PDA

View Full Version : blocking boards

divagirl
11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Because of my recent foray into lace knitting I am now forced to block. I have never really blocked anything properly before (I know, bad diva!) I read somewhere about someone who made a blocking board out of a piece of plywood wrapped in quilt batting and a sheet. If that was someone on KH do you have any advice for me? We are doing some renovating and I actually have a good sized piece of plywood that would be good. Something like that would be ideal for me because I can put it in my laundry room far, far away from my big shedding dog!

What does everyone like to use for blocking? I have heard/read about everything from ironing boards and the floor in a guest room to interlocking foam floor tiles that you put in the kids playroom. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GiddyKnitter
11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I have to admit to using the ironing board but it wouldn't work for larger items x

mhansen
11-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I also need to make a blocking board. I too have not really blocked anything correctly either (i know, i know). But on the internet I found a site that tells how to make a blocking board and also how to block the different fibers. The site is called Knitty.com.

divagirl
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks1 I figured that the ironing board would be ok for the scarves but I was in trouble with the sweaters...

i read the Knitty article on blocking and methods for fibers, but I missed the one about making a blocking board. off to check it out.

scout52
11-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I use a premade canvas from the art store. its worked well and it was cheap. but i think i may spring for that nice blocking board on knitpicks as a xmas gift to myself.

divagirl
11-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Ok, big DUH on my part...I did read about how to make a blocking board on Knitty, it was a while ago though. does anyone know what the heck homosote is?!?