PDA

View Full Version : No more blessed cushions?

Ironlung21
11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I have this knitting friend (and I know that sounds like I am pretending this is about someone else when really it is about me - but trust me I am not) who is the most perfect knitter I know. She has been knitting for years, has excellent taste in yarns and colours and knows all the techniques. Her work is fantastic - you almost cant tell that it is hand made.

SHE IS DRIVING ME NUTS.

She only ever knits cushions and scarves. Rectangles. In stocking (ette) stitch. Over and over again. You go to her house and you have to move mountains of perfectly knitted cushions before you can sit down. This cant be right, can it? All that talent spent going backwards and forwards in rectangles.....

There must be some ideas for projects out there in knittinghelp world that can tempt her away from the way of the blessed cushion? Please?

cftwo
11-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Does she knit them because she likes to knit them, or because that's the only thing she knows how to knit? Perhaps you can coax her out of her comfort zone by getting her some patterns for scarves or cushions that are not plain stockinette stitch. Or perhaps some simple afghan patterns, since it sounds like she makes a lot of flat things.

GiddyKnitter
11-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Perhaps she has a cushion fettish!!

marykz
11-13-2007, 06:34 PM
what about things that take lots of stockinette but do something else with them? I'm thinking shawl, shrug or simple tank tops?

Or maybe some of the patterns from the one skein books? (one skein by leigh radford or 101 one skein wonders by anita durant: I've heard there is a new one, 101 designer one skein wonders)

maybe she is uncomfortable reading patterns? maybe one of the cool free patterns from the tab above?

but if she loves cushions, and they make her happy, and change would totally stress her out, I'd say leave her be. Maybe point her to some websites and see what she decides todo.... or bring your own cool projects to show her how they work?

Or set her up with an etsy shop and take a commission... ;)

sboehm1977
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Maybe if you were to start a project with her and work on it together?? and maybe even a project that you may require her help to complete. You did say she knew it all and did it perfect. Make her feel needed for more than a cushion. She may even be presuded to give the already existing cushions away as christmas presents for family or charity.

Then again maybe she justs likes having the finished project.
Some hate doing long projects because they loose intrest.:wink: