PDA

View Full Version : FO - my first 'Log Cabin' attempt

knitqueen
11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
I got the book "Mason Dixon Knitting" from the library after seeing Jan's log cabin square. The book is fantastic, and the method of knitting log cabin designs is so interesting and fun. This is my first attempt.

dreamsherl
11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Looks nice!

rissa
11-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Its beautiful! :inlove: I love the colors! I too was inspired by Jan's log cabin square. I made one too, posted it on the squares of many colors thread on the charity board. I think I'll post mine here too. I am quite impressed with yours!

dustinac
11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
I love the colors...very pretty :yay:

mdog182
11-13-2007, 05:59 PM
cute!!! that would make a nice washcloth/pot holder

twowackykids
11-13-2007, 10:23 PM
That's really neat. I've been looking for something like that to use as a door mat. I just may have to check out the book!

knitqueen
11-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone! Twowackykids...the book has some great patterns for rugs and floor mats. I kinda want to make the bathmat that's in there. SO neat.

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 01:32 AM
That's awesome! Are you making a rug or is it for something else? I copied a few patterns before I took it back to the library, but I think I'm going to get that one. :thumbsup:

knitqueen
11-14-2007, 02:08 AM
I'm sending it to Sandy for her charity blanket projects. I had thought of continuing on and making a throw or something like that because I do have oodles of this stash yarn, but I'm not too sure about all of those woven in end tails on the back - then I considered doing a fabric backing on the throw so the ends wouldn't show - then I decided that was too much work right now, especially considering I have other WIP's that need my attention - so I gave up on that idea and when realizing that it was 12"x12", I bound off and know that Sandy will make better use of it than I would at this point!

What I really want to make from that book is the 'Tailgate Rag Rug', which uses all one colour of Peaches 'n Cream yarn but with fabric strips knitted in too. Or, the bathmat.

Ivy-Poo
11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
wow that looks really beautiful! I am a new knitter, So I haven't even heard of Log Cabin squares. Very nice! Now I have something to aspire too! ;)

dmknits
11-14-2007, 11:56 AM
That looks so nice. I like the colors too. :)

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm sending it to Sandy for her charity blanket projects. I had thought of continuing on and making a throw or something like that because I do have oodles of this stash yarn, but I'm not too sure about all of those woven in end tails on the back

I didn't have many ends to weave in..I wove them in as I was knitting. I use the same method you use when doing fair isle and carry the strands across. I can take a picture of the back if you want.

astonh
11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
knitqueen. That is so pretty. Is it for ME? :rofl: Seriously, I LOVE the color combo you selected.

astonh
11-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I didn't have many ends to weave in..I wove them in as I was knitting. I use the same method you use when doing fair isle and carry the strands across. I can take a picture of the back if you want.

Jan in CA... I would be interested in seeing a pix of this if you didn't mind! Thanks!!

VictoiseC
11-14-2007, 02:27 PM
That's sweet! Yes, the techniques is fascinating isn't it? I got a great idea from another book where a designer played around with this idea to make handbags. I made one (I have to sew the strap on) and it just turned out great... you can use all little bits of leftover yarn to make a small/med bag. I'll post a picture when it's sewn up.

monzogary
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
That is a great log cabin square - so.........square LOL! My squares (of any kind) tend to not look quite as squarish as I think they should lol. But yours looks prefect!

knitqueen
11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Jan, yes I would love to see what the back looks like the way you have done it. I didn't feel overwhelmed by the ends when I was finished because as I worked, I wove in the ends, but I did cut the yarn at every colour change.

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Well, this is not a fabulous example, but here you go. You can see on the front side that it doesn't show. The light blue in the middle of the medium blue is the woven in end. I washed and dried the squares and the ends all held fine.

This is not where I learned how to do it, but it's the same thing.
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2006/06/knitting_your_e.html

knitqueen
11-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the pics and the tip, Jan. Do you do this on the row where you are picking up stitches, OR do you do it at the beginning of the next RS row?

Jan in CA
11-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the pics and the tip, Jan. Do you do this on the row where you are picking up stitches, OR do you do it at the beginning of the next RS row?

I do it on the next right side row. If there are two ends (and there usually are) I do the next one on the next (4th?) RS row. I sometimes have to use a crochet hook to pull it through a few threads so there isn't a long float.

ETA: I forgot to mention..before knitting them in I "tie" them once..as if you were going to tie your shoe, but don't do the bow. It may not be necessary, but made me feel better.

nonny2t
11-15-2007, 08:17 AM
That is just lovely! I know you must be proud of such great work!

ah
11-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Looks great! This technique is on my list to try.

ArtLady1981
11-26-2007, 07:45 PM
This is very very beautiful! I love your color choices. What is the total dimensions of what we are viewing? I want to make a log cabin afghan using Stash yarn! Thanks for sharing!!!

cinnamon_girl
11-26-2007, 11:19 PM
You did a super job! And the colors are lovely together! :woohoo:

knitqueen
11-26-2007, 11:37 PM
This is very very beautiful! I love your color choices. What is the total dimensions of what we are viewing? I want to make a log cabin afghan using Stash yarn! Thanks for sharing!!!

The square pictured is 12"x12". It's off in the mail to Sandy for one of the charity blankets she puts together.

Thanks again everyone for all of your wonderful comments! :muah:

auburnchick
11-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Very nice! Log cabin knitting is very interesting. I like the colors you used. They worked well with the pattern.

dawnk777
11-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Great job! You got everything so square!

GinnyG
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Very nice!!!

Maria2009
12-01-2007, 05:20 PM
awesome!

MerigoldinWA
12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Good job!!