PDA

View Full Version : Hi, my name is The.Knitter

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 12:47 AM
... and I am a knitaholic. It all started 27 years ago when a neighbour used to sit on her verandah and knit. I would sit in the backyard with my baby and watch her. Finally one day she said hello and so did I. Well, to make a long story short, she taught me to knit and I did for a while. Then life happened and I got busy raising children and working and didn't knit again for a long time.

Well, my children grew up and moved out and had children of their own. When my first grandchild was coming along, I started knitting again, because that is what Gramma's do.

The rest is history. I have been knitting ever since. I would rather knit than read or watch tv or some days even sleep. Knitting is my sanity. Knittiing is my addiction. Knitting is LIFE to me.

Thankyou for listening. Anyone else care to share?

:aww:

Jan in CA
11-14-2007, 01:24 AM
I just started knitting a little over 2 yrs ago. I crocheted for many, many years - made my DDs both baby blankets and the infamous granny square king size bedspread...:zombie: I was so sick of it by the time I was done I only left it on the bed for a short time and then donated it. :teehee:

I've always preferred the way knitting looks to crochet, but thought it was too hard... :roll: No grandkids to knit for, my DDs are too picky for the most part so I do a lot of knitting for charity. Just learned socks on two circs and found a new love! I love knitting!

Knitting_Guy
11-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Hi!

I'm not a knitaholic, I can quit any time want to.

Really.

Seriously.

I just don't want to.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
That is called denial (which is NOT a river)!

Thanks for the laugh Mason!

cindycactus
11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi!

Really.

Seriously.

I just don't want to.
:roflhard: :roflhard: :knitting: :knitting:

Abbily
11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi, I'm Carey, and I am addicted to knitting! :) My grandma taught me to knit when I was a kid, but I never really got into it. Then in January of this year she was diagnosed with a blood cancer and only a few months to live. So, I took up knitting again so I could sit with her every day and knit and she could give me pointers, plus it gave us something else to talk about. I'm so glad I did. She passed away in June, but I still love knitting. :)

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi, I'm Carey, and I am addicted to knitting! :) My grandma taught me to knit when I was a kid, but I never really got into it. Then in January of this year she was diagnosed with a blood cancer and only a few months to live. So, I took up knitting again so I could sit with her every day and knit and she could give me pointers, plus it gave us something else to talk about. I'm so glad I did. She passed away in June, but I still love knitting. :)

Sounds like she left you with a piece of her. She gave you a gift that you will have forever and memories that will never fade. Each time you pick up your knitting you will be close to your Grandma. That is a wonderful thing. I am so glad for you that you got to spend those last most important hours doing something together that you both loved. Keep on knitting and loving it! She's with you every stitch of the way.

msmelody
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I am a knitter.

This is grand.

I often go around with sharp needles in hand.

Projects come and projects go,

But please do not ask about the UFOs.

If I am addicted, please do not tell me what the cure is. Denial is a river in Egypt when it comes to knitting.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 01:17 PM
LOVE it!! Three cheers for your DH!

divagirl
11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
My MIL had no idea when she suggested I take the knitting class at church that it was going to blossom into this addiction. Knitting is my therepy, I love to knit. I love the feel of the yarn through my fingers. I love the sense of accomplishment whe I am finished with something. I love the sound of the needles clicking together. I love that cables look waaaay harder than they really are! I have gone to the LYS just to pet yarn when I was having a bad day becuase petting the yarn made me feel better. I can't wait for DH to hit the powerball so I can knit all the time. :mrgreen: This whole day job, pay the bills thing really cuts into my knitting time!

SnarfyCat
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi!

Really.

Seriously.

I just don't want to.

*laughs* You just keep telling yourself that Mason, someday you may actually convince yourself of that!!

SnarfyCat
11-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I have gone to the LYS just to pet yarn when I was having a bad day becuase petting the yarn made me feel better.

Ooooooo....thanks for the great idea!! Athena yarn is _really_ going to get sick of me!! (LYS)

alleusion
11-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi I'm Jenny and I'm a closet yarn freak.

I won't say knit-a-holic because I'm too in love with the yarn to just knit with it. I taught myself how to crochet when I was pregnant with DD because I wanted to make her these adorable roller skate booties my mother's boyfriend's mother made for my sister's baby shower (whew mouthful). Anyway, here's that bootie...

http://www.alleusion.com/pictures/rightskate.jpg

Then, when my DS was about 2, I thought I'd always wanted to learn how to knit and I had all this yarn anyways...So I bought a Learn knitting in 2 days book. Years and years later, I still didn't have the hang of it.

I think I have crafter's ADD because I keep starting things and never finish them. I go to yarn stores just to pet the yarn and dream about what I can get and start and maybe someday finish. I go to Michaels all the time to window shop. I can't pass the craft section in Wal Mart without looking (and petting) the yarn. I'm a closet yarn snob as well...I long to spend the money on the really expensive really luxurious yarns, but know I can't and settle for what I can afford....and it comes out just fine.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi I'm Jenny and I'm a closet yarn freak.

I won't say knit-a-holic because I'm too in love with the yarn to just knit with it. I taught myself how to crochet when I was pregnant with DD because I wanted to make her these adorable roller skate booties my mother's boyfriend's mother made for my sister's baby shower (whew mouthful). Anyway, here's that bootie...

http://www.alleusion.com/pictures/rightskate.jpg

What adorable baby booties those are. Did you learn how to make them? They are too cute for words!

Happy Knitting!

alleusion
11-14-2007, 07:17 PM
What adorable baby booties those are. Did you learn how to make them? They are too cute for words!

Happy Knitting!

Yep, they're crochet. I have a pattern book with all kinds of booties-that-look-like-regular-shoes. I even altered the pattern for a boy to make roller blades.

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Yep, they're crochet. I have a pattern book with all kinds of booties-that-look-like-regular-shoes. I even altered the pattern for a boy to make roller blades.

Dammit woman, you ARE good! Those would be so cute on a baby. How inventive you can be!

sarahzknitty
11-14-2007, 10:39 PM
My name is Sarah, and I too am a knitaholic. My FIL actually got me addicted....it's all his fault.
I use to crochet, he confused it for knitting and bought me my first needles, some yarn and the Stitch N Bitch book. I only did it for his approval...now I just can't stop myself.:violin: