PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm ready....

jess_hawk
11-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Today looking through the dyed yarns on this board, I found myself thinking, "I want to try this."
I don't have much money, and no space so its going to have to be cheap food dyes, either Kool Aid or Wilton's for now. Kool Aid packets are incredibly cheap, but I know I can get Wilton's cheap too because we sell it where I work and I get a discount.

I haven't seen as much about using Wilton's as a fiber dye as I have Kool Aid. Does Wilton's require acid to be added to it in order to fix it to the fiber? I haven't decided what to dye first but I think it will probably be merino.
Can anyone give me some directions on using Wilton's? Compare the two food dyes for use on wool? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
And of course, I promise to post my finished yarn!!!

Julie
11-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Yes, you will definitely need acid -- plain white vinegar works great. I've had great luck dyeing with Wilton's but you do have to watch out as some of the colors separate -- purple is one I can think of off the top of my head.

It's much like dyeing with kool-aid...you just need to disolve a small amount of the color in hot water and then you can pour it on/paint with it. Some people soak the yarn in vinegar water before painting, others soak in plain water and then add the vinegar to the dyestock...hopefully someone else will chime in here because I can't remember which I did...I switched to acid dyes last year. :D I really liked learning with Wilton's though...a little unpredictable, but much better color choices than kool-aid, IMO.

mullerslanefarm
11-13-2007, 03:00 PM
I add vinegar to the dye pot and soak fiber in plain water approximately the same temperature as the water in dye pot

jess_hawk
11-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks to both of you. I'll have to experiment!!! :)