of days later when I turned in the box of books the cashier told me he couldn't accept them!!! I wanted to die of embarrassment. I don't know why I didn't notice.

luvmeowers
11-13-2007, 07:53 AM
This works on carpet, too. My cat Miki loves to go on cloth (I have never understood why). I can't leave anything on the floor where he can reach it. Once he went on a towel my husband had left on the floor and it soaked through to the carpet. So I know the vinegar works. However, the urine had only been there a couple of minutes, which is critical, IMHO. But it looks like several members here have given you some ideas to try.

When Stanley went in the car, it was about 6 hours before I was able to get the vinegar on it. Even with the car sitting on a hot day, the stink never came back. There is something about the vinegar that counteracts the ammonia in the urine (I think!). It's useful for areas where kitty keeps going because they can smell the old spot.

Becky Morgan
11-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Yep, vinegar is acid and it neutralizes the alkaline ammonia. Not only cat pee has ammonia in it, but theirs tends to be very concentrated because they used to be desert animals (also why they're prone to kidney problems.)

Expensive, but neat solution if you need to leave your knitting bag (not loose yarn) around your cats: buy a small spray can of Feliway and "mark" the bag with it. It smells like the happy-cat cheek scent they rub on things, and they won't usually scratch what smells that good to them. They may rub their faces on it, but they won't claw the bag or dig the yarn out of it. Humans can't smell it once the alcohol base evaporates.

CountryKitty
11-15-2007, 08:55 PM
WooHOOO! It worked! I grabbed a couple pair of pantyhose out of a drawer, stuffed a couple skeins in each leg and tossed them in the wash with some vinegar. Came out nice and clean! My son has already laid claim to some lion brand homespun/handspun(?) for me to make into a rainy day scarf for him.

B^D

luvmeowers
11-16-2007, 09:56 AM
:woohoo: Yay!:woohoo: