PDA

View Full Version : weight/yardage issues

Lady Violet
11-11-2007, 10:47 PM
i have some rowan felted tweed (50g/191yd) that i want to make some fingerless gloves out of. the pattern i want to loosely base them on uses cleckheaton country silk (50g/105yd). they are both DK. why is the yardage per 50 gram ball so different? i'm trying to figure out if i'll need another ball. i'll probably go back and get another one anyway, because i'm going to add a cable. i would just like to know why they had to go and make this so complicated. :teehee: i just want to knit some gloves - not do a whole lot of math conversions. there's a reason why i didn't get very far in math after high school. :roflhard:

hocns
11-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Different kinds of fibre weigh different amounts. Wool is fairly light, whereas silk and cotton are heavier. Therefore 50 g of wool will give you more yardage than 50 g of silk. Think of the size difference between a pound of feathers and a pound of sand. The sand will likely fit in a small bowl, while the feathers might fill a garbage bag. Many people go by the yardage when subbing yarn.

Lady Violet
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
thanks. i figured it was something like that. it just seemed like a huge amount of yardage difference. if i remember correctly, i figured that the pattern took about 126 yards. even with an added cable on each, 191 yards should be plenty. :happydance: