PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift for mom who knits

sophiespal
11-13-2007, 03:04 AM
My mother is an experienced knitter (she knits sweaters, mittens, etc for her grandchildren).

What would make a nice gift for someone who knits?

thanks.

knitgal
11-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Well, a gift certificate to her local yarn store would be nice. Or just go in to a yarn store and ask them what they recommend. If you know what she likes to knit with (wool, acrylic, silk, merino) you could buy some of that. Another great gift is a knitting book, there are lots with children's patterns so she could knit some lovely things for the grandkids!

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-13-2007, 09:24 AM
If you sew- you could make her a needle roll to store her needles.

Help her organize her stash? Label the boxes w/ pieces of yarn inside on index cards.. listing yardage, weight, etc of each color/etc. Index cards could be on the outside front or top of the plastic storage containers. I sort my yarns by color families and type of yarn. All wools together/etc.
If you know that she loves to knit w/ cotton sugar and cream yarns.. (usually used for dishcloths) buy her lots of different colors. Usually found at Wal-Mart, Michaels, Joann's/etc.

Gift certificate at a yarn store (like others suggested) is a great idea. Buy her new notions, make her stitch holders.. if you don't know how-- it's easy to do.

I suggest these things- because.. most people that are 'crafty' and knitting qualifies as that.. appreciate gestures of hand-crafted gifts. And it shows that you notice her interest. A gift certificate to Amazon.com is good- she could order knitting books that she's interested in...

GiddyKnitter
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
If someone was buying me a gift I would really appreciate a gift voucher for a yarn shop then I could choose the goodies for myself!

MrsDavis3
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Being a mother who knits, I myself am hoping for some knitting-related Christmas gifts. Last year, I received a ball winder, swift and a Lantern Moon silk needle case (which I love, but frankly I have too many needles to put them all in). If I didn't have a winder and swift, those would be at the top of my list.

Does she do a great variety of projects, or is she comfortable knitting the same patterns over and over? Does she want to branch out? Does she covet expensive yarns and needles, but doesn't buy them? Does she read about knitting?

As for me, I'll be happy to receive any of the following:
1. Colonial rosewood circular needles ( I have only #9)
2. Gift certificate to local yarn store
3. Cro-needle
4. A comprehensive encyclopedia of knitting
5. A set of Cat Bordhi's Magical Markers

DQ
11-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I've got a nice hot water bottle and cover for my MIL. I thought it would be nice for her to have something warm to cuddle whilst she knits :)

TxCynDoll
11-13-2007, 12:03 PM
I knit and crochet gifts...but I never end up doing it for myself...so it would be nice if I got something knitted or crocheted as a gift...or as others have suggested above would be great too...

cindycactus
11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
If she doesn't already have one, a set of Options.:knitting: :cheering:

cftwo
11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm getting my mom yarn, as she won't buy the nice stuff for herself. You could always buy her some MMMMalabrigo.

dustinac
11-13-2007, 05:36 PM
If she doesn't already have one, a set of Options.:knitting: :cheering:
:happydance: ohh I like this idea...and the Gift Certificates...

My mom was just getting into knitting around Mother's Day...so I made her a sock kit... I dyed up some yarn for her...got her some really cute gadgets that normally she wouldn't buy...some cute stitch markers that have the steps to grafting the toe... and I made a little bag to put it all in... so maybe a kit for something you know she wants to knit but hasn't bought the yarn for or something? include the pattern and yarn to make it...

raederle
11-13-2007, 05:43 PM
If you are crafty, I suggest making beaded stitch markers. While getting all the supplies takes a little doing if you are starting from scratch, this is an unexpected, fairly easy-as-falling-off-a-log and useful gift.

There are tutorials on how to do it online...wait a sec, lemme go google it...here we go:
http://www.wormspit.com/stitchmarkers.htm

and the materials aren't that expensive. And I, a complete novice to beading/jewelry making, made a set of 6 during one World Series game, while talking on the phone with my sister.

Suggested supplies:
round nose pliers,
side cutters (wire cutters)
bent needle nose pliers (though any needle nose pliers will do)
head pins
assorted beads (make sure they fit the head pins!)
and the O-ring part of a toogle clasp set

Michael's had a pretty decent set of the pliers and cutter for not too much money. Look thoroughly for the Toggle Clasps, because I couldn't find large numbers for cheap. Better Beads brand has a set of 6. Beads will cost however much you want to spend, but you'll generally have way more than you need. Same goes for head pins.

You may want to make one longer than the rest, to be a "beginning of round" marker.

Voila! Something unique, something pretty, something easy, something quick-to-make, something not too expensive, something useful (especially if they are into lace! and having more than one project on the needles at a time...) and something handmade.

What's not to like?

e

Becky Morgan
11-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Oh, cool idea! Some craft departments have packages of wee little split key rings that might work, too. You could always slide on the last bead you're going to use and glue it over the join so it can't catch on anything.

G J
11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Go to The Yarn Harlot's Blog from Dec. 06 (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2006_12.html) and read the entry for December 23. It's a GREAT letter to anyone wanting to get gifts for the knitterly kind.