PDA

View Full Version : Sock yarn for warm weather?

dturner
11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
I am a beginning knitter, and I have just made my first pair of socks. I live in the Southeast, and although we do have cold weather here, wool really isn't practical for most of the year. I did an internet search for sock yarn, and it all seems to be wool or a blend of wool and nylon. I found some sport weight yarn at Knit Picks that is made of cotton and rayon. I think it is 60/30. Would that fiber content work for socks? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Indygirl
11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I would think Socka Cotton Yarn would be nice for southeast. I have made socks with it. It is very soft and washes up like a dream. Hope this helps you.

jpenguin
11-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Okay, socks are a major part of why I started Knitting. I just think it is cool to make your own socks. I am also from the Southeast and if you spend most of your time inside you are right, wool or a wool blend can be too warm sometimes. I have found a great new sock yarn by SouthWest Trading Company called Tofutsies. (www.soysilk.com (http://www.soysilk.com)) This yarn is a 50% Superwash Wool & 25% Soysilk Fibers, 22.5 % Cotton & 2.5% Chitin. I find this yarn to be just right for the not so cold weather of N. GA. I also have been making socks out of Cascade Yarns Fixation. It is a Cotton yarn that has some elastic in that help to hold the socks up. This yarn I wore in ankle socks some during early fall since I don't wear socks in this state from late April to early October. Just wear flip flops or sandles:hot: until cooler weather starts to set in. Just to warn you though, the Tofutsies yarn is very very addictive!:teehee: Once you start working with it and see all the different colors there are you just cannot have one pair out of that yarn! Proud owner of 6 pairs to date with Tofutsies.

Hope this helps you out in your quest for a lighter weight sock yarn.

suzeeq
11-12-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't wear socks in this state from late April to early October. Just wear flip flops or sandles until cooler weather starts to set in.

Heh. I don't wear socks in any state during these months! It's about to turn cold, 40-50 for highs, so I'll probably be dragging socks out this week. No, they're not handknit; I don't have the patience for thin yarn and needles.

jodstr2
11-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Tofutsies. (www.soysilk.com (http://www.soysilk.com)) This yarn is a 50% Superwash Wool & 25% Soysilk Fibers, 22.5 % Cotton & 2.5% Chitin.

:thumbsup: I recommend Tofutsies as well. I don't live in an especially hot climate, though we do get stretches of 90s and occasional 100s days in the summer. my feet get really hot but the socks I made with Tofutsies keeps them pretty comfortable.