PDA

View Full Version : For the Love of Yarn ... weights, sizes & Yardage

wednesday
11-12-2007, 04:27 PM
OK I suck at this, there just is no other way to put it.

I love yarn :aww: I keep buying yarn because of texture and color, right now I am obsessive about hand dyed variegated. I found a seller that has the most gorgeous colors but her yardage/ weight is funky IMO.

Is there a chart that goes beyond the basic five..... in other words since weight is irrelevant in most cases switching between fibers is there a way to actually come up with a way to figure out gauge and yardage from weight and yardage ?

I am still new to the board so I am not sure if we can post other sources, but the price of this sellers yarn is fabulous and fits into my budget, I adore the colors just can't seem to get the hang of conversion :doh:

Jan in CA
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, weight is not irrelevant, it can make a huge difference in a pattern. ;)

Custom yarns are hard to figure out beyond what the seller tells you unless you do a gauge swatch. Even then it will vary depending on needle size.

Is that what you are asking?

wednesday
11-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I guess I did not make myself clear or perhaps I even tried to confuse myself :???:

I did not mean weight as in thickness or gauge but actual physical weight as in grams or ounces. My problem is that some yarns are given with gauge for a given needle size and physical weight of the yarn other's are needle size, gauge and yardage.

I guess I wished we could easily search patterns by yarn size and yardage :wink: that way I could look at the yarn at hand ( because it is staring back at me and winking ) and figure out what could be made with the yardage at hand. Like if it's this thick you need this size needle to get this gauge, of course that would mean that yarn vendors would all have to agree and come to some kind of standard. I am not holding my breath, but I do want to gain more knowledge in the great mysteries of yarn selection and more specifically substitution.

Most of this of course is due to my own short comings and weakness when it comes to resisting yarn. Unfortunately my one and only LYS is a little too pricey for me plus bless their hearts with the exception of a few really high end fibers most of the stock is rather boring and blah. I would feel better if the stock was more inspiring than I could force myself to save and then splurge :cool:

Right now I have 650 yds of Rayon Chenille in a luscious red pink copper colorway that is begging to be a shawl or scarf, needle gauge is given at 4-6 for 6-9 stitches per inch. Of course I don't just want to knit a plain one either, IMO the yarn needs something with zing or a least some zip :lol: