PDA

View Full Version : Circular needle sz. question

chie96
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Good evening! I want to knit an afghan for DH for Christmas (I think). I only have 29" circulars. The pattern calls for 36" circulars. I am fairly new to all of this - if I go ahead and use 29", am I asking for trouble? What I don't want to do is have to go out and buy every circular needle in every length because I am working on different projects. I hoped that by picking a few pairs in 29" I might avoid that, but I am scared to cast on 182 sts if 29"s simply aren't going to work.

Any thoughts?

Ingrid
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
I think 182 stitches will fit on the 29" circular.

This is an instance when an interchangeable set is a great investment. Cord not long enough? Change it!

For years I didn't think I'd need a set, but I bought the Options set from KnitPicks and it has really come in handy.

knitgal
11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
It really depends. I am one of those people that goes out and gets new needles for every project since I am trying to build up my stash. I am currently knitting an afghan on a 29" circular and I have 141 stitches on it comfortably, but 41 more? It could be a bit of a stretch.

chie96
11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
TY both! I have added the Options interchangeable set to my Christmas wish-list! They look great!!! FWIW I went ahead and CO the 182 sts and think it's going to be OK...but I can tell that the 36" would've been better.