PDA

View Full Version : Can I substitute?

The.Knitter
11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
My pattern calls for Rowan Westminster Trading Cabled Mercerized Cotton, can I substitute it for Bernat Handicrafter Cotton? I found a MASSIVE sale on the Bernat but don't know if it will be the same as the Rowan. Can anyone advise me please?

:hug:

Ingrid
11-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Mercerized Cotton has a sheen to it from whatever they do to make it mercerized. The cabled part makes it more like a very thin rope, if you know what I mean.

Bernat is fluffier and less tightly plied, without the sheen.

That said, it's worth a try if the gauge is the same.

brittyknits
11-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Ahhhh, but the gauge isn't the same, unfortunately. The Rowan is 28 sts and 30 rows, and the Bernat is 20 sts and 26 rows. So you'd have to really alter the pattern by a good bit, and the drape would be very different. It's not that it's impossible or even a bad idea-- it's just that you'd come out with a completely different sweater:) .

marykz
11-15-2007, 11:04 AM
what about Patons Grace? it is mercerized, and I think has a similar gauge- I'm sure it is less expensive than Rowan.... I just looked at the gauge for grace and it is 24 stitches for 4 inches, so it is closer.

The.Knitter
11-15-2007, 11:07 AM
what about Patons Grace? it is mercerized, and I think has a similar gauge- I'm sure it is less expensive than Rowan.... I just looked at the gauge for grace and it is 24 stitches for 4 inches, so it is closer.

24 stitches and how many rows? and is it cabled?

marykz
11-15-2007, 12:47 PM
here's the yarndex link:
http://yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=1727

and Paton's website about it...
http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=grace

I don't know if I'd call it "cabled" but it is "ropier" than the regular cotton.

I have seen it in Michael's if you have one near you...

Songbirdy
11-15-2007, 02:45 PM
The owner of my LYS is looking up how much it would cost her to order it in to her store in Guelph for you. At the moment she is very confident she can order it from her suppliers.

;)

The.Knitter
11-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Tell her we don't want to order it until AFTER Christmas, but that if she can get it for me, I would be a very happy camper. (that is the Rowan we are talking about isn't it?) Thanks.

Songbirdy
11-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Fair enough, and yes... the Rowan!

I think she has to contact a few people anyways.

The.Knitter
11-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Wonderful. Thanks so much for all your help! Have a great day.

knitgal
11-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I saw the Patons Grace at Mary Maxim last weekend, so you could check it out next time you're there?