PDA

View Full Version : The Boye Needle Master Kit 7312 Needle System

knitAbikini
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey Guys~
I was wondering if anyone owns or knows about the Boye NeedleMaster Interchangeable Needle Kit. I just bought one on eBay and an getting a bit nervous becuase I need cable sizes 12" 14" and 16" and it touts 20" 24" 29" and 36" but also states that you can create unlimited custome sizes. It looks like they made a couple different models of this so I don't know what exactly I'm getting...hmm. Thanks for your input!
here's the kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190172693284&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

knittingrookie
11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
You can take a look here:
http://www.wrights.com/wrights/products/catalog/boyeline/knitmates_accs.htm

I think the package comes with cables to create 20", 24", 29", 36" circulars, but they do have something called Knitmates cables that you can purchase separately.

suzeeq
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
The needle tips are about 4" each, so that would add 8" to each cord. Hobby lobby sells the pieces separately and their cord lengths are 12", 16 and 21" length. The full set also has a 14" cord, and includes a joining piece to combine cords to make the longer needles.

sinistral_needler
11-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Sue is correct about the length of the 3 cords. There are 2 joiners, so if you needed a really long cord, you can do it.

I have a needle master kit and I really like it. The joins on the cord are slightly bulky, especially if your tension is tight. Overall, I would reccomend it!!

knitAbikini
11-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Okay, so it sounds like 20" circular is the smallest size I will be knitting on, with a 12" cord and 8" needles, is that correct?

sinistral_needler
11-12-2007, 05:39 PM
That is correct, which is why the auction lists them as 20in, 24in, 29in, 36in lengths - the measurements include the cords and the needles.

Jeremy
11-12-2007, 06:02 PM
If you don't have the cords you want you can buy more from the factory fairly inexpensively.

suzeeq
11-12-2007, 11:03 PM
But they only have the same sizes available, nothing shorter than the 12" cord.

knitAbikini
11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
That seems strange, though because isn't it best to knit a hat on 16" circular for a 20" head?....And especially for a baby you need something way smaller than even that....why don't they include smaller sizes in this kit? Or does this system really cover a wide range of projects, am I just spazzing out over nothing? :-P

Lisa R.
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't know about Boye, but Knitpicks options explains that the interchangeable tips don't work well at sizes smaller than than the 24 inch because the tips have to be so much smaller to make the circle (i.e., with 4 inch tips, that's 8 inches of needle, so a 12 inch circular would then only have a 4 inch cord, and couldn't bend into a circle. Knitpicks sells fixed circulars in smaller sizes than their interchangeables. I haven't checked, but perhaps Boye does the same thing.

I got a set of the Boye on sale a month or so ago, for my dd for Christmas. I hope they're decent needles. I love my knitpicks, but I'm not spending that much on a 10yo.!

Jan in CA
11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Yes, you need a 16 inch for a hat unless you do Magic Loop or the the two circ method. I don't have or like Boye so I don't know their size range. You might have to get a few separate 16 in circs for hats.

suzeeq
11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
You can use longer circs for hats by using 2 of them or Magic Loop. I first bought a 12" cord, but because of the tip length it was too hard to knit with even back and forth. Maybe it would have been easier in a smaller needle size, but because of the tips at the ends of the cords for screwing in the tips are inflexible, the 12" isn't really practical for use.

knitAbikini
11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Lisa, that helps! Well, then can I knit a hat for a 20" head on 20" needles without stretching it?

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks Lisa, that helps! Well, then can I knit a hat for a 20" head on 20" needles without stretching it?

No, it doesn't work that way. The shortest cord length in the Denise set is 17 in and I found it too long for some hats.

You can use two circs with the same size needles and do the two circ method. Or put on a longer cord and do magic loop. OR buy some 16 in needles just for hats. That's what I did with my Options. I bought several 16 in circs in sizes I use most for hats.

suzeeq
11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
The Denise set isn't the Boye set, whose shortest cord is 12". Yes, you can knit a 20" hat on at 20" needle, when you knit the tips are crossed over so you're effectively only using 18" or so. The CO may be a little tight because it won't quite measure 20" until the sts are knit so you'd have to stretch the sts or knit a row or two flat, then join. After the first row you shouldn't have any problem.

Lisa R.
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM

I'm not sure--I've started collecting 16" needles in hat sizes so I don't have to worry about it. And I have a hat OTN now, but needed to do another quickly before that one was done, so I'm using 2 circs for that one.

bip
11-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes, you need a 16 inch for a hat unless you do Magic Loop or the the two circ method. I don't have or like Boye so I don't know their size range. You might have to get a few separate 16 in circs for hats.

You won't really be able to do Magic Loop w/Boye, the cables are not nearly flexible enough. I did it for this project (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54745504@N00/1626444722/)and it was miserable. And that was with regular Boyes with 30" cables. If I had used my Boye interchangeables, I wouldn't have had a cable long enough for ML, and if I tried to use the joins to make it long enough, the joint would have been in the way - not to mention that with all that stress the joint and the tips would have been coming loose every round.

I like my Boye interchangeables just fine, but I do feel the need for a second set of IC's, I'm thinking of going w/Options when I have budget (maybe next year when DH finishes law school...)

I can definitely understand why people don't like Boyes. With the exception of my set, I inherited all my other Boyes from my mom, so they are sentimental. Otherwise I wouldn't put up with the stiffness of the cables or the dullness of the tips (though the IC set is much sharper than the individual needles that I have, and I don't know if new Boye circs are sharper than the ones my mom gave me).

suzeeq
11-15-2007, 12:43 PM
I use regular Boye's in Magic loop. The 29" ones on sleeves, and I did a hat on one too.

knitAbikini
11-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Okay, so what is the Boye Needlemaster system good for? What do you knit on these monsters? I got it just for hats, but it looks like that's not gonna happen!
(I did buy a 16" circular for this hat I'm knitting on US3's) Thanks for the info!
BIP: that baby hat you did is too cute!! Great job!

MAmaDawn
11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I love mine! You can knit anything that's flat on them. I prefer them to straights cuz they make the work lighter. They are good for things like bags, blankets, afghans.

I got mine off ebay too... love them!

sinistral_needler
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
YOU have to determine how you can use the needles you purchase. Some people may be able to use them to make some things and others may not be able to make the same things on the same needles. Just my opinion! :)

knitAbikini
11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I love mine! You can knit anything that's flat on them. I prefer them to straights cuz they make the work lighter. They are good for things like bags, blankets, afghans.

I got mine off ebay too... love them!

Anything that's flat on circs? How do you mean?

sinistral_needler
11-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Simply put .. anything that you would knit on straight needles .. a sweater, a scarf, or anything else that is not circular (so it is 'flat') .. you can do on circular needles. Make sense? Socks and hats (and anything else done in the round) could probably be done with them too.

knitAbikini
11-15-2007, 04:41 PM
How?

sinistral_needler
11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Back and forth just like on straight needles. You would turn the circular needles around when you get to the end of a row, just like you turn the straight needles around.

starburst
11-15-2007, 04:50 PM
I prefer circs because I would rather by a set of circulars than a set of circs and straights. Why buy straights when you can do the samething on needles you already have?

suzeeq
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Okay, so what is the Boye Needlemaster system good for? What do you knit on these monsters? I got it just for hats, but it looks like that's not gonna happen!
(I did buy a 16" circular for this hat I'm knitting on US3's) Thanks for the info!
BIP: that baby hat you did is too cute!! Great job!

It's good in that you have a variety of needle sizes all at once without buying individual needles. You can use the long ones or put cords together if you need the size for blankets. As for making hats, yes you can, it may be difficult with the 12" cords, but you can use longer ones in a Magic Loop, or a variation I use where you only pull out the loop on one side instead of both. That's how I can knit sleeves and hats on 24 and 29" needles. Or you can rig up 2 needles and knit in the round too. You would put a needle tip of the size you need on one end of 2 cords, and a smaller tip on the other end. Only use the right size end for the actual knitting, it doesn't matter if the other end is smaller.

knitAbikini
11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Wow...kind of sounds like rocket science right now, but it vaguely makes sense. The package of the needles arrived today, so maybe when I get it out to play with I'll read back over suzeeq's accomplished understanding of the needle system and how to get what you want out of it! :)
I've got to tell you though, I don't think I will EVER knit a blanket (watch- I will end up knitting just that!;-P) I do want to knit a sweater for myself, though, and tank tops and ooo, my project that I got my forum name from that I have YET to complete!!- a bikini! And a dress would be fun, skirts, hats...I hope this system becomes useful to me!

suzeeq
11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Baby blankets aren't too big, about 30-36" across, but you might want to put a couple cords together for that.

sorantes123
11-18-2007, 06:12 AM
I have two sets of Boyes and one very old Susan Bates one. I prefer the Boyes to the SBs, the difference being metal needles as opposed to plastic ones. I use them for everything these days, I rarely use straights any more. Though I am putting those new ones from KP on my wish list. I have converted most all my straight patterns to circular with no seams unless absolutely necessary. What won't fit on my circs go on my DPNs

msmelody
11-18-2007, 09:00 AM
I bought the Boye Needlemaster from a KHer and I love them. If anyone wants to sell another set, please let me know.:p I just wish they came in smaller sizes.