PDA

View Full Version : (re)Starter's knitting kid

starburst
11-13-2007, 01:40 AM
I've been thinking lately about what I should get for my family for Christmas and I was doing ok until I got to my sister. Then it hit me--she knits! In fact, my sister was the one who taught me so I figured that I should get her something knitting related. I saw her this weekend and she saw some of my recent knitting purchases and FOs and I realized that she wanted to take up knitting again.

So here is my Christmas idea: a knitting kit with the odds and ends that she might need for future knitting projects. I was thinking that she might need/want the following things:

a knitting bag
stitch markers
little scissors or a clover cutter
tape measurer
tapestry needle

Is there anything else that you think is essential for a re-starting kit? I was thinking of throwing in a set of knitpicks circulars as well, but I need to figure out which sizes she has

starburst
11-13-2007, 01:43 AM
and by "kid" I mean kit haha

bree
11-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Maybe you could throw in some patterns she might like and yarn to use.

Debkcs
11-13-2007, 03:47 AM
You might see if Silver has some knitting holders left. Maybe one of the cute little lamb tape measures, or a skein or really nice yarn to make a scarf with.

By the way, where is FW, Washington? I lived in the Seattle area for sixteen years, and my brain won't come up with anything. Thanks.

Jaxhil
11-13-2007, 09:06 AM
What a great idea!

How about a row counter of some kind? I *love* mine, it comes in so handy that I have two, LOL. One of them locks so it doesn't get clicked accidentally. I believe I got it at Hobby Lobby.

I agree, a skein of some lovely yarn in her favorite color might be nice as well! Or maybe "The Knitter's Companion" book, by Vickie Square, that's small and very useful too.

Have fun putting the kit together!

knitgal
11-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Are you sure she doesn't have any of those things already? If she was a knitter, she may already have the basics. I would go for something like a really gorgeous pattern and some gorgeous yarn to go with it- something super soft and luxurious. No one can resist that!

GiddyKnitter
11-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Oh I wish I was your sister!!!

Becky Morgan
11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Gift card to LYS, JoAnn's, Michaels, etc.?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-13-2007, 10:37 AM
when i was at Borders they had a kit for $25... it's called "One Skein Wonders".... has needles, yarn, and the book in it.

Knitting_Guy
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
What about a set of the Harmony circs? As they're new she isn't likely to have them.

starburst
11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
My sister started knitting from kits that she saw in stores, so she doesn't have a whole lot of the little notions that she might need if she wanted to break away from kits (which she has told me she is attempting to do) and try something new and bigger.

FW = Federal Way. Ah the joys of living in a city named after it's biggest attraction--the free way that passes through it. hahah

I'll definitely have to look into a skein of yarn, some circs and a good pattern book. Thanks everyone!