PDA

View Full Version : being evil.....with my kids re: xmas gifts

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
neither thinks they're getting a harry potter sweater, all i knit in front of them are socks or baby hats <WEG>

what they don't know is that i'm taking the time that they're at school and knitting them each one.... I have the sleaves left to do on CJ's, and i have to pick up the yarn for Jon's.. yes, using red heart... it's the only thing i've used on anything for them because it passed the "toddler test" (those with little ones know...) with their afghans (ok, afghans, lovies, super hero capes, etc...) and they're really rough on clothes (Jon is, CJ is my "preppie"... he likes the nice jeans with polo shirts and sneakers)

i'm going to wrap them up with the super hero wrapping paper that corresponds to their favorite hero (Hulk for CJ, Spiderman for Jon) and NOT label them, but make them wait until last for them.... i'll let everyone know their responses on xmas morning! :knitting:

rissa
11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
:cheering: Oh how fun! I have soooo many scarves to knit for Christmas I can't even fathom doing 2 sweaters in that time, hehe. I'm planning to knit 2 things post Christmas. A sweater for me, or for husband...maybe both now that I think of it, lol! And knit some socks. Then we'll see. I love the idea of a weasley sweater! I'm sure they'll adore them!

Jan in CA
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
How old are your sons? I'm sure they'll be thrilled!

dustinac
11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
:happydance: what a great idea!! They will love them

Lisa_H-Town
11-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, as a mom, must resort to sneakiness to preserve the element of surprise!! Good for you! :) I am sure they will be thrilled, especially if they haven't a clue! Look forward to hearing about their reactions!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Jonathan is 9, Caleb is 7. I went and used paint shop pro and downloaded a font called "All Star"... if you line up the center of the letter (the clear portion) onto the graph, it works out perfectly and the sweaters can be customized. Caleb's has a C on it and is in navy blue and buff, Jon's will have a J on it and be maroon and gold (or buff....).

The sweaters are easy stockinette stitch, i did the intarsia for the letter (again, they're rough on clothes, i don't think the duplicate stitch would hold very well). I also decided to do the sleaves seperately instead of picking up stitches as the sweater is too heavy for me to keep flipping it (not to mention too bulky.. my stitches weren't even and i kept losing my place on the decreases every 4th row).

SHOULD i get this done, i'll make them hats in the same colors as their sweaters... see, i have an advantage.. in january we get together with our Tribe and celebrate yule... so i can give them the hats then. I won't be doing anything for my dh or 19 yo ss... dh doesn't wear anything that's not black and/or with some logo (super hero, or music group) without a fight as it is... 19 yo doesnt' take care of anything (his room's worse than the one jon and caleb share... and it's just him in it).

Jon and Caleb (or CJ as he's decided he prefers to be called now, his middle name is James so it works) are both momma's boys and know how long it takes me to make things...

bip
11-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I know it's wrong, but kids are the most fun people to fool :mrgreen: My parents surprised me with a bicycle when I was six, and it took me ages to figure out how they did it. Now that I'm an adult, I can appreciate how easy it was, but I really thought they were practically magic!

lelvsdgs
11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I know it's wrong, but kids are the most fun people to fool :mrgreen: My parents surprised me with a bicycle when I was six, and it took me ages to figure out how they did it. Now that I'm an adult, I can appreciate how easy it was, but I really thought they were practically magic!

It's not wrong! It's fun and then they really get a surprise! My parents did this with us and birthdays and Christmas were always a wonderful surprise.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-13-2007, 05:43 PM
when i was little my cousins and i would always find out what presents were for each other and then trade :)

the boys aren't expecting anything knitted from me... course they also don't find out their gifts until they open them anyway :)

samm
11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
I love sneaky mums!!! The boys will love the surprise! Way to go!

drummerboi202
11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
I wouldnt leave them unlabelled under the tree, you should probably hide them somewhere. When I was nine, during my Christmas break, when my parents were at work, I took every present that I didnt know what it was, slit the tape with a kitchen knife, and peeked under the wrapping paper. I never did it again though, because A. My mom came home early and caught me once, and B. It was no fun on Christmas morning because I already knew what everything was. Anyway, just beware, beause the older kids are sneaky and mischievious.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
11-13-2007, 09:41 PM
we don't put gifts under the tree until the night before.... after they go to bed. between cats that like to knit paper, kids that can't wait (they inherited my impatience... i always say that patience is a virtue i've never possessed LOL), and loving the looks on their faces when they come down christmas morning and dh and I have the lights all on (and caffine in hand!) i learned :)

cheesiesmom
11-13-2007, 09:42 PM
This is NOT evil, or sneaky or anything else. They are Christmas gifts. and as such should be hidden until the big unwrap day!

Gladys