PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel guilty....

holamiis
11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
when they don't knit? I do. I spend so much money on yarn and tools and I have a loooooong christmas list to knit on but I've got this itch to read a book. I don't have the skills to knit and read at the same time (I know some of you do....I kinda hate you:) so I'm stuck with the choice of reading, enjoying and feeling super guilty OR knit and wish I were reading.

When did my hobby become a guilt-trip?!??!!

PS. I knit super slow, so any time out for extra-curricular activities probably means one less FO by December 25th.

boo1
11-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I haven't knitted all evening and I feel guilty about it! I'm drowning in yarn and have both crocheted and knitted WIPs just sitting nearby. And I'm watching "Boston Legal". After having bought some Touch Me chenille today.

One mitigating factor-the book I'm reading is one of the Yarn Harlot ones.

(By the way, how is The Quarter Stitch?)

Ingrid
11-14-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't feel guilty about doing anything else. Knitting is my hobby, and I do it because I love to. It would be awful if I only knit because I HAD to.

amy
11-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Awww, don't feel guilty! No one on your list needs to get a hand knitted item. They'd all appreciate it of course, but worst case scenario, you just buy them something instead, right? (and Merry Christmas to you, as you re-appropriate all that yarn! :happydance:)

But as far as reading and knitting, these two things are definitely born to go hand in hand. I originally taught myself to knit w/o looking precisely so I could read at the same time, but in fact I rarely do it, I find it cumbersome. I much prefer to simply get Audio books! (I LOOOOOVE knitting to Audio Books. Truly addictive.)

This isn't the most modern collection of audio books, but this site has a bunch of free ones:
www.audiobooksforfree.com (http://www.audiobooksforfree.com)
I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan. I've probably listened to every one of the ones they have, and they have a bunch.

boo1
11-14-2007, 01:38 AM
This isn't the most modern collection of audio books, but there are some nice classics for free online here:
www.audiobooksforfree.com (http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/)

Thanks for the idea. I tend to forget about books on tape (sorry, my age is showing, books on CD)

:)

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Nope, I don't feel guilty if I do something else. It's supposed to be fun and if it isn't I stop for awhile.

ArtLady1981
11-14-2007, 04:04 AM
I feel guilty that my house is not spic-n-span...yet I'd rather knit, and do.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 04:50 AM
I try to make sure the cleaning is done before I sit down for a marathon knitting session. Sometimes, however, these marathons just happen without any planning. That is why I am answering this thread at 3:50 a.m. (and yes, my house is clean, for now!) LOL

Quiara
11-14-2007, 06:19 AM
I've been on a sort of knitting hiatus. (Knitting - not yarn buying...) Anyway, tonight I got out the yarn and the notebook and plotted a couple of projects. Tomorrow, I run to the yarn store for some last minute needs and start with my knitting again. It feels good to feel like knitting again. I've been sick and haven't been up to much of anything.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Well I am glad you are feeling well enough to knit again. Nothing is as soothing as producing something with your own hands. Best of luck and keep on getting better each day.

KnitKnot
11-14-2007, 06:38 AM
This thread made me laugh out loud! :roflhard: I am always feeling pulled towards my knitting....I'm sure it can talk...."come on, you know you want to purl....just one little row....it can't hurt...." Honestly it's like a chocolate commercial! The fact that I have a house renovation on the go is just a major interference to my more imporant duty to work through the wool mountain in the spare room. It's not looking pretty. The only guilt I feel is due to the whining from family members about why I'm knitting for one and not the other. I guess I should feel happy that they like what they get from my pins. On the other hand, Christmastime does make me feel the pressure to get all my unfinished "promises" sewn up and wrapped/ :aww:

KnitKnot
11-14-2007, 06:42 AM
I just read Amy's note on audio books - what a fabulous idea! I love books too but am too clumsy and thick headed to take my eyes off the needles so this sounds absolutely brilliant! thanks for that - I'm off to hunt for some tapes...

DQ
11-14-2007, 06:48 AM
I like to read in the bath, I don't feel guilty about not knitting there! :teehee:

Yarnlady
11-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Check your local library for audio books. Mine has tons of them! Right now I'm listening to the first Dexter book....America's favorite serial killer! ;)

dustinac
11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Nope, I don't feel guilty either... yesterday I didn't touch my knitting needles...I agree check with books on audio if you do feel guilty...I enjoy to curl up with a good book though and just get lost in that world and knitting I think would keep me half in the book's world and half in this world :teehee: ....I can't sit down and knit unless I have cleaned and have a load of clothes or dishes going...if I do I just feel to guilty and then I don't enjoy my knitting...so gotta stop and clean, better just to get it out of the way so I don't have to stop...

GiddyKnitter
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I never feel guilty knitting it is my passion! Having said that I always make sure I have done all my jobs before sitting down with my knitting. I don't read at the same time I save reading for bed time it helps me to get off to sleep.

boo1
11-14-2007, 09:43 AM
so very few projects. This was worse when I was crocheting all the time because it takes so much more yarn to crochet, I have mountains of it. My husband doesn't get it, and grumbles about my growing stash. (Of course, since I started knitting, I buy more higher end yarns, but it doesn't take as much so that's my justification, right?).....

gingerbread
11-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Oh don't feel guilty for not knitting, I went the whole day yesterday not knitting. It was my bithday and so I just went with the day. It was great lots of knitting presents. Ya for birthdays now :woot: so anyway don't feel guilty,and the audio books are great. :thumbsup:

jenlee
11-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Nope I dont feel guiltly for not knitting somedays nor do I feel guilty for knittng when thiers other thing to do like clean the house etc
(the mess will be there when im done).I love to read too,I've tried the audio books as long as I'm doing simple knitting I can concentrate on both otherwise I just keep them seperate

Plantgoddess+
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM
For me knitting is a hobby, same as reading and my outdoor recreation. I knit when I have time and like to listen to talk radio or audio books. In the evenings I generally have the tv on and knit or read and watch tv.
Enjoy knitting when you want and read when you can.

dawnk777
11-14-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't know if I could knit and read at the same time, but the audio book thing is something to think about!

JoeE
11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
I know where you're coming from. I got in a no-knitting mood this summer, and I do feel bad about all that yarn and those needles just sitting around. Maybe now that it's getting colder weather I'll get back in the saddle.

lelvsdgs
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM
I knit because I am...
Actually, knitting really is saving my sanity. But sometimes I have other things to do like spend time with my daughter... of course I ususally have my knitting with me. We also parallel play, I knit and she beads, sews, paints or whatever else she's doing...

elaineb
11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Don't feel guilty--Christmas comes every year ! My sis is getting the shawl I started for last Christmas this year :blush: , at least I hope so! I do wish my house was neater though--although I'm really not sure if I can blame it on knitting-but it sounds good anyway lol.

spooky
11-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Don't feel guilty and don't over stress about knitting EVERYONE a xmas gift. I made everyone a gift last year and just about killed myself. I didn't buy one person one thing. All hand made. And do you know what?!!! It breaks your heart to see all your sweat and tears thrown in a dresser drawer or buried in the closet when you see that person you gave that gift to. I think that is mainly why I took such a long break from knitting. Oh sure I knitted a baby blanket here and there, but I made sure that I got paid for it. IT HAD TO BE LOVED THEN!!! LOL!! But after a year I think I can finally start knitting again!! Don't stress!! Enjoy it!! If you feel guilty then YOU'RE STRESSING OVER IT.... and then its totally time to put down the needles and go read a book. I just finished "The Devil Wears Prada
last night and then started right into "Bridgette Jones' Diary" (yes yes all movie books... don't judge me lol) and I don't feel one bit guilty!! Just remember that Black Friday is right around the corner and if you add up the money you spent on yarn and all your time... it might be easier (and a heck less stressful) to go out and just buy a couple gifts. I once heard that you don't give a hand-knit sweater to a non-knitter. That is soooooooo true!!!