PDA

View Full Version : yarn suggestions

aggie325
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I am interested in making the "unoriginal hat" from yarnharlot, and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for yarns/suppliers. She used Blue Moon Fibers "Leticia" and the gauge on the lable states 2 sts/in on size 10 needles. It's not available near me, so I am looking for substitutions. Thanks!

knitgal
11-14-2007, 10:14 PM
I LOVE that hat! Isn't it the cutest? The yarn that she used is a bulky yarn, so any bulky yarn would work. Here's a whole bunch on Webs (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/2-0-1294/0/7/). The Classic Elite Paintbox would be gorgeous, or maybe Berroco Hip Hop in Dude? Or Berroco Foliage? Malabrigo Chunky would be lovely too, or Misti Alpaca Hand Paint Chunky in 01....GORGEOUS! Okay, maybe I need to make this hat too.....hope my drooling over yarn helped you!

Quiara
11-15-2007, 01:40 AM
The second one she made is worsted weight held double, so that would work, too, if you have some yarn you like. Personally, that's what I'm doing. I ordered some custom dyed yarn from Hawthorne Home Yarn (LOVE!) and it's perfect for that hat.

suzeeq
11-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Worsted weight doubled on 10s?! Omigosh that would be like a helmet....

Quiara
11-15-2007, 03:12 AM
I'm actually using 3-ply from Purewool, but I've done it before and it's not at all "helmet" - even in standard worsted. I used Wool Ease on 10's and made a very happy (warm) and not at all armor-esque hat. ^_^