PDA

View Full Version : Mulder has diabetes, hugs needed UPDATE PG 2

Mulderknitter
11-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I know it's not so bad, people live with diabetes eery day. And he's such a good kitty, didn't mind us doing the test run in the vet's office with saline... but I am just so worried that my "baby" is `12 and starting to show old folks diseases. I am not at all prepared to face the fact that my "sexy man" has mortalitly. He's fine, he doesnt care about the insulin shot as long as he is distracted, but I am the one going nutty about my boy getting old and getting an "old" persons disease. I know that he can live comfortably for many more years. But how have you all dealt with your most beloved pet getting older?
I just don't know how to do this? I guess my brain/heart had always made me believe that he would be here long after me..how do you accept that a beloved pet has a lifespan?

Ronda
11-13-2007, 10:51 PM
My dog is only 3, so I haven't had to deal with anything like this yet. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. :hug:

ladyjessica
11-13-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't have any experience with cats, but my oldest dog is 13. He doesn't have diabetes, but he does have severe arthritis in his hips. He also has some hearing loss, and sometimes he just wanders around and stares. But, at other times he's perfectly fine. His back legs don't want to hold him up as well anymore, but he still tries to keep up with the younger ones. He's still a sweetie and he still needs constant love and companionship.

It's really hard for me to see him try to jump and fall, or try to turn around and his backside hits the floor because his legs won't support him. But, I just do the best I can for him in the time he has left, which will hopefully be many more years. He takes medicine for his hips, and like I said, he still tries. I just pet him and give him hugs and kisses and play with him and make him feel special, because he's always made me feel special. I lost my 9 year-old dog last year to cancer, and I've learned that the best thing you can do for them is to make them happy and comfortable, and when their time comes, you do what's best for them, not for you.

If your kitty doesn't seem to mind what's happening, I'd just be thankful for that and treasure him for as long as you have him, which hopefully will be a good long time. :grphug:

stitchwitch
11-13-2007, 11:12 PM
OK, I know you probably don't want to hear somebody say it's going to be ok because that sounds like a cliche but it's going to be ok. My mother in law's cat was once very vivacious and then started losing weight. She finally took him to the vet and found out he had diabetes. He's on insulin and he looks so great now it's unbelievable, he went from looking like he was going to die to being his old self. I think it will be ok. Sadly, my mother in law passed away a year ago but Midnight is still going strong with his new family.:hug:

scout52
11-13-2007, 11:22 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

oh i can't imagine what you are feeling right now. I was in tears reading your post. I know cats are fine as long as they get their shots just like people but it does remind you that they will eventually go. But that's great Mulder doesnt' mind the shot it make it easier right? i would imagine it would be so much worse if he hated it. My friends cat had diabetes and lived for another 13 years after diagnoses. yep that cat lived for 23 years!!!!

Mulderknitter
11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Oh gosh thanks you guys! :muah: I realy just need someone to tell me that he will be fine! I appreciate the loves more than you know!:hug:

bailsmom
11-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Many hugs to you :hug: . I speak from recent experience in the field of diabetes. My Eddie was diagnosed, well, it's been a year now. He was peeing like you wouldn't believe and drinking as if the water was never coming back. I felt so helpless and scared even knowing that he could live a wonderful life it's just something else to think about.

BUT!!! I can offer you hope my dear. First of all, is he on dry or canned food? If he's on dry, switch him as fast as you can to canned. Yes it is more expensive, but so was that bottle of Lantus I had to buy. $83.00 :noway: . My DH is a type 1 diabetic and his only costs us $10 a month. So I was shocked at that amount. And I called around to all the pharmacies in my area, Target was the cheapest.

If he is already on canned food, then may I suggest going to this website http://www.felinediabetes.com/. It has a wealth of information on this disease and they say that if it's caught early enough the cat can revert back to being a normal healthy cat. We haven't had to give him a shot for a year now and he's just as rambuctious as he ever was, plus he's put on more weight. And his brother is healthier now too.

See (if you don't already know this) cats are carnivours, they eat meat. And the dry cat food is basically all carbs. And the carbs are what have thrown his system out of whack. Yes the canned food is a bit more expensive, but it sure beats having to give him a shot everyday of his life. We've checked his sugars once in a while and he's always been in the normal range. He took it like a trooper. Even the testing of his sugars.

Here's one more website I found, it was so very helpful to us during the rough time. http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/index.html

Don't make the same mistake we did and buy the dry food the vet said to give him, it's the same stuff that's in every other dry food. :??

If you need any more help just let me know. :thumbsup:

redmom37
11-14-2007, 03:38 AM
my dog has diabetes & she is only 4, I also have type 2 so I know its hard to deal with, but I think he will be ok:hug: .

KnittingNat
11-14-2007, 03:46 AM
:hug: I hope Mulder will be ok and live to see the old age of cats.:muah:

rachejm
11-14-2007, 06:30 AM
I know its hard. Admittedly both of our family cats were run over so didn't get much of a chance to get to that stage. Its really hard but its something you just have to deal with and everyone finds their own way of doing it.

That said, my aunt's cat is diabetic. He had to have insulin injections for a while then he recovered - cats can recover from diabetes. He is back on the injections now but that is because he kept stealing the other cat's food rather than eating his special diet food.

I'm sure Mulder will be with you for many years to come.

dustinac
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
:hug:

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2007, 11:58 AM
:hug:

marykz
11-14-2007, 11:58 AM
aw, that's just not fair.... sorry for you both.

we are having older pet issues too... I can't admit my dogs (basset hounds) are 13 and 11, which is pretty senior for their breed.

my MIL had a cat with diabetes who really did just fine for several years after Dx. she'd just grab him by his scruff for the injection, and always provide lots of water. (he seemed really thirsty she said) I think he needed some special food too. Fred was a tough old tomcat and he lived a long happy life. my MIL found him scrounging behing the nursing home she supervised and brought him home, and he stayed for at least 15 years after that. I think 4 of it with diabetes.

She swore that he never fought the injections- she said she believed he knew it made him feel better. :shrug:

hugs, MKZ

Spikey
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear about Mulder! Our older Kitty is 17 and was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago. He has been doing great so far! Much easier to give him the insulin than it ever was to give him a pill. We do it while he is eating - he doesn't even notice.
As was mentioned, our vet has us switch to wet food tailored to diabetic cats. He has lost quite a bit of weight so far, enough to reduce his insulin dose. Some cats are able to go off insulin all together. I hope that is the case for Mulder. Crossed Fingers
Although it is always hard to see our loved ones showing the signs of age, keeping his blood sugar at a good level will make him feel a whole lot better.
We also keep a bottle of Karo syrup around, in case his blood sugar level gets too low - which has happened once or twice. A bit of that put right on the tongue perked him right back up.

Mulderknitter
11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I really appreicate all of the advice and such. I was too much of a wreck last night to give much details, so I thought I would post an update.
I first noticed something was wrong when he was having peeing accidents. At the vet they said he had dropped from 19 pounds to 15 in only 6 months. He also had pancreatitis a few years ago which can lead to diabetes.
So after a hectic night of changing foods, getting everything together, giving the first dose (I of course stabbed myself with the needle before I did anything else:roflhard: ) he's just ornery from being at the vet so much. I know some of you said the wet food is great, but unfortunately he only eats the dry food, and we also have Itchy who had to switch foods too so that Mulder isn't snacking on bad stuff, and Itchy will only eat the dry food. But they both seem to really like the new stuff.
The vet is optimistic that he can go into remission and get off the insulin, so that is a positive. And the meds are expensive, but not anything I can't deal with.
Thanks again everyone for all the hugs, I really needed a bit of encouragement!:grphug:

stitchwitch
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Glad today is better. Wishing Mulder a speedy recovery and a happy, healthy life from now on. :hug:

scout52
11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Ooh I hope your finger is ok from the stab!! Well at least Itchy is going to get healthier as well so consider that a good thing. poor mulder it must be so stressful to keep going to the vet. give him kisses for me!!

mare-nitt
11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Everything will turn out ok. Just follow your vets advice and listen to Mulder, he will help you know what to do also.
This brought back such memories for me, I had Wess, who was my bestest friend and at the age of 9 and 24 lbs (he was always a big Tuxedo cat) When I found out he had diabetes, I was so upset and worried.
But I took care of him and he lost weight and lived 8 more wonderful years. And even then it was hard to let go. But he had a good life and he filled a big part of my heart.
You will do fine, and if caught in time it can be reversed.

bailsmom
11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
I really appreicate all of the advice and such. I was too much of a wreck last night to give much details, so I thought I would post an update.
I first noticed something was wrong when he was having peeing accidents. At the vet they said he had dropped from 19 pounds to 15 in only 6 months. He also had pancreatitis a few years ago which can lead to diabetes.
So after a hectic night of changing foods, getting everything together, giving the first dose (I of course stabbed myself with the needle before I did anything else:roflhard: ) he's just ornery from being at the vet so much. I know some of you said the wet food is great, but unfortunately he only eats the dry food, and we also have Itchy who had to switch foods too so that Mulder isn't snacking on bad stuff, and Itchy will only eat the dry food. But they both seem to really like the new stuff.
The vet is optimistic that he can go into remission and get off the insulin, so that is a positive. And the meds are expensive, but not anything I can't deal with.
Thanks again everyone for all the hugs, I really needed a bit of encouragement!:grphug:

When we switched to the canned food our Eddie (the diabetic one) took to it right away, Max did not. It took him a good 2-3 weeks before he stopped the fight and he's loved it ever since. I know it can take some cats quite a while to take to a new texture of food. As long as 2 months! But if it gets them into remission why the heck not!!

I just wanted you to know they can change, that's all. Forgive me, I just love animals and since it's worked for so many other cats I want it to work for yours too.

I hope he can beat this disease like so many others have. Good luck.

stitchwitch
11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks Bails for the tip on the soft food. We feed my kitty dry food and wet food as a treat every day but I'm going to definitely incorporate at least a 50/50 mix from now on. She isn't diabetic but I don't want her to be either.
It's a shame poor Mulder had to get sick for all of us to get this good info.

KnitClickChick
11-15-2007, 09:37 PM
:hug: I'm sure your baby will be just fine! My oldest cat is about 13 years old, and fortunately he still runs around and plays, like a youngster. The second oldest cat is about 12, and she also still runs, plays and acts much younger. My two youngest are only 3, so hopefully I won't have to deal with anything with them for quite some time. Last year, I had a 5th cat, however she was very sickly right from the start. Long story short, she passed away at only 1 year old. We did all we could, but it just wasn't meant to be. I still tear up remembering how she slept on the pillow above my head all night, purring and purring. It is very hard losing a pet, especially since we don't have kids, our cats are like our children.

Mulderknitter
11-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks Knit cc... I don't have kids either, but I just keep thinking, 12 years with another soul is so long.. I'm not ready to give that up...
On the positive, Mulder doesn't even seem to notice the shots. Tonight I loaded the shot and found him in his favorite sock drawer, grabbed his neck and gave him the shot. he just looked at me like "why are u bugging me?"
This would suck a lot more if he was bothered by the shots:heart:

Becky Morgan
11-15-2007, 10:40 PM
One thing you might want to have handy, if the vet hasn't mentioned it, is some glucose gel just in case he ever goes into insulin shock. It's available over the counter in just about any pharmacy or the health section of discount stores (it's with the diabetic supplies.) Humans have the drinks and tablets, but for animals the gel works better. It probably won't happen, but just in case! You can use some other household stuff, but ask the vet about it. If/when he starts to come out of his diabetes, as cats often do, it may be handy to know.

KnitClickChick
11-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Tonight I loaded the shot and found him in his favorite sock drawer, grabbed his neck and gave him the shot. he just looked at me like "why are u bugging me?"

:teehee: What a sweetie! I'm glad to know that he doesn't seem bothered too much by the shots.