PDA

View Full Version : Typical button sizes for adult cardigans?

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I want to add to my button stash and get some beautiful buttons here where I live for future knitted cardigans or sweaters. Problem is..

WHAT is a typical size? How many buttons are usually used for the front of a cardigan or sweater?

I thought that maybe 6 would be enough? However, if I don't get enough- I won't be able get more in the future.

Check out my blog for the entry: buttons to see the buttons that I did buy. *I want to buy MORE.. they are so pretty. BUT, I wanted to make sure that I didn't get buttons too big, too small or not enough of them. *Sounds like something that Goldilocks would say! :D

I realize that it button size does depend on yarn thickness/etc.. but, 'in general' sizes would help me a lot. :)
Thanks for helping.

cam90066
11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
I've used anywhere from 1/2" to 1+". More often than not I lean towards 6-7 of 5/8"-3/4". How wide is your buttonband? Bear in mind it also depends on the length of the front (I like really long cardis), how far apart you want to space them. Also, do you need more of the same for detail (cuff or pocket and, if so, those tend to run smaller). If you're knitting for others keep in mind their needs (such as for elderly larger affords better dexterity or on children's pieces will a parent be doing the buttoning?).

cam

iwouldratherbeknitting
11-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Oh, this will be for "YET TO BE KNITTED" items. :D
AND FOR MEEEEEeeee!

The buttons that I bought- (this past weekend) were 6 of one kind- so, I think the next time that I get a chance to buy some buttons is that I need to buy at least 7 of each type/size.

Thanks for writing and about the sizes.. I think that the ones that I bought were either an inch or 3/4 inches.. something along those lines.