PDA

View Full Version : My greatest creation

alleusion
11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Today my 12 year old daughter asked me to teach her how to knit. I have to say, my :heart: kind of leaped a little....my mom never wanted to teach me, even though I asked. She picked it up so quickly too! She did long tail cast on like she'd been doing it since birth. And....she was more comfortable holding the yarn in her left hand, which forced me to relearn continental and now I knit faster that way too.

Someday, I'll finish something I'm working on and perhaps, I can show off her knitting at the same time.

boo1
11-14-2007, 12:02 AM
I wish my Mom was a knitter. She has so much patience, and I never had any growing up. She would have made a great teacher for me!

Sounds like you and your daughter have something wonderful to bond over. So, what is she going to make the new baby? :heart:

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 12:08 AM
I am so happy for you both. Now you two can sit and knit and chat. How wonderful for you both. Enjoy, but beware, this is one addictive hobby!

cindycactus
11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
My mother taught me to knit many moons ago. Then she taught my daughter to crochet. She was wonderful.:heart:

happyanddandy
11-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I would [B]love[B] theday to come that my soon to be 13 year old would ask me to teach her to knit again. She currently has no interest. When she was much younger she did learn but got frustrated at her progress and has shown no interest since.

jenlee
11-14-2007, 12:53 PM
That is nice that she asked you to teach her. I was so excited when my 12 year old neice asked me, shes since lost interest but it was a nice way to spend the day we went to the yarn store I let her pick out what she wanted , went to lunch came home and hung out for the afternoon knitting she pick it up pretty fast too. So I'm hoping one day she will want to do it again.

Cecily
11-14-2007, 01:59 PM
My Mom taught me to knit. I wasn't interested at the time but she insisted and I am glad she did. I love it now that I am an adult. I am 46 and have been knitting for 20 years. I hope to teach my children some day. One is 21 and the other is 17. My youngest has a good friend that knits all the time. Her mother and I are part of a knit club at her church. Knitting (and other needlecrafts) are a huge part of my life.

alleusion
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I took a nap this afternoon and she was knitting on her own. I came downstairs and she had a little swatch of garter stitch because she couldn't remember how to purl :). Her stitches are so nice and even. I wish mine looked like that when I first started. After things get done today, I'm going to show her binding off.

She wants to make something in cross stitch for the baby and knit something for herself. So I guess, learning how to read a pattern is something to consider for a future lesson.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I took a nap this afternoon and she was knitting on her own. I came downstairs and she had a little swatch of garter stitch because she couldn't remember how to purl :). Her stitches are so nice and even. I wish mine looked like that when I first started. After things get done today, I'm going to show her binding off.

She wants to make something in cross stitch for the baby and knit something for herself. So I guess, learning how to read a pattern is something to consider for a future lesson.

That's wonderful. Looks like she is serious about learning to knit. Way to go Mom! Yes, the next step is to teach her to read a pattern, but first to bind off the swatch so she has her first actual piece of work to keep. Great stuff. Perhaps she could learn the Ribs and Ruffles Scarf, it's very easy as you know, and then she could make a scarf for YOU while you are making hers. You could do a Ribs and Ruffles KAL (knit along). Again congrats and keep up the good work!

Speaking of napping, I think I will go do that. I was up all night knitting on the Teddy All-In-One because now I have three to make instead of two.

Happy Knitting!

GinnyG
11-14-2007, 05:04 PM
That is just wonderful!!! I wanted so badly to teach my daughter to knit (she's grown now) and she was never interested.

I hope you have a wonderful time knitting together!!!

lelvsdgs
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
I am glad that you have been able to pass this along to your daughter. It is a great gift to teach a life skill like knitting to someone and she will always think of you when she picks up her knitting. I know I always think of my mother and grandmother when I do now... :heart: